Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Same here, I watched it last night. I've never read the books but heard a lot of good things about it from friends but I was still a bit sceptic about it. The action scenes where really fun to see and there's even some comedy in it. It also has a very strong cast with Woody Harrelson, Stanley Tucci, Lenny Kravitz, Elizabeth Banks providing support to the main cast. The girl who played Rue(dunno her name) was a really cool character :amuse
I finally watched Hunger Game yesterday. The murder scene was more conceptual than visual, and I thought the film was well made considering the majority of viewers are middle and high schoolers. Now that I watched it, I need to rent the Japanese movie, Battle Royale (2000). Has anyone seen both?
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I guess I'll need to check Hunger Games because of the hype. Since the beginning for me it seemed just a watered down version of Battle Roayle.Thought it kinda annoys me, that in the trailers the people don't really look like people who have been living in famine and bad conditions. I thought that was the idea?

Battle Royale was pretty awesome. I didn't have high expectaions. Just gory well, battle royale. But it was suprsingly neatly working package and cool action flick.
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I'm watching the Godfather now. God, I love this movie and the sequel.
last saturday I watched the 3 movies non stop with some friends.... the quality drop in the third one is so sad
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Agreed. Though I haven't read the books, I'm not sure if the third one belonged in the "trilogy" lol.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
last saturday I watched the 3 movies non stop with some friends.... the quality drop in the third one is so sad
Exactly. The third could have been even better, I liked Andy Garcia's role.

Agreed. Though I haven't read the books, I'm not sure if the third one belonged in the "trilogy" lol.
I don't think it did. I heard that Coppola was planning to use Duvall/Hagen, but Duvall wanted more pay or something.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
The third could have been even better? Than what? :blink
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
I always tend to say The Godfather: Part III sucks balls. That's not really true though. It'd be an okay movie if it didn't follow two of the greatest movies of all time, and a completely unnecessary addition to what was already near perfect. It's not a bad movie in itself, but as a Godfather sequel it was pereeeetty bad..
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The third could have been even better? Than what? :blink
Than what it is now. Now, it's shit. But it could have been much better with Duvall and etc, apparently.

APPARENTLY.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I watched American Reunion the other day and it was great! However, this is coming from someone who loved the other movies as well. The movie reminded me so much of the first American Pie which was awesome xD
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
The Darkest Hour disappointed me. I had high hopes for the movie but it turned out to be the opposite. The story felt lacking and the action scenes weren't exciting.
 

Heleos

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 8, 2010
Messages
46
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I watched City Island recently... It didn't provide any sense of great suspense or excitement, but it was an enjoyable ride with a wacky, eccentric humor behind it all.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I just watched The Lady. Good movie, especially if you are interested in politics and such. Michelle Yeoh has dazzling performance in this movie (Duh!).

I'm looking forward to watch the Avengers, even though I'm not a huge fan of Marvel superheroes except Iron Man.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I'm also excited for the Avengers, though I have two problems with the movie:

1. No Spider-Man. I get that Sony holds the Spider-Man license, but it ain't no Avengers to me if it Spidey's not in it!
2. Mark Ruffalo replaced Edward Norton as the Hulk. Nothing against Ruffalo (he's a great actor), but Norton's one of my favourite actors and I enjoyed him a lot as the Hulk. I have no idea why they would replace him.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Spidey wasn't an original Avenger though, so they have that excuse at least.
 

Aazholh

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2010
Messages
301
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I saw Cabin In The Woods. A pretty intelligent movie and was a driving reason for me to see it. I had my reservations since it was co-written my the guy that wrote Cloverfield, but he redeemed himself with this.

I also saw Casa De Mi Padre a couple weeks ago. I was hoping that it would be an over-the-top surrealist comedy (like Tim and Eric/Eagleheart), but it really fell short. The joke was that Mexican cinema is cheap. But that joke shouldn't stretch the entirety of the film, but it did. Which is sad, because the premise showed a lot of promise.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
oh man. I'm taking your word for it. And I had high hopes for Casa de mi Padre. But I'm watching it anyway. :cookiestare
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
They might have needed to replace Norton, because of Norton himself, not willing to do the Avengers movie too.^^

Have seen Contraband last week, not as good as I had thought, but nice overall. Also The Grey was a devastating and exciting view, had to look up the "ending" on Youtube for the final scene.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Mission Impossible : Ghost Protocol turned out to be better than I anticipated. The action was decent and plot was entertaining. On the other hand, Underworld franchise is felt like its being dragged. The new installment had nothing much to offer, save some new stunts. It lacked supporting characters and focused too much on Kate. Movie 1 & 2 was far better and I think it is where they should have stopped.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I saw "Wrath of the Titans" yesterday. I already regret watching it. The plot is awful (for my taste), and too much effects that are unnecessary. the prequel is much better compared to this, and I would say that the prequel is an "Ok"movie (6.5 out of 10 according to my personal rating system :eyeroll) .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top