Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
But aside that, the movie kinda missed the essence of the story itself. And the camera's plans/zooming during most of the songs were overall bad in my opinion, it removed the real impact of the songs, it lacked...emphasis ? I would say that the songs made up for this nearly constant weak point, and turning nearly each dialog into song ? Too much for a movie. Better fit to a musical theater as it has originally been. Well all things considered, I don't think that the director's work was all that great, aside a few scenes which brought a few tears, like the one with Fantine (Anne Hathaway) or the final when Jean Valjean died (with Fantine as a spirit) and when he joined those who died during the riot. (it didn't happen during THE French Revolution of 1789, but later, in 1832)
you'll have to consider that the movie was an adaptation of the musical, which was an adaptation of the novel- so... story-wise, the essence has lost 2/3 of its quality.

I also read the book and it's nastier and grittier, fouler and uh... miserable, but with the work so abridged to fit 2 hours of film time and break into song every so often, you could say they did a good job.

I saw Life of Pi the other day. It was really astonishingly beautiful and a really well-made film. I didn't read the book, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I thought it was a nice, straightforward film with good symbolism. However, I couldn't help but feel like something was missing with the end. It sort of felt hollow to me, as if I wasn't sure what the point of it all was...I don't know,
a philosophy major friend I have loved it for being such. I know what word you're saying... mind fuck. :nuts
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
you'll have to consider that the movie was an adaptation of the musical, which was an adaptation of the novel- so... story-wise, the essence has lost 2/3 of its quality.

I also read the book and it's nastier and grittier, fouler and uh... miserable, but with the work so abridged to fit 2 hours of film time and break into song every so often, you could say they did a good job.
Yeah I know all of that that. But it was really song after song, even for a musical movie....from a musical theater, I had trouble to keep going, there is also the fact that it's not my native language and have more trouble than usual when it comes to song in general, so sometimes I don't get instantly the lyrics and have to read the subs in French.

I think I would have been fine with all of that if I were in the musical theater, and in this case there wouldn't have an odd camera angle (too near).
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
a philosophy major friend I have loved it for being such. I know what word you're saying... mind fuck. :nuts
I guess it was, yeah. But some of the symbolism was lost on me.

was he really struggling with himself the whole time? Did he really need to? It's not like he wasn't a good person. Wtf was the island supposed to be? What did the tiger leaving him unceremoniously really mean? A lot of it felt nonsensical to me...but maybe I'm just dumb :sweat
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Here's a link for Spike Lee's upcoming adaptation of the manga "Oldboy". Can't wait to see this one.

http://impawards.com/2013/oldboy.html
I'm finally gonna watch the original this week.

I guess it was, yeah. But some of the symbolism was lost on me.

was he really struggling with himself the whole time? Did he really need to? It's not like he wasn't a good person. Wtf was the island supposed to be? What did the tiger leaving him unceremoniously really mean? A lot of it felt nonsensical to me...but maybe I'm just dumb :sweat
I thought it was symbolism of him gaining courage and peace but I was wondering where did he find substinance and what was the real life interpretation of the island of meerkats.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I thought it was symbolism of him gaining courage and peace but I was wondering where did he find substinance and what was the real life interpretation of the island of meerkats.
Well, yeah I suppose. That's sort of bland though. It doesn't really suit the visuals of the story. I don't know, maybe I'm being difficult here :XD

And the sustenance came from the supplies on the boat, no? Plus when they reached the island Pi started eating the trees. They were edible for some reason. But yeah, that was confusing.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
R.I.P.D.-Reminds me of the MIB series I never read the graphic novel so I have zero expectations.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Reminds you of MIB? It's a complete ripoff :oh

I like Jeff Bridges, but lol
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
re: Life of Pi- visuals.

I haven't read the book, but my sister had, and she told me that indeed the book had stunning graphic accounts of what Pi was seeing at the time, and that it was awesome to see it on screen as colorful and magical as the book had described.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Well here goes the trailer for the 2nd Phase 2 film.

Thor

 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Saw Django Unchained finally. It was pretty good, but those saying it's Tarantino's best work yet are wrong.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Not particularly excited with Thor 2 to be honest. I enjoyed the first one but it was a casual movie at best, so hopefully this one will at least equal that.

Still not seen Django but will go see Iron Man 3 tomorrow :blai
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Iron Man 3 comes out tomorrow?!?! and I still have to catch my sister up with Phase 1:gwah.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The first Thor was a nice surprised. I honestly think I enjoyed it more than Captain America, but only slightly so. I'm a fan of Joe Johnston's work.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
That's what people keep saying but I enjoyed Captain America way more I felt Thor was a bit cheesy and to family friendly.
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Saw Django Unchained finally. It was pretty good, but those saying it's Tarantino's best work yet are wrong.
So which do you consider as his best? Pulp Fiction? Just curious. I personally loved Reservoir Dogs.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Iron Man 3 out tomorrow? I have to seriously question their marketing campaign. I haven't anything about it where I'm located. Good thing I came on here.
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
That's what people keep saying but I enjoyed Captain America way more I felt Thor was a bit cheesy and to family friendly.
I agree. I thought Thor was a really bad movie. Captain America was muchhhh better.


So I saw The Host last night with my mom. It's the worst movie I've seen in a long time. Do not see it. Do not even rent it. It's not even worth $1 to see it. Then I found out it's based off of a book written by Stephanie Meyer.... That explains everything. Shit author writes another shit book that's made into a shit movie.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
saw "The Vow" by Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams. I kept crying the entire movie. lol. And it wasn't even that happy of an ending. :gwah
 

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 6, 2008
Messages
6,426
Reaction score
3,487
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yeah I have trouble to see this Thor as an enjoyable main character after the first movie and the Avengers (he is better as a secondary role). I have nearly no credit to give him after his arrogance issue gone.

Iron Man 3 seems to be the best of its franchise from what I read/heard so far. Maybe I'll give it some time despite my planning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top