Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Here is normally talked about commercial success. I think that what makes a successful series is its stability, manage to end while still popular. Taking extremely example first, Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk ended when they are in its peak. Naruto had a decrease in the last years, but it also ended with a incredible popularity. I could say this about Death Note and Bakuman as well... Those are the examples I can remember. Reborn was long, but it didn't end well in the charts, it was not a triumphal ending. Bleach is going to the same path, it was once every popular, but now it is in process of declining. They are not complete success because they didn't manage to maintain its popularity.

How many year you don't come in this thread? Haikyuu sells more than Shokugeki for a couple of months (more than a year I think). :lmao

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------


No reprint scheduled. The anime ended, it is expected.
I believe Shokugeki no Soma never sold more than Haikyuu!!
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I hope that the anime of Shokugeki no Soma has an explosive positive impact in sales for the series. It totally deserves!
In reality I'm hoping the 4 new Shueisha's anime series(Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, Kekkai Sensen and Ore no Monogatari) in the Spring Season get a explosive boost.
I hope the same for Shokugeki no Soma, but I think the star of the pack will be Owari no Seraph. Same studio of SnK and all, high hopes for that one.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I believe Shokugeki no Soma never sold more than Haikyuu!!
I think that the first volumes sold, but I have to make a graph to be sure.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Our generation is so superficial that desperately feel the need to be part of something important, to experience something important, then creates labels and standards, such as "The Big Three" or "The Next Onaruto Pleach". We (yes, I include myself in that too) spent more time worrying about these trivialities than reading the f*cking manga.

If Boku no Hero will be the new Naruto? I have no idea and don't even care. I'm 22 years old, I shouldn't even be reading this magazine. I'm not the target audience. But I still have fun, like when I was a kid. So, I just hope to have fun. More and more fun. And the series has potential. Of course it has. HunterxHunter, for example, began with minor arcs and then turned the masterpiece its today, then Boku can also ... Oops! XD

Again, our generation is so superficial.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Top 500? And in less than 1 year? I don't think so!
It is the only explanation... I saw Amazon now and none of the volumes has problems of stock. :hmm
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I think that the first volumes sold, but I have to make a graph to be sure.
Ah, yes, yes. Shokugeki no Soma first volumes sold pretty well. Haikyuu!! took a little more time to get into the groove(volume 4).

Though, I was talking of a time where the most recent volume of Shokugeki no Soma sold more than the most recent volume of Haikyuu!!, I never looked at volumes of corresponding number of the 2. Given that Soma is 4 volumes below Haikyuu!!
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Touch was selling around 1 Million per volume. Slam Dunk volumes sold better than Dragon Ball! Kuroko no Basket was also a huge hit! Right now a lot of sport series are selling really well.
Given that Haikyuu!! is an amazing sport series and it has anime, and a successful at that, while Soma still doesn't have any anime. Is not hard to see why Haikyuu!! is selling more.
Also note how Haikyuu!! before having an anime already was selling more than Shokugeki no Soma.

I hope that the anime of Shokugeki no Soma has an explosive positive impact in sales for the series. It totally deserves!
In reality I'm hoping the 4 new Shueisha's anime series(Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, Kekkai Sensen and Ore no Monogatari) in the Spring Season get a explosive boost.
I was not implying that successful sport series do not exist, but rather sport series in general tend to cater to niche audience. AFAIK, Dragon Balls is only beaten by One Piece in terms of sales figure. Either way, I hope both series do well in the market and stay long enough to be properly ended.

Here is normally talked about commercial success. I think that what makes a successful series is its stability, manage to end while still popular. Taking extremely example first, Dragon Ball and Slam Dunk ended when they are in its peak. Naruto had a decrease in the last years, but it also ended with a incredible popularity. I could say this about Death Note and Bakuman as well... Those are the examples I can remember. Reborn was long, but it didn't end well in the charts, it was not a triumphal ending. Bleach is going to the same path, it was once every popular, but now it is in process of declining. They are not complete success because they didn't manage to maintain its popularity.

How many year you don't come in this thread? Haikyuu sells more than Shokugeki for a couple of months (more than a year I think). :lmao
Which means that definition of "success" can be very subjective from person to person. What do you think as a "complete sucess" might be an utter failure for the others. If we are looking from one side, Bleach have surpassed many manga in terms of sales numbers. Even if the story does not end the way most people want it to be, I am still saying Bleach is a success, at least from commercial perspective.

I dunno, I cannot recall. I don't have any particular hard-on for sales numbers usually, 'cause it makes me anxious if series that I like is getting axed due to low sales numbers.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Which means that definition of "success" can be very subjective from person to person. What do you think as a "complete sucess" might be an utter failure for the others. If we are looking from one side, Bleach have surpassed many manga in terms of sales numbers. Even if the story does not end the way most people want it to be, I am still saying Bleach is a success, at least from commercial perspective.

I dunno, I cannot recall. I don't have any particular hard-on for sales numbers usually, 'cause it makes me anxious if series that I like is getting axed due to low sales numbers.
Not really. Success means an accomplishment of a goal. The goal of any series, in short, is to end as popular as possible. Neither Reborn nor Bleach accomplished such objective because both were more successful than when they ended (or is now in the case of Bleach). The commercial success of the as series is strongly connected with whether it fills the expectations of the readers or not since they are the one who buy the series. A story that the readers doesn't enjoy is a commercial problem as well.

You get used to it after some series axed. :lmao
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, I'm not a mangaka. I never said I was a mangaka, but I know a lot about basic story telling and I do read stories/interviews about real mangakas. And one thing I learn about grabbing readers attention, at least in today's shonen, be very flashy. That isn't a bad thing, I get it, but how long do you think he can keep that flash lit? So far he's doing a good job but he have to got back and work on that story. Sadly, he told the whole story in 3 chapters.
Main character living in a super power world with no powers, a nobody, but wants to prove he's can be a hero...Cool. That's sounds like a fun story, maybe he got some other talents, maybe he got a different type of power, maybe he got to think outside the box to beat the bad guys--No wait, he got his powers...Cool...Now what? Now he's a hero and...Yeah. Cool. He's a hero. Now he can fight and do hero things...The End.
Even though the whole point of the series was about him not having any powers, but who cares.

Baku No Hero had a good idea but kill it, for me at least, by giving main character his powers from the very start.
Yes, the series is very popular, that's a fact, but you can't tell me Baku No Hero is a great story.
I love Dragon Ball, I love Baki, but those are not great stories. FUN, but not great.
The series only has 32 chapters out and is barely getting started with the story. Your predicting something thats not even gonna happen until much much later in the future. Like somebody told me before here, most battle shonen evolve and change, One Piece wasn't what it was today 32 chapters into the story. Predicting that it'll basically become the next Bleach and be mediocre in quality but really popular is super reaching. Idk what the future holds in store, but from what I see from the series as of now, the sky is the limit
 

RubyR91

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2015
Messages
126
Reaction score
25
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
How has Kagamigami been doing? I liked the first chapter quite a bit.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Not really. Success means an accomplishment of a goal. The goal of any series, in short, is to end as popular as possible. Neither Reborn nor Bleach accomplished such objective because both were more successful than when they ended (or is now in the case of Bleach). The commercial success of the as series is strongly connected with whether it fills the expectations of the readers or not since they are the one who buy the series. A story that the readers doesn't enjoy is a commercial problem as well.
Sorry if I am drawing a parallel line with other media here, but what I am trying to say is.. just because a book (or manga, in this particular case) does not resonate with you artistically, it doesn't always mean it is a failure. For example I do not like Twilight, for me it's too sappy and cliché-ridden, but I cannot deny that it is successful to some degree - it is profitable enough to be adapted into a movie, because you know, it sells well. Some authors fortunately have the liberty to end the series whenever they want to, but the basic mindset of business is, if it still generates money the creator should milk the profit.

It's a different case with manga which just doesn't sell well and eventually get axed, as your last two lines suggested.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Complete successes are rare in the manga market, indeed, because what you said. They have to continue a series even when it means sacrifices quality. When the quality decreasesm the popularity normally decreases together.
I started following TOC in 2011 and since then I only saw to series ending properly and with no substantial decline of popularity and they are Bakuman and Naruto.
 

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The series only has 32 chapters out and is barely getting started with the story. Your predicting something thats not even gonna happen until much much later in the future. Like somebody told me before here, most battle shonen evolve and change, One Piece wasn't what it was today 32 chapters into the story. Predicting that it'll basically become the next Bleach and be mediocre in quality but really popular is super reaching. Idk what the future holds in store, but from what I see from the series as of now, the sky is the limit
Personally, the series reached it limits once he got his powers. I could go off and give my reasons, the characters, the world, the setting, the theme, of Baku No Hero is a okay but not a good series, but I feel like I'm getting some people kinda mad with my comments.
Over all THOUGHTS:
Good art, Weak story, frog girl gets a spin off series, think the series will be okay to meh at WSJ in the long run. Nothing special.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Personally, the series reached it limits once he got his powers. I could go off and give my reasons, the characters, the world, the setting, the theme, of Baku No Hero is a okay but not a good series, but I feel like I'm getting some people kinda mad with my comments.
Over all THOUGHTS:
Good art, Weak story, frog girl gets a spin off series, think the series will be okay to meh at WSJ in the long run. Nothing special.
You can criticize a series whenever you want, just go to the thread or section of the series (the right place to discuss such thing) and post your arguments there. Obviously, you have to be prepared for the answers...
Boku no Hero Academia thread is this.

We are waiting your arguments. :super

Note: It is the second time I make this challenge, with two different series. Let's see if the challenge is taken this time. :derp
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Not really. Success means an accomplishment of a goal. The goal of any series, in short, is to end as popular as possible.
I don't agree with that one bit. Are you saying that Kochikame, Golgo 13 and Hajime no Ippo aren't successes?
What is important is the career, not the end!

Of course the end is part of the career, so obviously ending at the best form or around it is desirable, but not the goal of a series.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Personally, the series reached it limits once he got his powers.
The series is about being a hero and not just about having powers. Uncle Ben, remember? With great power...
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Personally, the series reached it limits once he got his powers. I could go off and give my reasons, the characters, the world, the setting, the theme, of Baku No Hero is a okay but not a good series, but I feel like I'm getting some people kinda mad with my comments.
Over all THOUGHTS:
Good art, Weak story, frog girl gets a spin off series, think the series will be okay to meh at WSJ in the long run. Nothing special.
The problem is that he got his powers in the 3rd chapter! So for you the story reached its limits in the 3rd chapter.
Note also how the point of the story is the path of the main character, through the Academia, to become the number 1 hero. Not about if he has powers or not.
It seems more that you were looking for something and got excited by the idea of that and suddenly you got cockblocked. You instead of adapt, given that it happened rather quick and soon in the story, you still stuck with that problem of yours.

In the end, him having a power or not is just a little plot point that it certainly doesn't defines if the story is good or if it has room to improvement and expansion.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Don't see how it was a bad thing to give the lead super powers in the 3rd chapter? It's not like he mastered anything. For the most part he can't use it that well. And the story is about him replacing AlMight as the symbol of peace. We all know a major twist will come with
All might being killed off somewhere
and we all know what the leads final power up would be like
Very similar to all might with changing form and shape
. The point of this story is the journey of a kid who never believed he would be a superhero to how he would go on to become the new symbol. It's something like naruto where a brat who no one liked went on to become the most respected and trust worthy person in the said world and became the leader of his town.
So far, reading BnHA is quite inspiring which is what lead characters should be, in my eyes at least. They should inspire you with their effort.
Anyway, that's just my take on all this.
 

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
The problem is that he got his powers in the 3rd chapter! So for you the story reached its limits in the 3rd chapter.
Note also how the point of the story is the path of the main character, through the Academia, to become the number 1 hero. Not about if he has powers or not.
It seems more that you were looking for something and got excited by the idea of that and suddenly you got cockblocked. You instead of adapt, given that it happened rather quick and soon in the story, you still stuck with that problem of yours.

In the end, him having a power or not is just a little plot point that it certainly doesn't defines if the story is good or if it has room to improvement and expansion.
Don't see how it was a bad thing to give the lead super powers in the 3rd chapter? It's not like he mastered anything. For the most part he can't use it that well. And the story is about him replacing AlMight as the symbol of peace. We all know a major twist will come with
All might being killed off somewhere
and we all know what the leads final power up would be like
Very similar to all might with changing form and shape
. The point of this story is the journey of a kid who never believed he would be a superhero to how he would go on to become the new symbol. It's something like naruto where a brat who no one liked went on to become the most respected and trust worthy person in the said world and became the leader of his town.
So far, reading BnHA is quite inspiring which is what lead characters should be, in my eyes at least. They should inspire you with their effort.
Anyway, that's just my take on all this.
The series is about being a hero and not just about having powers. Uncle Ben, remember? With great power...
Let's talk about this discuss over to the right thread. :)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top