Discussion Togashi and the ambiguously gendered characters

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
38
Gender
Male
So as we all know one of the recurring topics on Hunter x Hunter is the genders of some characters and the usual speculation using evidence like body proportions, pronouns and bios to prove once and for all if said character is male or female.

Examples we had like Kurapika who is pretty much confirmed as male (depending on which version you're basing at), Senritsu who confirmed verbally that she's female, and Kalluto who's bio in the 2004 data book said that he's a "kimono-wearing boy".

But we also had unconfirmed accounts like Pitou in which fans are split on wither it's male or female, so is Alluka and pretty much Ant Kite as well and the talk just never ends.

But then it hit me... does it really matter knowing what gender these ambiguously gendered characters are? How will it affect the plot anyhow? It's not a romantic love story and nothing has said anything on homosexuals or any of that. So why are we wasting our time figuring out beyond knowing how we refer to them?

Or how about a better question: Why does Togashi keep doing so?

The way I personally see it, this all feels like Togashi's way of saying "Don't look at gender, look at the characters themselves and what they do." Togashi is basically saying it doesn't matter if a character is man or a woman. If it's good when it's good and if it's bad when it's bad.

And it's also a way to run about the cliched "Hero Male with Useless female". Togashi gave us some good female characters who look weak but turn out to be quite powerful and in contrast made some lame @$$ed males despite their powerful hype and it's usually the opposite in a generic shonen series where they make females basically the cheerleaders or not as useful as male characters. And also gave us characters that are considered strong and powerful without really deciding what gender they are. Should we care if Pitou was male or female? It was wonderful character to the already wonderful library of characters here. Same with Alluka now. Boy? Girl? It doesn't matter. This thing can EFF you up if you're not careful with it.

While it is fun to speculate till we get solid confirmation, I don't think it should be our no. 1 priority. Unless you just want to make sure on what you project your sexual desires at but that's a Pandora Box I don't want to touch upon and neither should you.........
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
We hadsome subtext in HxH abouthomo orbisexuality and transgender.

Togashi neve rmade an issue about it, much as he seldomly makes romance an issue except if it supports the plot or character developement.

that is cool in my book.

I am pretty sure that allukais biologically male.
I mean, many suspected that the gender confusion has to do with nanika, but.....Alluka was born as Alluka, noone ever saw nanika before the butler incident, thus, i do not think her penis magically vanished (except if someone wished for that 0.o maybe Alluka asked Killuah to wish her to be a girl? But, as far as i know, alluka referred to herself as she even before the butler incident, and i doubt that that wish would happen at such a young age without killuah's parents noticing anything.)

Killuah is also very protective about it, calling out others who refer to her as a boy.
It is not like he understands the confusion because others do not know about a wish that has happened, it rather seems like he supports her choice to be a girl.

This, i would see Alluka as a Transgender until proven otherwise, the subtext, in my opinion, supports that.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,716
Reaction score
61,437
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well, Togashi likes traps, it was the same with Kurama and some characters in YYH.

As far as I am concerned, I won't argue with someone using male or female pronouns but don't try to argue with me when I am doing it either.

For me Kalluto is male, Kite is now female, Pitou and Alluka are female.

There are still persons thinking that Kurapika is female? Did they only watch the 99 version? :XD
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
About Pitou, I suspect the Royal Guard are assexual.
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well, ants DO seem to have a concept of gender.
At least all the male looking ants wanted to be king and the one the spider's fought wanted to be a queen.

However, the royal guards had no intentionatall of being king or queen but would only serve the king, thus, why would they need a concept like that?
I doubt they had reproductive organs.

Kite is a female now, i am pretty sure of that, because as the king's sibling she most certainly can reproduce if the king could and thus it makes sense that she has a gender and obviously she looks like a previously devoured human girl the koala knew.

As for alluka, as said before, i think she is a trans boy.

Kurapica is male and noone can doubt that because it is canon.

But i do not think it matters a lot.
as for me, i would have preferred for kurapica to be a girl, but it is not like that.
As for the royal guards, i really really do not care, because it is irrelevant.
Same for Kite. It is not like we will suddenly get a romance subplot about kite loving gon.

The only character where it DOES matter is Alluka because it is made an issue in the chapters, and Togashi usually does not throw in useless stuff.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
But in Kurapika's case he has little to no feminine trait.
 

Riyuki

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
774
Reaction score
200
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I bet Alluka was a boy but then Ai took over and Ai has a female personality.
 

EverEndingStory

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2012
Messages
72
Reaction score
47
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
There are still persons thinking that Kurapika is female? Did they only watch the 99 version? :XD
I KNOW Kurapika is male - like, if you straight up asked me, I'd tell you he's male. But in conversation, lots of times, if I don't check myself, I'll use feminine pronouns for him by accident - because when I picture him in my head, I just naturally want to ascribe a feminine pronoun to him.

I bet Alluka was a boy but then Ai took over and Ai has a female personality.
But Alluka and Nanika are demonstrably two different entities/people (within the same body), and Killua treats each differently. And he treats Nanika as a boy while treating Alluka as a girl.

I'm guessing its either one of two things. Either a) Alluka is physically male, but is transgendered, in which case Killua refers to Alluka by her chosen gender pronoun, while the rest of the family refers to her by the pronoun defined by her sexual organ. Or b) Alluka is a female, but Nanika is a male - Killua of course sees Alluka as his sister, but the rest of the family only see the monster that is Nanika, and refers to him as such.

Kite is a female now, i am pretty sure of that, because as the king's sibling she most certainly can reproduce if the king could and thus it makes sense that she has a gender and obviously she looks like a previously devoured human girl the koala knew.
Kite is now a female sexually, yes - but whether or not he will now be gendered as female remains to be seen. It's still a man's mind, just now in a female body - the textbook definition of transgendered.
 

Riyuki

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
774
Reaction score
200
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I guess what I meant was that the personality of something we dont know much about from the DC might have had an influence on Alluka's personality. I'm just brainstorming here lol I just think we will learn a lot more about Nanika/Ai in the future.. thats the only way I could see Killua coming back into the story.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Or b) Alluka is a female, but Nanika is a male - Killua of course sees Alluka as his sister, but the rest of the family only see the monster that is Nanika, and refers to him as such.
Given Alluka's condition with Nanika, I am more inclined to believe on this than just gender identity.

It's still a man's mind, just now in a female body - the textbook definition of transgendered.
I believe transgenderism is more complicated than that, especially because some transgenders don't identify themselves exclusively with one gender.
 

Zoro Zoldyck

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
292
Reaction score
71
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Iraq
Agreed, there's no reason to like a character simply because he's a male or she's a female..

And I love that because many people just like one gender and dislike the other and that just isn't fair.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,716
Reaction score
61,437
Gender
Male
Country
France


Male or female? I think male :D.
 

Zoro Zoldyck

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
292
Reaction score
71
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Iraq
Who's that?! lol
 

Master OZ

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
135
Reaction score
38
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
Examples we had like Kurapika who is pretty much confirmed as male (depending on which version you're basing at).
There are still persons thinking that Kurapika is female? Did they only watch the 99 version? :XD
I just want to chime in. In old anime Kurapika was considered male (no matter what director says).

There is an undeniable proof of in-show acknowledgement that Kurapika is a male.

It is in the Battle ship Island AND a very blink-or-you´ll-miss-it moment, but it is there.

Namely Episode 18 from 20:00. Leorio comes naked into the room, Kurapika assaults him for doing so and Leorio responds sulkingly

In translation "What´s the big deal if I walk around naked? We are both men here, you know?"

Please spread this post to battle the ignorance of idiots using "Kurapika is a female" as an argument against old anime!!!!!
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
38
Gender
Male
I just want to chime in. In old anime Kurapika was considered male (no matter what director says).

There is an undeniable proof of in-show acknowledgement that Kurapika is a male.

It is in the Battle ship Island AND a very blink-or-you´ll-miss-it moment, but it is there.

Namely Episode 18 from 20:00. Leorio comes naked into the room, Kurapika assaults him for doing so and Leorio responds sulkingly

In translation "What´s the big deal if I walk around naked? We are both men here, you know?"

Please spread this post to battle the ignorance of idiots using "Kurapika is a female" as an argument against old anime!!!!!
This was confusing for at least the Arabic audience. For years fans were debating if Kurapika was male or female before it became common knowledge.
 

Riyuki

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
774
Reaction score
200
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I have a friend that refuses to believe Kurapika is a male. He is only in the Yorknew arc right now, but he says that the final manga chapter will be Kurapika telling everyone he is a girl. lmao
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Here is Brazil Kurapika has a /manly voice, and he sounds very cool like that.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top