The One Piece Dub is Finally OVER.

venicia777

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Messages
3,053
Reaction score
55
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
So sad that reality. I really dont know why they did it. I have never seen such a butchered great series in my life. And i have watched soo much anime and dubs already.

it is really annoying since one piece is one of the most rivetting anime series.
 

gigantor21

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2006
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
55
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
venicia777 said:
So sad that reality. I really dont know why they did it. I have never seen such a butchered great series in my life. And i have watched soo much anime and dubs already.

it is really annoying since one piece is one of the most rivetting anime series.
It seems like that happens with all my favorite series--the Bleach and Naruto dubs are ho-hum at best, One Piece sucked ass, and Hajime No Ippo (my favorite anime series) has one of the worst dubs I've ever heard. I've heard better dubs on obscure ****** than on Hajime no Ippo (don't ask me how), and One Piece isn't much better.

I guess the popularity of the show doesn't really mean shit after it gets licensed, sometimes.
 

ForteAnly

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2007
Messages
160
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just like everyone said this is the best thing that happend to One Piece in America. 4Kids is on of the most horrible licensors here in America. I heard quotes from 4Kids saying that they will edit and Americanize shows so kids won't notice it came from Japan. Hopefully, when One Piece re-airs everything would be like Bleach and Inuyasha where there no edits just crappy English Dubs.
 

Shimbo-kun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Age
35
Country
United States
Actually for those of you who are saying One Piece isn't popular your mistaken. When Toonami aired One Piece at 9:30 at night One Piece got good ratings and watches from kid 9 - 14 and some higher than that. Thats why many fans were thinking if the editting was really necessary. I mean come on! Like a 14 year old wants to see a person dying from squirt guns?

Well on another note we might be lucky. If One Piece continues as it is, having some American teenagers and adults watch, when the Arabasta (i'm sorry i know it's Alabasta but I dont like that one!) arc finishes some teens and kids might be able to win us over a good dub. But time will tell and hell i started out hating One Piece, now I'm a parasite reading every manga chapter and every episode! lol
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As much as i want one piece to be re-aired in an butchered form, I accept that it just isn't in the cards. All i can do is be glad that i will never hear that terrible Sanji voice ever again as long as i live.
 

chess4

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
5,215
Reaction score
1,555
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Latest Episodes Discussion

i really hate they stopped dubbing one piece to english.
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They didn't. They just stopped airing it on T.V. However, FUNimation, with its new and improved (no, really. Their dub is amazingly good) dub, has been releasing the series on DVD since May 2008. They're up to Whiskey Peak now, and DVD's SEEM to be coming out every two months or so, so start saving up your money if you want to watch the dub. Although I suppose that you could try renting the DVD's...
 

Skyrius

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
229
Reaction score
113
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Funimation released their bundled episode 1-14 at AX last year for about 40 dollars. I spent the last of my money on it XD On the bright side, I like the their dubbed version a hell of a lot more that 4kids. If you ever get the chance (and if you have a Wii), you can grab One Piece: Unlimited Adventure in English. Funimation's voice actors did that one too, and you can hear Franky's (probably) planned voice actor, seeing as the dubbed version hasn't caught up to Water Seven yet (unless they decide to change it).

I haven't bough the DVD's for any of the other episodes yet, but there was one thing that bothered me. As you know, Funimation also translated the opening songs for One Piece into English. I know that they've done We Are! and Hikari E. However, that would kinda mean that they're missing a couple of the opening songs (well, granted the second one's eurobeat type style isn't exactly easy to put lyrics to). So, do they still have those in Japanese or did they just take them out completely. Anyone know? (I'll be pissed if they did though >_>)
 

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
1,990
Reaction score
270
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you're asking. They didn't skip any songs. For the dub, they dubbed the songs. For the sub, they subtitled the songs. Both versions are accessible on the DVD, it depends on if you're watching the dub or the sub. What else would you expect them to do?
 

Skyrius

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
229
Reaction score
113
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Nah, I wouldn't know. That's why I was asking. The impression I got was that they hadn't dubbed all of the songs. I was just going off of the assumption that was true. If they have, then just ignore my question. I haven't gotten around to watching most of Funimation's episodes, so I wasn't sure.
 

Mugiwara_no_Jack

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2006
Messages
909
Reaction score
323
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Funimation do a great job I have to admit ...
Like that they dubbing the songs and theres no censorship or somethng like this.
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I like the Funimation dub too.

VA´s, Uncensored and trans, all this is great.

I wanted to see now the Funi Dub Episodes of W7/EL Arc^^


The german dub is also good, but not good with censored dialogs -.-
 

DARK

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
2,876
Reaction score
739
Gender
Male
Country
United States
ANY dubbing company would do better than 4Kids.
FUNimation's dub is consistent with the original- at least they don't "butcher" anything up. They have their censorship, such as referring "Eneru" as King instead of God. It is a satisfying dub at least, but any real One Piece fan would prefer the original.
 

Aramix

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Messages
18
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Probbably worst think in Funis dub is Luffy's voice. It sounds toomuch like a brat for me. But other thinks ok (at least how mach i saw) and openings are great. And about that god - king think. Some guys would be realy pissed of if they didn't do that.
Sorry for lame english.
 

DARK

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
2,876
Reaction score
739
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I find it weird that One Piece isn't "popular" here in the states like Naruto is.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Im so use to the OP Anime english sub's that all and any new dubs that do come out will just irritate me!!! I like watching most Anime with english sub's compared to the dub's lol.

For me, its great news that they've stopped airing the dubs! They were painfully awful to watch/hear!!! It disgraced Oda's name!!! The main problem with these tv companies/broadcasters is that they dub most, if not all, Japanese anime in a child-like manner and approach all of them in the same way!!! Which is a big NO NO NO!!!
 

DARK

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 12, 2009
Messages
2,876
Reaction score
739
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im so use to the OP Anime english sub's that all and any new dubs that do come out will just irritate me!!! I like watching most Anime with english sub's compared to the dub's lol.

For me, its great news that they've stopped airing the dubs! They were painfully awful to watch/hear!!! It disgraced Oda's name!!! The main problem with these tv companies/broadcasters is that they dub most, if not all, Japanese anime in a child-like manner and approach all of them in the same way!!! Which is a big NO NO NO!!!
As much as I respect your opinion, there is no reason to start up a flamewar between the original and any of the dubs.
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
As much as I respect your opinion, there is no reason to start up a flamewar between the original and any of the dubs.
In what way am I starting a flamewar?? You insisting on replying and adding 'there is no reason to start up a flamewar' whats the purpose of that??? Did I specifically target and upset anyone?? No.
 

luffyq1

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
447
Reaction score
94
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I will never take the English dubs seriously. The voice acting sounds incredibly cheesy. I think the reason why I never liked the English dubs is because I'm too used to the Japanese voice acting.
 

Ratatosk

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
234
Reaction score
86
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Kingdom
yeah, Luffy's voice is impossible to dub; you just don't get women voice-actors who specialize in playing badass kids in America, and even so he has the kind of voice that usually ends up playing sarcastic side-characters (like that little pervy kid in Dragon Ball) and the kind of over-the-top character who would usually be played by a bloke, even in Japan. And is immensely childish and laughing his ass off at everything most of the time but occasionally deadly serious, like the rest of the story. Especially in the early episodes where he's just being random with no evidence to back it up the acting carries the series. You just can't win.

One Piece voice actors are unusually good too, who knows how the got so many veteran voice actors on such a new show (I might be obsessed but Zoro seems to be everywhere these days..)

Anime dubs are getting better though, even for people who don't imagine everything they read with an american accent (Bebop was good in the day, FMA took itself seriously..., Princess Mononoke even got Neil Gaiman to edit the script...)
 
Last edited:
Top