Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Saw Hugo last night then...it was really good; a bit like seeing an old movie but slightly modernised. The cast was solid, Christopher Lee was a nice cameo and Sacha Baron Cohen was probably my favourite character in that movie.
The story starts as just one about a boy who lives in a train station and you wonder just where they could take it, but it ends up being so much more and becomes one of his adventure and how he's affected the people around him.

It's really a must see. 8.5/10
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Yeah, I saw it. Looks pretty good.

People saw the trailer for DKR right?

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
HOBBIT! :zomg










[SIZE="-7"]Dark Knight Rises![/SIZE] :zomg

Okay, both teasers were good, but not that good. Didn't get superüberhyped or anything. Hobbit teaser is very early though. But I think they intented it as a christmas present of sorts, and it works great like that :amuse
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
TDKR doesn't reveal anything, but at the same time reveals a lot if you just pay attention to every chosen clip. It's Nolan's style, just like he did with Inception's trailer. The movie looks freaking awesome, and so much Batman/Bruce in it.

The Hobbit looks awesome too. Loved the song which I assume is the main theme. I can't wait to see how good Gollum looks now, when he looked freakishly good in 2003(!). His weakest areas, if we nitpick were the animation of his hair and fingers/toes. I expect 100% awesome now.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I read the article about the Dark Knight Rises trailer which had some reservations about Bane's voice. I agree with all reviews and if Bane's voice is fixed then it will a great film; looking forward to it!

Looking forward to The Hobbit soundtrack; LOTR soundtrack is still my favourite movie soundtrack to date.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'd say my favorite movie soundtrack is probably Blade Runner :nod
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say my favorite movie soundtrack is probably Blade Runner :nod
I've heard that from a few people to be fair, though I've never seen the movie nor heard the soundtrack :worrybunny Well, I'll add it to my list.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I've heard that from a few people to be fair, though I've never seen the movie nor heard the soundtrack :worrybunny Well, I'll add it to my list.
It's a must-see if you're into SciFi at all. The soundtrack was done by Vangelis, the guy who did the theme to Chariots of Fire. It's absolutely amazing.

Basically anything Neo-Noir or Cyberpunk you see today was influenced by Blade Runner.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
It's a must-see if you're into SciFi at all. The soundtrack was done by Vangelis, the guy who did the theme to Chariots of Fire. It's absolutely amazing.

Basically anything Neo-Noir or Cyberpunk you see today was influenced by Blade Runner.
I've never seen Chariots of Fire either :sweat but I'll add that to my list too. I'm going to get the Blade Runner soundtrack today and listen to it.

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night for the first time, I dunno what the reaction was around here but I really loved it; in particular Caesar's character development was well done. He went from a naive ape to a curious one to losing his trust in humans, but throughout leading his groups, his wanting to NOT hurt the humans he came across showed that he retained a lot of the teachings he'd received from his adopted father( whatever James Franco's character was called). The bit where he talks for the first time was awesome, as well as any scene where you'd wonder if he'd hurt a human.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I've never seen Chariots of Fire either :sweat but I'll add that to my list too. I'm going to get the Blade Runner soundtrack today and listen to it.

I saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes last night for the first time, I dunno what the reaction was around here but I really loved it; in particular Caesar's character development was well done. He went from a naive ape to a curious one to losing his trust in humans, but throughout leading his groups, his wanting to hurt the humans he came across showed that he retained a lot of the teachings he'd received from his adopted father( whatever James Franco's character was called). The bit where he talks for the first time was awesome, as well as any scene where you'd wonder if he'd hurt a human.
You've probably heard the theme from it before though. I'd recommend watching Blade Runner first :nod

I've heard nothing but good things about it too. Looks like it'd be worth it for the special effects alone.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Just watched Mission Impossible 4 yesterday. The plot was surprisingly good (not awesome, but pretty darn solid), and the action was great from start the finish. Loved the vertical stunt at the Burj in Dubai, not to mention that Tom Cruise actually performed it himself (no stuntmen)! :omg

The Hobbit looks awesome too. Loved the song which I assume is the main theme. I can't wait to see how good Gollum looks now, when he looked freakishly good in 2003(!). His weakest areas, if we nitpick were the animation of his hair and fingers/toes. I expect 100% awesome now.
I just watched the whole LOTR (extended version) in a marathon with some friends 2 weeks back. EPIC MASTERPIECE :blai I can still hear the soundtrack playing in my head (still in a LOTR high, 2 weeks later...). But yeah, watching it in HD this time, we could actually pick out more problems with the animation and CGI. There were scenes where it was pretty obvious that the hobbits had been superimposed. So, with how far technology has come in recent years, I'm expecting awesome by the truckloads from "The Hobbit"! :wtf
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I also just finished watching the extended version of the trilogy in blu-ray! I cannot wait for The Hobbit. The Return of the King really is the best one of the three. And yeah the soundtrack is awesome, especially the track that plays when The Lord of the Rings title appears. I had seen all three movies on cinema but there was so much that I'd forgotten, and after watching the extended version you get a much better grasp of the story. I think I might just read The Silmarillion now :D!
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I also just finished watching the extended version of the trilogy in blu-ray! I cannot wait for The Hobbit. The Return of the King really is the best one of the three. And yeah the soundtrack is awesome, especially the track that plays when The Lord of the Rings title appears. I had seen all three movies on cinema but there was so much that I'd forgotten, and after watching the extended version you get a much better grasp of the story. I think I might just read The Silmarillion now :D!
I actually liked The Two Towers best, but honestly, all three are simply awesome.

The extended version is great for fans, but among the group of friends I watched with, there were a few who had never watched the trilogy, ever (what blasphemy!). They extended version probably only made it more boring and threw even more details and info at them than they could take. Some of the scenes in the extended version really don't add much to the story (which is probably why they were cut out). But well, as a fan, I enjoyed it :XD
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
So I got dragged into Sherlock Holmes- Game of Shadows cinema hall by my friend..
so without any prior knowledge of holmes except that he is written by conan and have a watson..I was sitting there, wondering
what am I doing here when I could have gone and watch the muppets or chipmunks 3.
Then I remember I'm a huge mystery fan and one day had to check out conan's books so I went, oh well.
In the end I walked out of the theater..totally satisfied.

Since i don't know anything about holmes, all I can say that he is a likable, funny and impressive character and him and watson is a perfect match.
About the mystery..it felt lacking..and maybe because I wasn't paying attention. It was confusing for the first half but then the flim
manage to piece it all together in the second half.
The flim felt long because of the action scenes, there was time when I was wondering if this was the climax but then, another action-packed scene came right up.
More of action than mystery.
I don't think it was true to it's adaption "the final problem"(which is the final case in sherlock holmes..or supposed to be) and
more like a story of it's own. Enjoyable none the less.
The flim really knows how to create thee tension. Was sitting at the edge of the seat for a while <_< that wasn't too comfortable..
 

Teubier

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
665
Reaction score
2,433
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
France
I just saw La Piel Que Habito (aka The Skin I Live In) that Organizized wrote about in another topic. Well, I can't say it isn't a good, "beautifully sick and twisted", movie. It is. But, imosvho, it is not a great movie either. I didn't dive deeply enough into the movie's rhythm, because of my own at the moment most likely. I might try watching it a second time with a glass of whisky or two. However, it doesn't change the fact that it also didn't pull me into it. As to what is to blame for that, I think it has to do with the lack of ‘dirty charisma’ of Banderas, and the overall aesthetic. And the pace itself obviously. Thing is, this is a theme I’d love to see (and feel) addressed in a Korean movie. It would have been a bit more sinister and stifling, probably felt a bit less onanist (poetically speaking), and I enjoy far more Korean faces’ language when it comes to these atmospheres. There are a few inconsistencies too, that I won’t spoil since one could overlook them, but when you tackle a theme that must feel real, I don’t think you can afford such imprecisions.
Still, thanks for the tip Organizized, I enjoyed it nonetheless.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Euhhmmm

For me Sherlock Holmes was a true bummer. Was it awful or bad? No but it wasn't impressive as some people describe the movie. What really disturbs me is the blasphemy towards the mysterious, detective genre. During certain moments, I was wondering myself if I was watching a war movie instead. Yeah, the world ward was a part of the plot but for god's sake, leave those story elements to James Bond and leave Sherlock Holmes out of it

Whereas certain effects were well used in the first movie, they became overused to a certain degree of annoyance in the second movie.

The plot wasn't impressive and it got overwhelmed by all the noisy scenes and effects. Whereas the first movie was good, the second movie is mediocre. I was glad to see the first movie in the cinema, I would have been glad if I saw the second movie on my TV at home

Seriously but I really can't understand why people find sherlock holmes II better than sherlock holmes I. The first one had at least some detective, mysterious story. The second movie would have definitely made sir arthur conan doyle turn in his grave
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
I guess I enjoyed it because I didn't watched the first one nor did I read his books.
I'm pretty sure there were no mystery in there but a lot of action..but I didn't went in it anticipation so I can see why I was satisfied
when fans are not.
I think SherlockHolmes 3 had been announced.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
@Teubier: I actually thought Banderas played the role just right, not overplaying at all like so many might have. The great thing about his character is that the more you find out him, your opinion changes drastically.

Like, at the beginning he could just as well be just a dedicated scientist with a weird sort of obsession. Then, when you find out what happened to his daughter, you root for him and all the revenge stuff feels justified. But then, when you realize how it all ties together and just how sick and twisted he is, you're disgusted by him. And yet, the character remains pretty much the same throughout the entire movie; it's just your opinion about him that changes. That's one thing I found really cool. All the sick things you found out that he's done earlier in life has already happened at the beginning of the movie, yet when you start out watching it you're interested in him as a protagonist and even sympathize with him.

There doesn't need to be any visible "descent into madness"-character development and he doesn't have to act really crazy for us to realize that he is. If they had made him act more like a crazy person in the way he talked or faces he made and so on, it would have felt overdone and too "shoved in our faces", imo.

I also thought the pacing was pretty much perfect. Everything unfolds very seamlessly, yet it takes time and lets you build those valuable opinions about the characters before they shatter them all again.

Maybe it's just that I had no expectations about the movie at all, but I really thought it was a truly great movie. It's been compared to Hitchcock, which happens much to often in reviews for movies that don't deserve it, but this one I can honestly say I agree. One of the best movies of the year for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top