Hangout The Sports Hang-Out Thread!

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Sport Thread!

Hi guys...
I like soccer so much...
I like arsenal and liverpool.. rooting them to gain their place (liverpool 2nd, arsenal 4th) in premier league..
expecting so much out of this year's world cup..
rooting for Japan and Brazil..
go! beat Australia!

and i played softball back in singapore, don't really like it.. i prefer baseball though..

and footies.. urgh.. footies in australia (both NFL and Aussie Rule) are just excuses to drink beer... man, no one was sober when they left the stadium..then the drunks started fighting in the city, bus, pubs, etc... don't have anything against the sport though...very physical but i don't really see much technique.. but i do like eyeshield 21 though :D

the reason i liked soccer because it's beautiful and consists of all sorts of quality.. physical, technical, and strategical...

basketball..humm..used to like it but gets boring nowadays.. don't pay much attention to it anymore...

i played tennis when i was 6-11...
haha.. you know when you're a kid, you have to hit with all your power to get to the other side...
so i stopped playing for 10 years already now... and just yesterday my GF's dad asked me to play with him...
my god... i hit the ball with no power at all... it was a homerun...


*MANGA*
Uhm, about soccer mangas...i have lots of them... Captain Tsubasa, Whistle, Our field of dream, Striker, Offside, Shoot! (all sagas), Fantasista, Monaco no Sorae, (one women soccer manga which i forgot the title..Bean? i think...)
i can say the best one out of all those are Fantasista.... realistic, technical, and strategical... very recommended! too bad no one's doing the Edited Manga.. (i do have the paper copy from the start till the end 1-25, really2 wanna start a Edited Manga project, but time and resources don't allow me to..)
 

Miso

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,585
Reaction score
31
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Re: The Sport Thread!

karasu said:
*MANGA*
Uhm, about soccer mangas...i have lots of them... Captain Tsubasa, Whistle, Our field of dream, Striker, Offside, Shoot! (all sagas), Fantasista, Monaco no Sorae, (one women soccer manga which i forgot the title..Bean? i think...)
i can say the best one out of all those are Fantasista.... realistic, technical, and strategical... very recommended! too bad no one's doing the Edited Manga.. (i do have the paper copy from the start till the end 1-25, really2 wanna start a Edited Manga project, but time and resources don't allow me to..)
There is a thread about this: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1393.0
You may want to take a look.
 

KTFS

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Re: The Sport Thread!

FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!(american) play it & watch :) GK your a man after my own heart.
Snowbording but I can only do that in the winter. :( But the upside is I can skate in the summer
 

JanneK

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
Re: The Sport Thread!

KTFS said:
Snowbording but I can only do that in the winter.
Snowboarding is so much fun! Can you do any certain trix? :)
 

KTFS

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Re: The Sport Thread!

JanneK said:
Snowboarding is so much fun! Can you do any certain trix? :)
Yesir indy grab (first trick I ever learned),ollies,backside 180,360 it took me forever to do(i've tried a 720 about 10 times and made it once. It hurt the 9 times i missed) the funny part is I can do a haaken flip not perfect but I can do it.  Anyway so how about you ? Do you board if so what trix do you do? :tem
 

JanneK

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
Re: The Sport Thread!

Yes, I do board, and I LOVE IT. :)

I can do ollies, 360, rail and from there 180/360 (though I usually fail :P) , and a simple grab. Then there's 1 more but I dont know if they have any specific names ;___;

Next time I´ll go boarding I´ll try to do some trix at the half-pipe, If I dont chicken out like last time :oh
 

KTFS

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
109
Reaction score
0
Re: The Sport Thread!

boarding is the sport of the brave I alway say and your are. All that really happens is you fall but get right back up. And when you do the trix right you feel like your on cloud 9. Man i wish it snow now I wanna go boarding...
 

dEr HüHnChEnBeScHwÖrEr

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2006
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: The Sport Thread!

I like to do Ninjutsu a kind of martial art (like bibichan...we have training in the same dojo :)) and I'm general interested in martial art.
Also I do Batminton :)

I like to do all kind of sport...maybe volleyball is the sport I don't like so much xD
 

Rampages

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,032
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The Sport Thread!

I prefer tennis over badminton, it's much more challenging, IMO!
 

Bibichan

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
982
Reaction score
21
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: The Sport Thread!

Rampage-san said:
I prefer tennis over badminton, it's much more challenging, IMO!
Actually, it's a researched fact that badminton is more exhausting than tennis.
badminton > squash > tennis
But it's probably subjective as well. :) I prefer squash.
 

Rampages

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,032
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The Sport Thread!

Bibichan said:
Actually, it's a researched fact that badminton is more exhausting than tennis.
badminton > squash > tennis
But it's probably subjective as well. :) I prefer squash.
I didn't say it was more tiring, I said it was a harder sport to play. I used to play badminton at school all the time, trust me, I know. It's much harder to be good at tennis than badminton.
 

JanneK

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
Re: The Sport Thread!

Rampage-san said:
It's much harder to be good at tennis than badminton.
Amen! I just started playing tennis, took my first lesson a few days ago and boy was it hard XD I like to consider myself good at badminton, since I´ve played it for over 5 years before, and the difference in skill you need is HUGE!
 

Rampages

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Messages
1,032
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: The Sport Thread!

JanneK said:
Amen! I just started playing tennis, took my first lesson a few days ago and boy was it hard XD I like to consider myself good at badminton, since I´ve played it for over 5 years before, and the difference in skill you need is HUGE!
I know! I thought I wouldn't suck so much at tennis since I was already pretty good at badminton but it was completely different than what I had expected. :darn
 

JanneK

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 9, 2006
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
Re: The Sport Thread!

Well, how long have you been playing now, and was it difficult to learn the basics?
And what racquet(s) do you use? :)
 

CheckMate

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
488
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Sport Thread!

I like Football/soccer very much.. and I love to play it too.
My fave teams are bayern munich, milan AC, and Juventus.

I like chess but only if i am involved in the game (wel u know, ppl normally dont watch chess match, dont they?

The sport I dont play but i like is basketball (NBA only), and tennis.


Sport I dont like: cricket (boring, isnt it?, and what's that btw?)
 

Obito

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Sport Thread!

What sports you like tends to reflect on where you live, for instance in Europe soccer/football is a very popular sport however basketball and baseball, and american football aren't as popular contrary to the United States.
I like all those sports though and reading manga about them just makes even better. My favourites include Basketball, Soccer and tennis + a whole lot of others.
 

CheckMate

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
488
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Sport Thread!

hey, hey how about something starts on June 9th this year :p
 

rykarreolacr

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
4,997
Reaction score
39
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Costa Rica
Re: The Sport Thread!

you_know_who said:
hey, hey how about something starts on June 9th this year  :p
I hope Italy wins it!!!!
 

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2006
Messages
566
Reaction score
23
Age
39
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The Sport Thread!

OH, man. There's a reason I stayed away from this topic... I'm going to have to hold back or I'll get too long-winded!

I love sports. They can be good for the mind and the body, if you remove abusive coaches from the mix.

I don't play so many sports anymore, but my favorites to play were softball, volleyball, and soccer.

In softball, I played shortstop and defense was my favorite thing to do, though batting was awesome despite getting my thumb shattered twice and having girls purposely be given the sign to throw at my face. The problem with batting is that when you hit well, not everyone is a good sport about it. And giving the sign to hit a girl with a pitch ("Pitch at her") is very unsportsmanlike. I was a very good softball player - good enough to play collegiately, but I didn't. :p I say this with some reservation, but I was a heck of an infielder. That's just how it was.

Volleyball is tons of fun to play. I was a setter. I was a pretty good volleyball skills player - couldn't spike though. Too short and couldn't jump. I had a killer serve that is called a "floater" - like a knuckle-ball the moves. XD So much fun! I was a good setter at least, though. My passers sucked. They gave me passes far away, super high and spinning like crazy. Still, it's such a fun sport to play, especially the digs and the saves.

Soccer was something I played up till high school - then I picked volleyball. Oh, it was so awesome though. If our school team hadn't been so green, I might have played there. I could dribble well and I played forward, or whatever else you might call that. I had one other friend who was an awesome forward. She could shoot really well. So, I dribbled through all the traffic and she usually shot. Therefore, I wound up usually getting more assists than actual goals. And I always got stuck doign throw-ins and corner kicks for some reason, though I'm not sure why. My big sister was the goalie back then and let me tell you - she was wonderful! She must have had a natural talent for that sort of thing (she was also the catcher in softball and she threw tons of people out to me at 2nd!) - because she could *punt* that ball upfield! Man! And I'd been waay upfield waiting, cause I was the one who knew she could do it. When she punted, it was usually when I scored goals - me vs. goalie. Wow - I didnt' realize how much I missed it. For those of you who find it boring to watch, let me tell you - it's an absolute blast to play!

I did play basketball, but I wasn't very great at it. :p I had more fun rebounding and catching the ball when people tried to slam it off my legs out-of bounds (their faces when I caught it at my ankles - so very funny!) than I did actually playing. At one point, I shot pretty well, but I wasn't too interested and found it boring to play, so I lost interest and kind of lagged at practicing. Basketball is too repetitive to me. Dribble back and forth. Shoot. Dribble back and forth. Pass. Shoot. Some people live for that, but it's not in my blood.

A sport I wish I'd played > Competitive Swimming! Fun!

Now, I like to actually watch Baseball and Softball. Don't ask me why, I just love it. I hate watching basketball. Everybody "carries" instead of dribbling nowadays and it just seems less about skill now! Those guys are so tall, I think the goal should be raised. Soccer is all right to watch, but I don't watch a lot of it. Now, a sport I adore watching is TENNIS. So very awesome - all those shots and running back and forth. Must take some super skills to play tennis! Ooo! And though I don't have the initmate understanding of football (American not soccer) as far as the more specific ruls and plays go, I ADORE watching it. It's very exciting. I watched a lot of college football this last fall.
 

karasu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
Messages
455
Reaction score
18
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: The Sport Thread!

ooh softball.. was it a mixed?
i played softball back in singapore..but it was all guys..
our school was a famous one for softball..
i played 2 matches and won during the southern singapore preliminary..
one was a close one, and they called me the lucky batter..
coz i was a newbie.. very2 nervous in the batter box and i never noticed the coach's sign..
even when i noticed it.. i forgot what the sign meant..
runner at 3rd, 1 out, and score is 3-3... i suppose he wanted me to bunt i think.. but i couldn't think at all..
but yeah..i hit.. the ball lobbed a little bit above the pitcher's hand, he can't reach it, and the ball dropped between him and the 2nd base..
i ran to first.. runner ran home.. they threw at home.. but too late, he was safe..i had enough time to 2nd base..
and after 2 blunder pitch (he was shocked..).. i ran home :D we won by 2 points
corz the coach was mad... it was a real lucky shot...

i had my wrist injured in the 2nd match... we were winning by 35 points or so... they stopped the match just after 6 innings... coz they can't stop us at all (no out, first and 2nd pitcher too tired, no other pitcher left.. they put someone who can't pitch as pitcher then.. ) and the sun is setting.. they gave up.. but yeah.. i was over excited after scoring 1 points.. (i got 2 batting turns in one inning :D) and injured my wrist when i bat :(

we lost at the national finals.. i didn't play during the finals due to that injury..
 
Top