Request Uploading raws

What do you think is the best move?

  • Banning raw uploads entirely

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    17

Oxwivi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
This suggestion is in response to this MH news.

I want to protest the ban on uploading raws of any manga magazine. I believe restricting raw viewers in Japan is enough.

Spreading raws internationally will not affect the the magazine in question since it's unlikely that overseas viewer will ever come in contact with the actual magazine and affect the magazine owner(s)' profit in any way, since raw manga magazines are not sold outside Japan. In retrospect, due to Edited Manga, the manga title of those magazines may become officially translated in the viewer's country and there'll be some fans - however small in number - who'll buy them to support the author.

Instead of restricting raws on MH, I believe it'd be more beneficial to restrict scanlated volumes that have been officially translated. The countries' which enjoys such official releases should be restricted access to only the volumes or chapters yet to be officially released. This'll have readers buying the official release and support the mangaka should they want to read old volumes again.

I've put up a poll to record popular opinion; I request the administrators to sticky this thread for more discussion on my suggestion and it's consequences.

NOTE The above statements was made in general view of current and possible raw bans of more magazines in the future.
 
Last edited:

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
I don't see much sense in banning japanese people, but not ban any kind of uploaded copyrighted material. Isn't there One Piece manga being published in USA or UK? I don't think that the law care if it would take time for the newest chapter being released in another country.

In fact, you look deep in copyrighted material restrictions, probably:
- Any kind of scan should not be allowed;
- Leaked spoilers scripts are probably not something that the editors are happy with;
- Technically, fanarts of fanfics are also breaking some copyrighted material restriction. Believe or not, some official forums ban that kind of thing.

If Mangahelpers would be against piracy, and be there only "to provide you with accurate translations for the Manga that you love", it should be reduced to a site which you would need an manga in hand while chekcing an text-only translation. Well, you got may point.

Anyway, I am thinking in burning all Shueisha & Shogakukan manga I have and never buy one again as a protest.
 

unok-kun

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
769
Reaction score
434
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Japanese manga publishers just care about sales in Japan, since the licensing companies for manga in other countries pay them a fee every year, whether they sell or not. So, removing the Edited Mangas wouldn't help at all. Besides, if the raws were blocked just for Japan, it'd be fairly easy for the Japanese to use a proxy or whatever and bypass the ban. In any case, if you know where to search *cough*IRC*cough* it's not hard to get raws, and there'll still be Edited Mangas coming out.
 

Oxwivi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
So what you're saying is:
  • The entire existence of MH is an infringement of copyrights.
  • The licensing companies are being paid, so it doesn't affect their profits.
That just proves my point. It'll completely ineffective to help any of the magazines by banning raw uploads. And in fact, it might even serve to decrease the translators. I for one was hoping to read the mangas raw from MH, after I managed to learn Japanese, but this is affecting my plans since I don't know any other open raw source.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Japanese manga publishers just care about sales in Japan, since the licensing companies for manga in other countries pay them a fee every year, whether they sell or not. So, removing the Edited Mangas wouldn't help at all. Besides, if the raws were blocked just for Japan, it'd be fairly easy for the Japanese to use a proxy or whatever and bypass the ban. In any case, if you know where to search *cough*IRC*cough* it's not hard to get raws, and there'll still be Edited Mangas coming out.
So it's ok for the non-japanese editors to loose money?

And if piracy decrease sells (which being true of not is not the point of the argument) it will affect indirectly the japanese editors, simply because if, let's say the sales in USA are decreasing, the USA publishers will offer an lower fee for the publisher.

So, I can't think of a good argument for why should a manga be blocked for Japan, but not USA.
So what you're saying is:
  • The entire existence of MH is an infringement of copyrights.
  • The licensing companies are being paid, so it doesn't affect their profits.
That just proves my point. It'll completely ineffective to help any of the magazines by banning raw uploads. And in fact, it might even serve to decrease the translators. I for one was hoping to read the mangas raw from MH, after I managed to learn Japanese, but this is affecting my plans since I don't know any other open raw source.
Essentially the entire manga uploading is infringement of copyright.

If you ask me, I don't believe that piracy is hurting the mangakas (Naruto, Bleach... they are popular because of Internet, aren't they?), or if it is smart for publishers take down their fans... But since MangaHelpers already started to block uploads, that's not the question.
 

Belisar

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2008
Messages
1,940
Reaction score
506
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
guys seriously, do you think mh admins even care what you are writing? i fully support you but this thread is fated to be buried in oblivion.

there isn't even one post from the site staff, be it a mod or an admin. hell, even the Manga Editors doesn't seem to care at all.
 

Alterno

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
1,304
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
See, this is something similar to what happens with torrents and other big communities of other kind of content like movies, book, etc.

I agree with not hosting files directly in MangaHelpers servers, but I also believe that MangaHelpers should allow posting links to Raws in third party sites or file hosting, that's what a lot of people is doing with Edited Mangas, torrents, movies, etc.. even Google have policies about how to deal with copyright infringement which is not illegal.

To be honest, I find funny the prohibition of raws and not the prohibition of Edited Mangas, never thought they would prohibit raws before scans... :P.

 
Last edited:

MisaoFan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
10
Age
30
Gender
Female
Country
France
Do you add the RAW first chapter of Milky Holmes manga ?
 
Top