Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
According to Kaiten, that's why it is subjective. He has said his preference for a while now
As for my post it is not subjective indeed. I don't speak about quality and one piece sales are greater than Naruto now, Glenat made huge announce about that when it happened. Now if you want to feed the troll and continue a meanless argument be my guest but please do that elsewhere.

As for jump things won't change, the system of the TOC will remain. The magazine may sell less but the trio tankobon will continue to give confortable revenue for a long time. Actually, it will be more interesting for this thread since currently the top of the TOC is rather uninteresting. But we have time to see that coming

Concerning Lacrosse, I think it is a canadian game isn't it ? How confidential is it, does someone know?
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Fair enough. I suppose I'm just comparing anything in the magazine to One Piece ending, for which there isn't much of a comparison. Naruto would be the only one even close to it and even then it's almost accepted fact is that it will end before One Piece does. In which case the ending of OP would leave an even larger gap in the magazine.
Toriko is doing good enough work to fill in for either Naruto or Bleach, more so Naruto, in a massive way. Maybe it can catch up to Naruto in an overall view as a super popular long time ongoing jump series. Torko is still "young" when compared to chapters to Naruto though.

The scary thing is when One Piece ends indeed, I can compare it to the Dragon Ball manga ending. Maybe even greater.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
According to Kaiten, that's why it is subjective. He has said his preference for a while now
As for my post it is not subjective indeed. I don't speak about quality and one piece sales are greater than Naruto now, Glenat made huge announce about that when it happened. Now if you want to feed the troll and continue a meanless argument be my guest but please do that elsewhere.

As for jump things won't change, the system of the TOC will remain. The magazine may sell less but the trio tankobon will continue to give confortable revenue for a long time. Actually, it will be more interesting for this thread since currently the top of the TOC is rather uninteresting. But we have time to see that coming

Concerning Lacrosse, I think it is a canadian game isn't it ? How confidential is it, does someone know?
It's a game invented by Native Americans and played mostly in the US and Canada. It's actually my state's official team sport and is quite a popular college sport.

Think Field Hockey but the ball is picked up and juggled with the stick instead of slapped around.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nii

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Toriko is not that young. It is already in an very advanced stage of the plot. Thanks god, Shima pace is much faster than those 3 and it won't end in a 600 chapters manga.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Toriko is not that young. It is already in an very advanced stage of the plot. Thanks god, Shima pace is much faster than those 3 and it won't end in a 600 chapters manga.
I imagine people said the same about Dragon Ball... well maybe that's not the best example. I've noticed the pace of arcs in Toriko.

But it's hard to be entirely confident of that being the case.
 

crimsonlink310

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2008
Messages
632
Reaction score
208
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dunno why people are so worried about the future of jump. Something replaced DBZ, another will replace One Piece, Naruto or Bleach. Whether its as successful depends on the circumstances such as a decline in readership or increase in readership.

I laughed really hard at what Kaiten posted 2 pages back. I haven't read that much fanboyism in a while. (no offense meant of course)
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I dunno why people are so worried about the future of jump. Something replaced DBZ, another will replace One Piece, Naruto or Bleach. Whether its as successful depends on the circumstances such as a decline in readership or increase in readership.

I laughed really hard at what Kaiten posted 2 pages back. I haven't read that much fanboyism in a while. (no offense meant of course)
Not sure if it's worry. But this thread has always been a place to discuss hypotheticals, and 2/3 of the biggest manga in the last decade or two ending and the prospects of such a thing is fun to discuss.

Well it was his opinion of One Piece. I don't see many not singing it's praises so to call it fanboyism is a bit off. If you've read enough series you can appreciate something exceptional when you see it. When I think of fanboys I think of someone not as experienced in the medium singing the praises of something when there's nothing to compare it to *cough*Narutards*cough*

And I'm kidding about the the tard thing, but you see my point.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Is the gag manga from the one who did the grim fairy tale one some time ago? the horse guy reminded me a bit of it.

a sports com is in my opinion more interesting as a only sports manga, because of the more opportunity it has in story development through the 2 genres. sometimes it can get really boring to see a tournament for 50+ chapters, so a bit rom/com is well appreciated.

I laughed really hard at what Kaiten posted 2 pages back. I haven't read that much fanboyism in a while. (no offense meant of course)
just ignore it as many of us do already...
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Is the gag manga from the one who did the grim fairy tale one some time ago? the horse guy reminded me a bit of it
It's a different person.
 

DestyNova4th

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2011
Messages
207
Reaction score
94
Age
46
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I see that Cross Manage's author, Kaito, participated in the Golden Future Cup in 2007 with Anti Love Sentai Hayata Joe (casually, I read recently). He hasn't published anything else? In 5 years? Why? He's a good author, in my opinion.
 
Last edited:

Lutzinho

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2012
Messages
54
Reaction score
15
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
A gag and a sports rom-com doesn't seem to be bad, but I'd rather have Jump add a suspense manga like Enigma or Death Note.
 
Last edited:

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Cross Manage was a fine slice of life one shot. I would like to see it in Jump, but can't help but wonder if it will fit the demographic here.

I don't speak about quality and one piece sales are greater than Naruto now, Glenat made huge announce about that when it happened.
Really? Great! I kind of missed this. Do you have a link, perhaps?

After all, the only market that can print and sell manga volumes in hundred thousands is France. USA, Germany, Finland and every other manga market deals in tens of thousands at best.

With this, the tired argument of "One Piece might be the most popular manga in Japan, but internationally it isn't" is pretty much officially dead.
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Still waiting for that thriller/horror manga that lives up to the standards of JUMP.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm really excited for the Cross Menage serialization. I enjoyed the one shot immensely, so this will be the firs new Jump series I will start since ST&RS.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Really? Great! I kind of missed this. Do you have a link, perhaps?
http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2011/05/17/One-Piece-n1-des-ventes-en-France

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------
-------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------[/SIZE]

I'm really excited for the Cross Menage serialization. I enjoyed the one shot immensely, so this will be the firs new Jump series I will start since ST&RS.
Not tempted by assassination classroom ? I'm a bit surprised :-)
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...



...A Lacrosse manga? :vin
A Lacrosse manga? Really? I made a joke a while back that I think Jump is seriously trying to cover all sports in the mag. I mean if they they think that the story is good to add it anyway.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Not tempted by assassination classroom ? I'm a bit surprised :-)
Not tempted by anything new in Jump actually. I've been burned too many times by cancellation. I actually didn't even know Cross Menage was a Jump one shot when I read it.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
What we need is a rhythm gymnastics manga. Now!

Seriously though, a Lacrosse manga sounds pretty interesting. It'd be awesome if it had the same effect with Lacrosse in Japan that Slam Dunk had with Basketball and that Eyeshield 21 had with American Football.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Lacrosse isn't really even popular in America though. There is a "professional" league, but no one watches or anything.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top