Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

It is too early to consider Magico and Harisugawa to get since they didn't even reached one year yet. I think there going to be at least one year blank for anime adaptation from now on, unless they decide to reboot, start second season, or animate the old ones.
Well HxH got a reboot, so no more reboot for now this year. Anyway, I hope we could get a new Anime-adaption for the first Naruto-Part and also for the Bleach-anime ( fillers >.> ).

What do you mean to animate the old ones ?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

What do you mean to animate the old ones ?
Like old series that didn't got an anime, like Level E.
 

TemplateR

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
883
Reaction score
244
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Germany

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Ah ok, but Level E did get an anime ^^
That's the point.
He said that old series like Level E,which didn't get an anime before,might get one now.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

A Re-animation of Kenshin is a possibility if the movie that is out this december might do good enough, a re-animation of Toriko which will have blood by UFOtable would be good but we don't have a chance for that, an animation for Psyren is a long shot yet possible or a final season of Eyeshield 21.
 
Last edited:

SoulEaterFreak

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2011
Messages
93
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Overall I guess 2010 really was a failure for JUMP.
I don't think so...just because the number of people who liked the 2010 manga wasn't big enough for the series to continue in the magazine should not mean it was a failure...when I think of 2010 Jump Manga the first one in my head is Oumagadoki Doubutsuen which I really enjoyed.

And of course it's difficult to get good positions in a magazine with One Piece & company, so most of the manga that got canceled would have had a good/better chance in other magazines (in my opinion~...and I think everyone knows this). It's never a failure if none of the new series doesn't manage to survive for a long (or short) time, because there are always people who enjoy reading at least one of them and that alone makes it a success and naturally, gives experience to the mangaka so that we can hope for new manga.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

A failure from a business standpoint maybe, and sure the series did end up failing in the end, but I don't think you should call 2010 a complete failure, they were still enjoyable reads.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

As business, 2010 going to be failure year for Shonen Jump.

However as entertainment, it has different point of views because some may say all of 2010 series are bad and some may say some of them are pretty enjoyable.
 

Cavallone Dino

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 13, 2011
Messages
15
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
Saudi Arabia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

beelze in bottom ><"
Reborn rank is good !
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2


Negative Syndicate wrote:

Yes, D.Gray-man is currently second highest selling series in SQ. However, I wonder if Shin Prince of Tennis can take that place by boost from its anime.
Well.. I think it will get a boost.
IMO its.. kinda weird how mangas lose lots of readers when they change magazines, I mean D Gray changing to SQ and losing readers and now Prince of Tennis which basically changed magazine to SQ and has lost some (lots) of readers, although To Love Ru has retained its readers, they are the most deboted, for ecchiness!! Correct me if I am wrong.

Asclepius wrote:@perroloco - Lenalee's hair is long again. But we are at volume 22, a long way to catch up and... you have to survive chapter 187 and the Kanda arc.
! Lenalee!! :D
But I don't think I will go through the hassle of buying the volumes (Or reading Edited Mangas, for that matter..) because I didn't drop the manga because of Lenalee's hairdo change (LOL, maybe my earlier post suggested otherwise) I stopped reading it because quite frankly I just couldn't get into the story.. The battles were dull (IMO) and to tell the truth I couldn't understand the drawings, I literally COULDN'T undestand what was going on in some battles, maybe because of Hoshino's style.. Too sophistacated for my tastes maybe.

Bomber D Ruffi wrote:

I disagree. If you mean popularity wise, no way. I love Gintama, but it will never EVER be what Kochi kame is. If you mean length wise, that too is a negatory. Gintama's got maybe a year or two left before it ends. Recent events in the manga seem to indicate that Sorachi's ready to start wrapping things up.
I agree with you, Gintama should end. It should have already ended if we take in account what Sorachi had said back when Gintama was starting, but it hasn't. I said it could very well be, its not unheard of manga stories resolving their plot and continuing, a recent example being BLEACH. And while Gintama isn't episodic like Kochikame it could very well continue many, many years.

As for Kochikame's "popularity", well It doesn´t sell as explosive as other JUMP titles, it must be a slow but steady seller since it has sold a lot of volumes (If wikipedia is to trust Kochi has 176 volumes and has sold 135,000,000 copies which is 767,045 average per volume) yet whenever I see the first week sales of its volumes it sells around 50,000, but as I say it must be a steady seller to reach those many millions. (Maybe the 135,000,000 is counting the Kamedas and stuff like that?)

Also, checking a 2005 post it had 143 published volumes and 130,000,000 copies sold, this means that in 6 and a half years and 33 volumes later it has "only" sold 5,000,000 more volumes (And we should take in account that there were other 143 volumes being sold, obviously they wouldn´t sell as much as newer volumes, but they should sell little amounts). And also the average was 909,090 per volume.

With those facts I think is fair to say Kochikame is more a national culture icon of sorts than a big seller, its more for being the longest manga, being on print more time means it will sell more volumes with time, and as I said I think Gintama could very well manage to do that.

I have been wrting about Kochikame, I don´t exactly know how many volumes Gintama sells, but it should more or less sell like 1,000,000 per volume, apparently its first volume got to the 1,000,000 mark when the anime began (2007) and wikipedia (I know, super reliable) says that in december 2009, being 31 volumes long it had sold 29,000,000 (935,483 volumes average).

I would like to know why you think Gintama could never be as popular? Do you still think it couldn´t be as "popular" as Kochikame is if Gintama continued to run say another 20 years?


Zeromcd wrote:

I have a huge collection (800 volumes+) of the Shounen Jump Japanese Tankobon that I decided to go through and find out the amount of printings the volumes have had.
Is that post like the first and last printing each series has had?
Also I suggest you buy Ring Ni Kakero, from the same mangaka who did Saint Seiya, is cool.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

New Komi Naoshi series... at long last. I'm kinda feeling an Ashirogi Muto scenario here, though, where he tries a romance/comedy series while his true forte is fantasy adventure; but I may be wrong. Despite my general misgivings, I did quite enjoy the one-shot.
Don't forget that he has done romantic-comedy before: Koi no Kami-Sama may have had supernatural elements but was a love story at heart. Nisekoi will add yakuza elements to the romantic comedy genre instead of super natural.

With Enigma gone, I wonder if St&rs can stay just high enough to be the next P2, or maybe the next Sket Dance. As long as two or three other new series can stay below it, St&rs might be able to last long enough to establish a fanbase.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

So far, what WSJ needs in permanent bottom dweller, which can be cushion for other series, like St&rs and Kagami. I feel like Pakky going to take that place (although it didn't started yet).
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

[Cross];2646675 said:
A failure from a business standpoint maybe, and sure the series did end up failing in the end, but I don't think you should call 2010 a complete failure, they were still enjoyable reads.
I agree that they were enjoyable reads and I liked quite a few series from that year. But I was kind of talking from a business standpoint. Also when i said "rushed adaptions" I didn;t mean like right now. I meant that they might try pushing out those series with an anime adaption a little over a year after seralization instead of waiting two or more like most series.

Of course the odds are much better that JUMP may just decide to dust off and animate an old series. In a just world Psyren would be that series, but I know it;s just wishful thinking. even if they did take into account that the series is doing well in the states.

Though I guess we should see what happens before making grand decisions
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Reading posts of 2010 being bad.. Well for WSJ I don´t think it was bad with OP breaking record after record, sure WSJ needs to make a big-hit for when one of their big series ends, hopefully in 2012 a big-hit will be published! :D
IMO JUMP needs another Yu-Gi-Oh! a manga that sells "toys" and whose anime can continue to market the "toys". And as the age of the readers has been increasing maybe JUMP should try with darker or more violent manga??
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

And as the age of the readers has been increasing maybe JUMP should try with darker or more violent manga??
I don't think so. It is Shonen Jump; its main target is teenage boys, so Jump has to keep as same level as present.
 

OPN

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 12, 2011
Messages
164
Reaction score
19
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

on the subject of what jump manga could become anime i think its likely for psyren to become one given it has enough material but i doubt it would happen but maybe it could. kochikame could also get a new anime assuming enough material is available.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I don't think so. It is Shonen Jump; its main target is teenage boys, so Jump has to keep as same level as present.
Of course,but one or two series with lots of blood and violence wouldn't hurt.I mean,I'm seventeen and I'd like to read a Shonen that is darker and all,but still Shonen.
Currently,the darkest JUMP series I can think of would be HxH.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

@Googlez_kun:
Indeed, have you read this week chapter? DARK. lol

And what I meant is violence like 80s manga violence, think Hokuto No Ken or Otokojuku, things that might catch readers that are now on the average age.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Of course,but one or two series with lots of blood and violence wouldn't hurt.I mean,I'm seventeen and I'd like to read a Shonen that is darker and all,but still Shonen.
Currently,the darkest JUMP series I can think of would be HxH.
But lots of blood and violent will be a problem. If the publisher did put those kind of series in magazine, then that might cause angry mob from PTA and/or others. The publisher has to keep blood and violent series for Seinen magazine, only.

Hunter x Hunter is a dark shonen series, but I think it still keeps the limit for being shonen manga.

And what I meant is violence like 80s manga violence, think Hokuto No Ken or Otokojuku, things that might catch readers that are now on the average age.
Yes they are violent mangas, but the time has changed. I don't think those kind of manga will not be acceptible in today.

So, I want to know what the others also think about Hokuto no Ken and Otokojoku to be serialized in Shonen Jump in a present time (2011 and 2012).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

As perroloco already mentioned,there were several dark series like this in the past.

Do you remember how dark the beginning of Yu-Gi-Oh! was?Now it's a kiddies show.I don't know if you read Bakuman,but I agree with Fukuda.JUMP got too soft,it needs some gritty action series with sweat,blood and guts.

@perroloco
Lol,yeah.I thought I was reading a manga by Junji Ito.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top