The real Eyeshield21 Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The real Eyeshield21 Thread

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Well, I was thinking that it was about time there was a topic dedicated to the biggest mystery in the manga, and NO, I do not create this topic only for my Marco/ES21 propaganda :noworry But, well, since I have my own weird theory about the real Eyeshield 21, I might as well post it here, right ? It would fit within the boundaries set by the topic title, wouldn't it ? Alright then, since everyone is asking, it's time for the

Marco/ES21 Theory !
©Xophien, 2006

Ah, I have so much to say about it (about as much as Koutarou has to say about kicks) that I don't know where to begin. Let's start with introducing the two players I'm talking about.

The Real Eyeshield 21

Note: yes, that is Kakei XD

So, what do we know about the Real Eyeshield 21 ? From what we learned before the Poseidon match, he was the ace at Notre-Dame Middle School. He is most likely as old as Kakei, or maybe one year older at the most, meaning he is currently either in first or second year of high school.

Physically, he is taller and has a stronger build than most japanese guys, enough to blow away the opponent LBs with sheer strength and technique without slowing down. For his personnality, he seems like a cool and composed nice guy, though Kakei's memories may be somewhat affected by an ES21 complex so it may not be accurate. As for why the hell did the Notre-Dame guys feigned to ignore who was Eyeshield 21 when Kakei was asking them, that's still a mystery, though I have a theory on that that I will develop later.

Overall, what we know about the real ES21 right now is near nothing. For some reason he didn't even take off his eyeshield while talking to a fellow japanese player, so he must have either some good reasons for that or some taste for secrecy... That would explain why we never heard about him again, though.

Now let's talk about the Hakushuu Dinosaurs quarterback, Marco.

Marco

He is the quarterback of the Hakushuu Dinosaurs, jersey #4.His real name is Maruko, but since it sounds like a girl's name (and he's right about that), he'd rather go with the nickname Marco, like a "suave italian". He actually looks more italian than japanese anyway, since he has blue eyes, and always wear some top-class tuxedo, it seems he's wearing it even at school, instead of a regular uniform. He looks more like a first or second year, I'd go with first year since Hakushuu was an unknown team before the tournament and I guess Marco is (even if he is not the real one) a really strong quarterback that would have made Hakushuu a more well-known team, but what I really think is that he transfered in Hakushuu this year and then he could be either a first or a second year.

Physically, it looks like he has a good sturdy build, though it's hard to tell his height when he's standing near Gaou, and Murata-sensei has some trouble with the players heights (like when Komusubi looks like he's 1 meter tall when he is near Mizumachi^^). We haven't see him play yet so we don't know of his capacities. Only thing for sure, if he is the last quarterback Deimon will face before going to the Christmas Bowl, then he must be at the very least stronger than Kid (the scrambler QB theory just seems really good to me, should he be ES21 or not).

As for his personnality, he seemed to be quite a coward during the tournament lottery, and didn't want to end against Shinryuuji, Seibu or Oujou, but just before the Taiyou match he said he didn't want to go against Taiyou either, and we all know how the match ended. There's an obvious contradiction between the fact that he is afraid of strong teams and the fact that his team just seems extremely strong that leads me to believe that he is not so much a coward but most likely an insanely careful guy. To further back up that, during Riko's interview he said himself that he wouldn't want to do something as dangerous as letting the opponents know his strong points, meaning that he actually HAS strong points. He also does seem to keep hidden cards, since he asked Gaou to not go at full strength. Other than that he has a laid-back personnality, and he drinks a lot of Coke in glass bottles (which is weird since it seems it isn't sold in Japan in glass bottles http://www.cocacola.co.jp/products/).

Now for the core of the theory...

The ultimate proof that Marco is Eyeshield 21
It obviously doesn't exist !

Well if there was something like an ultimate proof I wouldn't bother doing that topic in the first place^^" All I can provide is conjectures based on more or less accurate facts. We'll start with...

Marco is as strong as the real ES21. Yes, that's stupid, I know, since we know even know how strong the real ES21, neither do we know how strong Marco is anyway. But, in my opinion, Marco is at least stronger than any player Deimon faces to this day, the Oujou match included. Why ? First, because he NEEDS to be stronger, or else it woulnd't make an interesting finals^^" And to get a stronger player than Shin, who is already of NFL level, of course the real ES21 would be needed. Other facts pointing he may be extremely strong are :

-Like I said earlier, in the interview with Riko-chan, he said he wouldn't want the opponent to know his strong points. So of course it means he has strong points in the first place.
-Again for Riko's interview, the first page of the chapter (click here) shows Marco on the same level as Shin, while the more logical choice, Kid, has less space than the others. It may be a coincidence but I don't believe in coincidences, at least not in Eyeshield21. Does anyone still believe Seibu can defeat Hakushuu ? XD
-Gaou respects him enough to listen to his orders. Gaou respects Banba, who was strong enough to protect Harao while being trampled and smashed into tiny bits, so my guess is that Gaou respects strength and willpower more than anything, and I don't think Gaou would listen to what Marco said if he wasn't strong^^" With Gaou's tendencies to break things that he doesn't like (people or steal guardrails or people, and mostly people I guess), I think Marco would have been crushed a long long time ago if Gaou didn't like him (and I don't think Gaou would like him if he's a coward).
-He opens his coke bottles with his teeth. You don't see my point ? It's hard to do ! I tried that with a beer bottle and could do it. So it means he is strong, right ? (ok, that was not my best point in this theory)
-"Hakushuu Dinousaurs : We've heard a rumor that they're in the midst of a large reinforcement" That was in the omake of volume 06 At that time Inagaki-sensei already knew who Deimon would face in the Kantou tournament finals. Anyway, when we talk about a large reinforcement, obviously the first thing that comes to the mind is Gaou, who is a pretty large reinforcement by himself. But in my weird theorist mind, it's means for me that there are more than one new player and that they should be all strong^^" Marco seems like he's new in Hakushuu (he doesn't have an uniform yet ? or he just doesn't want to wear it ?), so I guess he was part of the large reinforcement.
-He has a sturdy build, making it likely that he is the most powerful quarterback in the manga since the Nasa Aliens' Homer. Yet he seems to have a well-balanced body, making him an ideal candidate for being a scrambler quarterback. And he does have kinda the same build than the Real ES21 too...

Marco lived in the USA. Why ? Because his father is part of the US military based in Okinawa where Marco grew up with the Gaou family dojo as a neighbour. Well, there's no proof of that, but since he has blue eyes, he can't possibly be 100% japanese (I don't think he wears contacts, we already had Akaba, that's enough). The fact that he keeps drinking coke could mean that he lived in the USA^^ (yes, it's a common cliché that americans drink coke all the time after all XD). And the fact that he is a strong guy but still nobody heard of him before this year either means he wasn't playing Amefuto the year before, or that he wasn't playing Amefuto in Japan with his true identity. On a side note, if I am the real ES21 and don't want other people to know, I would be really careful like Marco is :amuse

Another random fact :
Isn't that kinda weird that he knows Sena's name and face, that was only revealed in the third place match of the Tokyo Tournament that Hakushuu wasn't even part of ? Well, given his careful personnality he probably studied all the opponents he would have in the Kantou tournament but still, maybe he was intersted in following the career of another Eyeshield21^^"

Now let's see...

The ultimate proof that Marco isn't Eyeshield 21
It doesn't exist either !

Of course there is no proof that Marco isn't the real Eyeshield 21 either, or else what i'm doing right now would be a complete waste of time (well, it IS already a complete waste of time, but I still wanted to do it^^ hopefully there are still some that managed to get to that part, to you readers, I say thank you). Anyway, let's see some points.

Marco has the jersey #4, not the #21, and he doesn't have an eyeshield. Yes. Right. Of course, if I'm Eyeshield 21 and I want to hide my true identity, i'm going to wear the jersey #21 so no one will even dare to imagine it's me. Of course, I assume the real ES21 is effectively trying to conceal his true identity, otherwise I'm pretty sure everyone would already know about him. Same thing for the eyeshield, he was wearing it in Notre-Dame because that was a tradition, not for medical needs. If he were to wear an eyeshield in Japan, everyone would know it is him^^" It's the same thing as saying "Clark Kent wears glasses and Superman is not, so Clark Kent isn't Superman" XD

Marco is a quarterback, not a runningback. That may be true, but he still has a build that would fit a runningback, plus, the real ES21 was famous for having great arm strength to keep his opponents away. With a good use of this arm strength and his running skills, the real ES21 would probably make a fine scrambler quarterback, which would further help to conceal his identity.

Marco's personnality is far from what I imagined for the real ES21. And, if he is the real one, I'm happy with that, since I wouldn't want some one-dimensional plain cool character as the "final boss" of the mangaShin may be strong, he would still be a very boring character if he didn't have some flaws, like his mishandling of electronics or the fact that he does weird trainings sometimes, not to talk about the fact that he recognize people with their muscles and not their faces. A flawless character isn't interesting at all, having an ES21 laid-back and extremely careful about the other teams makes him more human :amuse

The real ES21 shouldn't be in Hakushuu but in the team that Deimon will face in the Christmas Bowl. That is, if we actually see the Christmas Bowl match :noworry May I remind you, the goal of the Deimon team is to go to the Christmas Bowl, not to win it, so we don't really need to actually see it^^ It wouldn't be unrealistic nor unheard of for a sports manga to end after the main goal is fulfilled. If that's the case, and if Hakushuu is really the last match of the manga, the real ES21 needs to be in Hakushuu. And, after seeing the intensity of the Shinryuuji match and currently the Oujou, I don't think after Hakushuu there would be something new to tell for Deimon... I'm pretty sure that Inagaki-sensei's imagination is really big, but I think he already started to throw all he had in the Shinryuuji match and don't think it will last for long.

Conclusion
Finally, I'm getting tired there~

I'm sure Marco is ES21 due to three facts.
-The fact that Marco is strong, as demonstrated earlier in this topic.
-The fact that there is no proof that he isn't Eyeshield21, which can't be said about all the other players we've seen so far.
-the fact that if he really is ES21, it will come as a big surprise, and since the identity of the real ES21 is the biggest mystery in the manga, the revelation of this should be the biggest surprise in the manga, and Inagaki just love to surprise us (mostly with Hiruma's trick plays but still XD).

If you managed to read all that, I must congratulate you, since it's obviously the theory of a madman who had nothing better to do this afternoon :amuse The last thing, I will let Gaou say it, while I'll go get some food (got hungry writing all that).

ThE WoRm

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Israel
Please register to see the content of this post.

Musashi Gen

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

Musashi Gen

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

OS.Hoshi

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

kadodo

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Haiti

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
Reaction score
Country
France

OS.Hoshi

Reaction score
Country
Guatemala

manu

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States