Discussion - Wano Kuni Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Wano Kuni Discussion

asunam

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Hi everyone,

I just reread the entire arc of Punk Hazard and I've noticed that Oda scattered a lot of hint about Momo and Kinemon.
I didn't see any discussion about that. so here it is...

So far, we've learned the following:
- Kinemon has a problem with dragons
- Momo and Kinemon have a problem with pirates
- They haven't eaten in 10 days
- They have problem trusting others
- Momo thinks that pirates are giant men weighing nearly 400kg and are more violent and strong-looking (this one is nice i think)
- they come from a country that is apparently closed to outsiders
- Kinemon tell his son to "let us live"...

Do you see other hint ?

We can add that Oda has been teasing us with the wano country as Ryuma was from there and Ace have been there as well.

So, anyway, I will try the following guess,

Their country have been invaded by pirates. I think that there's a high chance it's Blackbeard (or maybe Kaido, which would fit perfectly to the Law/Dofla story) based on Momo description.
Their people have either be annihilated and they flee in order to survive as the last of their clans. Or... they are on a journey to try to find a cure for them.
I would also add that if the SH ever go to wanokuni, Robin will find a poneglyph there, as their country has been closed to outsiders.

any other wild guess ?

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Re: The backstory of Wanokuni's Samurai - the hints

First, nice of you to compile the information. I would add only 2 things 1) There exists special sword schools with secret techniques (was probably obvious before but still nice to know) and 2) Kinemon says to Momo "let us believe that they are also ok", we don´t know who he is referring to though.

tret16

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Actually i wouldn't go as far as saying that pirates have invaded Wano, i mean look how strong kinamon is, even Zoro was impressed and also he was able to keep up with brooke with just his torso. So it's probably safe to say that there are far stronger samurai on the island... The only reason Kinamon left was because his son was kidnapped. Also they probably have had pirates try but i doubt they would be able to take on a whole country of samurai and succeed. The main reason Pirate are able to take control of areas is because they are mostly just civilians in the towns. No actual fighters. So i would say that there anger towards pirates come from the stupid ones that have tried to take control of Wano.

I do agree with you about the poneglyph though... They alway's seem to find one at places that are hard to get entry too. But i'm also curious on what Zoro will do once he gets there... I see either him learning techniques there (at least trying to convince them to teach him something) or him trying to challenge the strongest samurai in the country.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Hints are not needed. Wano Kuni predates One Piece. The short story Monsters is canonical, featuring Ryuma (from Thriller Bark) as the hero, and takes place in Wano Kuni. Monsters is about Ryuma fighting a dragon. Kinemon being stuck to a dragon, and Momo turning into one, were Easter Eggs for those who have read Oda's short stories. Smaurai code, Bushido, demands not taking charity from a stranger. Momo refusing food would be Bushido, Samurai code, and probably not some hint at future plot direction. It could also be another Monsters reference. At the beginning of the story Ryuma shames himself by begging for food in a Wano Kuni inn. We have known Wano Kuni is closed to outsiders, including the World Government, since the Thriller Bark arc. Nothing new there. At the beginning of Punk Hazard, Kinemon made it quite clear how he felt about Pirates. If the Samurai are strong enough to keep out the World Government, they also should be strong enough to keep out Pirates. It's possible Momo has never seen a Pirate before, and so imagines them as huge, stereotypical monsters, a description that does not fit Luffy.

Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Hints are not needed. Wano Kuni predates One Piece. The short story Monsters is canonical, featuring Ryuma (from Thriller Bark) as the hero, and takes place in Wano Kuni. Monsters is about Ryuma fighting a dragon. Kinemon being stuck to a dragon, and Momo turning into one, were Easter Eggs for those who have read Oda's short stories. Smaurai code, Bushido, demands not taking charity from a stranger. Momo refusing food would be Bushido, Samurai code, and probably not some hint at future plot direction. It could also be another Monsters reference. At the beginning of the story Ryuma shames himself by begging for food in a Wano Kuni inn. We have known Wano Kuni is closed to outsiders, including the World Government, since the Thriller Bark arc. Nothing new there. At the beginning of Punk Hazard, Kinemon made it quite clear how he felt about Pirates. If the Samurai are strong enough to keep out the World Government, they also should be strong enough to keep out Pirates. It's possible Momo has never seen a Pirate before, and so imagines them as huge, stereotypical monsters, a description that does not fit Luffy.
Actually, Monsters never said that the town is in WaNo, it is only assumed since Ryuuma obviously is from there but he seems to be a traveler anyway, so it can just as easily be a different place, especially considering that it did not really look like "feudal Japan".

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile

I like very much your idea of Teach being the pirate that Momo hates and resemble to any kind of pirate.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Actually, Monsters never said that the town is in WaNo, it is only assumed since Ryuuma obviously is from there but he seems to be a traveler anyway, so it can just as easily be a different place, especially considering that it did not really look like "feudal Japan".
Ryuma's from Wano. He fought a dragon. Kinemon is from Wano. He got stuck to a dragon. Momo is from Wano. he turned into a dragon. It all must mean something, but what... Obviously the dragons were not a reference to Monsters.

Ryuma begged for food, in a very unsmaurai like manner. Momo refused food in a very samurai like manner. That could not be a reference either, of course.

Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Ryuma's from Wano. He fought a dragon. Kinemon is from Wano. He got stuck to a dragon. Momo is from Wano. he turned into a dragon. It all must mean something, but what... Obviously the dragons were not a reference to Monsters.

Ryuma begged for food, in a very unsmaurai like manner. Momo refused food in a very samurai like manner. That could not be a reference either, of course.
You are completely right about those things, i just said that Monsters never stated that it actually is Wa No, it actually did not look like Wa No (at least how i imagine it) and that we also do not know whether that was the only dragon Ryuuma killed.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile

Oda said that Oneshot is canon to One Piece story? I wouldn't bound it just because the names are the same.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

Oda said that Oneshot is canon to One Piece story? I wouldn't bound it just because the names are the same.
D: Question for you!! Is the swordsman "Ryuma" who was once said to have defeated a dragon the very same Ryuma that starred in the short story "Monsters" from your collection volume entitled "Wanted!"? He is, isn't he? I'm so desperate to know, I can't brush my teeth. If I get a cavity, I'll tell the dentist it was your fault. P.N. Satoru-pyon
SBS Vol 47 12

D: Greetings!! I cracked open "Wanted!" for the first time in ages and re-read "Romance Dawn", which prompted me to notice that Luffy's grandpa in that story was basically the same guy as Vice Admiral Garp! Does that mean that Garp was once the captain of a crew of pirates? P.N. Nao

O: Well, here are two questions about my old short story collection, "Wanted!" I'll tackle Ryuma's first. The zombie Ryuma appears in Chapter 450 from this volume, and he is indeed the Ryuma who starred in "Monsters". In the world of One Piece, he's now a legendary swordsman who died of sickness. I wouldn't have minded if this had just slipped through the cracks, but I was happy to see that so many people noticed. Next, Garp. He appeared as Luffy's grandpa, and a pirate no less, in the one-shot that served as the basis for One Piece. He might look the same, but I want you to see these as different stories. Grandpa Garp from THIS One Piece is a true blue Marine, from birth till death!!

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia

Nowdays, this is a nice thread.

Despite zehahaha, Momo saw Doflamingo in his hallucination.

And yes, whereas Monster is canonical, we ignore if the story takes place in Wano. But my bet would be that it doesn't, since it would be extrange that a so closed and self-care nation like Wano would allow a villain like Cyrano make his stuff inside of it. Evenmore, Ryunma begging for food would take much more sense out of Wano, since Flare had food to give him. It's like the story of an allien with odd costumes living in NY.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile

So he want us to see them as different stories... well i would take the order :p

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

No. The second Romance Dawn one shot is a separate story. In the second version of Romance Dawn, Luffy receives his Strawhat from his Grandfather, who looks like Garp. The character design was merely recycled though, neither of the Romance Dawn pilots are considered canon. Monsters is canonical One Piece. Ryuma, the Samurai from the Thriller Bark arc, is confirmed to be the main character from Monsters. He wants us to see Monsters as the same story as One Piece, Romance Dawn as a separate story.

asunam

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France

For my part, i would be more enclined to think that Kinemon and Momo left Wano for some reason and that Momo was captured along their journey by Ceasar men.

Any way, i guess we will learn more in the next chapter. There's a high chance that Kinemon explain to the Straw hats his story if he want to stick with them (unless Oda show us Dofla or the mysterious shadow).

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Momo was not captured. He was a stowaway, sneaking on board a ship bound for Punk Hazard.

chess4

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

I think the Wano is in trouble, and Momo took it upon himself to leave the island to help cure the problem. Kinemon came after his son to bring him back. Now as far as whats going on Wano, I think there is a deeper reason why they are sectioned off. I think they are the keeping something from leaving the island.

I think one of the level 6 prisioners is on the island manipulating some type of creature, so the samurai cant fight back. Either way will find out soon enough. I am excited to see the Samurai.

I think that Zoro will shine bright this arc

alisdfd

Reaction score
Country
England

i like the idea of the level 6 prisoners who are holding wano captive. i think the samurai's at the island are not fighting due to the fear towards Dragons or a ritual respect whereby they see the Dragon as God thus they are forced to perform sadistic rituals. i am predicting that it is ruled by a dragon or a mysterious person who have a dragon DF. Also, like Rymua Zoro will defeat the dragon.

Mr. Arashi

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Chile

No. The second Romance Dawn one shot is a separate story. In the second version of Romance Dawn, Luffy receives his Strawhat from his Grandfather, who looks like Garp. The character design was merely recycled though, neither of the Romance Dawn pilots are considered canon. Monsters is canonical One Piece. Ryuma, the Samurai from the Thriller Bark arc, is confirmed to be the main character from Monsters. He wants us to see Monsters as the same story as One Piece, Romance Dawn as a separate story.
Thanks Kaiten, but still i read "stories" a plural meant has been given for those.

Schabrak

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany

About the place/village in Monsters looking different: Centuries have passed so the architecture could have just as easily too, just like in our world.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters

About the place/village in Monsters looking different: Centuries have passed so the architecture could have just as easily too, just like in our world.
Hmm? So it changed from a western setting in which Samurais exist into feudal Japan? I kind of doubt that.