Football - UEFA Euro 2016 - Tournament & Bracket | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Football UEFA Euro 2016 - Tournament & Bracket

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Just over a week before the tournament begins, so we might as well get the discussions and predictions going. Welcome to Euro 2016!
In this thread we will be discussing the tournament itself as it progresses and any news relating to it. Also with this, we invite everyone to take part in the Euro Bracket to place their predictions for the tournament.

Tournament Format
To accommodate the expansion from a 16 team finals tournament to 24 teams, the format will be changed from that used in 2012 with the addition of two extra groups in the group stage, and an extra round in the knockout stages. The six groups (A to F) would still contain four teams each, with the top two from each group still going through to the knockout stage. In the new format however, the four best third-ranked sides would also progress, leaving 16 teams going into the new round of 16 knockout stage, ahead of the usual quarter-finals, semi-finals and final, and only 8 teams going out at the group stage. The format is exactly the one which was applied to the 1986, 1990 and 1994 FIFA World Cups, with the exception of the absence of a third-place play-off.

This format generates a total of 51 games, compared with 31 games for the previous 16-team tournament, to be played over a period of 31 days. UEFA's general secretary Gianni Infantino previously described the format as "not ideal" due to the need for third-ranked teams in the group stage advancing, leading to a difficulty in preventing situations where teams might be able to know in advance what results they need to progress out of the group, lending to a lack of suspense for fans, or even the prospect of mutually beneficial collusion between teams.
Groups

A list of all fixtures and kick off can be found here on ESPN. All match times are shown as Eastern Time (ET), so be mindful.

Bracket Predictor
Okay, so we've done this bracket challenge for a few different events here on MH and we did one for the previous Euros and it was quite a bit of fun to see how close our predictions come to the tournament itself.

The winner of the Bracket Challenge will receive a special badge. Click [HERE] to complete your predictions, then post a link to your predictions here, like this:My Bracket Predictions.

Member Predictions
MemberPrediction Winner
goldbFrance
xi0Spain
UstegiusGermany
Gala LionGermany
syxBelgium
MemickyFrance
WowzersGermany
ryozenFrance
AkainuFrance
LaxusPortugal
HoltSpain
PhiliaFrance

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Mah bracket

I don't feel like I'm really up to date with power rankings and such.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
This is actually my first time participating in a challenge here. So my question is: how will the winner be determined? I thought this would be a betting game, where you predict the result of each match and receive points, but that's not the case.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is actually my first time participating in a challenge here. So my question is: how will the winner be determined? I thought this would be a betting game, where you predict the result of each match and receive points, but that's not the case.
Well, with the previous one we had a league that did all the working out for us based on how accurate our predictions were to the actual results, but this time we'll have to do it manually. So for example, Ustegius and xi0 both have Spain to win, and if that comes true then it'll depend on who had the other predictions closer to the actual results.

Makes sense?

I'll try to update everyone's Brackets as we go along.

Just seen that Reus hasn't made Germany's final squad for the tournament, but instead Schweinsteiger is going, even though he'd been injured quite a few times this year. Any germans here care to explain or comment on that?

Reactions: syx

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Here's my go. Really not sure about this tournament. The increased number of participants could upset some things in addition to the usual imponderabilities.

Peeto

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
guys... there is wrong flag in group B, this one here is flag of SLOVENIA not SLOVAKIA

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Makes sense?

Just seen that Reus hasn't made Germany's final squad for the tournament, but instead Schweinsteiger is going, even though he'd been injured quite a few times this year. Any germans here care to explain or comment on that?
Well yeah, you could do that. Not the way I would prefer but I won't complain. :3

As far as I recall, Marco Reus has pupic bone problems.

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
My Predictions.
Not really up to date with Rankings and form though.

Peeto

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
seems like most of you underestimate my team :D i think we can go far in this tournament, we managed to beat spain in qualification and germany in friendly match just few days ago

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Philia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are you sure you copied the right link? you have the same link that Akainu posted above.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Chart showing number of players going to Euro 2016 from every league:

Just from the Premier League there's just under double the amount of the closest league, then you have our 2nd league which even sending more players to the tournament than the french league itself.