Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well it is better than the prequels for sure, but that isn't a huge achievement.

The CGI resurrections got more iffy the more screentime they had. But the effort does give promise, that one day in the not so far future CGI people can be seamlessly composioned among real actors without standing out too much.

I think the film is actually getting slack from lot of people just because it was not the utter failure it could have been. And the due to the fanservice moments. And because it is Star Wars. Frankly, if it was just a sci-fi film not in the franchise, I am pretty sure no one would really care about it.

I'm not saying it is a bad movie. It is just not really a good movie either by many standards.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Yup, I'm pretty surprised why many critics praising Rogue One as one of the best movies in 2016.. I was too bothered by the sluggish pacing, and the movie could've been shorter, like 30-minutes shorter. Somewhat disappointing that it still has some 'underdeveloped' characters considering its duration. I pretty much have the same opinion, it's just an OK movie. If it's not Star Wars anthology, I bet people couldn't care less about it.

I think Donnie Yen and (maybe) Felicity acting are praiseworthy though, so there's that.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
A friend put it well, that Hollywood is in serious phase of 'pretty good I guess *shrug*' films.

Fantastic Beasts, Rogue One, Doctor Strange and many other recent blockbusters really fall to this description. Personal taste might put them in slightly different ranking order for everyone, but essentially they are almost all the same. Kinda good I guess .
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well, I don't think that any of the Star Wars series has won any of the major Academy Awards... Nobody really expects that. We're in it for the ride. :D

There's actually two ways to rate movies and this is the other one.
I love Star Wars. I'm a fan. I didn't expect a high class genre defining drama. This just wasn't that good a film. Despite style and genre, any type of film can be excellent experience - a good ride. This ride was good for at times, it was inconsistent. It was just decent. I don't remember a single scene or line in detail anymore, I just didn't find it particulary impressive in any angle.

Previous films have won awards for editing, music, sound, effects, costume design, set decoration. Nominations have been for direction, writing, best picture and suporting actors. Now define 'major'. I suspect this one gonna get nods for the effects and possibly for sound design and possibly art direction, but I don't thin it has a chance of winning in other than effects.

Imho how much money a film makes isn't rating the film itself. It's rating how succesfully it has been marketed, distributed and generally spread. Obviously it certainly is a merit to the film, and rating in the sense that it shows that people wanted to see it. It just doesn't tell what the people actually thought about or how it affected them. Or how well the film itself is done, written and directed. Objectively shitty films make good profit all the time.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Previous films have won awards for editing, music, sound, effects, costume design, set decoration. Nominations have been for direction, writing, best picture and suporting actors. Now define 'major'. I suspect this one gonna get nods for the effects and possibly for sound design and possibly art direction, but I don't thin it has a chance of winning in other than effects.
I agree 100% with that.

The 'major' Academy Awards are:
Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor
Best Actress
And you can even throw in the 'Best Supporting Actor/Actress' ones as well, so 4-6 awards depending on your definition.
Most of the rest of the Academy Awards are technical specialization awards plus Animation, Short Film, and Documentary type categories.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
It looks very pretty. Gave me chills too. So far so good.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Only been waiting for this...for what...idk,33yrs:gnut
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I love Star Wars. I'm a fan. I didn't expect a high class genre defining drama. This just wasn't that good a film. Despite style and genre, any type of film can be excellent experience - a good ride. This ride was good for at times, it was inconsistent. It was just decent. I don't remember a single scene or line in detail anymore, I just didn't find it particulary impressive in any angle.

Previous films have won awards for editing, music, sound, effects, costume design, set decoration. Nominations have been for direction, writing, best picture and suporting actors. Now define 'major'. I suspect this one gonna get nods for the effects and possibly for sound design and possibly art direction, but I don't thin it has a chance of winning in other than effects.

Imho how much money a film makes isn't rating the film itself. It's rating how succesfully it has been marketed, distributed and generally spread. Obviously it certainly is a merit to the film, and rating in the sense that it shows that people wanted to see it. It just doesn't tell what the people actually thought about or how it affected them. Or how well the film itself is done, written and directed. Objectively shitty films make good profit all the time.
Just got around to seeing and I can understand where your coming from in the sense that people are heaping more praise on it that it probably deserves. It's not as world shaking as I've had people tell me it is.

I did love it though. It's kind of a war movie and a really well done one at that while maintaining that "Star Wars feel". Which is pretty impressive. As ensemble movies about heroism and sacrifice go I thought it was really good. And needless to say it's the best star wars prequel by like a million miles.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Far out Blade Runner 2049 could actually be great. Quite nostalgic. Wonder how noir-ish it will be? And if we see coca-cola on billboards once more... I think I might watch the old one again (got it on VHS though, not sure if the VCR works anymore).

Also Harrison Ford doing another Han Solo reboot, I like.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I'm guessing I have to see Bladerunner the way you all are talking about it?

What do you all think of the new Mummy movie coming out? Think it'll be "eh" or worse, "oh god no!"? Also, if anyone is even curious about it, the rebooted Tomb Raider movie will start production in January of 2017.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
So I finally saw Rogue One yesterday and to put it shortly it is a good movie but the standards of judging film quality depends on a number of things but Ustegius and others have pretty much covered it all above.

I wasn't particularly hyped going into this, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but one thing that is blatantly obvious when watching film is the lack of John Williams in the music. I think the movie's soundtrack does a good job of wanting to be "rogue" from the franchise, to stand on its own two feet but also provide viewers with moments where you have reminiscent sounds from the previous films.

As Ustegius also mentioned with the CGI of Tarkin and Leia; I respect their efforts but with Tarkin especially, the longer he was onscreen with Krennic, the more iffy it looked. As time grows so will the quality of rendering and fluidity in movement will.

One thing I disliked more than anything in this film is Forest Whitaker. I have no problems with his character, rather his portrayal of the Gerrero. The accent was horrible and it just felt too try-hard to be this hardened rebel. If there were any sympathy or feelings for his character, I had none.

The film for sure could've been shorter but it's a Hollywood blockbuster, so this is how they justify taking our money in some way. I didn't mind that too much, in fact I didn't realise how long it was until it was over, which is always good.

Blade Runner looks good; it has that "everything" package but we know Hollywood can ruin anything. Yet I can't help but be very optimistic about this.
 

Spirit

Friend
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 4, 2016
Messages
8,110
Reaction score
13,058
Age
27
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I also saw Rogue One a few days ago and there aren't many things I could introduce that hasn't been said already. i am a huge fan of Star Wars however and this movie certainly wasn't bad in many regards. I went into it with a good frame of mind and came out pleased. Yes the CGI Convenient characters did irritate me a bit but as I wasn't focusing on it the fact didn't bother me that much. That droid though.... Easily the crowd favorite if the reaction of everyone in the cinema was anything to go by. The cast was solid overall with a few lacking components but again, I really did like this movie. 8/10
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Rouge One is probably the best "spin off" film ever for a franchise. It felt small and was sort of the point, since this film was focusing on the Rebel Alliance and their mission that becomes a major plot point for Episode 4.

The new characters were made perfectly for this film alone and the story was really well written. some familiar characters were show up and fit well into the story and didn't really overshadow the new characters. Nice blend there.

5 out of 5.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I didn't think we'd see a Trainspotting 2 sequel, but there is one....

 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Been following the development of this since it was announced. Actually kind of psyched, I remember the first one being one of my favorite films for a time (ah, the early teens). Danny Boyle back directing from a John Hodge script with the cast back as well .. On paper it all looks good.

Honestly I'm thinking it could well be disappointing, but at least it must be disappointing in a nostalgic way. Kind of like American Reunion. Oh, who am I kidding, I liked that film.
 
Top