Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Man of steel was as good as a movie on superman can be. Superman is the most unbearable superhero. It s impossible to relate to him, he is not funny and his only flaw is to be perfect. At least man of steel got good visuals.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,120
Reaction score
20,234
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell


Original Manga



2003 Korean Movie directed by Park Chan Wook




2013 Movie directed by Spike Lee
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,286
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Man of steel was as good as a movie on superman can be. Superman is the most unbearable superhero. It s impossible to relate to him, he is not funny and his only flaw is to be perfect. At least man of steel got good visuals.
I don't think this is necessarily true, the movie could have definitely been executed better from a plot point of view. His transition from vagrant to superman was poor at best considering the bulk of it was limited to the guy wearing his family pijamas and they could have made made kevin costner not die an inconceivably stupid and utterly pointless death which should have convinced superman that humanity was not actually worth his time. It would have been nice to see the guy kinda struggling with the notion that the fate of the world weighted on his shoulders... but then again what is super strength for if it does not help you support the weight of abstract concepts? The superman movie could have been significantly better without changing it too much from what it was had it simply not have as many plot holes as it did. The amount of obvious plot holes in it is astounding.... its like no one bothers to check or writers lack common sense.

To put the whole thing in perspective, look at the original thor movie. The movie had pretty respectable reviews and the main character is a god from another dimension with virtually unlimited power (and he has even more power than that in the comic books). I guess thor kinda cheated when they took away his powers though, superman can't get away with that one nowadays because it gets us back to the whole thing about his only weakness is being made into a measly mortal.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

As for ben affleck being superman... As far as appearances go I think he could look like a respectable bruce wayne. I guess it comes down to how well he can play a badass action hero which I think would be something of a weak point for him.

I think the biggest issue here won't be afflect per say but rather the concept of the movie as a whole. Batman vs superman? In a fair world the word batman should by law be invariably preceded by "the god damn" or "motherfucking" however this is a live action movie which at least in principle is supposed to give us a human side to these mythological god among men. Its one thing to see a cartoon where these two going at it, its another one to see a real life version. Realistically speak there is not an universe where batman is anything short of an ant next to superman.... Half the movie will be about superman willingly not stepping on batman because he is a boy scout. If man of steel was that hole infested then there is no reason for batman vs superman to be even vaguely coherent.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke


Original Manga



2003 Korean Movie directed by Park Chan Wook




2013 Movie directed by Spike Lee
I think I saw a shorter teaser earlier, but that looks amazing actually...

As for ben affleck being superman... As far as appearances go I think he could look like a respectable bruce wayne. I guess it comes down to how well he can play a badass action hero which I think would be something of a weak point for him.

I think the biggest issue here won't be afflect per say but rather the concept of the movie as a whole. Batman vs superman? In a fair world the word batman should by law be invariably preceded by "the god damn" or "motherfucking" however this is a live action movie which at least in principle is supposed to give us a human side to these mythological god among men. Its one thing to see a cartoon where these two going at it, its another one to see a real life version. Realistically speak there is not an universe where batman is anything short of an ant next to superman.... Half the movie will be about superman willingly not stepping on batman because he is a boy scout. If man of steel was that hole infested then there is no reason for batman vs superman to be even vaguely coherent.
Have you seen The Town? He absolutely can play a badass in my opinion. And I wouldn't really describe Batman as that type anyways. He's always been nonlethal and more of a tactician.

I think the idea is that this will lead into an Avengers-like progression for the Justice League movies. I'm not sure about the atmosphere of Man of Steel, because I've only seen trailers. But I'm kind of skeptical about the atmosphere of the Nolan Batman movies melding in with Superman. It just doesn't fit. In the comics it's completely different, since there's so many different plot-arcs and even transformations stories go through over the decades.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I saw kick ass 2. It s the movie I enjoyed the most this summer. In my opinion, it s better than the first one. The complete movie is absurd and over the top. And it s hilarious. Special mention to the villain
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Saw Great Gatsby. Meh.

Saw Conjuring. Meh.

I think both these movies are overrated. >.>
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
"The World's End" was really good and got a chance to see it last Saturday. Another great film by Edgar Wright with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

"Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox" was another great animated feature from DC. Highly recommend, if you like those animated features.

Waiting for "Old Boy" by Spike Lee in November and still considering "Thor: The Dark World" and "Hunger Games: Catching Fire".
 

conn-man

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,729
Reaction score
359
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Saw kick ass 2 tonight. I'll say it, it surpassed the first one.

It had the same style as the first one, it actually stays true to character personalities and scope of plot. The difference that makes it better is that everything was bigger. The action, the characters, the blood, the fan service(imo is hard to accomplish tastefully while using live action), etc.

And to Featherman, I'm hesitating to see the the old boy remake. The original was spotless.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Saw Conjuring. Meh.
My friend said it really got to him; but that's because he believes in all that supernatural stuff.

Trailers:





News

  • There will be a sequel to 21 Jump Street, the clever entitled 22 Jump Street. Due for release June 2014.
  • There are plans to reboot Stargate as a movie trilogy.
  • Some Marvel movies news regarding their 2013 releases, casting news and some possible additions for the following year.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Anyone excited about the Captain Phillips film staring Tom Hanks? They say it could be an academy award film.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I really want to see Gravity, even if only to see how it could so much praise. :P

Robocop looks far better than the first shots with insight into his past and the prototype.

Oh fucking YES!!! to a Stargate reboot, remake, anything to do with the franchise after that never released game,mmo,w/e is good news.

Seen a couple movies:
The Good:
Now You See Me - entertaining and those effects :D
World War Z - as others mentioned this is so very different from the trailer, that I don't understand why they had released the original one
Stoker - not great, but one could feel Park's touch to it, still prefer his korean movies
What Masie Knew - can't go wrong with a bit of Skarsgård[want to see The East] and Moore, well everyone was pretty convincing in this one
Mud - Second good movie from McConaughey after The Lincoln Lawyer
The East - had a trope that I dislike, but a coherent plot coupled with some moral differences
Another Earth - Expected scifi, got nearly nil of it and it was for the better. Maybe I'm mistaking it for another two parralel earth movie, can anybody help?
Spring Breakers - Took me like four times to finally get past the beginning, but it was worth it. I understand why other swouldn't though.

The Bad:
R.I.P.D. - meh, MIB in bad
The Heat - Trailer did promise better, mediocre at best, a couple entertaining scenes

The Don't Care:
Pain & Gain - didn't thint it was really great, but expectations weren't high to begin with
The Bling Ring - not what I expected, Emma Watson was just a support character... yeah those girls looked fine, but so do those in college. :E Emma don't do a Miley
Pokemon movie 15: Kyurem vs Seikenshi Keldeo - can'r rate this one, but it was far from the best movie.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
hahaha i thought robocop was but a childhood memory!

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

A friend of mine watched and raved about Stoker, but only because she hasn't seen any of his original Korean movies. So that's why I told her "wait till you see his vengeance trilogy..."
 

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 19, 2011
Messages
667
Reaction score
489
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Sunspear
Yeah, Stoker pales in comparison to any of the Vengeance movies but it still very good, imo.

 
Last edited by a moderator:

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
World war z = 4.5/10
RIPD = 4/10
pain and gain = 3.5/10
now you see me= 7.5/10
we're the millers= 8/10 hilarious.
star trek into darkness= 6.5/10 better than the first one.
fast and furious 6= 5/10
oblivion= 4/10 way too slow.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany


The last couple one of this genre didn't do a good job, I hope the trailer doesn't spoil too much.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Watched the first half, than slept in seeing some scenes. :P Didn't strike me as great and I thought Foster had given up on acting.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
has anyone seen elysium?
Elysium was pretty good. I've never seen "District 9" and I was told the movies are very similar, but the story was pretty generic for the most part. It's more of a visual piece much like "Oblivion" or "Prometheus".

Waiting for someone to break the pattern of sci-fi films and do something totally unexpected and creative.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Waiting for someone to break the pattern of sci-fi films and do something totally unexpected and creative.
I haven't seen much of the recent SciFi offerings, but I agree. It's even worse with the Horror genre IMO.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top