Year Round - The Tennis Thread | Page 48 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Year Round The Tennis Thread

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The Tennis Thread

Serena wins #20.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Really glad she came through that one; especially with the way the third set began, I thought the match would quickly slip away from her but she broke back and held as quickly as she was broken. Now she just stands 2 Grand Slams behind Steffi Graf.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

My prediction is Novak in four sets.

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Wawrinka's killing it.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

2-0 nice!

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 PM ----------

3-0!

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

3-1

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 PM ----------

3-2

---------- Post added June 08, 2015 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was June 07, 2015 at 11:58 PM ----------

3-3 D:

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

4-3!

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

4-4 D: the comeback.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

4-5...

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I can't believe Stan won...

Faust

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Wawrinka defeats Djokovic 3-1 (4-6, 6-4, 6-3 6-4) (2nd Grand Slam title)

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

The backhand god.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

Hahaha, i wish I was a betting man. I actually bet on Stan. He can destroy anyone when he's on fire...as he has been this whole tournament. Stan has now beaten Nadal/Federer in a slam. And Novak twice. He beat Novak and Fed to win..he earned it.

That said:

That said...methinks he finds another way to lose Roland Garros again.
History repeating itself. Soderling beats Nadal, loses to swiss guy.

Novak beats Nadal, loses to swiss guy.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

My pick is Serena in three.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

My pick is Serena in three.
I would've probably went for the same, especially seeing how the first set was going. I'm just glad she won in the end and completed her Serena Slam. Now to get the Grand Slam at US Open :nod

Pick for the men? I'm really hoping it's Federer in 4. If it goes to 5, I don't think his body could take it.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

I support Djokovic and don't like Federer, so naturally I'm going to pick Djokovic. I'll say Novak in....five. I'd like to say four, but I feel like he'll donate away a set at some point.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Djokovic wins in 4!

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Booooo!!! I stopped watching after the 3rd set. I knew he'd lose at that point; so sad. I wonder if there'll be a better chance for him to win a slam again.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Booooo!!! I stopped watching after the 3rd set. I knew he'd lose at that point; so sad. I wonder if there'll be a better chance for him to win a slam again.
That Swiss prat should never win again.

I just hate Fed, sorry, Bob.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I support Djokovic and don't like Federer, so naturally I'm going to pick Djokovic. I'll say Novak in....five. I'd like to say four, but I feel like he'll donate away a set at some point.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Djokovic wins in 4!
That Swiss prat should never win again.

I just hate Fed, sorry, Bob.
Sounds like you need to grow up a bit.

Idk how you can dislike Fed/call him a "prat" and then fucking support Novak and Serena who have had many unsportsmanlike/assholish incidents throughout their careers. The line judge incident in 09, 0 credit to her opponents i can go on and on. The tour AND the fans didn't take to Novak like they did Fed or Nadal (i remember roddick calling him out on his BS retirements in the 08 open, retiring from matches he's going to lose,imitating players behind their backs in the locker room, mocking Nadal publicly on twitter etc) until he tried be as politically correct/well loved as possible so he can be as popular as the "swiss prat" and Nadal lol.

---------- Post added at 10:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Wimbledon or USO was/is his best shot. Last year he was unlucky to have that Monfils 5 setter and then run into Cilic in the one tournament he decided to play amazing in. Clocks ticking but it doesn't really matter. Luck is a big factor...he still made the finals w/ relative ease...at near 34, when most of the greats have retired already at that age. Gasquet actually handed Novak the title..had he run into stan...well..yeah. Hewitt retires after the AO so Fed is pretty much the only one left from his generation still playing. (Blake,roddick,nalbandian,safin, soon hewitt,davydenko etc have all long retired).

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Sounds like you need to grow up a bit.

Idk how you can dislike Fed/call him a "prat" and then fucking support Novak and Serena who have had many unsportsmanlike/assholish incidents throughout their careers. The line judge incident in 09, 0 credit to her opponents i can go on and on. The tour AND the fans didn't take to Novak like they did Fed or Nadal (i remember roddick calling him out on his BS retirements in the 08 open, retiring from matches he's going to lose,imitating players behind their backs in the locker room, mocking Nadal publicly on twitter etc) until he tried be as politically correct/well loved as possible so he can be as popular as the "swiss prat" and Nadal lol.
Really, I've never liked Fed. I've thought he's pretty arrogant and unlikeable his entire career. Anyway, have you seen what the Fed sheep have to say about other players? A good number of them wished that Novak would injure himself if it meant Fed winning.

Anyway, Fed has plenty of asshole moments. The press conference after Novak beat him and the bitching about the "lucky shot." The faux comforting Roddick while they were standing there after the 2009 Wimbledon Final. Bitching at Novak's parents (admittedly, they were out of line). Mirka, not Fed himself (but still), bitched at Stan. If you're going to say that Serena doesn't give credit, take a look at Fed. His losses to certain players always come with bs in press conferences. Fed's in no way the classy person Fed fans make him out to be.

I'm okay if people are up front about things, but hiding behind a facade and then having targeted snide comments is worse than being upfront about things. To be honest, I enjoyed the imitations at the USO.

In terms of the Wimbledon crowd, I think that they're the worst crowd in a "massive event" in sports. They even supported Fed over Murray. They couldn't even root for their own countryman? Shameful. The shouting in the middle of points in an attempt to distract Serena or Novak is pretty awful as well.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Really, I've never liked Fed. I've thought he's pretty arrogant and unlikeable his entire career. Anyway, have you seen what the Fed sheep have to say about other players? A good number of them wished that Novak would injure himself if it meant Fed winning.
Player doesn't =/= Fans. I'm sure i've seen far worse than you on the tennis forum I used to frequent. Novak fans have become obnoxious since 2011. Federer and Nadal fans still are. Not going to hold that against them. Have you seen Rafa sheep? Novak sheep? That hasn't stopped him from being my second favorite since Andy retired. All i wanted was a good match and came here to discuss it. Not see my favorite player bashed. There's a reason i quit that forum. Novak is just as arrogant lol. He and his family were declaring him the king of tennis after he beat fed in australia in 08...and he never made another final until the 2010 US. Didn't win another until 2011.

If federer is humble then people would call it false humility. I don't really expect anything less than confidence from someone who broke/hold so many of the games records. When you don't like a player I guess it's impossible to be unbiased. Janowicz had an interview in 2013 where he called both Novak and Federer fake..so who can really say?

Anyway, Fed has plenty of asshole moments. The press conference after Novak beat him and the bitching about the "lucky shot." The faux comforting Roddick while they were standing there after the 2009 Wimbledon Final. Bitching at Novak's parents (admittedly, they were out of line). Mirka, not Fed himself (but still), bitched at Stan. If you're going to say that Serena doesn't give credit, take a look at Fed. His losses to certain players always come with bs in press conferences. Fed's in no way the classy person Fed fans make him out to be.
Fed isn't a saint. No player is, Rafa was being a brat just this year when he requested Carlos Bernades the chair ump to never umpire one of his matches again simply because he was enforcing the godamned rules of the ATP...that's some diva BS.

What's he supposed to do after the final gloat? Roddick was known for his Mcenroe esque tirades against chair umps, called out Novak on his BS injuries (which novak tried to retaliate with causing him to lose the crowd at the USO until next year). So he's no saint either lol. Fed gives credit sometimes and he also discredits his opponents. Every player does it. Until 2015 every time rafa lost a big match there was an excuse. Tired, Injured, My parents are fighting etc. Serena pretty much never gives credit. You've said you only follow big tournaments but i pretty much follow the tour the whole year, i have my reasons for feeling the way i do. Novaks parents were obnoxious, everyone knows this. I don't think fed was out of line. Mirka was, but if you can blame fed for what she said then you can blame novak for his parents.

What about Novak on twitter w/ Tipsaravic pointing a fake gun at novak asking "how much would rafa pay" when Novak was on a streak VS Rafa? is that classy?

Tispy took the picture down (naturally) but it's floating around.

Or how about novak telling the crowd to lick his d*** in Serbian because they were rooting for Dimitrov?

How about novaks press conference after being down 4-6,4-6 and then retiring against Nadal in 2006 FO and claiming "i had control of the match" Novak would not go on to beat Nadal on clay until 2011. Or at RG until 2015. Lol.

Fed's no Saint, and you don't have to like him, but don't paint other players in a different light when they're apparently birds of a feather.

I'm okay if people are up front about things, but hiding behind a facade and then having targeted snide comments is worse than being upfront about things. To be honest, I enjoyed the imitations at the USO.
This is personal bias...you enjoyed the imitations others thought they were inane and immature. There is a reason he stopped them.

In terms of the Wimbledon crowd, I think that they're the worst crowd in a "massive event" in sports. They even supported Fed over Murray. They couldn't even root for their own countryman? Shameful. The shouting in the middle of points in an attempt to distract Serena or Novak is pretty awful as well.
The Parisian crowd is far worse. Maybe you never really noticed but Federer and Nadal get rooted for everywhere they go. The french crowd will be evenly split when fed plays a frenchmen. Also who says you have to root for someone just because they're from your country? Nationalism really has no place in an individual sport like this. Do you think the crowd should have been rooting for Isner over Monfils in that USO 2013 match? Also maybe they didn't root for murray because he can be pretty unlikeable on court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMmbHUDraA&feature=youtu.be
In case you can't hear: "No one on the tour likes you. Everyone hates you"

Rosol had it coming...but that's not really a display of class? I've yet to see Federer, or even Novak do anything of the sort regardless of any gamesmanship being thrown their way. Every player has their less than stellar moments.

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire

Player doesn't =/= Fans. I'm sure i've seen far worse than you on the tennis forum I used to frequent. Novak fans have become obnoxious since 2011. Federer and Nadal fans still are. Not going to hold that against them. Have you seen Rafa sheep? Novak sheep? That hasn't stopped him from being my second favorite since Andy retired. All i wanted was a good match and came here to discuss it. Not see my favorite player bashed. There's a reason i quit that forum. Novak is just as arrogant lol. He and his family were declaring him the king of tennis after he beat fed in australia in 08...and he never made another final until the 2010 US. Didn't win another until 2011.
I don't know what kind of ridiculous place you frequented, but, just by a numbers game, the amount of Fed sheep outweigh any either sheep population. I'm anti-Fed, but whether Novak played or not, I'd still dislike Fed. I've disliked Fed since probably the second or third time I saw him play. I missed the win over Sampras, actually. If Fed had been a champion and been that guy, I think I perhaps could've come to like. I don't like the persona we see. Plenty of people don't like Rafa or Novak's persona, however.

No, but the Fed sheep are the worst there are. Are you saying that Fed fans haven't been obnoxious since the beginning? Me saying that he's a prat isn't very much in the scale of bashing.

If federer is humble then people would call it false humility. I don't really expect anything less than confidence from someone who broke/hold so many of the games records. When you don't like a player I guess it's impossible to be unbiased. Janowicz had an interview in 2013 where he called both Novak and Federer fake..so who can really say?
Yeah. Half the people listened to Jerzy's interview and half the people ignored it because it's Jerzy.

Fed isn't a saint. No player is, Rafa was being a brat just this year when he requested Carlos Bernades the chair ump to never umpire one of his matches again simply because he was enforcing the godamned rules of the ATP...that's some diva BS.
No, no player is a saint, but most Fed fans won't admit what you just admitted.

Yeah, that was a terrible moment by the ATP to listen to Rafa. Rafa was being a brat. I'd have called out any player who did that.

What's he supposed to do after the final gloat? Roddick was known for his Mcenroe esque tirades against chair umps, called out Novak on his BS injuries (which novak tried to retaliate with causing him to lose the crowd at the USO until next year). So he's no saint either lol. Fed gives credit sometimes and he also discredits his opponents. Every player does it. Until 2015 every time rafa lost a big match there was an excuse. Tired, Injured, My parents are fighting etc. Serena pretty much never gives credit. You've said you only follow big tournaments but i pretty much follow the tour the whole year, i have my reasons for feeling the way i do. Novaks parents were obnoxious, everyone knows this. I don't think fed was out of line. Mirka was, but if you can blame fed for what she said then you can blame novak for his parents.

What about Novak on twitter w/ Tipsaravic pointing a fake gun at novak asking "how much would rafa pay" when Novak was on a streak VS Rafa? is that classy?

Tispy took the picture down (naturally) but it's floating around.

Or how about novak telling the crowd to lick his d*** in Serbian because they were rooting for Dimitrov?

How about novaks press conference after being down 4-6,4-6 and then retiring against Nadal in 2006 FO and claiming "i had control of the match" Novak would not go on to beat Nadal on clay until 2011. Or at RG until 2015. Lol.

Fed's no Saint, and you don't have to like him, but don't paint other players in a different light when they're apparently birds of a feather.
Gloating and/or dancing around would've been better than that, and those are perfectly normal things we see after people win Slams. The faux comfort thing was offensive and Roddick called him out on the spot for it.

Well, it's more that I don't watch the clay season that much. I follow the rest of the year for the most part, unless I'm busy.

I'd blame Novak for his parents and I'd blame Fed for Mirka. The only difference is that Novak was never directly involved. I'd have an equal problem if Novak bitched at Fed's parents, for example.

No, the Tipsy gun thing wasn't classy at all, but I don't think any tennis player is really that classy. Some players have some aura they've built up that they're classy, though.

To be honest, I never expected that you would get super upset about me calling Fed a prat. I didn't paint Rafa or Novak in great lights. I simply pointed out numerous incidents showing that Fed isn't the saint that Fed sheep make him out to be.

This is personal bias...you enjoyed the imitations others thought they were inane and immature. There is a reason he stopped them.
Atobe, please, be real here. Everyone has personal biases. Well, mainly because I don't care for Sharapova and the imitations were more about her.

He stopped them because some people didn't like them. Some fans or tennis officials only want their lily-white perfect Wimbledon as what tennis should be everywhere. It's fair that people didn't like them and it was probably for the better that he stopped them.

The Parisian crowd is far worse. Maybe you never really noticed but Federer and Nadal get rooted for everywhere they go. The french crowd will be evenly split when fed plays a frenchmen. Also who says you have to root for someone just because they're from your country? Nationalism really has no place in an individual sport like this. Do you think the crowd should have been rooting for Isner over Monfils in that USO 2013 match? Also maybe they didn't root for murray because he can be pretty unlikeable on court. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMmbHUDraA&feature=youtu.be
In case you can't hear: "No one on the tour likes you. Everyone hates you"

Rosol had it coming...but that's not really a display of class? I've yet to see Federer, or even Novak do anything of the sort regardless of any gamesmanship being thrown their way. Every player has their less than stellar moments.
Eh, sure the Paris crowd is bad, but to me, the Wimbledon crowd is worse. It's just a difference of opinion. Oh, trust me, I've watched tennis for just as long as you have, Atobe, I know that they get rooted for everywhere. In some places, though, it's not as ridiculous to see, however.

No, but with Murray being the great British hero (even though he's Scottish when he loses or voted for independence)...Again, it'a s difference of opinion.

Well, I'd say that most tennis fans don't really enjoy big man tennis, so I'm fine with Americans rooting for Monfils over Inser. I root against Isner. Isner's never been an American hero or come anywhere close to the real business end of a Slam, let alone win one..

I couldn't hear what that said because it was inaudible. Oh, mind you, Murray's pretty bitter and fiery, but I just found it a little...wrong...that they didn't root for him.

Rafa used the rain to great success, but that's not something he can control. The only on-court gamesmanship stuff I can think of Novak doing is the retiring, but that only hurts him, not the opponent. Novak responded to a fan a while back who was heckling him after every point, though, and then the fan shut up. I can't really think of Fed snapping at anyone while he's playing, other than Novak's parents. I can't recall Fed doing any gamesmanship. Indeed, everyone makes mistakes.

I don't think anyone likes Rosol, so I kind of think Murray had a point, but you kind of shouldn't say that.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I don't know what kind of ridiculous place you frequented, but, just by a numbers game, the amount of Fed sheep outweigh any either sheep population. I'm anti-Fed, but whether Novak played or not, I'd still dislike Fed. I've disliked Fed since probably the second or third time I saw him play. I missed the win over Sampras, actually. If Fed had been a champion and been that guy, I think I perhaps could've come to like. I don't like the persona we see. Plenty of people don't like Rafa or Novak's persona, however.
A ridiculous place. Fed worshippers, Nadal worshippers, the recent novak worshippers, a tiny murray sect etc. But the place pretty much came down just one group of fanatics VS another and it just got annoying. You'd think there were only 4 players. I'm not anti anyone anymore. I've learned to separate a players game from their persona. I dislike Kyrgios attitude but I'd be lying if i say I didn't love that flare/flashy/fast paced game. I personally think his persona is pretty candid (federer). I actually think he's pretty up front...for better or worse.

No, but the Fed sheep are the worst there are. Are you saying that Fed fans haven't been obnoxious since the beginning? Me saying that he's a prat isn't very much in the scale of bashing.
I'm going to have to disagree. Fed fans are fed fans, but there's anti fed fans in the form of Nadal, Sampras fans upset that he's broken most of Petes records and are masquerading as Nadal fans, and Nadal fans/sampras fans currently acting as Novak fans.

Yeah. Half the people listened to Jerzy's interview and half the people ignored it because it's Jerzy.
I personally think Janowicz is full of it but....he's the one tour with these players.

No, no player is a saint, but most Fed fans won't admit what you just admitted.
Yeah there are some nutty ones. I know all about some of silly things he does (the racket smash against novak in miami followed by tossing the water bottles like a child, cursing at the ump during the del po match). I don't think he's like jesus or anything.

Gloating and/or dancing around would've been better than that, and those are perfectly normal things we see after people win Slams. The faux comfort thing was offensive and Roddick called him out on the spot for it.
I don't think it was offensive. I think he was being honest? iirc he told Andy he knows how it feels to lose a tough one there...which he did just last year. I think people looked way into that too much.

No, the Tipsy gun thing wasn't classy at all, but I don't think any tennis player is really that classy. Some players have some aura they've built up that they're classy, though.
I wouldn't say an aura...the world number 1 is supposed to be ambassador so the ATP wants to build them up to be this nice friendly guy. Fed/Rafa/Novak have all adopted this persona as they climbed to the top. It's why people think they're fake. I can't remember why he said it but Murray pretty much admitted he doesn't say what he thinks because he wants to focus on playing, not a media scandal for saying the wrong thing.

To be honest, I never expected that you would get super upset about me calling Fed a prat. I didn't paint Rafa or Novak in great lights. I simply pointed out numerous incidents showing that Fed isn't the saint that Fed sheep make him out to be.
A prat, afaik, is an incompetent, foolish person. I don't think that describes any successful player on the tour.....Gulbis? He's a prat....Tomic? especially recently? He's a prat. I only brought up those examples to illustrate that every top player has a "rap sheet" so i found it odd that you'd bring up fed while supporting Novakl or serena in the past.

Eh, sure the Paris crowd is bad, but to me, the Wimbledon crowd is worse. It's just a difference of opinion. Oh, trust me, I've watched tennis for just as long as you have, Atobe, I know that they get rooted for everywhere. In some places, though, it's not as ridiculous to see, however.
I think the paris crowd is worse because they never appreciated what Nadal had done there for years. I think both are obnoxious however.

No, but with Murray being the great British hero (even though he's Scottish when he loses or voted for independence)...Again, it'a s difference of opinion.
While i don't think Federer would ever get rooted against in Basel...i don't think the british actually like Murray all that much. He gets so much media scrutiny over there it's not even funny.

Well, I'd say that most tennis fans don't really enjoy big man tennis, so I'm fine with Americans rooting for Monfils over Inser. I root against Isner. Isner's never been an American hero or come anywhere close to the real business end of a Slam, let alone win one..
I like Cilic....Del Po when he's healthy etc. Isner is just a special brand of boring to me. That aside Isner was very upset that the crowd didn't root for him because he was American...i thought that was a very entitled thing to say (something Americans are stereotyped as being). And the one thing i learned about the NY crowd is that they always want more tennis.

Rafa used the rain to great success, but that's not something he can control. The only on-court gamesmanship stuff I can think of Novak doing is the retiring, but that only hurts him, not the opponent. Novak responded to a fan a while back who was heckling him after every point, though, and then the fan shut up. I can't really think of Fed snapping at anyone while he's playing, other than Novak's parents. I can't recall Fed doing any gamesmanship. Indeed, everyone makes mistakes.
I meant response to gamesmanship against them. The top guys generally play it pretty cool and don't let it get under their skin. I brought up the Murray thing because i can't recall a lot of blatant exchanges like that.

Basically the tl;dr is i've seen a lot of assholish behaviour in my years watching tennis. And I definitely wouldn't but Fed in the upper echelons of poorly behaved players (kyrgios and tomic are quickly outpacing everyone in terms of controversial statements). It's fine not to like him i suppose but it's just weird to me when those reasons are applicable to a lot of other players.

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Federer beats Andy Murray and Djokovic on his way to a 7th Cincinnati masters title. Good going, old man.

I guess Djoko will still be the favourite going into the US Open though.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Didn't expect to hear that at all. I agree good going Federer's part. ^^

FrostyMouse

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire