Year Round The Tennis Thread

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Exactly!!! I thought he woulda at least taken Nadal to 4-5 sets, but looks like Nadal reigns supreme again :). Congrats to him. 2nd time he's won French Open without dropping a set O_O
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: The Tennis Thread

Shame Sod, but you'll win Wimbledon, no worries *har har*

Yes guys, Sod didn't play his best game, but Nadal sure did. Best serves this tournament and his agility made Sod look like a snail. Though, Sod had a much tougher opponent than Nadal in the semis.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Off course Soderling couldn't play his best game. He is a big guy and had a 5 sets semi-final match. It must have taken out a bit from him, physically. Still, even if he had shorter matches prior to Final. I dont think he would have taken the match to more than 4 sets.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Some of the rallies in this match were epic, I mean the shots Nadal was picking up from the net was awesome and Sod really could hit the ball. Nadal had to keep returning the ball at a really good length so as to not give Soderling time to play his game, which was really hard and he did brilliantly.
 

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 23, 2007
Messages
2,513
Reaction score
325
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The Tennis Thread

Shame Sod, but you'll win Wimbledon, no worries *har har*

Yes guys, Sod didn't play his best game, but Nadal sure did. Best serves this tournament and his agility made Sod look like a snail. Though, Sod had a much tougher opponent than Nadal in the semis.
Sod had Fed and inform Berd back to back....Nadal had....Almagro his whipping boy...and tired Melzer....

But the result wouldn't have been any different tbqh.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: The Tennis Thread

The winner wouldn't differ but the results would. Anyway, Wimbledon next, some weeks of rehab and then we're ready to go!
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Yeah I cant wait for Wimbledon season!! I'm expecting big thing from Andy Murray; seeing as he go really close last year.
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: The Tennis Thread

andy murray really had a hard time during french , though i was expecting more from him .
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Well they all(except for Nadal) really didn't have it easy and sometimes struggled to win. Murray should have lost in the 1st round if Gasquet had been a smarter player; he threw away a 2 set lead.

Queens started today, the top seeds are in action tomorrow and Wednesday.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

I have never imagined that I would read this when I check sports news, "Hewitt upsets Federer, wins Wimbledon warmup". I didn't see the match but it was shocker for me. Grass is Federer's favorite surface and he lost to Hewitt. This does not go well for both Federer and Nadal, losing on Grass before Wimbledon.
 
Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

I can't believe Federer lost to Hewitt, I would have quite comfortably bet my house on that match for Fed to win, good thing I didn't. I didn't quite expect an all-american queens final though and thought Mardy Fish would win since he had the tougher run thorugh the tournament but congrats to Sam Querry.

Now roll on Wimbledon!!!
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: The Tennis Thread

i dont want to judge any one but federer is getting a little too comfortable in his games , i mean he keeps offering stupid points , and that isnt good .
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

Is it me or has he lost a bit of that "edge" about his game that made players fear him? maybe it's age or something.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: The Tennis Thread

I talk from experience now...it's really hard to maintain the same playing level in tennis...UR movements change(physical condition, age, mental state)therefore UR play suffers...Federer always had problems with his backhand, but the rest if his moves are customized as well(I mean he employs a a different hitting approach for each ball)...but his backhand suffers from this the most...so after some time these moves get deformed even more...so that's why Fed is slowly losing his edge
I know Federer since the first Master Series tournament, and from then he changed his style through the years...
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Rafael Nadal won his second Wimbledon title with a victory over Tomas Berdych. I imagined it would be a tough match. Berdych, had the game to beat him. But Nadal was brilliant. He has improved so much on Grass. The commentators, one was Vijay Amritraj and the second I cant recall, were talking about how never before in Tennis history (men and women) a player is so favored to win both at Roland Garos and Wimbledon. Not even Bjorn Borg, Sampras or anyone else was so favored, on surfaces that are so contradicting to each other. The level of Tennis was brilliant over the course of the tournament.
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Re: The Tennis Thread

Nadal really improved very well on grass his movements were smooth , he had no trouble winning over Berdych .
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: The Tennis Thread

The Men's game is realy opening up with the breakthrough players such as Berdych from a few years ago starting to show some consistancy in their perfomances.

Congrats to Nadal and Serena as well for winning her 4th Wimbledon and 13th Grand Slam putting her 6th on the all time list. I hope she gets close to Stefie Graf's 24 before she retires. Realistically she could win another 5 imo.
 

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2008
Messages
11,706
Reaction score
5,872
Gender
Male
Country
Pakistan
Re: The Tennis Thread

The game has definitely opening up as compared to few years ago. Nadal was first one to come and trouble Federer. Then we see players like Djokovic, Del Potro and Murray showing up on men tennis. Personally, I like to see competitions as it was in days of Sampras. Agassi, Rafter, Tod Martin, Rios, Kuerten, Jim, etc...The competition however was mediocre over last few years. Players like Hewitt and Roddick were there but they lacked in some departments. For example, Hewitt had defensive game and not aggressive. Andy had huge serve and forehand but his backhand and volley were mediocre at best.

Berdych never delivered as he was expected to deliver few years back. He had all the weapons, big serve, huge forehand and backhand, and he can volley as well. I hope the final was just a stepping stone for his future progress.
 

steelwingcrash1

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
554
Reaction score
111
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: The Tennis Thread

I really do not like Federer's playful demeanor in most of his matches. It's kind of like acting cocky in front of your opponents.

I really prefer the serious players such as Nadal and Djokovic.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Re: The Tennis Thread

I really do not like Federer's playful demeanor in most of his matches. It's kind of like acting cocky in front of your opponents.

I really prefer the serious players such as Nadal and Djokovic.
Playful demeanor...I think most people would call that style and grace...because he is always very calm and his play style allows him to transmit the feeling that he is hardly hitting the ball, unlike aggressive players like Nadal...
 
Top