Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Toriko should get interesting enough after the arc that you read, the arc of chapter 30-55 is good as a buildup to the plot and you shold get information about what is the "Gourmet cells" which is essential later on, if you want to get staright to the point I suggest you start at chapter 56.

Just like if people don't get into OP in the beginning some of us would recommend starting with the Arlong arc what I'm offering you with Toriko would be equivalent to starting OP in the Kreig arc.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Sket Dance is a really good comedy with a crazy characters cast. I think I prefer it over Gintama now but I'm probably the exception.
If you start, you should definitively give it a try until the first flashback or the Kaimei festival (~45 chapters) if after this you still don't like it, it's not really necessary to continue.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

[koen]I had to spoiler tag several posts containing the ending page of Bakuman. Keep in mind that these are spoilers, some members don't want to be spoiled and thus make sure that spoiler tags are used.

I hope for your understanding[/koen]
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

So sad the Bakuman is ending, though am looking forward to see what author's new project is going to be. Very happy that Pajama is in the top 5. Any more info on the three new series that will be starting up?
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

WSJ is probably not too happy about the authors wanted to end it and putting it down there is their kind of revenge :P
Still, this is a sudden end... I'd have hoped for one chapter more. Well, hope the epilogue is good.
That makes no sense. Every single series ended that same way, except Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and Ring ni Kakero.
And sorry if you disagree, but Bakuman is nothing to Shonen Jump compared with those three series. (not so sure about Ring no Kakero).
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I don't understand how chapter 1 was on 14th place and 2d so high, there was not that much difference between the 2 in the plot. I even found the second one quite uninteresting. Jump readers are a mystery.
But Sket Dance high rank is good and now that Bakuman has left it leaves a place in the middle top of the TOC

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

That makes no sense. Every single series ended that same way, except Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and Ring ni Kakero.
And sorry if you disagree, but Bakuman is nothing to Shonen Jump compared with those three series. (not so sure about Ring no Kakero).
There has been no serie with a color page for last chapter that was that low on the TOC, most of them where around the 10th place. And it's not as if Bakuman ranked that poorly recently, I'm not sure the reason is the one Nayroael said though.
 

hao-sama

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
46
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Bakuman to end this chapter. If you think about it, both the first and last chapters have a proposal in it. They really went full-circle, except now their dreams are fulfilled. What a nice touch.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

That makes no sense. Every single series ended that same way, except Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and Ring ni Kakero.
And sorry if you disagree, but Bakuman is nothing to Shonen Jump compared with those three series. (not so sure about Ring no Kakero).
Were they all positioned in Bottom 5 (probably should have noted that I talked only about this part)? CP's in general are rarely there and last thing I'd expect would be for a well doing manga that just ended to get such a low position.

Seeing as the sales were very good and its positioning generally very good as well, getting a position in Bottom 5 instead of middle is just weird.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Bakuman's ending will probably be good for the bottom dwelling series. I'm sure a fair amount of readers only read the top and don't even bother with the bottom, so a lot of the lower series will end up getting exposure. But I'm sure its TOC position is WSJ's dick move because the authors didn't want to stretch it out.
 

gananime

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2011
Messages
105
Reaction score
8
Gender
Hidden
Country
India
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Toriko should get interesting enough after the arc that you read, the arc of chapter 30-55 is good as a buildup to the plot and you shold get information about what is the "Gourmet cells" which is essential later on, if you want to get staright to the point I suggest you start at chapter 56.

Just like if people don't get into OP in the beginning some of us would recommend starting with the Arlong arc what I'm offering you with Toriko would be equivalent to starting OP in the Kreig arc.
That figures. You're right, the earlier arcs weren't that interesting indeed! Alright I'll read on till those chapters and hopefully Toriko would become a regular weekly jump manga for me like OP ^^ Thank you!


Sket Dance is a really good comedy with a crazy characters cast. I think I prefer it over Gintama now but I'm probably the exception.
If you start, you should definitively give it a try until the first flashback or the Kaimei festival (~45 chapters) if after this you still don't like it, it's not really necessary to continue.
Wow Sket Dance over Gintama? That has really made me curious! I'll check it out, thanks for the response ^^
 

Kubukurin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2010
Messages
181
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Another romcom and Nisekoi gets his worst rank so far. I'm pissed, right now Jump needs good detective story or a dark story or a slice of life, not new gag manga (PSI) or new romcom.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Another romcom and Nisekoi gets his worst rank so far. I'm pissed, right now Jump needs good detective story or a dark story or a slice of life, not new gag manga (PSI) or new romcom.
Not sure about dark and slice of life, but detective genre doesn't work in Jump. If Jump really wants to put the detective series, then it have to be combined with fantasy and/or action.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Aren't detective manga out of style in general? I can't think of any newly serialized detective manga in any magazine, let alone Jump. All I can think of are leftovers from the 90's like Conan, Kindaichi, and Q.E.D. A mystery or suspense manga would be fun, but I can't really think of many examples of that genre in Jump.

---------- Post added at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 AM ----------

Does anyone have any more information on the new series? Have the mangaka done previous series or one shots, anything we might have heard of?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Aren't detective manga out of style in general? I can't think of any newly serialized detective manga in any magazine, let alone Jump. All I can think of are leftovers from the 90's like Conan, Kindaichi, and Q.E.D. A mystery or suspense manga would be fun, but I can't really think of many examples of that genre in Jump.
I think the only successful detective series Jump was Neuro. There were other detective series in Jump like Sakon and Shonen Tantei Q; but, I don't think they were successful.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Does anyone have any more information on the new series? Have the mangaka done previous series or one shots, anything we might have heard of?
Looking forward to Balge, I hope it fares better than Oumagadoki.
Like Tomahawk said Balge is by Kouhei Horikoshi, Oumagadoki Zoo mangaka.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Does anyone have any more information on the new series? Have the mangaka done previous series or one shots, anything we might have heard of?
All of new series had a pilot version before.

There is a rumor that Sakamoto Tsugirou (story author for Koisome Kouyou) is Sakamoto Yuujirou, the author of Takaya -Senbu Gakuen Gekidou-den- from 2005.

Asou Shuuichi did two series before (Boku no Watashi no Yuushagaku (2007) and Shinseiki Idol Densetsu Kanata Seven Change (2009)).

Horikoshi Kouhei was the author of Oumagadoki Doubutsuen from 2010.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Asuka0112

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
China
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Koisome is a pretty good oneshot and it should be just a oneshot. There's no need serializing this kind of manga. I've seen before hand that it will end up like Harisugawa >.<.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Koisome is a pretty good oneshot and it should be just a oneshot.
I'm curious which one shot that Koisome will follow, either from Next! version or Jump version. I, personally, favor the Next! version.
 

Asuka0112

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 23, 2012
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Age
32
Gender
Female
Country
China
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I'm curious which one shot that Koisome will follow, either from Next! version or Jump version. I, personally, favor the Next! version.
There is another version on Jnext :gwah? Do they have the same setting or compeletely different?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top