Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

7sun

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
47
Reaction score
3
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I like this toc, sket dance is high. wow naruto is first again
and I don't know nisekoi but looking forward for it :D
 

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

beelzebub and nura ;_;. i guess at this point beel might as well be a resident of the bottom which is not good but its tank sales and anime should be enough to keep it going...unless it pulls a shamen king and gets axed despite the anime and tank sales same thing for nura but its anime is ending soon. nice to see sket dance in the top 5 though same thing for gintama. medaka box's ranking is okay though im looking foreward to seeing last weeks chapter ranked.
 

Nayrael

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2010
Messages
305
Reaction score
159
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Croatia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

beelzebub and nura ;_;. i guess at this point beel might as well be a resident of the bottom which is not good but its tank sales and anime should be enough to keep it going...unless it pulls a shamen king and gets axed despite the anime and tank sales same thing for nura but its anime is ending soon. nice to see sket dance in the top 5 though same thing for gintama. medaka box's ranking is okay though im looking foreward to seeing last weeks chapter ranked.
From what I saw, the problem with Shaman King was that its Tankobon sales started falling after a certain volume. No matter how high the number, if numbers fall from volume to volume, I am pretty sure that Tank sales can no longer be used as a shield.
 

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

From what I saw, the problem with Shaman King was that its Tankobon sales started falling after a certain volume. No matter how high the number, if numbers fall from volume to volume, I am pretty sure that Tank sales can no longer be used as a shield.
ya i guess that makes sence. maybe once the new arc starts getting good its rankings should increase plus there are still some series that are failing that could be used as pillows if worst comes to worst.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

We could see it happen about right now with Reborn which has declined from 480K+- to 350K+- and Bleach which has declined from 850-950K to recent volume which in 2 weeks sold less than 500K , the following 2 years will be interesting in the manga world.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Susanoo is right. Also Bakuman and and Toriko and I think Sket Dance have been going up more and more each volume since their animes have started.
Toriko's last volume sold around 350K, Bakuman is at like 430K but isn't off the charts yet last I checked, and Sket Dance is around 200K.
 
Last edited:

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2


Nayrael wrote:

From what I saw, the problem with Shaman King was that its Tankobon sales started falling after a certain volume. No matter how high the number, if numbers fall from volume to volume, I am pretty sure that Tank sales can no longer be used as a shield.
I don't exactly remember where I read this (IIRC I read it on the last volume of Shaman King mexican edition, though I think it would have been included in the normal japanese releases too) but apparently Shueisha decided to put the last volume of SK on hold and made a poll of sorts and if 50,000 or so people didn't show interest on buying the last SK volume then it wouldn't be printed..
If this is true (Sorry for my bad memory folks) then it was selling very, very, veryyy bad.

Andyislands should know about this.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Although SK has it's own section in Mangahelpers i would still like to ask it here, the decline of both Reborn! and Bleach could be explained very easily and as someone who has only watched SK anime and has not read the manga, was there even an end in sight before it got cancelled or did it go "poof" in the middle of a fight or something? also I read the TOC's of the years SK was published and saw that it was a middle tier more or less, what caused it to drop to the bottom in your opinion?
 

BianchiChrome

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
111
Age
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hello! :amuse

I believe that the sells for Reborn! manga will start to get stronger again. I feel that the current arc will get more people to buy the manga. The thing that will help Reborn! manga to sell even more is more promotion by Shonen Jump for the series. I am still hoping that the anime for Reborn! will come back again. I feel that would help a lot. However I feel that the current arc with some good promotion will help to sell more copies of Reborn! manga.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Didn't Reborn! lose like 100,000 readers in the past year or two? Ouch. Series don't suddenly regain sales this far down the line. Reborn! lost its Anime, had a few bumpy arcs, and its ending is nowhere near in sight. Fatigue is definitely settling in. More and more people will drop it the longer it goes on, and new readers won't bother picking it up because it's so long.

The same goes for Bleach, but on a much lower scale because Bleach is more popular. Bleach's sales peaked a few years ago, so it's going to steadily go downhill, but it still has an Anime and general popularity to help its sales remain adequate.

I wonder when One Piece will peak? Bleach and Reborn! are still going strong and they both already peaked. One Piece still tops itself with each new volume!
 

Haato

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
100
Reaction score
64
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

@BianchiChrome: yeesh, one thing can always be expected whenever Reborn is even mentioned you're always there to say something about how it will improve or how it needs more promotion and such XD not bashing you or anything, I just find it interesting lol

@susanoo13:My personal opinion is that SK started going down the drain around volume 13 or so, I absolutely loved the anime, but the manga was kinda meh about halfway through, so Jump readers were much more patient with the series than I was lol
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Not to be a bummer..as much as I like this ToC I still feel sad because
Beelzebub and mago are always hanging at the bottom 5 or just above it.
They are both great series and I hope one day they will reach their individual "peaks" too.
Is sket dance taking over gintama role as the funniest manga in Jump :blink but I guess both series
have its own audience.
Naruto is on a roll. Although I'm not enjoying the war arc as much I'm still happy since its prob the final arc of the manga.

Bleach is high again, it's old news but I don't think its ever going to fall as low as before again.
Double arts author is here?! :wtf
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

What Jaymie said. REBORN has lost its anime adaptation and a good portion of its readers, and from what I have heard the last couple of arcs have been not-too-good and I have also heard the newest arc seems like a good conclusion to the series (Sure, it could take long, like a year?).
Also I think by now any anime studio could have at least released some REBORN! OVAs.. Heck even D-Gray Man that IIRC is a better seller than REBORN! could have been released as more OVAs (Maybe they want to make other anime when more chapters are available?)..

As for BLEACH, sure its sales might have declined but it still has its anime and.. Its BLEACH.
 

BianchiChrome

MH Senpai
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
111
Age
52
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hello! :amuse

I feel that I am one of the few people who try to stand up for Reborn! and I believe that if the series was given more promotion and attention then it would get stronger sells and other things.

I go to a lot of image boards and Reborn! is very popular on them. I know that does not translate into more sells but there is foundation for Shonen Jump and others to build on. I mean there was a poll in Japan once that asked females to name the anime male that they wanted to marry and Kyoya Hibari was number one many times. Hibari is extremely popular character that many artists draw. The rest of the cast of Reborn! also is popular with many fan artists.

I also feel that the current arc can only get stronger too. I mean many series have great fights but with this arc I feel that the upcoming fights will be the kind that will be random and interesting. There maybe some fights that happen that the fans have wanted to see happen. The current arc has also brought back many fan favorites that were lost in the Future arc. I know that the fans are happy to see them back. The last arc was a bit uneven in places but I kind of think that it was because maybe Amamo thought that she wanted to do the arc that she is about to do with this one.

I just see a diamond in the rough with Reborn! that if it were to be truly brought out could shine. I will keep standing up for it because I believe in the story and want to see it get more attention.
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

By the way, here's some Oricon numbers so that people don't think I'm pulling numbers out of my nose.

February 3-9 2009: Reborn! sold 358k copies (Bleach sold 607k!)

October 3-9 2011: Reborn! sold 239k copies. (Bleach sold 400k!)

So I'm not being unreasonable by saying that it lost that many readers. Reborn! did lose 100k readers - in fact, it lost 120k, which is even worse. I know a lot of people feel strongly about Reborn! (I'm prepared to receive even more angry PMs after making this post), but in WSJ standards it's past its due date. Promoting it would just take away from one of their new properties with potential to grow. Blue Exorcist is a SQ manga, but just look at how much it's blown up in the past year. It sells twice as much as Reborn! and it's only three years old.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

hm, for a long time I've honestly thought that since Reborn seems to be at its biggest arc and seems to be making use of every character, that it's truly reaching its conclusion by at most next year. It had a really good run, and it would end on a good note.
 
Last edited:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

@jaymie: i was about to ask where did u get the numbers lol. As someone who had gotten angry, incomprehensible PMs from fan dumbs, i know what you mean. But people like that are the one with blind faith and can't see how much it suffered. For years i've heard a lot of long time fans rage quitting the manga. And i have seen how the quality and popularity decline rapidly over the years. I thought it was merely the vocal minority, but looking at the sales number (if it is accurate), apparently not. Well, the last one and half arc is the worst thing i have ever read compared to all other mangas out there... No wonder a lot of people are dissatisfied. Lately, khr had gotten very interesting again, and i do hope it'll end in a dignified and memorable manner.
Khr had been very popular a few years back, not many mangakas can achieve that... So yeah, kudos to Amano-sensei.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

You can't really judge by just the one first week. Some stay on the charts longer than others and may sell more in the long run. Obviously they don't post past 50th place or so publically. But if you see the volume's total before they were off the charts that's a better idea of the sales (Usually below 50th place is less than 10,000 anyhow. Though some series sell only in the long term and never even get on the charts. That doesn't generally apply when talking about Jump though).
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

オリコン2009年年間コミック総合ランキング
コミック TOP200 調査期間:2008/12/01付~2009/11/30付(2008/11/17~2009/11/22)
Oricon 2009 Top 200 Sales
27 641,155 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 23
29 633,052 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 24
34 587,871 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 25
42 520,281 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 26

オリコン2010年上半期コミック
Oricon 2010 First Half Top 50 Sales
17 *,583,082 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 27
19 *,554,355 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 28
26 *,486,435 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 29

== From Oricon 2010 Top 200 sales ==
30 *,604,235 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 27
31 *,593,897 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 28
34 *,582,651 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 29
44 *,543,878 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 30
66 *,451,930 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 31

オリコン 2011年上半期コミック総合TOP50
Oricon 2011 First half Top 50 Sales
29 *,462,581 10/12 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 32
32 *,424,355 11/03 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 33
36 *,381,424 11/05 家庭教師ヒットマンREBORN! 34
Basically a 650K range ~> 450K range.
Reborn may be able to retain its reader base with the current arc, but I doubt it'll be able to grow any at this point.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top