Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
...You just read the sequel to a series without reader its predecessor?
The lead character looked great and all the big climax action moments looked great. It wasnt hard to quickly get an idea of whats going on. I love the artist so was considering going back to read original Shaman King once Ultimo ends, though I cant imagine Shaman King is as good as Flowers.
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
The lead character looked great and all the big climax action moments looked great. It wasnt hard to quickly get an idea of whats going on. I love the artist so was considering going back to read original Shaman King once Ultimo ends, though I cant imagine Shaman King is as good as Flowers.
If you do read it, you'll have mixed feelings. There's lots of potential pairings you may enjoy.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
The lead character looked great and all the big climax action moments looked great. It wasnt hard to quickly get an idea of whats going on. I love the artist so was considering going back to read original Shaman King once Ultimo ends, though I cant imagine Shaman King is as good as Flowers.
I know you don't care about writing and only care about cute boys, but the original Shaman King is far superior to SKF which was pretty meh for the most part (the main characters powers were also ripped off from Senya from Sengoku Youko).
While Shaman King does go through severe dips in quality later in the series; when the series is good, it's goddamn great, and has some amazing arcs and characters.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Can we talk about how good Jump+ is?
 

Aramire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2012
Messages
92
Reaction score
23
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
I know you don't care about writing and only care about cute boys, but the original Shaman King is far superior to SKF which was pretty meh for the most part (the main characters powers were also ripped off from Senya from Sengoku Youko).
While Shaman King does go through severe dips in quality later in the series; when the series is good, it's goddamn great, and has some amazing arcs and characters.
I have to agree with you. I personally prefer the original Shaman King. That's why I'm very disappointed when the story started to go downhill. And almost everything changed since then, especially in Shaman King Flower. The fighting scene (it doesn't feel as exciting as the original), the humour (I don't find the humour funny like the original. I never even laughed at the humour), the characters (the characters doesn't leave a strong impression on me and I think they are too pretty), etc. It's just my opinion though. No offence for those who like the current Shaman King.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I know Shaman King flowers is a sequel to Shaman King, BUT its not like you can't enjoy it without knowing about Shaman King (not that I have read a lot of it, probably read like 2 or 3 chapters) sure it will probably spoil some of SK but to me it felt like you didn't really need to have read SK to understand it. Similarly to the Saint Seiya spin-offs, you don't need to have read Saint Seiya.. Heck, Seiya isn't even in those mangas lol
 

Txapeldun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2013
Messages
599
Reaction score
236
Country
Abu Dhabi
BUT its not like you can't enjoy it without knowing about Shaman King
There's even cases of people who didn't enjoy it knowing about Shaman King. IMHO Flowers was a total disaster and the franchise was better without it.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Cyborg Roggy - quite amazing that I see a wsj manga with an art that reminds me of SDK (Samurai Deeper Kyo). The lead character could have been easily a character in that mangaka's works.

Black Clover - I was pretty shocked about how everyone was hyping it. Seriously? How generic, formulaic can you even go.

Kagami Gami - Good to have Iwashiro Toshiaki back, at least a mangaka who uses first a setting, a story, a decent character introduction. The serious fights and villains will follow later on. This one has to be scanlated. It's better than Mieru Hito but its start wasn't as good as Psyren's one. But I have faith in this manga.
 

FanOfAniManga

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
488
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It definitely resembles Enigma, not just in the way the characters are drawn and their personalities, but even the story structure is pretty much an exact replica of Enigma and Classroom of Truth from Bakuman. Again, you have some powerful entity trapping and endangering the lives of random people and they have to go through some sort of mission or something. A big difference, however, is that the identity of the gamemaster is revealed from the start (at least, as a being rather than a symbol, whether or not his name is real or just an alias), so I think that alone is a sign that Sakaki had moved on from using simply the entity's identity as a plot point for a weak big reveal.

I think anyone who likes Enigma will definitely like this series. I think I would.

Also, it's interesting to note that the typo in the title from "Love Tester" was on purpose. The expression's apparently furigana for a "Love Machine of Death" or something like that, according to one of the pages, so it's more like "Love Deathster".
 
Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah. Really hard name to romanize. Seeing as I translated Enigma, I'll give it a read. It looks pretty cool and you can tell it's by the same author (School manga, characters stuck in a crazy game with weird objectives) but I don't have time to try to translate anything new any time soon.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
15. *56,601 1,117,608 Naruto Vol.72
32. *30,708 *,302,415 Nisekoi Vol.16

With special edition sales, Nisekoi has a new record of sales: 333.482
 

Covers

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2014
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
2,326
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
#14 - Top 5:

Ultra Battle Satellite (Lead CP/Cover)
Shokugeki no Soma
One Piece
Kaizou Ningen Roggy (Center color)
Boku no Hero Academia
 
Last edited:

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Souma kicking asses.
After Naruto's death the ranking is really unstable (in a good way). Next week we can have Bleach in first (ok, that's dreaming too much).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
After a long time where only the bottom mattered, the top is starting to become interesting again with this exchange of positions among the series. And you cannot say that any of them don't deserve the position, which makes everything even better.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Congrats to Soma, wonder what chapter it was
 

Linkzerx9

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
55
Reaction score
56
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
Issue #14:
Ultra Battle Satellite (Cover/Lead CP)
Shokugeki no Soma
One Piece
Kaizou Ningen Roggy (Color Page)
Boku no Hero Academia
Haikyuu!
Assassination Classroom (Color Page)
Black Clover (23 Pg)
PSI Kusuo Saiki
Toriko
Kagamigami
Nisekoi
Bleach (Color Page)
Gintama
Hinomaru Zumou
Gakkyuu Hottei
Kochikame
World Trigger
Takujou no Ageha
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Issue #15:
Cover/Lead CP: One Piece
Color Page: Boku no Hero Academia, Isobe Isobee Monogatari, Ultra Battle Satellite
I guess USB is Ultra Battle Satellite.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top