The Origin of Dragon

Finale

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2007
Messages
527
Reaction score
100
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Alright, so I've been wondering lately what the backstory of Dragon is since we haven't seen much of him in the manga. The purpose of this thread is to put forth your ideas of Dragon's history. I believe that Dragon was once a Marine Admiral. Garp was obsesed with training Luffy and Ace into marines. Whether this is because their fathers are global criminals or because he just does or not is unknown. He did take Coby and Helmeppo under his wing. What if he did the same with Dragon and he did rise through the ranks and become an admiral?

Likely he grew disgusted with the doctrine of absolute justice and left the Marines. Remember during the Ohara incident, I believe that Akiainu and Aokiji were both just Vice Admirals so they clearly had predecessors. Being a high level former Marine official Dragon would know alot of Marine secrets thus being a great danger to the World Govenrment. Add to this title and his revolutionaries and you have the World's Greatest criminal since he knows alot of the dirty things the WG has its hands in.

Well thats my take on it what about you guys?
 

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
I remember once in Vegapunk forums a girl, Ryukai_san, opened a thread in which she wrote that there was an old chinese myth or something which said that the four seas were ruled by animals. There was red dog, blue bird, yellow monkey and white dragon. Can't remeber who had which sea, but white dragon was in the east.
Can't remember if there was a source mentioned.

I believe that it's fairly possible that Dragon was in Marine. He could have also been an admiral but not necessarily.
I remember in the flashback during Drum arc of the meeting of the kings 10 years before, how WG claimed that a man named Dragon will be a serious threat to stability in a few years. They also had a picture of him.
They might have known what he can do. Maybe he even possessed some knowledge which could harm the WG. I have trouble imagining him becoming a revolutionary without knowing a lot about WG and Marines. He has a reason to fight WG and he's not #1 wanted man just because he causes riots on WG territory.

EDIT:Here's the meeting - http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/142/06/
 

Spaceman-Spiff

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 17, 2008
Messages
47
Reaction score
43
Gender
Hidden
Country
Canada
AFAIK, the monkey, the dog, and the pheasant were references from Momotarou.
 

RichardMNixon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2008
Messages
908
Reaction score
285
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think it'd be cool if he was involved with the WG, but I also recalled Cobra's meeting and I think it invalidates that.

I remember in the flashback during Drum arc of the meeting of the kings 10 years before, how WG claimed that a man named Dragon will be a serious threat to stability in a few years. They also had a picture of him.
They might have known what he can do.
EDIT:Here's the meeting - http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/142/06/
If Dragon was a high ranking marine or WG official who broke off and swore to destroy them, I feel they'd be a lot more concerned than "this guy might be a problem later."

Also I would expect more people would know his relation to Garp.

I could see him being on Garp's ship for a while when he was young, a cabin boy or something, seeing something like a Buster Call or some other horrible act, and running away swearing to never let it happen again. Or if he's really nuts he killed the entire crew while Garp was ashore.

I think it'd be cool if Dragon was a morally questionable character (he did well in a poll here for "final boss" of the series), but with Ivankov there I think Dragon is probably a pretty good guy.
 
Last edited:

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
AFAIK, the monkey, the dog, and the pheasant were references from Momotarou.
Yes, that's where Sentoumaru comes from too, but that's not the only chinese story that involves those animals.


I think it'd be cool if he was involved with the WG, but I also recalled Cobra's meeting and I think it invalidates that.

If Dragon was a high ranking marine or WG official who broke off and swore to destroy them, I feel they'd be a lot more concerned than "this guy might be a problem later."

Also I would expect more people would know his relation to Garp.
The points you gave don't necessarily take the option out of the question since we know nothing about Dragon's past. Also, that was a warning to leaders of affiliated countries, WG and Marine do the hunting.
We can't exactly know how concerned they would be. They could have underestimated him. I doubt it that they planned for the revolution to spread that large.

And as for his relation with Garp, there is no reason why it should be known far and wide. His own son didn't even know.
 
Last edited:

NoLimit89

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
378
Reaction score
143
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
this sounds so Bleach. but still, I like it.
 

chess4

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
5,215
Reaction score
1,555
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i like the theory of dragon being an admiral. it would explain why his army is so organized. i also think that maybe luffy's mother was killed by the WG for some reason or she lost her life because of the WG and dragon snapped.

just an after thought...........luffy looks nothing like dragon so i would assume he looks like his mother. he looks so much like shanks, maybe shnaks is his uncle on his mothers side.
 

ZenoArmani

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
168
Reaction score
33
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I remember once in Vegapunk forums a girl, Ryukai_san, opened a thread in which she wrote that there was an old chinese myth or something which said that the four seas were ruled by animals. There was red dog, blue bird, yellow monkey and white dragon. Can't remeber who had which sea, but white dragon was in the east.
Can't remember if there was a source mentioned.
Hmm, which would be the other rulers then? Arlong, Enel, and Whitebeard? Enel would work as a bird, but who would be the dog and the monkey? Arlong was part shark, so it doesn't seem to fit, even though he had the highest bounty in the first sea Luffy went through. (Unless it's a "Sea Monkey" joke) I haven't really kept track of when in the story Luffy crossed between seas though.
 
Last edited:

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Hmm, which would be the other rulers then? Arlong, Enel, and Whitebeard? Enel would work as a bird, but who would be the dog and the monkey? Arlong was part shark, so it doesn't seem to fit, even though he had the highest bounty in the first sea Luffy went through. (Unless it's a "Sea Monkey" joke) I haven't really kept track of when in the story Luffy crossed between seas though.
Eh?
It obviously applies to admirals. Yellow monkey, red dog, blue pheasant (a bird). Ring a bell?
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,346
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Hmm, which would be the other rulers then? Arlong, Enel, and Whitebeard? Enel would work as a bird, but who would be the dog and the monkey? Arlong was part shark, so it doesn't seem to fit, even though he had the highest bounty in the first sea Luffy went through. (Unless it's a "Sea Monkey" joke) I haven't really kept track of when in the story Luffy crossed between seas though.
I think you misread it. In the chinese myth, the four "colored animals" ruled the four seas. I think the theory was about Dragon being an admiral, since both Red Dog, Yellow Monkey and Blue Pheasant are. Like, they were all rulers in the ancient myth, so they might have all been admirals in One Piece.
 

ZenoArmani

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
168
Reaction score
33
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Okay. I thought about the whole "rulers of the seas" thing.
 
Last edited:

BlackHair

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 10, 2006
Messages
2,503
Reaction score
1,005
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I heard of a another myth, which could be associated with the Yonko. The myth is about the four guardians which represent the four direction: The Dragon of the East, the Bird of the South, the Tiger of the West, and the Tortoise of the North. Each of them has its own colour:
  • Tiger = white = Whitebeard
  • Bird = Red = Shanks
  • Dragon = green = ?
  • Tortoise= black = ?
Well now Monkey D Dragon doesn't rly fit in. However those four guardians are guarding the center, which in the myth is China. If we now assign the myth to One Piece, I think the center could represent the revolution army, with Dragon in its core. After all he is the most wanted and the most dangerous criminal around and the Yonko are criminals themselves. So I thought about a connection here.

Anyway, Im most likely off with my thoughts, just wanted to throw another idea. btw I also heard about a golden dragon, who guards/represent the sun... there are rly too many of those myths :P
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I get the feeling that Dragon initiated his revolutionary idea (or what i like to call his 'baby-steps' in regards to his perspective of the WG, and going totally against them) when Gold Roger was executed!
 

Yans86

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
1,628
Reaction score
942
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I don't get why Dragon would have been and admiral while his father was a VA,and the "Hero" of the marines......it doesn' make sense at all!!!
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
where doesn't it make sense? you don't put an old man on top who is weaker than his son. ranks are almost always reflecting how strong and loyal the marines are. so theoretically a son can be ranked above his father, even if he is the "hero of the marines", which in turn only reflected that Garp was the one "capturing" Gol D. (so in fact he has done nothing).
that aside, who says they weren' both admirals and Garp was demoted due to age or his sons treason :oh
 

Razh

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
7,302
Reaction score
3,580
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
I don't get why Dragon would have been and admiral while his father was a VA,and the "Hero" of the marines......it doesn' make sense at all!!!
Nobody is saying that he was. But it's not impossible.

You don't get why Dragon would have been an admiral, while Garp wasn't?
Garp is obviously not suited for high positions. Look at how he behaves. It's possible that he didn't want to be an admiral or even that Dragon was stronger than him.
It's also possible, if Dragon was an admiral, that Garp couldn't become an admiral for his son's sins.

This is of course all speculation. I don't think Dargon was an admiral, but still, there's a chance that he was.
 

Black Lagoon

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 11, 2009
Messages
4,328
Reaction score
2,281
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
I don't get why Dragon would have been and admiral while his father was a VA,and the "Hero" of the marines......it doesn' make sense at all!!!
Garp could have been a fleet Admiral, but at this moment, who do you think is stronger? Dragon or Garp?
Obviously ... Dragon...
 

Yans86

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
1,628
Reaction score
942
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
1)Lol,at this moment is a total different matter that "YOU" r bringing out,not "ME"......so don't pu on me words that I didn't use to begin with...

2)How old do u think Dragon is?
Your "hero" of the marine,Monkey D. Garp,cornered Roger many times until 22 years ago likely....
If said Garp was around 60 at the time,Dragon would have been around 40.....but now having 60 and not even a white hair.....mah......admiral at his 30......meh....at his 20.....meh meh meh.......

Anyway,the "strenght to be admiral" doesn't mean u'll become one........SMOKER cough cough cough.........
 

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 21, 2007
Messages
7,318
Reaction score
3,462
Gender
Male
Country
Bavaria
smoker is far away from being an admiral. an admiral would have likely wiped the floor with Hancock and her haki, being perfectly aware about her abilities.

that's the problem though, we can't tell how strong dragon is, we only know he is dangerous and feared, but that could also be due to knowledge, that much we know.
and again the "hero of the marines" isn't a hero at all, garp captured gol as much as smoker captured crocodile.
 
Top