The Nihongaeri Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The Nihongaeri Thread

nytrogyn

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
All my love goes out to Nihongaeri for his dedication to weekly Edited Mangas. (im not gay :darn)
The quick releases and the high quality translations are amazing.
Thanks again for all your hard work and keep 'em coming!

--i had to start it..
-would translating alone (no transcript) be faster? if so, it'd be good if you could release
the translations first, then add in the raw text after. it must take a long time typing out the
jap, no?

Zenith

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
fast translations are usually always done by ratfox anyway. Nihongaeri is about quality and clarity of translation i guess.

Nihongaeri

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, I wasn't really expecting someone to start my thread for me... :p I guess I can only say that I'm flattered.
nytrogyn said:
-would translating alone (no transcript) be faster? if so, it'd be good if you could release the translations first, then add in the raw text after. it must take a long time typing out the jap, no?
Yeah, it really depends on the chapter. Since I've done pure transcriptions before when the RAW quality is really bad I can tell you that it takes somewhere between 25 and 40 minutes to type out the whole script, paying special attention that I don't f*ck up on any of the characters (which is surprisingly easy to do). I've considered just doing the translation only at first, and I think I've even done that a couple times, but part of me just feels that the translation looks more "complete" when the original text is sitting right above it. Something about having the actual Japanese text there makes me feel that I have more of a responsibility to make sure that the translation is accurate, and thus I think it really helps the quality of the translation in that sense.

For comparison sakes, I'd imagine that I'd be able to do a pure translation in about 35-50 minutes, as long as I keep the dictionary usage to only places where I'm just completely drawing a blank. But as soon as I add in the transcription and the obsessive amount of "thinking" that I do with my translations, it's not that uncommon for translation time to balloon to almost 2 hours for me... And I usually go back a reread it, proofread it, tweak it, and everything else, and I suppose that puts me at almost 3 hours for every chapter each week.

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Nihongaeri said:
For comparison sakes, I'd imagine that I'd be able to do a pure translation in about 35-50 minutes, as long as I keep the dictionary usage to only places where I'm just completely drawing a blank. But as soon as I add in the transcription and the obsessive amount of "thinking" that I do with my translations, it's not that uncommon for translation time to balloon to almost 2 hours for me... And I usually go back a reread it, proofread it, tweak it, and everything else, and I suppose that puts me at almost 3 hours for every chapter each week.
And that's what makes you so awesome :D. Yeah, I've done translations without the Japanese as well, and it just feels... 'naked' without it, so I also like to whip out the Japanese with it.

In all actualliity I want this site to grow more to have more translations than just Naruto ones. A place where one can come and see well thought out, and proof read translations so that the manga that they are reading is the manga the author intended and not completely different due to complete mis-translations.

If I wasn't so busy with all the stuff I'm working on, I'd start on my previous translations ASAP... but sadly haven't had the time. Between working on this new site and trying to get a new site up off the ground, time has been very slim (that and work getting in the way :s)

Even studying for the JLPT 1 has been ものすんんんんんごい少ないから、受かる可能性が・・・んーーーまぁ運が良ければ60%かも? which sucks :s... Anyways- I'll be sure to try harder on the next test... haha....(苦笑)

Great to have you around though! :ossu

一人事ですいませんでしたm(__)m

Nihongaeri

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
njt said:
Even studying for the JLPT 1 has been ものすんんんんんごい少ないから、受かる可能性が・・・んーーーまぁ運が良ければ60%かも? which sucks :s... Anyways- I'll be sure to try harder on the next test... haha....(苦笑)
Just another 2 weeks! Best of luck to you... I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you do better on it than I did the first time I took it

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
blah and I had a typo in what I wrote in jp :p.. anyways, what did you get the first time? and how many times did you take it?

Nihongaeri

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
njt said:
blah and I had a typo in what I wrote in jp :p.. anyways, what did you get the first time? and how many times did you take it?
Don't quote me on this, but I think I got a score of 240 or there abouts. I passed on my second try with a score of 335 or so... Again, I'm not completely sure of that though.

Oh... And this is just me being really anal here, but you technically still have a typo up there. :smile-big

nytrogyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Seeing that you spend 3 hours for us every week, makes me appreciate your work even more, thanks again Nihongaeri :amuse

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Nihongaeri said:
njt said:
Don't quote me on this, but I think I got a score of 240 or there abouts. I passed on my second try with a score of 335 or so... Again, I'm not completely sure of that though.

Oh... And this is just me being really anal here, but you technically still have a typo up there. :smile-big
Doh! and I new that too..... :s

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nihongaeri, hi. I dont see u much in NF too. It's nice to know u here.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Your translations are always awesome, Nihongaeri. :)

MaggeuS

Intl Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
All your translations are really awesome ...
Continue like that :)

Sariachan

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Nihongaeri said:
Yeah, it really depends on the chapter. Since I've done pure transcriptions before when the RAW quality is really bad I can tell you that it takes somewhere between 25 and 40 minutes to type out the whole script, paying special attention that I don't f*ck up on any of the characters (which is surprisingly easy to do). I've considered just doing the translation only at first, and I think I've even done that a couple times, but part of me just feels that the translation looks more "complete" when the original text is sitting right above it. Something about having the actual Japanese text there makes me feel that I have more of a responsibility to make sure that the translation is accurate, and thus I think it really helps the quality of the translation in that sense.

Wow, now I know why I like your translations so much! O__O
Awesome work, really. :)

Anax

Schrödinger's cat
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
How do you write Kana and Kanji here? Is it a font or does it require any peripherals for the PC like that notepad thing I've heard of?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hmm, I should ask some questions here too. Hope you don't mind some randomness here.

1) What's your favorite chapters of Naruto?
2) What other manga do you read?
3) What's the most difficult thing in the Naruto series for you to have translated so far?

Saithan

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Happy new year Nihongaeri :)

Saithan

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Nhongaeri, Iwanin suggested that I direct the translation question I have to you. I have attempted a translation, but at one point the girl hands over a cup of tea to a guy, saying "Sainan (something)" to which the guy replies "domo", I don't know how to translate it properly and was hoping you could help me out with it.

Well the translation I did can be found here. http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1062.0

shoked

Reaction score
thanks i was just reading one of your translations.... good job and keep it up

Mizura

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Nihongaeri, I was just wondering if I could ask you to translate a small part? I hope I'm not bothering you.

In chapter 245, page 17 and 18 basically, the different translations of what Sakura says are so different that it's very confusing:
- in Inane's version, Sakura says that she feels a little sad that Naruto has grown up, and then afterwards, when she's beating him up, she uses the words 'wonderful feeling of respect'
- Hisshouburaikan translates the 'wonderful feeling of respect' into 'sparkling shoujo heart'
- and njt has basically made the following translations:

そうだよね
成長したのは 見た目だけじゃないよね
何か少し寂しい気もするけど
立派になったじゃない・・・ナル
... wow...
It seems like you haven't grown
in just height...
You've become mature(can also use handsome, but I believe she's talking more about how he's become great in maturity)....
Naruto
I dunno, It kinda makes me feel lonely...

中身は全く成長しとらんのかいおのれは!!
You haven't changed at all!!!! ( lit would be You haven't grown at all!?? have you!!!!)

2年ちょいぶりに会ってたった二分ちょいで突っ込み入れさせんなコラ!!
We haven't met in 2 years and in just 2 minutes you try and pull a stunt(gag/trick) like that!!KORA(you punk/ass/)

さっきお前にキラキラ乙女心はどこへもってきゃいいんだ!!
Where the hell do you expect me to put the way I just felt about you?!

あァ!!
HUH!?!

なんか少し寂しいわけあるかあァア!!
Like I could ever FEEL lonely?!?!
Which one is it exactly? :S It's really confusing when three major translators imply three different things.

These are the raws:

asymptotic

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
You rock! Your translations are always the best.