Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru

that was actually more than what I expected

when it feels like it is more animated than an anime PV:derp
Reminds me that I need to get back on to Jujutsu, I keep postponing it every week. I'll admit I wasn't impressed with the first 10+ chapters, but with all the promotion its being getting is working and it is making me want to catch up
 

Savi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
352
Reaction score
357
Gender
Male
Country
Japan

that was actually more than what I expected

when it feels like it is more animated than an anime PV:derp
So the Japanese pronounce it Kousen and not Kaisen?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Chainman is “interesting”.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Chainsaw Man was okay. wasn't crzy about it
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I fucking loved the first Chainsaw chapter. It felt really heartwarming despite all the craziness. I'll check out the other two series as well.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Chainsaw was decent, seemed unclear where backstory and present day occurred without having to read over three times.

Doesnt seem like something that will light the slaes charts on fire, and the end goal / drama / plot of the story is unclear/undefined.
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I really didn't like chainsaw, I expected something better than this...
Too much blood and it was really too dark for a jump series
Curious about the next two series
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Aren't they all meant to be 'Dark Fantasy'? I wonder how comparable they'll really be, if we'll have some kind of competition to see who can be the most grimderp or if dark fantasy just means they've all got demons in them.

I can't imagine either of the next two having an edgier intro than this but you never know.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I dunno, I kinda liked Chainsaw. It was a different dish among the streams of generic nonsense we keep getting. It wasn't spectacular but it was definitely different from what we are used to, even that last panel of the last page where he just says "Sounds like heaven".
The mangaka did a good job in telling us that all he wants is a normal dream with normal things, so that last line actually hit well.

Lets see if this one lasts.
Dark Fantasy is the theme of this round eh? Guess they are trying to capitalize on TPN being popular.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It was a different dish among the streams of generic nonsense we keep getting. It wasn't spectacular but it was definitely different from what we are used to,
how is it different then all the failed "leads that can transform" series that we got? I dont know if I agree with "different from what we are used to."
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I wouldn't say it very different, it's pretty much just an exorcist series after all. Felt like if Amalgam was an exorcist manga to me.
 

Trigunblitz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
28
Age
31
Country
United States
I personally enjoyed Chainsaw Man a lot. Not perfect by any means but there were a lot of highlights during my first read:

-the art is great and matches the tone. The artist has a real mastery of color design beyond almost anything I’ve seen in most of jump
-the debt burden is very relatable and the main character is decently created (if 2 dimensional for now)
-the chainsaw dog is awesome in my opinion!!
-blends a lot of dark material with Shōnen dream type stuff in a non-cringey way

Negatives:
-the villain motivation for what he does at the end seemed kind of slapped together
-the whole devil and magic system seems very unconstrained
-the world building is almost nonexistent. Just a well done focus on character and action
-the chainsaw dog that I liked won't be in the story anymore :(
 

Trigunblitz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
28
Age
31
Country
United States
Introduction:
-My favorite series are FMA, Bakuman, Death Note, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Onepunch Man, and Bleach (for style after it went bad)
-I enjoy MHA, but don't keep up to date
-I can't stand BC, but you're welcome to your opinion
-Promised Neverland is better than MHA and BC
-I will not be joining in conversations about MHA vs BC nor digital sales fantasies until real data comes out ;)

-I only keep current with One Piece, Onepunch Man, and Blue Exorcist. I also read "Jump Starts" 100% of the time

Nice to meet you all :) I've lurked for over a year.
 

Haru Hana

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 15, 2018
Messages
45
Reaction score
26
Age
33
Country
The Wall
I kinda like Chainsaw Man. I can't help but found it's somewhat similar to Kimetsu: the art is rough, blood and body parts everywhere, and a boy who want nothing but a normal life but his fate refuses it. The plot is pretty simple but the strong point of the first chapter is the MC. I can even feel how much pain he's gone through and willing to go so he can have enough money just for one more meal. He gives off the same honest and "innocent" vibe as Tanjirou, yet totally different at the same time. I hear Fire Punch is a trainwreck with weird plot which is not really my type, but this is WSJ so it maybe different. Anyway I look forward for the next chapter.

@Trigunblitz Welcome. Just in case you are not the blitz I know have you read Kimetsu no Yaiba? If not then I recommend checking it. As I said above Chainsaw Man and Kimetsu no yaiba share many things so you probably like it too.
 

Trigunblitz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
28
Age
31
Country
United States
@Haru Hana I started Kimetsu No Yaiba when it first came out. I thought it was refreshing in tone, but life got busy. I meant to pick it back up. Thanks for the rec. I'll start it again since I like darker and more seinen Shonen Jump series. I really need to try to stay current with more active SJ series.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@ChocoBar9 If I'm your enemy because of MHA I'll give you credit. If because of Black Clover...well you probably liked Toriko too :derp

Enough BC bashing for me though
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
-I will not be joining in conversations about MHA vs BC nor digital sales fantasies until real data comes out ;)
Already the smartest poster in the thread.

I started Kimetsu No Yaiba when it first came out. I thought it was refreshing in tone, but life got busy. I meant to pick it back up. Thanks for the rec. I'll start it again since I like darker and more seinen Shonen Jump series. I really need to try to stay current with more active SJ series.
If you end up enjoying Kimetsu, you should look into buying the Viz volumes. It's one of the few currently running Jump manga that you can easily be up to date with the volumes since there's only 3 so far (with the next one coming January).

Also, you don't have to @ the users, you can just quote them.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Introduction:
-My favorite series are FMA, Bakuman, Death Note, Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Onepunch Man, and Bleach (for style after it went bad)
-I enjoy MHA, but don't keep up to date
-I can't stand BC, but you're welcome to your opinion
-Promised Neverland is better than MHA and BC
-I will not be joining in conversations about MHA vs BC nor digital sales fantasies until real data comes out ;)

-I only keep current with One Piece, Onepunch Man, and Blue Exorcist. I also read "Jump Starts" 100% of the time

Nice to meet you all :) I've lurked for over a year.
I suggest you get current with BLack Clover. Its really made significant gains in the storytelling front since its incredible start. With how much world and character development has occurred, its difficult to imagine that it doesnt stand on the same level or higher than its contemporaries especially in the current climate of the magazine.

Further please read Owari no Serafu and Platinum End.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top