Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Oh man... and here I've been thinking this might actually be good. That trailer sunk my spirits for this film like hell.

So I take it they went like "we don't wanna make seven films... but we do want the whole premise in there. Just make it work."
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
It's supposed to be a sequel to the books or something. But yeah. Instead of comitting into a long narrative epic, they apparently want to do one interdimensional save the world story, that frankly, seems pretty cheap and generic. It kinda reminded me of the Dolph Lundgren He-Man film, and that is not really a good thing.

Well, I really really wish, that my first impressions are wrong.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Why? Then it would have been a completly different film in style.

Besides the film used it jokes brilliantly. They weren't just jokes for the sake of cheap laughs and easing the tension like in most films. The film used the humor of the characters to introduce them and their personalities to us. And continued telling their story and feelings thorough the humor.

If you want a more serious space adventure, maybe the franchise title based of a ragtag group consisting of a talking raccoon and telepathic dog (among others) maybe isn't right the place to do it.

Imho one reason why Guardians was so well liked, was that it realized, admitted and embraced what it was. A rather goofy comic book movie. It didn't take itself too seriously, which has been a problem imo with comic movies lately - trying too hard to be serious.

Guardians how ever did not go the just the direction of flashy effects and cheap jokes. Underneath all that is actually very well structured and told story. It has a very well written script.

Not saying like it's the greatest film ever, but what it does, it does well. And better than most big flashy action blockbusters. As far as light entertaining flicks go, I honestly think there is more going on for Guardians than it is given credit for.
Well, yes, it would be different from the 90% comedy film it is now, that's true. I'm sure everyone loves it because it is mostly just jokes but I just hoped the next one would have focused a little more on the story rather than the jokes. An unpopular opinion for the series I'm aware, but I just prefer more hearty substance to my movies/literature/games. The existence of a talking racoon, a genetically modified animal, and the existence of a sentient alien species resembling a tree does not mean I shouldn't expect some aspect of serious story telling or quality nor should it suggest it cannot exist beside those things. It simply didn't exist for the movie because the writers couldn't or wouldn't do it.

I think Iron Man handled humor-story pretty well. You could laugh your ass off but there was actual crap going on even when you were laughing. There was a strong foundation for the movie to stand on. The original Spider-man movies with Toby are also a great example even if the tide has turned against the series. It is completely possibly to make the movie with great humor in it without focusing primarily on it and neglecting the story and character development.

I disagree. The first movie, while possessing a plotline to fall on, is not executed very well at all. Cut all of the humor of the movie and you perhaps get a good 20-30 minutes of the plotline being reminded poorly to the audience or of it being addressed until the very end. Yes though, it does do what it wants do well—comedy. That's my point and why I personally do not like the series and wished for a change. I read the comics. I know there is a comedy, it is Marvel after all, but it also has very serious moments and moments of exceptional story telling. I feel a little miffed and betrayed by the comic movies coming out lately.

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That seems... interesting take on things. :oh
Well...I can't say I approve of this.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom

Only just seen this; I wasn't aware Nolan had something coming out. Looks like the sort of film I'd happily throw my money on.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

That seems... interesting take on things. :oh
I have so many questions.

Why is there a kid? Why is it contemporary fantasy? What have they done!?

I never liked the Dark Tower books as much as some people do so I'd be willing to cut them a lot of slack on some tweaks to the plot and concept but if I didn't know that trailer was for The Dark Tower I would have never guessed that's what the movie was. It looked like it had nothing in common. It's not even in the same genre.:blink
--- Double Post Merged, ---
The last movie I saw that was this far off the base concept was Seventh Son.

Which adapted a quite good young adult supernatural mystery/suspense/horror book(The Spooks Apprentice) into trashy epic fantasy. I have to think this movie is going to turn out equally bad.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
As someone who hasn't read the Dark Tower series, I'd say the trailer is roughly two parts cool/interesting and one part borderline cringe. But hey, it's a trailer, there's an entire "art" to making them these days. It's hard to know how well it represents the actual film until it's seen. I like McConaughey. I like edgy McConaughey. I'm not sure how he'll work as this kind villain in this kind of series. Elba comes off relatively awesomely though IMO.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2.

Awesome movie. 10 out of 10 for me.

It did all the things the first movie did but better. I don't want to get into spoilers about it but god damn was it good. The cast of characters were incredible but Michael Rooker stole the show as Yondu. Just fantastic.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
It looks good, but my only worry is them abandoning noir-elements in favor of action setpieces. Of course, it's only a trailer so it's highlighting what they think will sell tickets, but yeah...
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I got a similar feeling with this trailer. The first clip I saw was slow and quiet.

There's still the huge advertisement boards, that might be where we're meant to get the nostalgia from.

Perhaps it'd be better to make a much different film from the first, since it's a classic. Hard to get a read what's going on... why is Deckard holed up like that?...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
why is Deckard holed up like that?...
Well, I guess the theory that he's a replicant himself has always been popular. Which would make sense given how desolate a place he seems to be hiding.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Saw GOTG2 tonight and loved it. The intro was so fun. The humour and action was again on point as with the first one. These movies are easily my favourite among the comic book films (sans Batman).
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I went to see GotG vol 2 yesterday afternoon and I absolutely loved it. One thing that this franchise and James Gunn have shown is their musical choice is unorthodox and just brilliant. It just makes the whole thing so much more enjoyable.

Maybe I'm just still buzzing from yesterday but I think this is better than the first. It's kept everything fans loved from vol 1 and makes it better; only that the villain is more loveable in this one than the first.

10/10 It's by no means the greatest film ever made but it's perfect entertainment for me. I'll definitely watch it again before it's taken off screens.

To those who watched it, what did you make of the new characters? post-credit scenes? easter eggs?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked all the new characters.

The thing that always gets me about James Gunn's Guardians movies is the way he makes everything joyous absurdity but grounding the characters in simple relateble character dynamics. That approach really works for me.

Like with Mantis it makes it clear that Drax starts see her a bit like a surrogate daughter as the movie goes on. Characters are never just in scenes together, it feels like everyone is always forming or showing off some kind of relationship and I really love that.

The characters themselves are all completely different from the comics but to me that's fine. Because the unspoken thing about the Marvel space stuff source material is that it's all pretty awful. Space is the garbage dump where Marvel has sent all the character concepts that didn't work over the years. But Gunn just did his own thing and turned it all into a modernized late 70'searly 80's Sci Fi story. Buck Rodger's type stuff. And I think that approach is awesome.

As for the post credits stuff they were mostly just fun stuff without any huge implications, except for one.

Which is the Sovereign making that Adam guy. Which is almost certainly Adam Warlock who is basically a artificially created superman type guy. He's sort of a niche character but a pretty big deal in the Marvel Universe at least in terms of power level.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I liked all the new characters.

The thing that always gets me about James Gunn's Guardians movies is the way he makes everything joyous absurdity but grounding the characters in simple relateble character dynamics. That approach really works for me.

Like with Mantis it makes it clear that Drax starts see her a bit like a surrogate daughter as the movie goes on. Characters are never just in scenes together, it feels like everyone is always forming or showing off some kind of relationship and I really love that.

The characters themselves are all completely different from the comics but to me that's fine. Because the unspoken thing about the Marvel space stuff source material is that it's all pretty awful. Space is the garbage dump where Marvel has sent all the character concepts that didn't work over the years. But Gunn just did his own thing and turned it all into a modernized late 70'searly 80's Sci Fi story. Buck Rodger's type stuff. And I think that approach is awesome.

As for the post credits stuff they were mostly just fun stuff without any huge implications, except for one.

Which is the Sovereign making that Adam guy. Which is almost certainly Adam Warlock who is basically a artificially created superman type guy. He's sort of a niche character but a pretty big deal in the Marvel Universe at least in terms of power level.
I enjoyed everything, the growth of characters between the first to this one; how even amidst comedic scenes the switch can be flipped and you can feel a characters pain. What I think this shows is that no matter how badass this group of people are, they are still vulnerable, full of scars as anyone else. I mean, even Yondu. All of the main cast were given enough screen time to advance their characters and not only showcase humour.

Kinda just throwing this in here randomly but the scene where Groot is abused by the Ravagers got to me, like that shit pissed me off, so I was happy to see him dispose of the guy who kicked him down.

Yes, Adam Warlock's origin is changed but then again so are many characters in this franchise( Peter's father, Ayesha, The Sovereign, Ego, etc). Actually, James Gunn had to retcon Adam Warlock's cocoon scene from the first film because there were already too many characters in this second one. So instead I think we'll see him in vol.3, which means he won't be involved in Infinity War.

Now to the funny scenes:

-Taserface
- Mantis x Drax
-Rocket Racoon
-Baby Groot
- Peter and Gamora's "unspoken thing" and the fact that it's never addressed as it would affect ratings like in sitcoms; fucking lol'ed

 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
I saw the sequel to Guardians of the Galaxy. I thought it was okay, but I think it pretty much confirmed for me that it isn't something that I like.

How does everyone feel about the Hellboy reboot though?
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
As much as I love Del Toro and Perlman, I'm kinda happy about the reboot. Its one of my favorite western comics ever, and to hear that the franchise still lives and interests people (outside the comic spin-offs). I Only know him from Stranger Things, but base on that performance, David Harbour feels like a pretty good match for the role. I hope they go for a different style of adaption this time. I'd love to see something more faithful to the style of the original comics.
 

Kefka

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2016
Messages
115
Reaction score
59
Country
Brazil
Am I the only one who thinks GotG Vol. 2 is overrated? They weren't able to make a decent character driven movie. Most character arc felt forced and without emotion. And the humor lacked intelligence. There's only so many jokes Drax can tell before it gets repetitive and boring.

GotG Vol. 1 is my favorite Marvel movie, but this one just didn't live up to the hype.
 

Styx

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2016
Messages
880
Reaction score
593
Country
Russian Federation
Am I the only one who thinks GotG Vol. 2 is overrated? They weren't able to make a decent character driven movie. Most character arc felt forced and without emotion. And the humor lacked intelligence. There's only so many jokes Drax can tell before it gets repetitive and boring.

GotG Vol. 1 is my favorite Marvel movie, but this one just didn't live up to the hype.
Check my replies above. I also feel the same way. I love humor, but I don't like movies just about humor. I prefer story driven by characters with real depth.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,851
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Check my replies above. I also feel the same way. I love humor, but I don't like movies just about humor. I prefer story driven by characters with real depth.
If you didn't like it you didn't like it and I'm not about to tell anybody they are wrong for not liking it but saying that the characters didn't have real depth sounds crazy to me.

Most comic book movies are purely plot driven. This was a character driven movie about familial insecurities. If you were saying that you had a problem with the lack of emotional subtlety I could maybe understand that a little better, it's very overt about what it's doing, but I really don't think I can name a comic book movie with more character depth aside from arguably Logan.

What about the characters did you think lacked depth exactly? I'm genuinely curious what you wanted on that front that you didn't get?
 
Top