Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintakun

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
36
Reaction score
5
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Magico looks promising, it was the only one that caught my attention. (The hat of the protagonist kinda remembers me from Go Nagai's "Dororon Enma-Kun")

And "Dois Sol", I only want to check it, because of the name, i want to know if the title is derived from Portuguese. =]
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Not because they decide what they think SHOULD be somewhere or other.
Kuroko begs to differ, though... (They just kept on pushing it until people felt forced to buy the tankoubon. xD)

Besides, Jaguar wasn't incredibly popular anyhow. It usually sold like 200K a volume. It's completely unfair to be saying that.
Oh, c'mon... now you're being unfair to say stuff like that about Usuta. I mean, Jaguar was pretty popular for a Gag Manga. Those 200k are like what? 7 times what Inumaru dashi manages to sell after more than two years.
Plus, it's not like Usuta only had Jaguar. His Sexy Commando Gaiden - Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san was incredibly popular, managing to do greatly TOC-wise and showing some really amazing sales numbers. (Like half of the volumes having a first printing of 700k...)

Not like I'm sayin' Sakaki's success is due to her being Usuta's sweetheart. But considering how well Usuta did in JUMP the thought is really not that far off...
Personally, I think it's nice to see JUMP bolstering promising new series. If they'd done that more often back when they rather chose giving color pages to Kubo every other week we would be able to see a lot more old "new faces" today, I guess.

//Sorry for the OT.^^"
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Jaguars one of the most famous modern gag manga, it deserved immunity. Best way to judge it's greatness: nothing was given immunity in it's place.
 

Nintakun

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 24, 2010
Messages
36
Reaction score
5
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Oh, c'mon... now you're being unfair to say stuff like that about Usuta. I mean, Jaguar was pretty popular for a Gag Manga. Those 200k are like what? 7 times what Inumaru dashi manages to sell after more than two years.
Plus, it's not like Usuta only had Jaguar. His Sexy Commando Gaiden - Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san was incredibly popular, managing to do greatly TOC-wise and showing some really amazing sales numbers. (Like half of the volumes having a first printing of 700k...)
Wow! Was Masaru-san so popular in the sales?! I didn't Know that, i know it was one of the top-tiers in the ToCs, but i didn't Know about the sales. Well, the series really deserves it , it's my favorite Gag Manga (But i'm a little suspect to say, being an Usuta's Fanboy =P)
I Really want to see a new series from him, I miss Jaguar very much.
 

soDeq05

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
976
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Little Info About Jump #11

DOIS SOL by Katsutoshi Murase (Lead CP)
Kuroko no Basuke (CP)
Bleach (CP)
Enigma (CP)


Special:
ONE PIECE ONE PIECE arm porch & Mini autograph present!!
ONE PIECE Special post card!!
ONE PIECE Memorial crew card
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Asa: I-Revo was really good! Try it sometime.

drmke had been urging me to read Sengoku Armor for a while, now that it's getting serialized I tried it. The one shot was solid but has the potential to be a great serialization. Vast hordes and mercenaries fighting to collect the keys could be a great story if done well. It could easily become generic action trash, of course. No real opinions on the others. I can't really get much of an idea from the little pic but it looks like there is an outside chance that Magico's art isn't generic shonen style. If the art has any personality I'll give it a try.
I sure will! Thanks. :)

For any new series this year, I hope it will fare better than 2010. Sengoku ARMOR was pretty good for a one-shot, but of course there's always room for improvement. Hopefully the readers will give it a chance for progression since the concept sounds interesting enough. Guess it depends on how it's executed under the pressure of serialization.
 

fujitofu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 28, 2007
Messages
11
Reaction score
15
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
does anyone know what's the deal with the one piece post cards in jump? they have little squares cut out from them
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
does anyone know what's the deal with the one piece post cards in jump? they have little squares cut out from them
I'm not sure what you mean by cut out squares, but the images on the postcard change from the steam. For example this character on the far-right changes from a black dress to a white bathing suit (lingerie?).
 

zidane

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
1,497
Reaction score
1,162
Gender
Male
Country
Antarctica
They are physically cut out, Asariii - the postcard is just... full of holes, and I'd like to know too. >.> I guess it's some sort of game though, on the flipside you got tiny squares with OP characters in them, next to the holes.

Edit: Check this page: http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/68833748/21
That's a postcard, and the white squares are just from the paper behind it, in reality they are holes.
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
They are physically cut out, Asariii - the postcard is just... full of holes, and I'd like to know too. >.> I guess it's some sort of game though, on the flipside you got tiny squares with OP characters in them, next to the holes.

Edit: Check this page: http://mangastream.com/read/one_piece/68833748/21
That's a postcard, and the white squares are just from the paper behind it, in reality they are holes.
The answer is on this website: http://www.2oku.jp/ :tem

If you watch the opening flash animation you'll see that certain panels from the manga (typified by the characters making epic statements :p) and as you can see, the holes in the postcard in the animation will isolate certain Japanese characters and when you put them together it forms: お宝のガトリング (O-takara no Gatoringu / Gatling of Treasure)

The treasure refers to the various OP-related goods you can get when you buy various Shueisha magazines :)
 

hai_Priesty

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
786
Reaction score
1,943
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Does anyone remember Ral Grad, the slightly ecchi-fantasy battle manga that got cancelled in 29 weeks - despite being drawn just a short while after the artist, Obata, just scored big in Death Note? If a multi-million seller can't use his name to survive in Jump I don't understand why people still get convinced that the wife of Jaguar's (by the way, a 150,000 seller) author can pull such Connection weight.

So one reasonable theory is people just like to bash someone they don't like on all grounds & reasons, no matter how thin the reasoning is...... :-_-


Okay, okay, I should have qualified by saying that I do read Enigma and enjoy it a great deal. I totally agree with you that this is totally an unfair claim to level against it. I'm not the one leveling it, though. I'm just saying that many 2channers do. And I can sorta see why since despite being brand new, Enigma is already getting so many color pages. And its first 7 chapters before the chapters were ranked were all placed quite high on the TOCs, something that certain 2channers think is the editorial division giving preferential treatment to it.

Like I said, I disagree with this, but I can still see why people could make that conclusion. Haters will be haters, and they'll find whatever negative things they can to say about it, even if it's baseless.
I can think of a few reasons why Enigma is bashed though:

1. Like Psyren and similar stuff..... Not only is it not typical shonen, it's also the type of polarizing stuff (material-wise & story-telling) where many with really likes or detests it.

2. Now that the manga is "settled" and relatively free from cancellation pressure it seems to me the author take solid steps to introduce characters, which to typical shonen Jump readers (teenageers, mainly boys) can be slow but certainly beneficial to a long-running manga.

3. Fangirl-bashing guys from 2ch. The author's seemingly doing a good job with fangirls and lots of 2ch guys bash it like Reborn, telling the fans (girls) to scoff off from their SHONEN jump.
(If you're free, try search the Moto fanart & Matsurigi X Kurisu in pixiv.net, and you'll know why the guys has gotten some prejudice against it LOLOL.)

Personally, Enigma is getting just about as much colour pages of early Kuroko (first 5 : chapter 1,2,9,11,15)




And "Dois Sol", I only want to check it, because of the name, i want to know if the title is derived from Portuguese. =]
Somehow the coming selection doesn't elicit much anticipation from me.... ^_^;; The top batter is the author from KOSen, a cancelled work that start 1 week later than Psyren and got cancelled in 12 weeks.......

(I've nothing against that author, I read and think KO is not that bad, but his story&drawing isn't the type that attracts shonen or light readers......)
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

•Sasuke•

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2007
Messages
869
Reaction score
7,307
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
935 :ohana ◆IR7jauNn4E :2011/02/09(水) 17:56:19 ID:azMw3mgzP

表紙は DOIS SOL
巻頭 DOIS SOL
DOISOL(サッカーマンガ)
ワンピ
ナルト
トリコ
リボーン
ブリーチ C
銀魂
バクマン
黒子 C
スケット
べるぜ
エニグマ C
いぬまる
めだか
こち亀
ぬらり
保健室
動物園
ライトニング

12号 メルヘングリム王子巻頭
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
935 :ohana ◆IR7jauNn4E :2011/02/09(水) 17:56:19 ID:azMw3mgzP

表紙は DOIS SOL
巻頭 DOIS SOL
DOISOL(サッカーマンガ)
ワンピ
ナルト
トリコ
リボーン
ブリーチ C
銀魂
バクマン
黒子 C
スケット
べるぜ
エニグマ C
いぬまる
めだか
こち亀
ぬらり
保健室
動物園
ライトニング

12号 メルヘングリム王子巻頭
ToC WSJ #11 :

DOIS SOL (Cover & Lead Color)
One Piece
Naruto
Toriko
Reborn!
Bleach (Color Page)
Gintama
Bakuman
Kuroko no Basket (Color Page)
Sket Dance
Beruze
Enigma (Color Page)
Inumaru Dashi
Medaka Box
Kochikame
Nurarihyon no Mago
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Omagadoki Zoo
Light Wing



Cover WSJ #11 :

 
Last edited:

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well, from what we can see in the cover, Dois Sol should be Portuguese (means "Two Suns", like the ones in the letter O), so it really was a plural error ("Two Sun"). The correct should be "Dois Sóis"
Oh man, no one asked a person fluent in Portuguese before name it?
 

soDeq05

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2008
Messages
567
Reaction score
976
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Naruto overtake the second place again this week, :sweatdrop and yay~ I'm looking forward to read the new series this week :dance

@Oberon: It is not "Beruze", the real name of the series is "Beelzebub"
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Reborn being in the top 5 and Medaka Box being out of the bottom 5 makes this an excellent week in my book.

Wonder how long it'll be till Light Wing gets slashed? I guess they're going to wait until the new series are actually being ranked...
 

Oberon

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2011
Messages
1,401
Reaction score
8,522
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
@Oberon: It is not "Beruze", the real name of the series is "Beelzebub"
I know this series, I'm a supporter of it, but "Beruze" it also correct..
It's an abbreviation of the japanese name "Beruzebabu" :)
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Well, from what we can see in the cover, Dois Sol should be Portuguese (means "Two Suns", like the ones in the letter O), so it really was a plural error ("Two Sun"). The correct should be "Dois Sóis"
Oh man, no one asked a person fluent in Portuguese before name it?
Even in international Japanese websites that got translated into English, i notice that there are still a lot of funny Engrish. ^^;;;
I think there won't be many people who would realize the Portuguese grammar is off. I know how you feel though xD

Nothing much to say about the ToC except khr yoyoing from the top to the bottom every week. pfffffft. xD
I am happy with Bakuman and Enigma as well. Go Go Enigma~!
 
Last edited:

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yeah, the bad grammar in Dois Sol's name kind of irks me :p. The series itself doesn't look to be too bad, although the logo looks pretty ugly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top