Year Round The Tennis Thread

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Nadal won his 5th Rome Masters in 06 years, impressive. Glad to see him winning few titles before he goes to Roland Garros. So far Clay is looking good for him. He should win RG this year again.

Henin wins 1st title in return from retirement. She made few finals but lost. This title will certainly give her confidence and try to win her favorite title on her favorute surface=> Roland Garros.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Nadal has now won the most Masters titles; 17. One ahead of Federer and Agassi. In 5 years he has won 17 masters, whereas Agassi took 14 years to win 16. Scary...
 

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
2,513
Reaction score
325
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Tennis Thread

he's tied with agassi for 17
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: The Tennis Thread

Nadal brought a complete new way of playing compared to how Agassi played his game. The aggressive top spin play with the counter-punches from a lefty isn't a play that is easy to adapt to as an opponent. Especially not on clay.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Agreed. Nadal has certainly improved his backhand a lot. It used to be a defensive shot but now he can earn some winner from that wing as well.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: The Tennis Thread

Yeah, his backhand is way better than before. Before he could be pushed towards backhand because he can't hit as hard, and then have him cornered. Now he's just brilliantly playing both hands.
He's also improved his run shot a lot.

Does anyone of you guys know, or have an idea of who could be the "next nadal"?
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

I personally don't think Nadal will have a long career because of his physique and the way he continuously pushes his body. As to a successor, I don't know. I don't think we'll have anyone who plays like him for a few years yet.

Did anyone read what Ernest Gulbis said about Nadal after his defeat to him in Rome(i think?) He said that he was going into the match hoping for something special from Nadal but it turns out there was nothing outstanding or impressive from him. If anyone can find the article please link, I can't remember where I read it from for the life of me.
I personally found it to be quite distasteful...
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Yeah, his backhand is way better than before. Before he could be pushed towards backhand because he can't hit as hard, and then have him cornered. Now he's just brilliantly playing both hands.
He's also improved his run shot a lot.

Does anyone of you guys know, or have an idea of who could be the "next nadal"?
I also try to look into upcoming players. No Nadal in making as far as I know. People like Nadal and Federer comes once in a century.

I personally don't think Nadal will have a long career because of his physique and the way he continuously pushes his body. As to a successor, I don't know. I don't think we'll have anyone who plays like him for a few years yet.

Did anyone read what Ernest Gulbis said about Nadal after his defeat to him in Rome(i think?) He said that he was going into the match hoping for something special from Nadal but it turns out there was nothing outstanding or impressive from him. If anyone can find the article please link, I can't remember where I read it from for the life of me.
I personally found it to be quite distasteful...
I tried to find the news you said but I failed. Though, in some interviews he was not so appreciative about Nadal. Saying things like Nadal couldn't do much about his game. Duh, Nadal won, didn't he. Anyways, its very un-sportsman not to acknowledge someone like Nadal. Nadal, on the other hand, always appreciate his opponents. You wont hear him saying, "Oh I lost because I was playing bad". He'd give the credit to his opponents. Something Sampras was so good at.
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: The Tennis Thread

at a certain point nadal actually ruled recently he is actually down .

as for federer this guy is a legend , he has that unique style and freedom in playing .
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Nadal won 18th Masters Series title, surpassing Andre Agassi. The chance of winning another French Open is looking good for Nadal, given he stays fit and injury-free.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: The Tennis Thread

I have my money on Djokovic. Even though he hasn't gone all the way or played nearly as good as he usually does, I think he's got more potential than he's shown and that he will be a really tricky opponent for Nadal, given that they both will meet. It feels like he's been saving up for the French Open... We'll see this weekend how it starts
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

I would love him to go back to his former self. He has a complete all around game. The year before the last one, he was the only one giving Nadal any resistance.

Nadal will be back to No. 2. We wont see him or Federer colliding, not before a final. Given, they both make it.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

You can count on Federer to at least reach the semis, and I'm guessing the final too. My money is on Nadal after he won the last Masters, I can't believe he's beaten Federer 13 out of 20 times O_O astonishing.
 

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
2,513
Reaction score
325
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Tennis Thread

Not really, most have them have been on clay, Nadal is a bad matchup for Fed and Fed exposed the power of the dropshot...Nadal is like the greatest claycourter of all time the fact Fed has kept it close is astonishing.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

While most of his victories are on Clay, Nadal has beaten him on Hard surface of Australia and Grass of Wimbledon. Nadal has certainly improved on other surfaces as well. If we get more Nadal vs. Federer on surfaces other than Clay, I am sure Nadal can beat him. But I expect all these matches to be evenly contested. Perhaps, decided on the day who plays well.
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: The Tennis Thread

soderling vs nadal is going to be good im looking forward to it .
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: The Tennis Thread

Yeah, indeed, Soderling had a great year last year and I really hope he can push himself as much as he did last. His first serve and deep forehand are deadly, Federer is deffo a fav, but he will have to fight for every game.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Somewhat Tennis related, have you guys seen Gypsy - Shakira. Nadal was in the song and the song is steamy hot. Nadal looked good in it.
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: The Tennis Thread

^ thats why i hated his guts
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Hmm cool music video, didn't picture Nadal as that kinda guy that does guest appearances in videos.
 
Top