Done Translating Image

Selkie

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 1, 2013
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Can anyone help me with my translation? (It's text / speech from an online image. Characters are Haruka and Michiru, from Sailor Moon.) Here's what I have so far:

Background Text: サっぱりサラシなんですか?*
*Not sure why the サ in さっぱり is written in katakana, but it is.
Haruka: 寝坊した
Michiru: 40秒で任度なさい

Here's my best guess for what the translation is:


Background Text: What is completely bleached?

Given that Haruka overslept (and is half-dressed - no shirt - appearing to have just woken up), my first thought for this was さっぱり = feeling refreshed. But the only meaning I can find for サラシ is 'bleaching' or 'bleached cotton'. And as my dictionary says さっぱり may also mean 'completely'...

Haruka : I overslept.

I'm pretty confident on this one.

Michiru: Did 40 seconds at the obliged degree.

I have no idea. This one is not much more than a guess. She is holding a shirt (presumably Haruka's shirt).

The text in the image is handwritten, so I could be reading it wrong.

Help? Thank you!
 

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why don't you just post the image? The last line at least looks to be incorrectly transcribed. Sarashi is a noun that comes from sarasu, to expose. In this context, to be exposed to shame and such. Sappari here should indeed mean "completely".
 

Aarowaim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
91
Reaction score
53
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
さっぱりサラシなんですか?
Roughly, it translates to "Is it that it is 100% bleached?" or "Is it that it is 100% cotton?"

さっぱり = plain/fresh/simple/completely
サラシ = bleached (also used in reference to cottons that are bleached)
~なんです = ~なのです; a special version of ~のです attached to nouns; roughly translates to "(the fact) is that..."

なのです is used to resolve ambiguity; マリアさんのです means "it is Maria's (thing)", but マリアさんなのです "It is that it is Maria"/"It is Maria". Use のです after verbs, and なのです after nouns.

寝坊した
Bingo; "I slept in"/"I overslept"

40秒で任度なさい
Perhaps it is 仕度?
仕度 = したく = Preparation/arrangement

EDIT: cmertb has a point; the first line may also be interpretted as "Are you completely exposed (naked)?" I doubt characters would be concerned about a shirt unless they were to put it in a dryer, so I believe this third interpretation is the most likely.
 
Last edited:

Selkie

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 1, 2013
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
cmertb, I suspect in this case that sarashi is indeed referring to underwear.

Aarowaim, thanks for the breakdown! I tend to forget about (and have a hard time with) ~なのです. I translated it as, "What is..." because なん is sometimes short for なに.

I completely missed the fact that an image upload was possible. My bad. This is the image:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ok, so first it's やっぱりサラシなんですか? -> something like "So it had to be a sarashi?" Looks like author's text.
寝坊した you already got
40秒で任度なさい is the line I thought you mistranscribed, but it really seems to say that. The word 任度 doesn't exist, so best guess is the author misspelled 仕度 like Aarowaim supposed. And in fact, there is a famous line from Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa 40秒で支度しな i.e. "get ready in 40 seconds". You can see it quoted all over the place if you google it. Not that you'll find any useful videos thanks to copyright nazis.

Edit: sometimes my obsessiveness surprises even myself: http://d.pr/i/Fzwk About 50 minutes into the movie.
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
やっぱりさらしなんですか:cmertb is correct about "や"
Use the word sarashi like cmertb did with a foot note, or something like:
Do you have to be wrapping yourself with cotton cloth?
You are wearing cotton cloth again./Are you wearing cotton cloth again?

40秒で仕度しなさい: 任 is a typo as Aarowaim mentioned.
Get ready in 40 sec.
 
Top