Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I liked Condor as well, but then again, all of my favorite mangas have treasure hunting theme (7 dragon balls, the one piece, Ging Freecs, the 7 sins, philosopher's stone etc ...)


anyway, Did Viz say anything about jump starting the new series?
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
anyway, Did Viz say anything about jump starting the new series?
Not yet, too early. They usually do so around a week before the serializations start.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Will they have time to start another series since they just started Naruto spin-off?
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I find it interesting that Toei's lineup is mainly things they've animated before, and that they're all WSJ. Or well, Jump related. Also It's interesting that they can't animate what they have already very well, but they still keep adding shows.

As for DB returning, I really would have preferred an HD retelling of the original DB as it seems everyone other than me has forgotten that was a thing. Though I guess this could be good as I can deal or have made peace with their lackluster animation, but pacing is always a practice of pain and patience in Toei shows. Now that DB isn't held down by manga content, maybe that'll be less of a thing.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Will they have time to start another series since they just started Naruto spin-off?
If it's just the first 3 chapters, then it's possible.
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I find it interesting that Toei's lineup is mainly things they've animated before, and that they're all WSJ. Or well, Jump related. Also It's interesting that they can't animate what they have already very well, but they still keep adding shows.
Toei Lineup:
Animated Before
1- Dragon Ball Kai/Chou(Super) -> TV
2- Sailor Moon Crystal -> Net
3- Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold -> Net
4- Digimon Adventure Tri -> ??

New
1- One Piece -> TV
2- Precure -> TV
3- World Trigger -> TV
4- Robot Girls Z Plus(Parody Spin-off) -> Net

Just last season instead of Robot Girls Z plus, Digimon Adventure Tri and Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold Toei had the totally new series Majin Bone and Marvel Disk Wars Avengers. Making a 2(before)-5(new) difference between types. Right now is 4-4! Not mainly series animated before.

Weekly Shonen Jump
1- One Piece
2- World Trigger
3- Dragon Ball Kai/Chou(Super)(Related but Totally new content)
4- Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold(Related but totally new content)

Nakayoshi
1- Sailor Moon Crystal

Original
1- Digimon Adventure Tri
2- Precure
3- Robot Girls Z Plus

Right now Toei has 2 series not animated before from Weekly Shonen Jump and 2 already animated before. Also they have 4 series of Weekly Shonen Jump and 4 series from others sources. With 3 being original, even though Robot Girls Z Plus is a parody spin-off of Mazinger Z.

Toei has always 6 to 8 animated series at a given time and around 5 full length feature films per year. Is not that they keep adding shows, but that when other shows end they make another to substitute. Right now the only show that was added without the end of other is Robot Girls Z Plus(or you can consider that Digimon Adventure Tri is the one that didn't substitute other show given that it will come after Robot Girls Z Plus).
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
speaking about Condor got me thinking about (Jump VS) one shots


Koko dake no himitsuby Iwamoto Naoki (magico): not published yet
DAME GAME by Horie Ryuu : not published yet
Kachigumi! by Miura Satoru : not published yet
Iron Knight by Yagi Tomohiro : cancelled
Yoakemono by Shibata Yuusaku : cancelled
Jorei Senshi Kitamakura-kun by Kukita Fumiaki : not published yet
Kaizou Ningen Rogii by Miki Yuu : 99.99% cancelled
Kaibutsu Kangoku by Oosuga Gen : not published yet
Stealth Symphony by Narita & Amano : cancelled
Parasite B/Mitsukubi Condor by Ishiyama Ryou : cancelled
EGG KNOCKER by Furuhashi Hideyuki & Miyokawa Masaru (Miyokawa is drawing Capricorn's Friend on Jump +) : not published yet
Shippuu no Nakayoshi by Suganuma Tatsuya: not published yet


they make Golden Future Cup streak look good
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Parasite B is not Mitsukubi condor,so it could also get serialized,or the new OS he's publishing on Next!
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
speaking about Condor got me thinking about (Jump VS) one shots


Koko dake no himitsuby Iwamoto Naoki (magico): not published yet
DAME GAME by Horie Ryuu : not published yet
Kachigumi! by Miura Satoru : not published yet
Iron Knight by Yagi Tomohiro : cancelled
Yoakemono by Shibata Yuusaku : cancelled
Jorei Senshi Kitamakura-kun by Kukita Fumiaki : not published yet
Kaizou Ningen Rogii by Miki Yuu : 99.99% cancelled
Kaibutsu Kangoku by Oosuga Gen : not published yet
Stealth Symphony by Narita & Amano : cancelled
Parasite B/Mitsukubi Condor by Ishiyama Ryou : cancelled
EGG KNOCKER by Furuhashi Hideyuki & Miyokawa Masaru (Miyokawa is drawing Capricorn's Friend on Jump +) : not published yet
Shippuu no Nakayoshi by Suganuma Tatsuya: not published yet


they make Golden Future Cup streak look good
I'm just amazed how much Yusaku Shibata has improved as an artist and visual storyteller. You can really see the progression from Meiji, Enma Gavel, Yoakemono oneshot and serialization. He just needs to improve his story a little bit or have a great editor. I have no doubt he will have a hit someday. MHA, Mitsukubi and Yoakemono, loved all three from that round.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm just amazed how much Yusaku Shibata has improved as an artist and visual storyteller. You can really see the progression from Meiji, Enma Gavel, Yoakemono oneshot and serialization. He just needs to improve his story a little bit or have a great editor. I have no doubt he will have a hit someday. MHA, Mitsukubi and Yoakemono, loved all three from that round.
I'll be honest with you, looking at the new series in WSJ and the newbies that come in on each batch of new series, comparing those new series to the older works (or works from those that were serialized before) has gotten me thinking that getting a serialization and getting cancelled quickly could be said to be a "necessary step" to evolve as an artist and author in the mag and to try getting a hit series afterwards.
I mean, looking at the current line-up of the mag:

Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Black Clover
Nisekoi
World Trigger
Bleach

Are from artists that have had at least a series that was cancelled pretty quickly (i.e less than 40 chapters) and look where those authors are now, they've all managed to create popular series. The best example of that could be MHA I guess. Looking at the series and how popular it is you'd have trouble imagining the author's previous only had 16 chapters.
My point being that newbies in the mag when they get serialized, I'd say they lack something and it shows in their work one way or another and while this may seem harsh to say, I think getting an unpopular series at first is important. I mean pretty much all the newbies that started in 2014-2015 so far have had short series. Dinno if that's really a coincidence. The only case where this didn't apply in the past 2-3 years are for Isobe Isobee and Hinomaru Zumou whose authors managed to stay serialized while being newbies (not counting Soma, since this isn't the author's first series in the mag).
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I find it interesting that Toei's lineup is mainly things they've animated before, and that they're all WSJ. Or well, Jump related. Also It's interesting that they can't animate what they have already very well, but they still keep adding shows.

As for DB returning, I really would have preferred an HD retelling of the original DB as it seems everyone other than me has forgotten that was a thing. Though I guess this could be good as I can deal or have made peace with their lackluster animation, but pacing is always a practice of pain and patience in Toei shows. Now that DB isn't held down by manga content, maybe that'll be less of a thing.
You're a better man than me...personally, it honestly makes me angry. Why has the animation gotten WORSE and uglier in recent years? You'd think it'd be the opposite. Especially when it comes to something like Dragon Ball. The budget should be there. Seriously, watch Tree of Might and then Goku's battle with Bills. How any fan's stomach doesn't turn is beyond me...

That said, I'll be watching it like everyone else...if nothing else, the promise of universe building is nice. Hopefully it can hold the same flavor of the original. Not holding my breath though.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
You're a better man than me...personally, it honestly makes me angry. Why has the animation gotten WORSE and uglier in recent years? You'd think it'd be the opposite. Especially when it comes to something like Dragon Ball. The budget should be there. Seriously, watch Tree of Might and then Goku's battle with Bills. How any fan's stomach doesn't turn is beyond me...

That said, I'll be watching it like everyone else...if nothing else, the promise of universe building is nice. Hopefully it can hold the same flavor of the original. Not holding my breath though.
Honestly I used to get really angry too since One piece alone has to be making major bread for the company, but it's not like getting pissed is going to make Toei drop the series they're doing and give them to someone else. I have noticed that they use a lot fewer animators on their shows than other companies while watching the credits for One piece which might explain a lot. Either way there's not a whole lot we can do, and at least they're still a half step above Pierrot.

I'll watch DBC too, but like you I won't get overly hyped about it.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I didn't like Ryô Ishiyama in his first work, I hope he shut up my mouth.
I'll be honest with you, looking at the new series in WSJ and the newbies that come in on each batch of new series, comparing those new series to the older works (or works from those that were serialized before) has gotten me thinking that getting a serialization and getting cancelled quickly could be said to be a "necessary step" to evolve as an artist and author in the mag and to try getting a hit series afterwards.
I mean, looking at the current line-up of the mag:

Haikyuu!!
Boku no Hero Academia
Black Clover
Nisekoi
World Trigger
Bleach

Are from artists that have had at least a series that was cancelled pretty quickly (i.e less than 40 chapters) and look where those authors are now, they've all managed to create popular series. The best example of that could be MHA I guess. Looking at the series and how popular it is you'd have trouble imagining the author's previous only had 16 chapters.
My point being that newbies in the mag when they get serialized, I'd say they lack something and it shows in their work one way or another and while this may seem harsh to say, I think getting an unpopular series at first is important. I mean pretty much all the newbies that started in 2014-2015 so far have had short series. Dinno if that's really a coincidence. The only case where this didn't apply in the past 2-3 years are for Isobe Isobee and Hinomaru Zumou whose authors managed to stay serialized while being newbies (not counting Soma, since this isn't the author's first series in the mag).
And it's a good filter to author who only have one story (developed from childhood) and the next work is very bad...
Also, for Zumou I had a question, Kawada was assistant of Fujimaki , no?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Honestly I used to get really angry too since One piece alone has to be making major bread for the company, but it's not like getting pissed is going to make Toei drop the series they're doing and give them to someone else. I have noticed that they use a lot fewer animators on their shows than other companies while watching the credits for One piece which might explain a lot. Either way there's not a whole lot we can do, and at least they're still a half step above Pierrot.
People bag on Pierrot a lot, but I never understood why. Sure they have failures like everyone but generally, I've never though of the as that bad. Let's see...

Pierrot: Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul

Toei: DB, Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, Toriko, World Trigger

One Piece in recent years has sucked although that's more for the pacing than animation, I think? Anyway YYH had far better animation than SS and Fist, although I enjoy the latter two just fine. Of course, DB had ok animation, especially for its time. Naruto and Bleach were classic of course although there were some problems, that's to be expected. Generally I had no complaints. I've heard nothing but bad things about WT's animation and TG, while messing up the story, has good animation from what I've seen. Of course, Toriko was a complete mess.

By my count, it's like this:

Pierrot: Bleach (win), Naruto (win), YYH (win) Tokyo Ghoul (win, at least from the animation perspective and it make the manga more popular)

Toei: Dragon Ball (win, only got better as time went on but now it's SUPER garbage), One Piece (win, but got worse after Thriller Bark or somewhere around there), Fist (win but not as impressive as YYH), Saint Seiya (win, ditto), WT (fail), Toriko (fail),

It seems, Toei's record is way more shoddy. Unless you meant in terms of following the manga or some other aspect not connected with animation? Or maybe I'm missing other big shows?

But honestly, if Pierrot brought Bleach back, do any of us think it'd be anything less than at least good? Compare that to what the new DB show is going to look...
 

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
You're a better man than me...personally, it honestly makes me angry. Why has the animation gotten WORSE and uglier in recent years? You'd think it'd be the opposite. Especially when it comes to something like Dragon Ball. The budget should be there. Seriously, watch Tree of Might and then Goku's battle with Bills. How any fan's stomach doesn't turn is beyond me...
Three of Might has better animation than Dragon Ball Battle of Gods? LOL. Obviously Dragon Ball Battle of Gods is the better one.
One thing is liking one movie better than the other or the art of one movie better other, but objectively saying that Battle of Gods animation is worse!? Please!

This scene proves you wrong XD:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Three of Might has better animation than Dragon Ball Battle of Gods? LOL. Obviously Dragon Ball Battle of Gods is the better one.
One thing is liking one movie better than the other or the art of one movie better other, but objectively saying that Battle of Gods animation is worse!? Please!

This scene proves you wrong XD:

You're so right...what was I thinking? Forgive me haha. Surely that scene alone is indicative of what a Dragon Ball movie should be like. Certainly not this XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EidzTATG0

And no CGI to be seen...how dare they??
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
People bag on Pierrot a lot, but I never understood why. Sure they have failures like everyone but generally, I've never though of the as that bad. Let's see...

Pierrot: Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul

Toei: DB, Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, Toriko, World Trigger

One Piece in recent years has sucked although that's more for the pacing than animation, I think? Anyway YYH had far better animation than SS and Fist, although I enjoy the latter two just fine. Of course, DB had ok animation, especially for its time. Naruto and Bleach were classic of course although there were some problems, that's to be expected. Generally I had no complaints. I've heard nothing but bad things about WT's animation and TG, while messing up the story, has good animation from what I've seen. Of course, Toriko was a complete mess.

By my count, it's like this:

Pierrot: Bleach (win), Naruto (win), YYH (win) Tokyo Ghoul (win, at least from the animation perspective and it make the manga more popular)

Toei: Dragon Ball (win, only got better as time went on but now it's SUPER garbage), One Piece (win, but got worse after Thriller Bark or somewhere around there), Fist (win but not as impressive as YYH), Saint Seiya (win, ditto), WT (fail), Toriko (fail),

It seems, Toei's record is way more shoddy. Unless you meant in terms of following the manga or some other aspect not connected with animation? Or maybe I'm missing other big shows?

But honestly, if Pierrot brought Bleach back, do any of us think it'd be anything less than at least good? Compare that to what the new DB show is going to look...
Let's see:

-> Saint Seiya is from the same time as Dragon Ball! From 1986! Good animation for its time.
-> Fist of the Nort Star is from before Dragon Ball! This is, 1984! Good animation for its time.
-> One Piece hasn't sucked, and if you're talking of pacing that has been like that even before Thriller Bark Arc that started in 2008. I don't know about you, but 7 years isn't in my books "recent years".

-> Yu Yu Hakusho is from 1992, 8 years after Fist of the North Star and 6 years after Saint Seiya! Yu Yu Hakusho animation isn't Far Greater to Saint Seiya! I can't say much about Fist of the North Star, since I only watched 2 or 3 episodes of it, but I don't think that either.
-> Toei has Slam Dunk from around the same time as Yu Yu Hakusho, 1993. They have similar animation quality. Though, personally I put Slam Dunk above Yu Yu Hakusho.

-> One Piece has in general better animation than Naruto and Bleach(Though I stopped watching Bleach after the Bount arc, got tired of the series, and people say that later episodes have high quality animation).

-> Tokyo Ghoul is not always amazing! They had 3 amazingly animated episodes(the first, the last, and one in the middle(the one with Amon fighting Kaneki, I believe.)), and the rest of the episodes were average to good, with some parts to be desired. The pacing of it and the added original content is something not good in the series! Ended in an horrible note!
I don't know about Root A, still didn't watched it. For what I have heard the pacing is even faster, and things get even more confusing. It seems it ended in a note as horrible as the one of the first season.

-> Toriko has a very variable animation quality just like One Piece, the biggest complains about it was the tone down and censorship, as well has the final episodes original content.
In terms of animation is no fail!

-> Toei has the Precure series. That have pretty good animation and story!


-> Studio Pierrot has Kingdom with 3D:
1st season has pretty horrible 3D animation. 2nd season has a lot less 3D animation, but the one that they still have is still not good.

-> Toei animation has Majin Bone with amazing battles with good 3D and choreographies:

-> World Trigger:

Some Recent and Past successes
-> Recenly Toei has:
- Taken Driland
- Kyousougiga
- Saint Seiya Omega
- Thriller Restaurant
...

-> Recently Pierrot has:
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Baby Steps
- Tegami Bachi
...

Toei has as good past series:
- Digimon
- Sailor Moon
- Doremi
- Zatch Bell
- Gegege no Kitaro
- Mononoke
- Ayakashi
- Hakabe no Kitaro
- Kuchu Buranko
- Air Gear
- Yu-Gi-Oh 0
- Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo
- Kamisama Kazoku
- Kanon
... (Enormous amount of other popular titles)

-> Pierrot has as good past series:
- The Twelve Kingdoms
- Hikaru no Go
- GTO
- Flame of Recca
- Ninku
- Tottemo! Luckyman
... (Good amount of other popular titles)

Recent Films
Toei Animation:
- One Piece Strong World and Film Z and others
- Dragon Ball Battle of God(Still didn't watched Resurrection of F, but almost certainly it will also be in here)
- Precure Movies(2 per year)
- Rainbow Fireflies
- Asura
- Osamu Tezuka's Buddha 1 and 2
- Expelled from Paradise
- Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary
- Captain harlock

Pierrot Animation:
- Naruto the Last and Road to Ninja and others
- Bleach Hell verse and others
- Legend of the Millenium Dragon

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

You're so right...what was I thinking? Forgive me haha. Surely that scene alone is indicative of what a Dragon Ball movie should be like. Certainly not this XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6EidzTATG0

And no CGI to be seen...how dare they??
You need to have a really bad eyesight to think that this is better than Beerus vs Goku.

For your last comment I assume that you hate CGI, and so any appearance of it automatically means worse animation.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorApollo

Artist
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2010
Messages
437
Reaction score
276
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Deidara, you're just confusing stylistic choices with quality.

The latest DB films are undoubtedly far better quality works, but if you just don't like the new animation style, there's just nothing to be done about it.

but yeah, the animation hasnt gotten WORSE by any stretch of the imagination, it's legions and legions better. whether it's "uglier" is totally up to opinion, though.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
People bag on Pierrot a lot, but I never understood why. Sure they have failures like everyone but generally, I've never though of the as that bad. Let's see...

Pierrot: Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Bleach, Tokyo Ghoul

Toei: DB, Saint Seiya, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, Toriko, World Trigger

One Piece in recent years has sucked although that's more for the pacing than animation, I think? Anyway YYH had far better animation than SS and Fist, although I enjoy the latter two just fine. Of course, DB had ok animation, especially for its time. Naruto and Bleach were classic of course although there were some problems, that's to be expected. Generally I had no complaints. I've heard nothing but bad things about WT's animation and TG, while messing up the story, has good animation from what I've seen. Of course, Toriko was a complete mess.

By my count, it's like this:

Pierrot: Bleach (win), Naruto (win), YYH (win) Tokyo Ghoul (win, at least from the animation perspective and it make the manga more popular)

Toei: Dragon Ball (win, only got better as time went on but now it's SUPER garbage), One Piece (win, but got worse after Thriller Bark or somewhere around there), Fist (win but not as impressive as YYH), Saint Seiya (win, ditto), WT (fail), Toriko (fail),

It seems, Toei's record is way more shoddy. Unless you meant in terms of following the manga or some other aspect not connected with animation? Or maybe I'm missing other big shows?

But honestly, if Pierrot brought Bleach back, do any of us think it'd be anything less than at least good? Compare that to what the new DB show is going to look...
See the thing is Pierrot's animation is good on key episodes mainly, and yes following the manga is kind of really important. When an anime adaption of your favorite manga is announced, Is your first thought "Oh boy! I hope they give us a bastardized version of the story I enjoyed in the manga!" Or "Man, I am so looking forward to that two year worth of fillers because they rushed through the manga material really quickly! Chances are that one would get excited about an anime adaption because they want to see their favorite manga scenes competently animated. Of course every company has it's highs and lows, and I agree that YYH was a high for Pierrot. However, they've had far more lows than most companies such as an unfinished Flame of Recca, a sort of adaptation of TK Ghoul, Bleach having filler plots in the middle of arcs, and of course that long stretch of filler that Naruto had. I'm sorry, but a well animated piece of crap is still a piece of crap. Toei's stuff might look bad, but at least for the most part they generally follow the manga they're adapting, keep filler to a minimum, and their good episodes aren't really far removed from their bad ones. It's ugly, but a consistent ugly. Having a handful of Bleach and Naruto episodes that look amazing while the other 80% look really bad is better but not by enough.

Oh and I for one would not think a new Bleach would look good. It would be as mediocre as it's predecessor. You might wanna examine TK Ghoul a little closer, as it's animation at least for the first season was pretty flawed. I'll admit that the beginning of One piece is leagues below it's two rivals, but it's stepped up to at least be pretty presentable recently. All in all, Pierrot can't hide poor decisions in their adaptations with somewhat decent animation. An anime adaptation of a manga has to look good and follow the story of what it adapts.
 
Last edited:

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let's see:

-> Saint Seiya is from the same time as Dragon Ball! From 1986! Good animation for its time.
-> Fist of the Nort Star is from before Dragon Ball! This is, 1984! Good animation for its time.
-> One Piece hasn't sucked, and if you're talking of pacing that has been like that even before Thriller Bark Arc that started in 2008. I don't know about you, but 7 years isn't in my books "recent years".

-> Yu Yu Hakusho is from 1992, 8 years after Fist of the North Star and 6 years after Saint Seiya! Yu Yu Hakusho animation isn't Far Greater to Saint Seiya! I can't say much about Fist of the North Star, since I only watched 2 or 3 episodes of it, but I don't think that either.
-> Toei has Slam Dunk from around the same time as Yu Yu Hakusho, 1993. They have similar animation quality. Though, personally I put Slam Dunk above Yu Yu Hakusho.

-> One Piece has in general better animation than Naruto and Bleach(Though I stopped watching Bleach after the Bount arc, got tired of the series, and people say that later episodes have high quality animation).

-> Tokyo Ghoul is not always amazing! They had 3 amazingly animated episodes(the first, the last, and one in the middle(the one with Amon fighting Kaneki, I believe.)), and the rest of the episodes were average to good, with some parts to be desired. The pacing of it and the added original content is something not good in the series! Ended in an horrible note!
I don't know about Root A, still didn't watched it. For what I have heard the pacing is even faster, and things get even more confusing. It seems it ended in a note as horrible as the one of the first season.

-> Toriko has a very variable animation quality just like One Piece, the biggest complains about it was the tone down and censorship, as well has the final episodes original content.
In terms of animation is no fail!

-> Toei has the Precure series. That have pretty good animation and story!


-> Studio Pierrot has Kingdom with 3D:
1st season has pretty horrible 3D animation. 2nd season has a lot less 3D animation, but the one that they still have is still not good.

-> Toei animation has Majin Bone with amazing battles with good 3D and choreographies:

-> World Trigger:

Some Recent and Past successes
-> Recenly Toei has:
- Taken Driland
- Kyousougiga
- Saint Seiya Omega
- Thriller Restaurant
...

-> Recently Pierrot has:
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Baby Steps
- Tegami Bachi
...

Toei has as good past series:
- Digimon
- Sailor Moon
- Doremi
- Zatch Bell
- Gegege no Kitaro
- Mononoke
- Ayakashi
- Hakabe no Kitaro
- Kuchu Buranko
- Air Gear
- Yu-Gi-Oh 0
- Kindaichi Shonen no Jikenbo
- Kamisama Kazoku
- Kanon
... (Enormous amount of other popular titles)

-> Pierrot has as good past series:
- The Twelve Kingdoms
- Hikaru no Go
- GTO
- Flame of Recca
- Ninku
- Tottemo! Luckyman
... (Good amount of other popular titles)

Recent Films
Toei Animation:
- One Piece Strong World and Film Z and others
- Dragon Ball Battle of God(Still didn't watched Resurrection of F, but almost certainly it will also be in here)
- Precure Movies(2 per year)
- Rainbow Fireflies
- Asura
- Osamu Tezuka's Buddha 1 and 2
- Expelled from Paradise
- Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary
- Captain harlock

Pierrot Animation:
- Naruto the Last and Road to Ninja and others
- Bleach Hell verse and others
- Legend of the Millenium Dragon

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------



You need to have a really bad eyesight to think that this is better than Beerus vs Goku.

For your last comment I assume that you hate CGI, and so any appearance of it automatically means worse animation.

1. Glad we agree about SS and Fist being good for their time. And you have a point about One Piece. I guess 7 years is a long time...it just feels shorter than that. You're totally right though.

2. I disagree about YYH not being better than Seiya and Fist though. YYH only had a couple that I can think of and they were earlier in the series and not used often. The latter two had a lot of repeat sequences for attacks and the like. Neither are bad and like we say good for their time but I think YYH has them both beat. But then it came several years later so perhaps it's not as fair of a comparison as I thought. And I forgot that Toei made Slam Dunk as well. I've only seen about 20 episodes of Slam Dunk so far so I can't say for sure. But man, I'd have a hard time believing it can beat YYH.

3. You think early One Piece beat early Bleach?? Again I have to disagree. One Piece was good but not better than Bleach. With Naruto, I guess it depended on the episode. But all three were great so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

4. I see. I haven't watched Tokyo Ghoul yet so I didn't know. But yeah I heard they butchered the story, which is a shame.

5. IDK about Toriko, sure the animation was watchable but the censorship and changing of the story made it so bad that I can't give it many props at all. Some fights were okay but it could have been a lot better.

5. Never watched Precure or Majin Bone (I hate CGI) but I agree that the 2D did look smooth from what I saw. I forgot about Kingdom. Yes, that was a travesty. Agreed. I couldn't even watch it cause of the bad CG.

6. Man those World Trigger scenes aren't bad at all. Why does everyone say it's low budget??

7. And I knew that there were a lot of shows movies that they made in addition but I wanted to limit them to the big Jump ones that I remember. Neither is anywhere near perfect but I guess both have some upsides to them as well. Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Deidara, you're just confusing stylistic choices with quality.

The latest DB films are undoubtedly far better quality works, but if you just don't like the new animation style, there's just nothing to be done about it.

but yeah, the animation hasnt gotten WORSE by any stretch of the imagination, it's legions and legions better. whether it's "uglier" is totally up to opinion, though.
Am I? How does adding CGI into the fight scenes in an obvious way make it better? Hand drawn is clearly the superior format. Really??? These movies are better than Tree of Might, World's Strongest and Return of Cooler to you? The comedy was lame, the "glossy look" is cheap, and the power ups are insane. The latter can't be helped but a red haired Goku? Now he has blue hair? Sounds like poor fan fiction come to life. But I could forgive it all if it was at least appealing to look at. I'm not trying to force my opinion but CGI does not belong in my DB, I'm sorry...but like you said, opinions. To me it's the wrong choice on almost every conceivable level.

Sorry, but this:
http://www.absoluteanime.com/dragon_ball/goku[4].jpg

trumps this:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/pho...aiyan-God-dragon-ball-z-37682273-1600-900.png

Every. Single. Time

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

See the thing is Pierrot's animation is good on key episodes mainly, and yes following the manga is kind of really important. When an anime adaption of your favorite manga is announced, Is your first thought "Oh boy! I hope they give us a bastardized version of the story I enjoyed in the manga!" Or "Man, I am so looking forward to that two year worth of fillers because they rushed through the manga material really quickly! Chances are that one would get excited about an anime adaption because they want to see their favorite manga scenes competently animated. Of course every company has it's highs and lows, and I agree that YYH was a high for Pierrot. However, they've had far more lows than most companies such as an unfinished Flame of Recca, a sort of adaptation of TK Ghoul, Bleach having filler plots in the middle of arcs, and of course that long stretch of filler that Naruto had. I'm sorry, but a well animated piece of crap is still a piece of crap. Toei's stuff might look bad, but at least for the most part they generally follow the manga they're adapting, keep filler to a minimum, and their good episodes aren't really far removed from their bad ones. It's ugly, but a consistent ugly. Having a handful of Bleach and Naruto episodes that look amazing while the other 80% look really bad is better but not by enough.

Oh and I for one would not think a new Bleach would look good. It would be as mediocre as it's predecessor. You might wanna examine TK Ghoul a little closer, as it's animation at least for the first season was pretty flawed. I'll admit that the beginning of One piece is leagues below it's two rivals, but it's stepped up to at least be pretty presentable recently. All in all, Pierrot can't hide poor decisions in their adaptations with somewhat decent animation. An anime adaptation of a manga has to look good and follow the story of what it adapts.
Agreed on the anime being better for following the story. As for the fillers in the middle of arcs, unfinished endings, etc also agreed. However, was that really Pierrot's fault? They kept making fillers for Naruto because they had to lest they lose the slot or something like that right? I'd argue the show itself survived that long on just fillers because of what they did with the first part. Bleach fillers were ill-placed but that's cause Kubo was doing one long arc with no suitable break points and he's a slow writer. Flame of Recca was great but unfinished. I can only assume because the anime wasn't popular enough. Nothing to be done for that right? Let's not forget Toriko though. A butchered anime from start to finish that completely ruined any chance of a sequel when the manga itself offered a perfect cut off point. Fillers can always be skipped over or ignored. Better that than a canceled show or a butchered ending IMO. I plan to watch TG at some point so yeah. Too bad about them not following the manga though. I can't stress how important that is to me.

But I'll be the first to admit that no studio is perfect. Look at Bones, generally accepted as a great studio but look at what they did to Soul Eater and the first FMA. Just as an example.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top