Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
You haven't watched many films then I guess. A lot of incredible films after Dark Knight. The Wrestler, Black Swan, District 9, Inglorious Bastards, King's Speech, The Fighter, Shutter Island, The Illusionist, Kick-Ass, Tree of Life.... Just a few to come to mind. I thought 2010 was damn strong a year in film.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
You haven't watched many films then I guess. A lot of incredible films after Dark Knight. The Wrestler, Black Swan, District 9, Inglorious Bastards, King's Speech, The Fighter, Shutter Island, The Illusionist, Kick-Ass, Tree of Life.... Just a few to come to mind. I thought 2010 was damn strong a year in film.
well I really haven't watched that much, but I know a few from your list. District 9 wasn't that impressive from my point of view, Black Swan was good but still nothing that left me with a "wow". Shutter Island is more or less the same. Kick-Ass was just horrible...
There are some films like "The Wrestler" or "Inglorious Bastards" I would like to watch though.
Maybe I said it the wrong way, there were some good films but only very few who left me with an "amazing" impression.

Not sure about "Tree of Life", didn't receive it some kind of award? What's the film about?
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Cannes Best Film. It is about life, universe an everything. It is an experience. I didn't personally like it that much, but visually impressive. And quite a good attempt to make a film about life. 2011: The Space Odyssey.

Kick-Ass just horrible?!?!? Did you watch the same film? Starts as a mainstream teenage comedy, changes into cruel reality, and then to dark violent yet hilarious action film. It worked awesomely for both action and comedy. I think it was very entertaining and really sucked the viewer in. Sure, not as masterfull as many other films on the list, but still worth mentioning.

District 9 is imo the best sci-fi film of the 00's. Probaply, might be I'm forgetting something.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Ustegius said:
Yeah, I remember being so psyched by Jurassic Park 1. Or not really, I were so young though then, that I got to see it only many years later. It was Jurassic Park 2 which really made me nuts. Even if I were already past my biggest dino boom.
I remember when I was a kid and my father borrowed JP and we sat to watch it, and it started.. and I was so afraid by this one scene at the beginning that I ran to my room and didn't watch JP until I was older :p Shit xD

baboysai said:
There's something about Titanic, though- there's a certain replayability to it. It has enough humor and bittersweet stuff and just the right family entertainment factor in it.
And its going to be in 3D!!!!!! :p

xi0 said:
It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Heat is a must-watch movie in my opinion. Great film, is long, but it doesn't feel like it drags ever. Just a great cast.
And suspense, and climate, and.. well, the building of those 2 characters played by Robert de Niro and Al Pacino until they finally have a scene together.. priceless feeling.

naruto-niichan said:
I did watch it, it was as clear as day that the film wouldn't have much of a logic but at least it was entertaining
Yeah, if someone expected from this movie sth else then entertainment purpose was f*cked off - or in other words: doesn't know directors and didn't see trailers etc..... When I'm going for eg Resident Evil <series xd> I expect only some mindless stuff with nice visuals and zombie - no thinking allowed <3

btw. Ustegius, nice sig, and the movie is fantastic! Maybe some discussion because the ending was somewhat ambiguous for me <and frankly speaking I didn't even once googled about it>:
What do you think about this fairy tale stuff? Was it real or the girl was making it all? We know that at the end she actually dies and we're presented with 'real world' sad ending and what happens as well as 'fairy tale world' with happy ending. I find it interesting like those other movies in the line of Inception, fight Club, Memento etc. <someone mentioned them earlier> Or maybe both answers are correct depending on the persepctive? xP

My personal view: girl made it all up because she lived in a cruel world and her mind wanted some fairy tale thingy to compensate for the brutal world she lives in.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well, I haven't really bothered to think it so much. It is ambigous, and I think it is supposed to be. And it has a wonderfull spine chilling effect. Both are options are plausible, but I am, as you, leaning towards the thought that she created an imaginary world as unconsious protective method to bear the world around her.

I really love that type of endings. Pan' Labyrinth, Memento, Inception, Fight Club. Black Swan in some sense, though it isn't really that mysterious. Have you seen El Orfanato? It isn't quite as good as the previously mentioned, but still imho worth a watch.
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Damn, Ust, that set is awesome. I consider Pale Man (is this how he/she's officially called?) as one of the most amazing imaginary creature I have seen in movies, tho I'm not sure if it's a del Toro original.

Those movies you mentioned have endings where you'll like "WUT??!" then go think about what really happened for the next couple of hours.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I SAW TINTIN YESTERDAY!!! :whoo

First of all I found out that it's been out since Monday, which is 2 days earlier than I had expected but nevertheless, I wasn't so upset and joined the long ass queue of people to get my ticket.

As for the movie itself, it is awesome. I may sound biased in my view about this and I must admit that there were a lot of moments where I was in reminiscent mode but the plot, animation, fight scenes, characters were just so brilliantly done that I'd watch a couple more times before getting bored.

Just to let you guys know, YOU WILL LOOOOOOOOOOVE CAPTAIN HADDOCK; if by some weird reason you find the movie to be mediocre, he will make you love it, He's so brilliantly portrayed and everything that comes out of his mouth is quotable and hilarious.

This film is my modern day Lord of the Rings; the kinda movie I won't ever get tired of watching. I can't wait for the next 2 parts. 9/10
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Oh I loved Pan's labyrinth too!

That pale man scene had me screaming the e.n.t.i.r.e. time! And I loved the ambiguity as well. Faun was a somewhat affably evil character, and he was designed so effectively I supposed. Because I wanted to hate him but he was too mysterious to hate. lol.


and I didn't know Tintin was planned for three parts. :oh Koen never mentioned anything about that...
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
and I didn't know Tintin was planned for three parts. :oh Koen never mentioned anything about that...
Yeah, Spielberg and Jackson have exclaimed an interested in a trilogy ever since they got the go-ahead for the first one. Since the production of the recent movie Spielberg and Jackson have said that Spielberg directs this first one with Jackson as producer and assistant director, and vice versa on the second one. Maybe they'll both direct the third, haven't read anything about that. x)

I did read this about Tintin 2, though:
Empire Magazine said:
The script, or at least one of the drafts, comes from author Anthony Horowitz, who was hired last year to develop a story based on an amalgam of two adventures: Prisoners Of The Sun and The Seven Crystal Balls. The finished product will likely be called The Adventures Of Tintin: Prisoners Of The Sun and find the boy reporter and Captain Haddock investigating the spread of a mysterious illness that befalls explorers who dared to violate a scared Incan tomb.
The thing is, Peter Jackson has a couple of other.. rather big projects coming up. What were they called... something hobo... The Hobbit! Part 1 is still in production, and I'd guess part 2 will be following closely behind (since its set release date is December 2013, one year after part 1). In any case, if Jackson really is going to direct Prisoners Of The Sun, it'll probably not be until production on The Hobbit Part 2 is over. Meaning we'll have to wait a damn while for the Tintin sequel..
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
I watched Captain America yesterday. Okay movie I guess, did not excite me much. Seeing the skinny/smaller Evans was strange. Part 2 is rumored for a release in 2014. That's really....far.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Ustegius said:
I really love that type of endings. Pan' Labyrinth, Memento, Inception, Fight Club. Black Swan in some sense, though it isn't really that mysterious. Have you seen El Orfanato? It isn't quite as good as the previously mentioned, but still imho worth a watch.
Watched it xD Though I will be frank here: Labirynth I liked more, muuuuch more <don't saying I didn't like Orphanage or it was a bad movie, no no, but Labyrinth.. well, everything was just awesome: climate, grotesque, brutal<!>, and giving fairy tale stuff there in awesome written script = priceless for me.

@goldb, its nice to see freindly mini review from here :p When polish portal <the most famous one which I always use for my movie database and info/news> made a 'first polish review' it was also emphasizing how good the movie is BUT the review itself was lame, heh.

Organizized said:
Yeah, Spielberg and Jackson have exclaimed an interested in a trilogy ever since they got the go-ahead for the first one. Since the production of the recent movie Spielberg and Jackson have said that Spielberg directs this first one with Jackson as producer and assistant director, and vice versa on the second one. Maybe they'll both direct the third, haven't read anything about that. x)
Yes, you're right, and the third movie they will direct BOTH xD

Organizized said:
The thing is, Peter Jackson has a couple of other.. rather big projects coming up. What were they called... something hobo... The Hobbit! Part 1 is still in production, and I'd guess part 2 will be following closely behind (since its set release date is December 2013, one year after part 1). In any case, if Jackson really is going to direct Prisoners Of The Sun, it'll probably not be until production on The Hobbit Part 2 is over. Meaning we'll have to wait a damn while for the Tintin sequel..
Jackson himself said that only AFTER Hobbit he will do Tintin 2, its confirmed.. either way: studio didn't yet said if there will be Tintin 2 because they want to wait for boxoffice thingy, lol, BUT they said to Jackson & Spielberg to gather their ideas already.

@thornofcarrion, I think 3 years isn't that long if you look that Marvel each year seems delivering AT LEASt one superhero movie: 2012 = THE freakin' Avengers <guys, what your thoughts are?>, Spider-man, 2013 = Iron man, somewhere Thor, etc.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Iron Man was really good. The Incredible Hulk was good. Iron Man 2 was good. Thor was good. Captain America was pretty good.

What I like about Marvel is that they leave little "easter eggs" and references for the fans in the movies that many people might miss (which I guess is the reason many people give the movies bad ratings). But Marvel's movies are really for their fans. The way all the different movies tie in to each other and the tons of in-jokes and references make me like them more than if they'd just been individual movies. Even though I was much more impressed by, say, Nolan's Batman movies, the way all these Marvel movies are building up to The Avengers has made me just as hyped about that as The Dark Knight Rises.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Gotta agree. The late Marvel films have been so much fun. Exciting adventures, cool action, and funny to boot. The references and little fanservice details add to the entertainment value. Sure, no eternally knowledged masterpieces of art. Not as impressive as some other comic films (Nolan, V for Vendetta), but I wouldn't call them bad. Good when you are in the mood for some lighter entertainment, works well when watching with a group of friends and having fun. And the build up they have managed to create for Avengers... damn. I'm really currently more interest in that than the new Batman.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
@Organizized, couldn't agree more. Though everyone is based and all, I'm a comic book fan so it makes me even happier to have sth which I can smile on because it was made especially for fans. Those kind of things are priceless for such fans. And the way Marvel was able to pull what he pulled in the comics, to made their 'universe' of superheroes into a movie universe superheroes is just.. fantastic <ok, ok, not everything went their way like the Hulk actors being either not interested or wanting too much money but still.. who cares as mostly all other titles they pulled of nicely <and the Hulk is cgi made, whatever xd> I think The Avengers will have NICE boxoffice not only USA.. but worldwide.

And recently I posted on pl board and I will post my prediction for 'reboot' of Spidey films: the way I see it - Marvel with the new start can build Spidey universe into his movie/comic universe with - I don't know - like the famous scene after the credits with Nick Fury making appointment to Spidey to join Avengers or sth, and The Avengers 2 may future Spidey in the gang as well. The way I see it - Raimi pulled completely Spidey movies 'out' of this idea <of course, if he would do nr4 Spidey movie such scene could prospel as well but lets be fair here.. Tobey was money breaker, by doing reboot with actor who will don't give shit <at least for now> about money and that he is not so popular <yet> gives less money to him and producers and others big bosses are happy> and can play in The Avengers next movie. Afterall, Spidey is the most popular character of Marvel comics <alongside Wolverine <3 >, I don't think they will keep him 'out' of the universe with this reboot now.
 

HegemonKhan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
2,367
Reaction score
1,229
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Iron Man 1 was very good, Iron Man 2 was crapppp, it was awful, ughn!

Hulk 1 (Hulk) was extremely good (If you're a science nerd like me, it's an interesting concept with the energy, the Hulk's stable infinite energy absorption and his father's unstable infinite energy absorption), but Hulk 2 (The Incredible Hulk) was... CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!

Captain America was.. poor-decent (between awful and average) at best.

Pan's Labrynth was... maybe average at best - if my memory serves.... though I can't remember it too well... sighs... so maybe I actually liked it a bit better than I am remembering liking it (well not liking it I mean).

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 PM ----------

My theory on Inception's plot:

(my memory is a bit hazy, and hopefully I'm not confusing Shutter's Island movie into this topic about Inception movie, as in Shutter's Island - his wife shot herself and their kids, right?, causing him to "lose his mind" and end up in shutter island?)

The guy actually jumped out the window with his wife in the real world, so they're both dead, but using the past's memories, the "memory of his past self", is trying to use the "dream world", to alter the real world and his and his wife's fate in it, changing their suicide to not committing suicide, causing their suicide deaths in the real world to never have happened.
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I have watched Tintin already twice. One time in 2-D and another time in 3-D.

I loved it A LOT. You have to know that tintin comics don't easily lean towards an animation/movie adaptation. Spielberg and his screenplay directors did a very great job. Proof: integrate an unrelated comic for the haddock - tintin meeting in two other comics. The story, the characters were all great. It felt like reading tintin: the moral preacher, perfectionist tintin; his opposing side, the chaotic, negative, careless haddock; snowy, they were all :wtf

The world was drawn with very beatiful details as the characters too. The pace was perfect and the movie never bores. The baggar chase, the crane fight in the port is the momentum which every adventure movie can be jealous about.

I want the seven cristall balls and prisoners of the sun next. My most favourite story, make it dark though

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Oh and adding: the transitions were awesome too. Going from present to the the history, going from a boat in the ocean back to the town, etc... Those transitions were remarkably, artistically well done
 
Last edited:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
You're good at advertizing.^^

Seen Melancholia, was weird and exciting, hadn't read any previews, so the content was a bit startling. Good cast and performance anyway. Next one was The Conspirator with McAvoy, got to love him and most of his films. Ending was predictable, but fine anyway. Unthinkable with Samuel L was meh, just not a fan of turture, Michael Sheen and Carrie-Anne Moss did round up the cast though. Last one is The Change-Up, did laugh a lot, Ryans offensive character was vexing at times, but made it up with a nice plot with a touch of those 80/90s curse movies.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Two words:

CAPTAIN HADDOCK!

Man, Tintin was awesome! Definitely in my top 5 this year so far. And speaking of movie intros (a while back), this movie had one of the best title sequences I've seen in ages. I was literally jumping up and down, squealing in nostalgic joy in my seat. :blai

I don't want to wait another like three years for the next one! I want it naaaooooo!
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Late, just watched Green Lantern. Comparing with some other similar movies, it was a decent watch. Ryan fitted the role and the graphics were acceptable too. Some fine humor too. Overall, I was not bored till the end.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Really? I was soooo looking forward to that movie( Green Lantern is my favourite DC hero) and when I saw it, it wasn't the best thing I'd seen and I wasn't really impressed. It'd take a lot to make me watch it again. The story was just lacking and some of the performances weren't all that either. The casting of Ryan Reynolds was always going to be a big issue but I didn't think he was bad but as always I'd prefer if they didn't choose someone as famous as him to play comic book character, but I've been wrong before( Christian Bale, Chris Evans).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top