Theory on Bartholomew Kuma

Tenhou

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hello everybody. My name is Kelvin, and I would like to share with you a theory that I've had for a while about Bartholomew Kuma. I've searched around, and I didn't find any similar theories, but I'm sorry if you've posted it before.

You can find a copy of this theory on my Tumblr.

I've had this hunch for a long time. It just came to me one day; I don't know if this has been posted before, and I hope no one steals this:


When English words are introduced to the Japanese language, they can become corrupted when they are shortened or mispronounced.
For example in English, the acronym VIP has each letter in the acronym pronounced (vee-ai-pee), but in Japanese it is pronounced as it looks: vip (as in it rhymes with the word tip).

Now on to my theory-

Consider this about Bartholomew Kuma:

1. He carries around a book entitled Bible
2. He pushed the StrawHats to seemingly non-random locations in a deliberate manner.

No consider these facts:

1. The word Bible can be read in Japanese as biburu (like bee-boo-roo).
2. The One Piece term Vivre Card is read in Japanese as ビブルカード or biburukādo

I believe that the book that Bartholomew Kuma carries around is an index of Vivre Cards of important and significant people. Notice that when he asks people where they would like to go, he is flipping through his Bible. When looking through it, he is confirming a target person's location so he can send the individual in front of him to that location with a certain degree of accuracy.


That's just my stupid theory. I think it'd be pretty fun if I was right.
 
Last edited:

undertoe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2010
Messages
309
Reaction score
116
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Umm al-Qaiwan
In Japanese, Bible would be "Baiburu," not "Biburu."
 

JA1024

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 13, 2010
Messages
27
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Couldn't it be that Kuma is just a religious guy?

I dont see anything wrong if that's the case.
 

Tenhou

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In Japanese, Bible would be "Baiburu," not "Biburu."
yes of course, but like I said, foreign words introduced into Japanese often get corrupted and are not pronounced the way they are in the original language.
 

Skyrius

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
229
Reaction score
113
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Psh, I've heard wilder theories so there's nothing wrong with this one XD

I don't know if his bible would really be full of Vivre cards, but it would be neat if it did play some sort of important role, either in his DF powers of just for his character in general.
 

Kaiser Will

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
1,295
Reaction score
456
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Moderator Notice:
Moved. ~ Regarding this read One Piece Revamp Info/Guide Thread please. Remember character discussion should be made in the TOK Forum from now on.~ Kaiser Will
 

tret16

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 21, 2010
Messages
467
Reaction score
87
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
actually i believe that bible pronounce in japanese would be "Biburu". but i only know how to pronounce that words not translate them. so i could be wrong but i'm more inclined to agree with Tenhou's version...
 

Poneglyph420

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
1,317
Reaction score
597
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Seisho is actually how you translate Bible in Japanese, but Baiburu would be the most accurate in Katakana. But regardless the Bible Kuma carries could be a whole bunch of things.. Until it's confirmed I'm hoping that it's some tie to his past (The RA) and perhaps a device to help him keep self control. Hmm Tenhou has a clever theory here anyways.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Couldn't it be that Kuma is just a religious guy?

I dont see anything wrong if that's the case.
Well, I don't think see, since he doesn't displayed nowhere such an characteristic.

He was seen writing on his bible before sending Perona flying, so he likely keep note of the locations there. He also was using the bible it when he sent the Strawhats away, which he didn't when he fought the Strawhats in Thrilliar Bark and confronted Ivankov (while he was still using it while standing along with the other Shichibukai).
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Wouldn't that be a bit dangerous for the revolutionaries? I mean...He sent Sanji directly to Ivankov. World Government also could have use it for their purpose, more after His personality being washed up.
 

Baka_Sousui

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
136
Reaction score
34
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
The book could be written in words only he'd understand. Once his mind is wiped out he won't have the memories to decipher it, so the list should be safe. That's my thoughts on the theory.
 

Cyber34

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
241
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If his book is loaded with those cards then him showing up in front of Shaki probably means trouble for her. She has Rayleigh's card which is supposed to be used to guide all the other Strawhats to Saboady Archpelago. Once the time skip is over he may very well end up being the crews first opponent. Really though, I just think that he is carrying a regular bible, which explains why he was fighting Ivankov.
 

scyter

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
63
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Alderney
Kuma's bible

I was watching anime again, and I just got a theory about that book. Before he sent perona flying he asked her where does she want to go and then when she said damp and scary place he opened the bible start turning the pages and after he closed it he sent her flying, So I think that book contains some important data about op world(how else did he know where to sent the mugiwaras). Your thought's on this matter?
 
Top