Art - Volume Covers and Official Art Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Art Volume Covers and Official Art Thread

What is your favorite Volume Cover?

• Total voters

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Volume Covers and Official Art Thread

LATEST VOLUME COVER:

Volume 11

Volume 01

Ch 01-7
JP release date:
December 02, 2016
ENG release date: December 05, 2017
Volume 02

Ch 8-16
JP release date:
January 23 2017
ENG release date: February 6, 2018
Volume 03

Ch 17-25
JP release date:
March 27 2017
ENG release date: April 3, 2018
Volume 04

Ch 26-34
JP release date:
July 4, 2017
ENG release date: June 5, 2018
Volume 05

Ch 35-42
JP release date:
September 4, 2017
ENG release date: August 7, 2018
Volume 06

Ch 43-52
JP Release Date:
November 2, 2017
ENG Release Date: October 2nd, 2018

Volume 07

Ch 53-61
JP release date:
January 4th, 2018
ENG release date: December 4th, 2018
Volume 08

Ch 62-70
JP release date:
February 12th, 2018
ENG release date: February 5th, 2019
Volume 09

Ch 71-79
JP release date:
June 4th, 2018
ENG release date: April 2nd, 2019
Volume 10

Ch 80-88
JP release date:
August 3rd, 2018
ENG release date: N/A
Volume 11

Ch 89-96
JP release date:
November 2nd, 2018
ENG release date: N/A
[/tr][/table]​
Volume Extras
( Translated by @BasedAnon )
Volume 1-2

Last edited:

Kadir0

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I heard the artist is a female, is it true? (Not that I am against it, just curious)

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm fairly sure Posuka is a woman yes. Her work is gorgeous though :drool

Kato756

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I was at first not really found of the art, but it has grow so much on me, love Enma design, but I dislike how Norman´s forehead sometimes looks like its just ready to burst open like in this cover and some panels.

Interessing to see we have another kid together with Don and Gilda...

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
As far as character design goes I think either Krone or Ray are my favourites. Krone's Caricature style really jumps out at you and Ray just looks cool, calm and collected which is always a good thing. Let's just hope that that cold nature isn't the end of him.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The art in neverland really is great because a) it is not 'standart manga art' like you see in many series these days and b) it suits the manga and its themes very well and c) the artist ACTUALLY is a good artist who hides plotdetails and foreshadowing in the drawings and uses someimaginative pictures instead of just drawing what stands in the script.

To a) There is a reason why there is a mainstream manga style and a mainstream style how to draw things.
The reason is that it is pretty and that it enables many cool character designs without putting too much thought in it that are tried and true.
However, this kind of style does not git every manga very well and some manga benefit a lot from having more unique styles (take one piece for example: The crazy character designs are definitely a big plus for it).

This leads us to b)
So why do I say that the style of neverland fits it?
There is a manga many consider as really really bad and ugly which i actually enjoyed. This is battle royale 2:

Now, these drawings are not pretty and not on the same level as neverland.
They are not pretty by any sense of the word, BUT, when everyone else complained about the art in BR2, i thought to myself: Hey it actually makes it a better manga.
Because the character designs are not some overtly cool kid with pointy hair and a know it all face, or just some moe stock character or 'loveinterestes #3'.
They are 'just some kid' and 'just some middle aged man' like actual kids and teachers would be.
They are fighting to survive even tho they are clearly not prepared for it and shouldn't be prepared for it.
And that struck an emotional chord with me much more than any actually pretty drawing would do.

And i find this comparable with neverland in that way (even tho neverland has pretty drawings, that will be point c)).
Neverland constantly reminds us that, despite being very smart, the characters are just kids with its drawing style alone.

Let's look at these 3 pages:

[/quote]

I left some pages inbetween out because those pages exemplify how drawing enhanced the scene.

Already in the first scene, the most obvious thing is how donnie's face is not 'angry pissed manga face #3' but a rather deformed image.
Donnie does not look intimidating here. He looks (and is) an angry child in his jammies.
Gilda is not some Moe character which people just find cute, but she is a scared shy girl with classes who is smarter than she is given credit for.
Her bodylanguage alone expresses that. She is behind donnie in the first picture and you can see she does not know how to handle the situation and reacts in a way many children do when suddenly there is conflict: Keeping her hands up and going into a cowering and hiding position.

Even on the second picture where donnie hits the other children, he does not look very intimidating but just like this situation is too much for him and Emma's mouth and eyes does not give her some cool and defiant 'go hit me but you are just angry about yourself' expression many manga would have given her in that situation, but emma still reminds us that she is just a little girl who does not want to be hit.
There is nothing cool about them here (and even ray, who is our bonafide 'cool' often looks like it is just a mask, but we'd have to discuss him in more depth).
That point is driven home the most in the third picture: Just look at donnie.

He looks like an angry toddler who just threw a tantrum and now starts crying. And while this would look ridicoulus in most manga, i found it touching here.
Because Donnie might be emotional and somewhat too easily to anger for his own good, but we have to look at a young boy here who just got to know he was being lied to, considered useless and his siblings have been killed, a fate that will soon meet him too in all probability.
And while she are shown that it affects him just like any other child his age, the writing contrasts it by letting all kids including him come to a very mature conclusion of this conflict and apologize to teach other.

This scene would have played out HELLA less touching if we just saw 'cool' character designs making staple manga faces.

Since i do not have much time, i cannot talk about c) in depth, but aside from the foreshadowing given in the drawings (which are probably to the credit of the author more than the artist really), Neverland has many limits.
The biggest one is that is, so far, has only one location and in all probablity will usually play out in closed areas in the modern time. That is not a big variety to go by, BUT:

We get lots of pictures like these, which seem horribly out of place from the usual art but work really well DUE to that contrast.

I know i laughed when Connie died. Call me heartless, but i see it coming from a mile away that it'd happen, so dead connie didn't startle me.
But the sudden picture of the monsters did startle me. I didn't exspect it and it seemed obnoxiously out of place with the usual art.
And it should be, it is alien.
Pictures like these remind us the peace in the orphanage is not real, even if all the children would love it to be real (see Omake, I can honestly say that i might read just the story of some kids having fun in an orphanage, god knows i WOULD want to read the stories of happy emma norman ray and so on and that enhances neverland a lot. we know what peace is lost by the contrast of cute cuddly art with THAT picture above).

Simlarly, Mama usually gives a very caring and warm look, that means that a picture like this:

Creates tension by just having a character look at another character in a noncute way.
That scene simlarly wouldnt work as well if the usual art was not all cuddly and deformed.

Aside that, since i am out of time: I dare you: Read through neverland just looking at these two things:

How often characters are exemplified by dreampictures or coverart (like ray in the library, krone the bug catcher, mama looking at the children as miniatures and so on) and how often the artist does crazy things with the backround and environment, deforming the monastery to show and changing angles just to show something in a nonordered or distorted way.
These things might not be understood at once, but they do add a lot to the atmosphere of the manga.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
The author's art is so strange... but that doesn't mean bad. Like have you ever played BioShock or Fallout...? The post-apocalyptic vibe game is too strong in this one. It's dope.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Looking at it that way, Borderlands also comes to mind. And that game was a GOTY Winner so maybe that spells good things for Neverland? :p

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
damn the cover is already highlighting Phil?! It seems like the Phil hype is real.

Kadir0

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Since everyone compared the art to something, the only thing came to my mind is Code Lyoko lol.

Ray : William (best character with the best design and powers, I loved him but too bad most people hated him xD)
Norman : Ulrich (his design and characteristic gives be the same vibe as Norman, plus their love crush :-) )
Emma: Yumi ( but Emma is more useful though :P)

OK, I will get out

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It also highlights connie, let's don't get too excited about poor little phil here :p
I feel like the backgrounds are almost as important as the characters. They all have so much content packed into them!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm going to post this in here, as that's what I said I'd do at first so better keep up with all the official Artwork :p

Colour Cover

Kefka Palazzo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Norman's forehead is still... weird. Ray is still 2edgy4me.

BasedAnon

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
That's great. I really love the TPN Covers.
It also has a PV now which is kinda spooky:
And for those who missed it, the Volume 1 extras: imgur.com/a/3zKin

Last edited:

Kefka Palazzo

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That's great. I really love the TPN Covers.
It also has a PV now which is kinda spooky:
And for those who missed it, the Volume 1 extras: imgur.com/a/3zKin
Loved the PV. Loved the Volume 1 extras. Hope they keep up with the good work.

Zirconium

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
This cover looks beautiful too :hearts
I really like the simple drawing style of Demizu and I'm especially fond of the colorized ones...
The 3 main characters in the foreground with mastermind Phil ^^
Btw, nice little detail with the book in his hands and the owl on its cover, a reference to William Minerva ;)
Overall I hope that I get those volumes with the extras someday!

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for sharing @#Se7en . The OP has been updated :)
Phil is looking sketchy as always... He's just too happy.