Hangout - The Music Thread | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout The Music Thread

yui-kun

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
j-rock

Any of you guys into Japanese rock music? If you are, how did you get into it? Favorite bands/artists?

I got into Japanese music through anime, and I eventually found myself listening to j-rock exclusively (as in, I'm clueless about the mainstream rock music scene for the last two years). Sure, they've got some American/British influence, but most of the time they come up with music that is distinctly Japanese and unique. My current favorite bands include the pillows, NUMBER GIRL, ZAZEN BOYS, BEAT CRUSADERS, VOLA & THE ORIENTAL MACHINE, and SPARTA LOCALS.

iThePirate

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory
Corrupt said:
What's on my playlist:

Army of the Pharaohs
Demigodz
Apathy
7L & Esoteric
Styles of Beyond
Celph Titled
Jedi Mind Tricks
R.A. The Rugged Man
Fort Minor
GZA/Genius
Tonedeff

Linkin Park
Slipkot
Korn
Metallica
Slayer
Stone Sour
The Beatles
The Beach Boys
Deep Purple
Jimi Hendrix
Addin':

Non Phixion
Ill Bill
Necro

[Swedish]
Mobbade Barn Med Automatvapen
Organism 12 (Din vän, herr Ågren)
Pst/Q
Afasi & Filthy
Obnoxiuz
Gubb
Peshi
LOK
Rallypack
National Teatern

destinator

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well currently:
Tool
A Perfect circle
Dredg
Anathema
Porcupine Tree
Spineshank
Chicane
Amplifier
Riverside
Subway to Sally
Letzte Instanz

:D

One Eyed Sharingan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
right now i'm listening:
the pillows - "scarecrow" (latest single)
the predators - "Bakuon Drop"
the predators - "Recall Me"
the predators - "Dizzy Life"
the predators - "Sleepy Dragon"
the predators - "Mustang Hippy"
the predators - "Lizardman"
the predators - "Last Hunting"

ginousuke

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
currently listening to Muse and The Killers

[mod=Ichi]For the music that you're currently listening to, please post them here[/mod]

LaOnDa

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
YOoo people! high five :D

Can anyone tell me the name of this beautiful japanese singer? please :amuse

DemonDays

Reaction score
Country
England
Anybody going to Leeds and Reading Festival this summer?
Got loads of great headliners.
Nine Inch Nails, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bloc Party, Ash, Smashing Pumpkins, Klaxons, Kings of Leon and Arcade Fire just to name but a few!!

White Rabbit

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
I just can't wait to get the new Porcupine Tree-Album that will be released im mid April...

here's a little medley of the new album:

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

and here are two complete tracks:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eg8qzl

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x6x19w

I hope they come to Germany too with their release-tour, since Amplifier is stated as opener this time and this would make 2 bands that I admire in 1 concert.
The Porcupines have a good choice of openers in general... Anathema, Oceansize, Paatos... I like them all.

Last edited:

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, i went for a trip around the town alone on Sunday and then i went to a market that sells old records and cassetes. After looking around several stores, i found some awesome old cassetes of Uriah Heep. Since i didnt bring that much money (and old cassetes worth more than new CDs), i only bought one album, Look at Yourself, which features one of my favourite song, July Morning.

Last edited:

destinator

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I hope they come to Germany too with their release-tour, since Amplifier is stated as opener this time and this would make 2 bands that I admire in 1 concert.
The Porcupines have a good choice of openers in general... Anathema, Oceansize, Paatos... I like them all.
WTF? You must be kidding...Amplifier as opener? I am so waiting to see both bands and they tour together? Thats totally awesome... *checks for tickets*

White Rabbit

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
WTF? You must be kidding...Amplifier as opener? I am so waiting to see both bands and they tour together? Thats totally awesome... *checks for tickets*
here are the first germany-gigs that are announced:

22.06. - K

bax

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
You guys' taste is weird compared to mine, or is it that I'm the one who is weird :XD

Eermm... Mine >.>
Nightwish, Bond, Sonata Artica, Beethoven, Mozart, Kintaro, Shanghai String Quartet, Quatuor Mosa

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Eermm... Mine >.>
Nightwish, Bond, Sonata Artica, Beethoven, Mozart, Kintaro, Shanghai String Quartet, Quatuor Mosa

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
But mostly I listen to rock... I grew up on the classics, because my mom was a dj... Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Doors, Rolling Stones, Joni Mitchell, all those guys. and of course 90's stuff, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, anything like that. I haven't been too enthusiastic about anything very recent, except Jack Johnson :love his music is so honest and he really doesn't give a damn about fame and all that. very cool.
Wow, you and i got the same taste in music. My dad actually taught me the lyrics to some of the old Stones songs. :D
I also listen to those 90's alternative/grunge/whatever rock stuff too. and Jack Johnson is just awesome. I cant get Cocoon out of my head for the last two weeks. :XD

PaperYomiko

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, you and i got the same taste in music. My dad actually taught me the lyrics to some of the old Stones songs. :D
I also listen to those 90's alternative/grunge/whatever rock stuff too. and Jack Johnson is just awesome. I cant get Cocoon out of my head for the last two weeks. :XD
Well, you and I are just two extremely cool people, aren't we? :smile-big

Cocoon is a very good song... I think that album is my favorite of his, but it's really hard to choose, all his stuff is so great. Have you heard the Curious George soundtrack? May seem funny, but it's really good. A lot of the songs you wouldn't think were for a kids' album - he didn't change his style at all. I listen to it a lot in the car, to keep myself sane and happy (very bad drivers where I live :darn)

iThePirate

Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory
Man I'm looking forward to the new LP album it's due in a month now.

New single is good, not Breaking The Habit good, but good.

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Well, you and I are just two extremely cool people, aren't we? :smile-big
I do believe we are. :XD

Cocoon is a very good song... I think that album is my favorite of his, but it's really hard to choose, all his stuff is so great. Have you heard the Curious George soundtrack? May seem funny, but it's really good. A lot of the songs you wouldn't think were for a kids' album - he didn't change his style at all. I listen to it a lot in the car, to keep myself sane and happy (very bad drivers where I live :darn)
Yes it is a very good song. And i got Curious George soundtrack. Actually, the only reason i went to see CG on the theatre was because JJ's doing the soundtrack. :D

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I came across this nice band. Their genre is mainly piano rock, like Keane and Coldplay (also my favourites) but their music style is different from them. :amuse

I would describe Coldplay as slow rock, Keane is upbeat and Jack's Mannequin is more punkish.

Jack's Mannequin - piano rock/rock
Latest Album: Everything in Transit (2005)

My personal favourites from them Dark Blue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDScNjxlScE and Bruised - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cysuJUgCY5c

Last edited: