Discussion - The Shoujo/Josei Recommendation Thread! | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion The Shoujo/Josei Recommendation Thread!

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Re: Shoujo Manga Recommendation Thread

Title: Special A

Author
: Minami Maki

Summary: Special A is the special class comprised only on the top 7 ranks in school, who have been classmates since elementary because they have always maintained their ranks. Hikari is always no. 2, and has tried for the longest time to be no. 1, to beat Kei who is rank 1. Although Hikari is quite an achiever, she is really dense when it comes to love. While everybody else knows, she doesn't notice that Kei is really in love with her (Kei does not deny it), and even finds it funny because she only sees their relationship as that of rivalry.

Details:
Target Audience: Anyone in for some comedy. ;)
Number of Volumes released: Scanlated up to Volume 5, chapter 23

Why You Recommend It: This is a really funny, Laugh Out Loud manga. The characters are really original, and designed to be funny. It's somewhat Kare Kano/Ouran Host Club/Hana Yori Dango all rolled into one, and not the same as any of these either. Even if the school is somewhat the typical super-elite school, or the "I will beat him!" mantra, I still find the story quite original, because of the characters and the circumstances they are in.

Where to Get It: Mangatraders and VK scans

Last edited:

angsana

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: Josei Manga Recommendation Thread

Goong is a josei?? i'm really taken aback. in here it was published and categorize as shoujo.
i read Goong though and the contents to me is more targeted for teenage girls.

:o

angsana

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Re: Completed Romance Titles? Suggestions Please.

shoujo

hana yori dango
angel sanctuary
zettai kareshi

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Angel Sanctuary is super good, and it's finished, around 20 or so volumes. The art is beautiful.

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

You are right, Goong isn't Josei :amuse
I have moved the post to the Shoujo Manga Recommendation Thread instead.
How about you? Read any josei series that you can share with us? ^^

@Rakka - I think the series you mentioned are actually yaoi. :sweat

moon212

Reaction score
Country
United States

Title: Blaue Rosen AkA Ai wo Utau yori Ore ni Oborero

Author: Mayu Shinjo

Summary: Akira Shiraishi, a boy widely regarded as the "princess" in his all-boys high school, decides to pursue Mizuki Sakurazaka, the "prince" of the neighbouring all-girls Saint Nobara High. Concealing his true sex to most of the students at St. Nobara's, he even manages to join Mizuki's band, the "Blue Roses". Mizuki, priding herself to be a tough tomboy, soon finds herself at a loss: Should she maintain her reputation as a "bishōnen" and prince in her school, or should she accept Akira, who never fails to make her feel like a woman every time they were alone?

Details: Vol 5 - ongoing

Why You Recommend It: Ai wo Utau Yori Ore ni Oborero aka Blaue Rosen. is different kind of manga As you can probably tell by looking at the picture theres something different about the manga. Uh..no it aint Yaoi. No really it's not. In fact, it's Het. You see, one of those lovely boys in the picture is in actuality a girl. I was like wow Mayu Shinjo did a manga like this .

Where to Get It: http://www.redmadness.net/m_ongoing.php?start_from=5&ucat=&archive=&subaction=&id=&

Last edited:

kujika

Reaction score
Country
Austria

@Goong Um... Goong is neither Josei nor Shoujo... 'cause it's not a manga. But I guess you can use the same criteria to categorize it that way... but not criteria concerning the art.

Title: Kimi Kara no Resume

Author: Karen (scanlated by JanimeS)

Summary: An average girl from a relatively average university somehow makes it into the general affairs department of a company. The story basically revolves around the relationship of her and the manager and other work-related issues.

Details: Complete; Mature Female Audience who don't mind some more Mature scenes; about 30 chapters

Why You Recommend It:
Great writing style (wow also to the translators^^), the art is not that good, I think, but the story line easily made up for it. At the begining I thought "Great, a work-related mature manga... I'm not sure I'm going to like that." Well, I did. So give it a try ;)
It's more a light read than dark one, not at all compareable to Deep Love Ayu. It's also quite more realistic than other Josei I know.

Where to Get It:
SVLoyalty (google it)

Rating: 8/10

Last edited:

Azurel

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: Shoujo Manga Recommendation Thread

Title: Ringo Nikki

Author: Nakahara Aya (Lovely Complex)

Summary: Ringo's life isn't going so well. Her father's company went bankrupt so they had to move to a new town. Because of that she's leaving her crush behind, but worst of all there is this weirdo she met in the new town she's moved to. In between all of this commotion, will she ever find happiness?

Details: Romance, Shoujo, 2 volumes (on-going)

Why you recommend it: It has the same art style as love com; hack the 2 main characters from this story are like twins of Otani and Koizumi. :XD

Where to Get It: scanlated by J-sis & Ochibichan http://www.j-sis.net/forum/index.php

Last edited:

mangaME72

Reaction score
Country
United States

-hot gimmick, (shoujo)was a really good one

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

like tokuroka, I'm wondering if anyone else have any other scanlated-complete shoujo series to recommend besides those already mentioned?

kaloo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I really enjoyed Forbidden Dance, 4 volumes.

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Title: Hotaru No Hikari

Author: Hiura Sotaru

Summary: 27-year-old Hotaru would rather sleep at home than seek romance, but due to unforeseen circumstances, suddenly she’s living with her boss, Takano. What’s more is that she now has a budding relationship with Makoto, who’s younger than she is. Like a dried fish thrown back into the ocean, can she learn to swim again and rediscover the ways of romance?

Details: 10 volumes (on-going); so far only first chapter scanlated. :scry I hope the group continues with it.

Why You Recommend It: I think it's hilarious and pretty sweet.

Where to Get It: J-sis (http://www.j-sis.net/)

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

0.0 I'm surprised nobody recommended Nodame Cantabile!

I'll make it then.

Title: Nodame Cantabile

Author: Tomoko Ninomiya

Summary: Shinichi Chiaki is a very talented pianist who was trained by the famous conductor, Sebastino Viera. Chiaki's mother decides to bring him back to Japan. When the plane they're on is about to land, it crashes. Because of this incident, Chiaki is traumatized and he is unable to bring himself to ride a plane again, not even a boat, for fear of drowning. This, however, is unknown to everyone in the music university he is attending.

It is unfortunate that Chiaki's talent doesn't get the attention it deserves because he doesn't join in competitions nor perform in public. His professor gives up on him and puts him under a new professor. This new professor insists on Chiaki performing a duet with a very strange pupil of his, Noda Megumi.

Details: Scanlated up to vol. 15 chapter 98

Why you recommend it: What makes the two of them very cute is that Chiaki denies and denies that there is anything going on between them, but he cannot help watching over Nodame. Nodame is exactly like a three-year old who must be attended to at all times.

The characterization is wonderfully done. Chiaki is a perfectionist who seems to excel in almost anything from playing music instruments to cooking. Nodame is a happy go-lucky, and almost clearly has a psychological condition of sorts, nearing autism perhaps. Not to mention the other characters in the least.

It's very light. Not cheesy, not mushy.

Where to get it: http://www.ncismanga.net <-- NCIS team

mangatraders.com <-- authorized distributions

Azurel

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Title: Spicy Pink

Author: Yoshizumi Wataru

Summary: Sakura is a hard working shoujo mangaka who has no time for relationships. She is forced to attend a goukon and meets a rude and patronizing doctor. Despite their differences they begin dating. Can she find love with this petulant man?

Details: Josei, 1 volume (on-going) scanlated till chapter 3.

Why You Recommend It: I think it has the same style as HnH. :))) and becoz I've become a groupie of J-sis! :lmao

Where to Get It: J-sis (http://www.j-sis.net/) IRC or forum

Virusbluemage

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Please reccomend a Shojo manga to me.

I'm looking for a weekly(and on-going) Shojo manga that currently has at least 100 chapters. Please recommend any Shojo that meets this criteria as I'm not picky. Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Ahzzy

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Re: Please reccomend a Shojo magna to me.

Skip beat is on-going series with around 114 chapters. I'm not sure about weekly, it might be every second week too

gisborn8

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia

How about Kaikan Phrase??
but that's smutty though..

Nami

Queen of The Damned
Reaction score
Country
United Nations

Don't know any weekly series, and only bi-monthly and even less than 100 chapters. Maybe you can try Nodame Cantabile, it's still on-going. Other on-going series are Usawa no Midori-Kun, Ouran Host Club, Kiniro no Cardo, Bokura Na Ita.

I would have recommended Parfait Tic but it has already ended.:amuse

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I would recommend Vampire Knight, Ouran High School Host Club and Fruits Basket to you. Furuba (Fruits Basket) yet already ended (with 21 volumes I think, could also be 22 volumes)

sabaku_chou

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

How 'bout clamp no kiseki?

And, fullmoon wo sagashite? but it has finished..

and, D.N.Angel?