Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is completely off topic and also the stupidest thing I've read all week, please stop it or when I get off work and have time to deal with this there are going to be warnings handed out.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Do you even read what you write? You said it's not even in top 5 even though it released a new episode. That's why I posted the screenshot. I couldn't care less if it's consistently there in top 5 or not.
Yeah and it wasnt. You coming back 50 minutes later with a screenshot doesnt disprove what I said.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Long running just means it runs for a long time. A full year or more if it's popular enough to continue (like how Fairy Tail was planned for a year at first) is long running when most shows end after 3 months. Being set for 50 eps initially doesn't mean it's going to end at that point, that's how long running shows start. There's no point in paying for 200 weeks of a timeslot before they even know if it'll be successful.

Back to more on-topic-ish stuff though, we'll see Ziga's first ranking once the new ToC is out right? I thought it was the weakest ch 1 of the three new series by a good bit personally but I find Kaiju stuff pretty boring in general.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
This is completely off topic and also the stupidest thing I've read all week, please stop it or when I get off work and have time to deal with this there are going to be warnings handed out.
The Golden Week effect...
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yeah what tirakai said. I understand Chocobar’s point, world trigger or Ft or Gintama how they were given additional years or cours would be true long runners but anything past the 24-26 threshold can be classified as a long runner. Just end it there.

Ziga had the best or 2nd best first chapter imo, I cannot fathom Juju being the best. If it survives I’ll try it again but man it was tough to read.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Jujutsu's first 3 chapters gave off a strong early Bleach appeal to me for some reason, if it does end up surviving I think it'll be as the 'Bleach replacement' people have been trying to push every new battle shounen as the past few years. It's the first that actually kind of feels like Bleach.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,721
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Finally got Shonen Jump 50th anniversary volume 1 artwork in my hands. Interesting to see how Go Nagai, Buronson, Akimoto, Kurumada, Yudetamago, and Takahashi, spoke of how Hiroshi Motomiya and Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho were their inspiration.

Now let's see if I manage to find where to buy volume 2 (90s) and, then to wait to August for volume 3 artwork.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jujutsu kaisen seems to be the most popular out of the 3 on Japanese Twitter, but we all know that doesn't mean much of anything. I like Noahs Notes premise (I think that's what everyone is attracted to) but the characters are just pretty bland and uninteresting. Especially the female lead. She's just there for fanservice and to be dumb
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No its not because now you're saying that every anime with 50 episodes are long runners which is false. "Long running" implies that a show has no set end date and can go on for years Black Clover is set to end by September which means it would have been running for only a year. One year is not what a longrunner makes. Also I don't attack Black Clover just the people who like it there's a clear difference.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

You were already wrong about it being consistently in the top 5. Do you really expect people to take your word for it?
They dont need to. They can just click the ssme link on your google archive, switch to may 3 and see that i am not lying. You not even admitting it is more strange.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
On mains, I reread Act Age's chapters but was I the only one who could not tell if the assistant to the director was a guy or girl until seeing cover of chapter 5? I understand that the female fanbase in shonen is very prominent nowadays so to appeal to them authors can make male characters very effeminate... I honestly sometimes have a hard time figuring out the gender if it's not clearly stated or shown. Same thing with one of Boze's mains, I just could not tell:
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
"Sequels" can be stupid, but they exist. Those 3 titles were indeed impacting a lot, but now it's those other 3 (for the action jump manga). You may think it's stupid, but this is the truth.
Is it though? I love MHA but it's far from the reach any of the big 3 had. MHA, BC are all basking in the spotlight that series like Bleach, Naruto and OP pushed really hard to establish outside Japan. Their international sales show that. People talk about anime and manga so much these days because of the effects those 3 had. Those 3 and series like Death Note, FMA.
As much as I'd like to say there is a new "Big 3", there isnt and there won't be. Right now, you can either take the big 3 for what the pillars are according WSJ covers but that doesnt really mean they are the "big 3".
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is it though? I love MHA but it's far from the reach any of the big 3 had. MHA, BC are all basking in the spotlight that series like Bleach, Naruto and OP pushed really hard to establish outside Japan. Their international sales show that. People talk about anime and manga so much these days because of the effects those 3 had. Those 3 and series like Death Note, FMA.
As much as I'd like to say there is a new "Big 3", there isnt and there won't be. Right now, you can either take the big 3 for what the pillars are according WSJ covers but that doesnt really mean they are the "big 3".
To be fair those titles were released during what was essentially the peak Japanese popularity in the west so they're obviously bigger because there was much more to give out back then, Borders was still a thing and people where actively pursuing any Japanese memorabilia back then since it was the cool thing to do and its just by a coincidence that the three biggest Japanese titles in the US (barring One Piece unfortunately) were also the biggest titles in Japan. Now if you compare the top three best selling titles from 10 years ago (Naruto, Death Note, Bleach) to now (One Punch Man, My Hero Academia Tokyo Ghoul) you see a huge shift in the paradigm of trends. Given that nowadays we have more options to consume this media there's not going to be a huge influx of sales in one specific market and just as TV is dying so is printed media and they are essentially other ways to gauge the popularity of properties. I don't think "the Big 3" were what opened the flood gates to manga being popular internationally but they were essentially the most prominent and recognizable titles to come from that bubble era.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I wonder if, when OP, Naruto and Bleach were called "Big 3", the fans of SD, Hokuto and Dragon Ball were like "Big?! You kids don't know what big means!". XD

But the label "Big 3" is more of a western thing, right?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fervently praying for top 6 debut for Ziga.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wonder if, when OP, Naruto and Bleach were called "Big 3", the fans of SD, Hokuto and Dragon Ball were like "Big?! You kids don't know what big means!". XD

But the label "Big 3" is more of a western thing, right?
Yep, but those 3 were promoted together alot. Jump knew that those 3 were the biggest
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Same video as before, but now... with SOUND!

 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Remember when the TOC used to come out around 10 EST every Tuesday night? Good times.
 

TheEnhancedExe

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2017
Messages
281
Reaction score
344
Age
29
Country
Germany
Remember when the TOC used to come out around 10 EST every Tuesday night? Good times.
Remember when spoilers used to come out on Tuesday and the scanlated chapters on Wednesday? Can't believe nearly 4 years have passed since then.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
The wait is over


Act-age...

did, did I read that right? Ziga almost at the bottom? (goodbye then)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top