The top 3 thread. Topic: Top 3 plotpoints you would like to see more of

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
This thread is about any top 3 lists with the topic of it ever changing.
A new topic can be brought in by anyone and i will change the topic every week or so to keep things fresh (including this opening post).
I choose to only make top three lists so we don't get ultralong lists without explanations but people actually think about what they want to pick.


The topic at the moment is: Tell us the 3 plotpoints you would want to be developed further.
This can be something that you think was not fleshed out thouroughly enough (for example the creation of greed island. We only know it is there, not really how in the world they are able to make spells that can heal people who are on the brink of death), things you are thrilled about in the future (like the dark continent or something specific on it in general) or even something you just want to see even more of (like heaven's arena, we still didn't see the top of it).
Another possible pick would be about something you feel was not explained well enough and you'd like further explanation, like hisoka's 'death' or kite's resurrection.

My picks are (in no order)

1) Hunter exams:
Now, i know it is not going to happen because Togashi will not waste his time with that, but i would probably read a manga that is just about arbitrary characters trying to get through tests with some of them failing and some winning.
I was sad that Killuah just curbstomped the opposition in the second exam he took (even if it makes a lot of sense from a narrative standpoint, it would have been plainly bad writing to flesh out the exam more).
I would love a spinoff of HxH where we see how ging, netero or biscuit took their respective exams.
It is something i just cannot get enough of, even if i know we will never see another exam arc.

2) The Calamities:
The calamities are, for me, the biggest thrill about the DC.
These threats break out of the usual powerlevel approach we got used to in HxH (even Meruem fell into it in some shape or form. It was, after all, shonen characters doing battle, just with one of them being vastly stronger than the rest).
The calamities feel like something we have just not seen before in HxH: They are a threat so big that even Meruem is classed below them, but they don't seem to have personality and they don't look like they are up for nen battles.
They are a faceless, natural threat and as such much more thrilling than any given supervillain, no matter how fun he is.

3) The History of the hunter association:

We know surprisingly little about the association and only really came into some understanding of it since the election arc.
There are some things that i find do not make sense: For example, it is said that 100 blacklist hunters came to the zoldyek mansion and silva executed them.
But if things like that seem to occur often enough (see Hisoka pwning lots of blacklist hunters, too), then in an association with under 1000 people, there won't be many left at some point.

From what we see, there are only very few people in exams who pass. 9 was already a big number in the exam arc and often noone passes, so we can assume that it is maximum 5 people per year on average.
With that number, it is hard to imagine that there are less than 5 hunter's dying per year when we see that a lot of them are too weak to even team up in waves against people like Hisoka or Illumi.

There are possible explanations to that, like the exam getting only that strict under netero because netero didn't want fodder and thus the number of the new hunter's dying got much lower.
Another explanation would be that most hunters do not do terribly dangerous work, but are rather focussing on science and exploration.

But it never got clarified and i am looking forward to see how the organization works under cheadle.





So what are your picks?
 
Last edited:

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
It would have been much better if Kaito was not reborn. Not only it didn't make any sense at all (and dangerously shakes the balance of the nen system), but it also killed the lesson of life Gon should've learned, which is that "no matter how much you deny it and struggle against it, what's lost is lost...the only thing to do is to accept it and move forward"...

In fact, with Kaito still dead, when Gon meets Ging in the election hall their conversation will be almost the same as it is originally, with the addition to "accept facts as they are and work hard to avoid the same mistake"...Overall Gon would become more mature than he did in th original scenario.
 
Last edited:

AntArt

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 15, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
OK. I want to say it's difficult to find things I dislike about the manga. Probably changing the story would end up being worse but well..

1) I didn't like the transition between the Greed Island arc and the Quimera Ant arc. I mean the reason Ging didn't want to meet Gon was just because he was with a friend? Why did he send them to Kite? I don't know it didn't make much sense to me. The thing is I can't think of a better transition so I just wanted to say I didn't like that one lol.

2) I don't like the whole Aluka healing Gon thing. It feels to me that there was not enough sacrifice to accomplish that. I know this isn't FMA but it was a very deus ex machina solution. I didn't want Gon to die obviously but I don`t know probably if there was some backfire with doing that it would feel less shitty. I hope that this is continued and explained better in the future.

3) I also would like Kite not to have resurrected. I like Kite but I can't understand how would that happen. He's got a Nen power with which he can come back to life, but why there? as an ant? why did the Queen gave birth again after spending every bit of energy to give birth to the king? Also he wasn't in a cocoon like the rest of the soldier ants, he was inside the Queen like the King.
.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,716
Reaction score
61,437
Gender
Male
Country
France
The way Killua's trauma has been solved. It's not like I really dislike it, but the fact that it has been solved simply by removing a needle disappointing me a little. Considering his upbringing, these reactions made sense IMO.
 

duerlin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
1) Kaito resurrection. Death should not be cheap. And the burden of his death would good for Gon's character development.

2) Hisoka resurrection (and fight with Chrollo). Hisoka fight against Chrollo was completely unnecessary and could be saved for a bigger plot with Kurapika.

3) Nothing more atm, but for sure something related to Gon in the following arcs.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
So, i see, people don't like ressurections :p

Personally, i feel like togashi did lots of those ressurections on purpose at that point.
We had kite, hisoka and semi gon (with alluka).
2 of these 3 (probably) were in relation to things from the dark continent.
It is not clear exactly HOW kite resurrected (whether the queen got part of his brain after all or it was all his ability), but it is clear that it would not have happened without the chimera ants being arround.
And technically, hisoka was not completely dead for more than a very short time when CPR still works.
I think this is done to show us that human life is not actually worth a lot in relation to the things on the DC and that life and death have a very different value over there.
I don't think togashi included the herb for a very long life and don freeks being age old for nothing.

I mean, Kite's resurrection came after the whole CA ant without any real need to do it. Togashi didnt write himself into a corner, he coulda gone any other way.
And kite was not popular enough to really force togashi to resurrect him (after all, the fans who still read would accept it by then).
There is a theory about togashi simply forgetting that pitou used his corpse, but i don't think so. I mean, he drew corpsekite AFTER the inclusion of the king's brother/sister. I don't think he'd make a mistake like that.
Either the Queen only ate his brain and then repaired the head again, or he wants it to stay hidden for now what kites ability actually is.
It might be the reason after all for his heavy limitation on his ability. The individual weapons were not that strong and even had limitations on them too (like the scythe).
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
No matter how (or why) it happened, Kaito's resurrection came against one of the most important principles of the manga : consistency and similarity to real life. I mean, in a manga where all the power systems are carefully designed and death of the characters feels real and threatning, resurrecting somebody just like that "because it's his ability" is really against all those established principles (not to mention how it affected the seriousness of the aftermatch of the CA arc).

Also I don't see why it should've been an emphasis of the DC's powers, as Nanika was enough for that.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
No matter how (or why) it happened, Kaito's resurrection came against one of the most important principles of the manga : consistency and similarity to real life. I mean, in a manga where all the power systems are carefully designed and death of the characters feels real and threatning, resurrecting somebody just like that "because it's his ability" is really against all those established principles (not to mention how it affected the seriousness of the aftermatch of the CA arc).

Also I don't see why it should've been an emphasis of the DC's powers, as Nanika was enough for that.
Was she?
I mean, i would agree if kite's power alone would have been enough to resurrect him without a HUGE drawback (resurrecting yourself could probably be explained by the restriction to not have any hatsu and just be able to use basic nenpowers as restriction while being a specialist or something).
However, if we really want to express: 'Any natural order of abilities gets just blown out of the window on the DC', then it makes sense to me.
And i think togashi might have wanted to do that. Hence why at first he had biscuit hold a speech about 'nothing is certain in nenbattles', then show that there are creatures who are more powerful in any shape or form then humans, then show that even that means nothing compared to the power of science.

Also, the CA arc was a lot about second chances.I mean, if all other characters can be revived through the queen and get their personality back, so can kite if his brain got eaten (or whatever his ability does).
I feel like there were several ties of kite's resurrection to new themes in the manga.
It would even make a lot of sense that pitou gave such a rare 'candy's' brain to the queen.
I also think that antkite may not actually completely be kite. Because in that case, why was he still that childish when he was small? He knew he was kite by that time, but he swung arround stuff like a kid.

In any case, i agree that it would bother me if after kite and hisoka, more characters just resurrect after they had a fitting deathscene.
But i don't see it coming, because we had major deaths since then.
We had Netero, Gotoh, Kortopi and Shalnark.
So, personally, i can accept kite's death as part of the narrative.
I can accept that pitou gave his brain or parts of it to the queen because it makes a lot of sense to me, and he repairing him for fun is not out of character.
And the narrative was quite a lot about resurrection and rebirth.

Also i don't think gon has really learned a lesson either way.
He gave up his life for revenge. And i think the lesson he learned is that he has to live with that now, this consequence of his action.
I do not think gon regrets it a lot. He only regrets having been mean to killuah.
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Was she?
I mean, i would agree if kite's power alone would have been enough to resurrect him without a HUGE drawback (resurrecting yourself could probably be explained by the restriction to not have any hatsu and just be able to use basic nenpowers as restriction while being a specialist or something).
However, if we really want to express: 'Any natural order of abilities gets just blown out of the window on the DC', then it makes sense to me.
And i think togashi might have wanted to do that. Hence why at first he had biscuit hold a speech about 'nothing is certain in nenbattles', then show that there are creatures who are more powerful in any shape or form then humans, then show that even that means nothing compared to the power of science.

Also, the CA arc was a lot about second chances.I mean, if all other characters can be revived through the queen and get their personality back, so can kite if his brain got eaten (or whatever his ability does).
I feel like there were several ties of kite's resurrection to new themes in the manga.
It would even make a lot of sense that pitou gave such a rare 'candy's' brain to the queen.
I also think that antkite may not actually completely be kite. Because in that case, why was he still that childish when he was small? He knew he was kite by that time, but he swung arround stuff like a kid.

In any case, i agree that it would bother me if after kite and hisoka, more characters just resurrect after they had a fitting deathscene.
But i don't see it coming, because we had major deaths since then.
We had Netero, Gotoh, Kortopi and Shalnark.
So, personally, i can accept kite's death as part of the narrative.
I can accept that pitou gave his brain or parts of it to the queen because it makes a lot of sense to me, and he repairing him for fun is not out of character.
And the narrative was quite a lot about resurrection and rebirth.

Also i don't think gon has really learned a lesson either way.
He gave up his life for revenge. And i think the lesson he learned is that he has to live with that now, this consequence of his action.
I do not think gon regrets it a lot. He only regrets having been mean to killuah.
Thing is, the very idea of a character resurrecting after being dead is what bothers me, especially in a manga like hxh. Leaving Hisoka aside (as his case was not clarified so we can still argue that he just "clinically" died), Kite's resurrection is shrouded in inconsistencies. Of course if his brain was eaten by the queen then it could make sense, however that's very unlikely since Togashi tells us through Ging that Kite used his ability to come back to life, which is very confusing.

I think as smart as he is, Gon's should've learned how to deal with accepting and correcting mistakes he committed, since his giving up on life for revenge was just an overboard and exagerated running away from the bitterness of reality. If Kite was still dead, then IMO this lesson would've been more apparent.

Finally I really hope Togashi did not do this resurection for narrative purposes, as that would be a red alarm for me since I do not want this manga to turn into a cheap occult BS where death is smthg cheap...Even in the DC ! (I mean for now nothing from the DC has been stated able to revive a person, even Nanika. So let's hope Togashi doesn't cross that dangerous line). So basically this is what I have wished happened differently in the manga :) Also Hisoka's resurrection if future chapters confirm that he did completely cheat death.
 
Last edited:

duerlin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
In case of Hisoka's fight with Chrollo I would have:
- made the narrative of the fight less complicated, following the number of abilities, hands and pages Chrollo was using was hard.
- made Hisoka flee from the battle heavily wounded. Maybe using his texture ability on another body to fake his death (paying a heavy price for the perfect and extreme use of this ability)
- made it take place a few months before the departure to the DC.
- still made Hisoka kill Ryodan members discreetly without giving out it was his doing
- gathered Hisoka, Chrollo, the remaining members from Genei Ryodan and Kurapika in the ships travelling to the DC for a good final battle royale. I would have made the Ryodan body guards of a prince or two so they could even face Kurapika without Kurapika being allowed to kill them in the open.
 

Kouichi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2016
Messages
449
Reaction score
951
Country
Estonia
My list would be.

1) I wish Killua did NOT pass the Hunter Exam just because he just BLITZ all the participants. I find the Hunters' Exam underwhelming than before - it was thrilling unlike now. And the 4th part of exam should have been set on the island or open field. Not in close field.
2) I prefer PostRose!Mereum retain to his preRose self and punished the Royal Guards for keeping a secret especially the blonde one. That guy is annoying tbh. -_____-
3) Alluka's. It was explained above.
 

NiNtEnDoFaN

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 26, 2016
Messages
32
Reaction score
72
Country
United States
My list consists of the following:

1. Alluka/Nanika healing Gon at the end of the Chairman Election Arc was unnecessary for me. I think it should have taken much longer for Killua to evade his family and get Alluka to the hospital. I feel like his family is much more resourceful and ruthless than the arc let on. I also just don't like the amount of power Alluka has. It's too damn convenient for plot purposes, and the story feels weaker as a result.

2. Hisoka vs. Chrollo's battle was horribly misplaced for me. This really felt like Togashi thinking about what chapters would have the most impact before he went on another hiatus. I loved it, but I thought it could have happened earlier, like right before the Dark Continent stuff began. I feel like people significantly discount how much sales matter to WSJ editors and higher-ups (and to a lesser extent the mangaka).

3. Moving from the Greed Island arc to the Chimera Ant arc instead of focusing on Leorio in some other arc. Right now, Kurapika is way more involved in the current arc than Leorio. He's an awesome character, but gets little screen time. It's a little ridiculous at this point, and I hope the Dark Continent arc does something to alleviate this issue. I think it became really annoying when Ging used Leorio's technique. Yes, it highlighted Leorio's potential, but why couldn't Togashi just have Leorio showcase that potential at some point before the Chimera Ant arc? As you can see, I love Leorio. ^_^
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Here is my second suggestion for a change :

I think the concept of In as a higher level application of Zetsu is very misleading and confusing. In is used to hide actual aura, however Zetsu completely stops the aura from coming out of the body, hence their base concepts are clearly different. The two principles only agree in the fact that they hide something (In hides existing aura, Zetsu hides presence). I think In should've been introduced as an independent technique like Ryu.

Edit : I would like to correct a stupid thing I'm saying : Ryu is not an independent technique as it is just the usage of Gyo to regulate the concentration of aura in multiple parts of the body while using Ken.
Therefore In should have been introduced as the fifth Nen principle.

 
Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
some things i thought about:

I would probably want to have gon and kill be older.
I get why it makes sense to have kids be protags in a shonen, but making them 16 would imo still let them act the complete same way but it would make more sense that they can destroy actual adults with their strength (even in universe i found it a bit funny to have gon, who never had martial arts train before and who is 12 years old, be at the powerlevel he was.).
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,888
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
Ging's explanation for Kite's reincarnation as a human/ant hybrid; Kite was never eaten & the explanation is just ridiculous & silly...

Hisoka's obvious plot induced survival, plot induced stupidity of reviving through delayed Bungee CPR; The whole thing should have been handled much better. Can't suspend my belief that Hisoka didn't get blown to smithereens & his gamble on his nen Juss so happens to pay off.

The death of Shalnarak; Its out of place for his Character to obviously see that; Zombie Hisoka/Hisoka is holding kurotopi's head so Kurotopi is obviously gone. Why cradle his head to be blind sided seconds later...Shalanark was a calm decisive evil dude, ready to risk the boss life in order to find the chain user....I really didn't like this death at all way too sudden & unlikey of the Charcter.

Better Art during the Chimera Ant arc.........Hiatus X Hiatus.........Only HxH can you still follow the story after a year or more break, & the only manga that Juss sits in the back of your mind until it comes back
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
We got a new topic :)
 

uberfayt

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
1,277
Reaction score
6,080
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Nice choice of topic Shionoro ^^...Ok here I go :

  1. Leorio. It's obvious he's not as popular as the other 3 main characters. Whether it is because he doesn't get enough screentime or because his motivations and/or origins are not as deep rooted as Gon's, Killua or Kurapika, the fact is that Leorio remains in the shadows of his three friends and looks plain and normal in comparison. However does this mean that he is weak or uninteresting, absolutely not ! In fact I could say that's exactlly the source of his appeal, that he can hold his own and keep up with his prodigy friends without having any special features, plus he seems the most humain out of the four thanks to his warm personality and everyday life skills. Moreover, many hunters such as Ging and Hisoka do recognize Leorio's latent potential, and strengthwise he exceeded Gon and Kurapika during the Zoldick family arc, as he opened 2 of the gates of trials. Sadly we do not see his nen developement, which IMO is the main reason why the character feels underated. Hope this gets fixed in the DC arc.
  2. Knov. Obviously because of his mental breakdown, many people think he is weak and not in the league of veteran hunters as he claimed to be. Thing is, the very fact that he infiltrated the castle filled with those monsters while facing the unknown, then actually succeeded in his mission while supressing his fears and returned back is in itself something remarkable which deserves the highest of praises. Very few would dare to accomplish this and actually succeed in it. Moreover, even with his breakdown, he still managed to control his nen and use his ability, this is by far no small feat. Knov should be considered as one of the heros of the chimera arc raiders, together with Morel.
  3. Can't think of someone now ^^.
 
Last edited:

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Those were picks which i thought about too!

Leorio is severely underrated.
He had no insane training from hell like killuah, no scarlet eyes and no special genes or a father leaving him some game to train him.

Leorio just did it to become a doctor due to a friend who passed away.
That is all there is to his backstory. And he did it.

And he did it while staying true to himself.
We saw Killuah kill people for bumping into him.
We saw gon going super gon and leaving killuah behind.
We saw kurapika leaving gon behind and not answering the calls.
The only one who didnt lose his way ethically is leorio, who was always there for his friends even if they are much stronger than him.
He still never asked for help but always provided it.

Leorio is that one guy in the hunter's association who is just completely compassionate to the people he likes.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,716
Reaction score
61,437
Gender
Male
Country
France
I agree with Leorio and Knov. Knov especially is seen as a loser despite his achievements.

Third one is Pouf. Not only is his strength underestimated, but his haters mostly describe him as a jealous servant. While it's true that he was jealous of Komugi, what he did was still in line with his role of servant. He is the only RG who showed more than loyalty to Meruem because of human emotions( in the end he ended up dreaming of his own kingdom). I find his development fascinating.
 

duerlin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I would say the 10 remaining Zodiacs, because they look like babies in comparison to Ging and Parison. But I think the whole Hunter Association (except Ging, Netero and Parison) is made of pushovers, like if the real great Nen users didn't care to take part in it.
But those 10 at least should be able to reach the same results as Kurapika in the selection to the DC voyage.
 
Last edited:
Top