Done Translation Assistance Needed Please

Padawan09

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I am trying to translate this Omake but、 I am having trouble with making an appropriate English adaption. I think I got the translation down technically but, I could still use some help.

Well, here is my rough draft translation.

Title:
佐々岡センセがやってきた
Teacher Sasaoka Makes an appearance

The Teacher says: 
佐々岡アヤといいます。
I am Aya Sasaoka

Then The Teacher then says:
ふしだらな者ですがよろしくお願いします
I am a loose person so, please bare with me

The Teacher then further says:
「それを言うなら ふつつか者だろ」って ツッコんでくださいよぉ

Someone in the audience thinks to themself:
「ふ」しか共通点ないんじゃ。。。
Those two words have nothing in common.

This Manga is a comedy, and because I have never read this Manga before, it is difficult for me to select the appropriate words for a translation. However, the one I am translating this for, is very knowledgeable of this Manga so, they are better at picking the appropriate words.

I am not familiar with the words Fushidara and Futsutsuka, and figuring out how to translate the last line is difficult because, the person in the audience is pointing out the fact that the "Fu" in Fushidara and, the "Fu" in Futsutsuka don't even have anything in common. The "Fu" in particular.

If we look at Fushidara&Futsutsuka in Kanji and Hiragana we read:

ふしだら&不束

I noticed how the "Fu" (不) in futsutsuka is a "Fu" that negates something. Like how the prefix "in" in English negates a word. Like, Fututsuka can mean Incompetent or Inexperienced.

The teacher is "Loose" but not "inexperienced". The comedy apparently is full of sexual innuendos.

So, I figure if I can find another word in English that has similar connotations as "Loose" but, starts with "in", maybe something good will happen?

Am I looking at this the right way? If you would like me to attach or mail the panel, please let me know. I dunno if I can attach it here.

"I am 'in'to things but I am not 'in'experienced"

Not even the "in" has anything in common.

Ohh~ I dunno what to do in these tricky situations. I am brand new to translation.

If anyone could be so kind to help, I would greatly appreciate.

Warmly,

Padawan
 

mako1138

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 26, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
United States
「ふ」しか共通点ないんじゃ。。。
I think this actually says: "aside from the fu, the words have nothing in common..."

According to this the "fu" in fushidara does come from usage as "not", although I suppose the entire adjective is not written with kanji because it originally comes from Sanskrit.

I'm not familiar with these words, so I'm not sure I understand the joke, but your "in-" approach seems like a good idea.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
ふつつか‐もの【不束者】
気のきかない人。行きとどかない者。Usage:「―ですが、よろしく」

ふつつか者ですがどうぞよろしく
I'm afraid I'm not very competent but I hope you will be patient with me.
<This is a standard greeting in Japan. You are supposed to be modest and do not praise yourself in front of others. Since there is no such custom in the US and many Western cultures, the greeting may sound strange when you translate.>

ふしだら:
けじめがなく、だらしないこと。 品行が悪いこと。
untidy、dissipated; loose in morals
................................................................................
Then The Teacher then says:
ふしだらな者ですがよろしくお願いします
I am a loose person so, please bare with me
---> This is correct.

The Teacher then further says:
「それを言うなら ふつつか者だろ」って ツッコんでくださいよぉ
--->. Please correct me by saying / Please tell me /Please say something like "You(Teacher) are(is) supposed to say that you are incompetent(ふつつかもの) rather than being untidy/loose(ふしだら)."

つっこんで(ツッコンデ)ください
---> Please check the concept of "ぼけ・BOKE" & "つっこみ・TSUKKOMI" in comedy. One person says something off, and the partner corrects the mistake and sometimes slap the other guy's head. Just like in a knock-knock joke, when one person says "Knock Knock" then the partner is supposed to say "Who's there?," a partner is expected to " correct the mistake つっこむ/tukkomu" when the other says something off (ぼける).

Someone in the audience thinks to themself<themselves>:
「ふ」しか共通点ないんじゃ。。。
Those two words have nothing in common.
--> (Those two words have nothing in common other than "FU.")
--> Those two words have nothing in common other than being negative.
ふFU is a negative prefix like in-, im-, un-, dis-.

What is actually said here is:
I see a similarity but those words are hardly close. It does not worth correcting the error, and it is not even funny.
 
Last edited:
Top