Manhwa - [Webtoon] Solo Leveling | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Manhwa [Webtoon] Solo Leveling

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

Genre : Action, Adventure ,Fantasy ,Horror ,Psychological ,Shounen ,Supernatural

Description : 10 years ago, after “the Gate” that connected the real world with the monster world opened, some of the ordinary, everyday people received the power to hunt monsters within the Gate. They are known as "Hunters". However, not all Hunters are powerful. My name is Sung Jin-Woo, an E-rank Hunter. I'm someone who has to risk his life in the lowliest of dungeons, the "World's Weakest". Having no skills whatsoever to display, I barely earned the required money by fighting in low-leveled dungeons… at least until I found a hidden dungeon with the hardest difficulty within the D-rank dungeons! In the end, as I was accepting death, I suddenly received a strange power, a quest log that only I could see, a secret to leveling up that only I know about! If I trained in accordance with my quests and hunted monsters, my level would rise. Changing from the weakest Hunter to the strongest S-rank Hunter!

Publication : https://page.kakao.com/home/50866481
Other Source of Raw Scans
Edited Manga
: http://merakiscans.com/solo-leveling/

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Have been reading it for some time now. It seems like a line between a good story and a fan fiction. The MC is abnormally powerful with super abnormal growth rate to have anything at stake.

kidopitz27

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It looks like Webnovel (Qidian Int'l) is holding out the novel chapters of it. The Translator claimed that he got a lot of chapters translated but he still can't get the green light to release them.

I hope it will be released released in WuxiaWorld because they already got the agreement for the Korean side about the share of money they can get from translating their novels to english.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just started this at the recommendation of @Eracuel.

It's early for me still but it's been pretty fun so far.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

All caught up. Interesting series. Really nice art style.

Though I wish it would tone down the protagonists arrogance a bit. Like he come across as strangely full of himself for a guy who just discovered a cheat ability. Also it's kinda strange that in the beginning it mentions his motivation for doing what he does is his sick mother but then that is just never mentioned again.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
@Jammin in Agreed it feels like a gary stu MC which i really dont like The plot is good so i suppose i cant drop it just like that as yet but i dont like the MC.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Jammin in Agreed it feels like a gary stu MC which i really dont like The plot is good so i suppose i cant drop it just like that as yet but i dont like the MC.
There is definite potential here. Like the current arc with him taking his sister's friend as an apprentice of sorts and this new healer girl is interesting too. The millionaire kid is pretty entertaining as well. There is a lot that could be built off of.

If they could just ease up on the attitude with the MC I feel like this could be an awesome comic.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Ease up the MC and reduce his growth rate. I mean this is just too abnormal a rise. He rose from E rank to A rank in around 50 chapters almost. That is too much. Even Bam doesnt have that kind of growth curve :p

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ease up the MC and reduce his growth rate. I mean this is just too abnormal a rise. He rose from E rank to A rank in around 50 chapters almost. That is too much. Even Bam doesnt have that kind of growth curve :p
It's pretty extreme but I've seen more drastic. Weed in Legendary Moonlight Sculptor got fast stronger than this guy (and has a remarkably similar origin story). The difference was the Weed was a crazy person. Pride is just another thing he would sell if he could because he is the greediest and cheapest bastard in history.:XD

This guy doesn't have the wrinkle too him yet. I'm hoping the supporting cast can provide that a little bit.

Eracuel

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Slovakia
Just started this at the recommendation of @Eracuel.

It's early for me still but it's been pretty fun so far.

All caught up. Interesting series. Really nice art style.

Though I wish it would tone down the protagonists arrogance a bit. Like he come across as strangely full of himself for a guy who just discovered a cheat ability. Also it's kinda strange that in the beginning it mentions his motivation for doing what he does is his sick mother but then that is just never mentioned again.
I am really glad to hear that. It is a fun series, it had an amazing start, but I completely agree with you on the arrogance part. It is based on the novel, which I had to read because at some point I just couldn't stand the cliffhangers. The webtoon pretty much follows the original novel, which is great, there are some minor changes, but I think these are positive ones.

Now for the arrogance, without spoiling the series, it is supposed to be the "charm of the Oppa-character", with which the koreans seem to be so much obsessed with. :noworry

His arrogance at this point is nothing compared to what it will be like later on. It makes me really sad, that the author was influenced by historical grudges between Korea and Japan, Korea and the USA, and finally Korea and the World, and depicting Korea as looked down upon by others but in fact way superior to everyone.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wuxia protagonists often do a similar thing. It's a cultural difference I think in the way Pride is treated.

Which is not a dealbreaker for me, honestly. The supporting cast needs to take more of the weight off though. Which I guess is the challenge of the "solo" part. A character like that fighting for himself is a little rough but if he's protecting and teaching people. That's something I can get behind. And I feel like it's taken some first steps toward that.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Wuxia protagonists often do a similar thing. It's a cultural difference I think in the way Pride is treated.
Oh boy i hate Wuxia protagonists. Bunch of Gary stus with no power cap nor proper growth in character. Automatically become best at everything and if there is something he is not good at there will be something else which is much more superior than this thing which he is the best at.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh boy i hate Wuxia protagonists. Bunch of Gary stus with no power cap nor proper growth in character. Automatically become best at everything and if there is something he is not good at there will be something else which is much more superior than this thing which he is the best at.
You just reminded me of Magician.:XD

I'm going to catch back up on that someday. I mean, it has to have gotten better than when we dropped it right?

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I really liked that white haired sword fighter in Magician but the way it focused on Eldermask and esp that red spiky haired girl with bad personality pissed me off.

EmberSpirit

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Agree with the concerns above.

I thought I was in for a decent read with how that first level was going. It is really good at going downhill, because this author takes a turn for the kind of settings I dislike the most.

Main character is really bad. Doing everything by himself while everyone else is reduced to a spectator commenting on his awesomeness, fucking great. My bad for not realizing what they were going for with the title "Solo Leveling", but they should've made it more obvious.

This is the type of story where you watch a single author's wet dream easily take on any kind of "challenge" being thrown at him in the most boring fashion possible. If stale characters with nothing going for them other than their cheat power is the type of thing you like or if you enjoy watching paint dry, then this might be for you.

Also necromancy? Sorry but that's just meh from me.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Also necromancy? Sorry but that's just meh from me.
Well Necromancy isnt bad tbh, not the type of power we associate with heroes usually but he used it quite decently against these elves.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well Necromancy isnt bad tbh, not the type of power we associate with heroes usually but he used it quite decently against these elves.
It is a boring power to read/watch. It's also an excuse for this author to further the "solo" aspect of the title. Watch necromanced units get more use than actual characters.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, to the artists credit, he is making it look fantastic. The badass Ring Wraith thing is definitely awesome.

Can't romance a zombie though... I don't like that.

shaheer

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Yeah the solo aspect is getting more and more prominent with this kind of power. I dun like necromncy that much but this one seems to be quite something.

EmberSpirit

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
New chapter is out. It doesn't look good. I am dropping this one. The only grace is the art, but that alone doesn't save it for me. This webtoon became another boring wish fulfillment garbage. So many of these lately.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I didn't go into this expecting a world class narrative. The art is gorgeous, characters are pretty awesome. A great action read.