Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
The character is explaining his abilities

What a surprise...
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
When I saw this Oda comment Eiji Nizuma came to my mind, he doesn't change clothes even to go to the new year's party. xD
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Still no Bozebeats, I have no clue what viz is going :(
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You do realize the reason this happens whenever a series gets an anime is because scan teams get more manpower from more interest in the series, right? Number of views mean very little to 95% of Manga Editors, and release speed is generally based on how many people you can get who are interested in working on a series. A big group can have 50 people, but if only 3 of those are interested in a project, you're still screwed for that project.

In HZ's case, you have an unpopular series with a massive workload, and editing of a high difficulty (check amount of text on images that has to be redrawn). So no one's interested in working on it, and even if people are, most have no experience, so they often can't, or they simply disappear once they realize how much they have to do. We used to do 3 Jump series in one day for a few months, and HZ is easily >2x the workload of any of them, with like 1/3 the manpower. Not to mention large amounts of action redraws, which require more effort and speed lines which complicate things. I'm not a good redrawer, but I tried helping out on one of the later chapters and it took me almost 10 hours to finish it, and even then I left some of the harder pages to other people. Then there's every other job on top of that...159 had roughly 20 redraws, and that's a fairly small amount for the series. 160 only has ~5 which is why we were able to release it so quickly, but by my count ch165 has over 50, and that's quite normal for a fighting chapter (Note the Inter-High was almost 60 chapters of straight fights). For # redraws comparison, the latest chapters of OP, Dr Stone, HxH and HQ all had ~5, RxL ~10, MHA ~15, Soma had ~20, BC ~30, TPN ~40.

Nobody out there is more passionate about this series than I am, and nobody is as frustrated as I am that we can't be up to date. I spend more time than I can count working on it almost daily, but it's not enough. We will never get up to date as things stand. Well I guess we could do rubbish editing and spam release it, but I'd rather jump off a cliff. You could pay us $1000 a chapter and it wouldn't change a thing, because time is the problem. The only hope of ever doing that is the anime being a success in the West and getting more people who are able and willing to work on it, but even then, managing this series weekly is a lot to ask.

All of this and I haven't even spoken about the translations yet, which weren't a massive problem until this pro arc, but now there are tons of cultural nuances to explain. Even so, it's still a very text heavy series and that takes a lot of time to both translate and typeset. Plus everyone has other projects to work on too.

I wanted to keep this short, but ended up blabbering. Anyway, I hope I've given you some insight on why we're so damn slow. It sucks and there's nothing we can do about it. That's why it annoys me to no end when people think they know everything and give stupid reasons like "They delay it becuz they get no views!!"
I apologize for my ignorance on this subject matter. I guess I let my views on MS and the like cloud my perceptions of other scan groups.

I do hope the anime helps garner more interest in the series. We don't even know the studio that's doing it, do we?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I think it's a pretty common misunderstanding, unless they've personally helped work on a translation people tend to underestimate how time-consuming it is to have decent typesetting and redrawing and such, especially when it's just a few people doing it as a hobby. Translating is often the quickest part by quite a bit (especially for kids magazines like WSJ where there's furigana on everything), unless there's a lot of in-depth cultural stuff to explain.

It's not just a matter of changing the Japanese into English, that's just step 1 of many.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Ill just never understand the passion for scanning/fansubbing as you do so much work in so little time for no compensation and then you have to do it again the next week, lather, wash, and repeat for like say 5-20+ years.And then the people one does it for almost seem like they believe they are morally obligated to be served the chapters or are critical (bad scan quality, this random word has a spelling mistake = trashy scan, didnt/did translate sound effect = awful).

Imagine what all that time scanning/fansubbing could do if those manhours were turned towards other aspects of life, educational and vocational pursuits could be made, money could be earned, lives could be saved. Your redrawing hours could have been put towards becoming the next greatest Web Comic artist.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Ill just never understand the passion for scanning/fansubbing as you do so much work in so little time for no compensation and then you have to do it again the next week, lather, wash, and repeat for like say 5-20+ years.And then the people one does it for almost seem like they believe they are morally obligated to be served the chapters or are critical (bad scan quality, this random word has a spelling mistake = trashy scan, didnt/did translate sound effect = awful).

Imagine what all that time scanning/fansubbing could do if those manhours were turned towards other aspects of life, educational and vocational pursuits could be made, money could be earned, lives could be saved. Your redrawing hours could have been put towards becoming the next greatest Web Comic artist.
I did some fansubbing work myself for about 3 years and it was out of passion for the thing I was working on mostly and because I wanted to improve some of my skills and learn new things. That's my story though. It also might be the feeling of wanting to share something you consider truly great with the rest of the world. The amount of amazing manga out there that don't even have 1 chapter translated is insane, it's frustrating the US manga industry is so behind(and shit xD). The French manga scene is literally eating up anything they can.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
When you're the translator, it's a good way to give yourself regular practice with things that are fun to read anyway plus it results in you producing lots of results you can look back on. I'd imagine many re-drawers are the same but with regular art practice instead of Japanese.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The US manga industry and the industry in general are behind because it is even harder to do it legally like almost anything else. It is not just steal some pages on the internet and do the editing job, it has negotiations, licensing, the material has to come from Japan, all this part can take already months and then there is the actual translation and editing part, with translations and editing decisions to be made since it is professional, things are not decided by one person only, then the Japanese publisher has to approve the translated and edited material, sometimes the author himself has to approve, which may take even more time. Then there is actual release with printing and distributing. I probably missed some steps there.
So, the same way that Manga Editors are misunderstood about the amount of job it takes, the publishers are even more misunderstood.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I dont think there is anyway that everything could ever be translated in every language. Even if US industry increased its output by a factor of 10 or even 20, a lot of stuff would still not even be done.

I dont even think regular novels even make it, and that goes in the reverse too.

--

I also dont feel like I, as an American, can complain since other countries dont even have a manga industry, so they are like litrally out of luck.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
The US manga industry and the industry in general are behind because it is even harder to do it legally like almost anything else. It is not just steal some pages on the internet and do the editing job, it has negotiations, licensing, the material has to come from Japan, all this part can take already months and then there is the actual translation and editing part, with translations and editing decisions to be made since it is professional, things are not decided by one person only, then the Japanese publisher has to approve the translated and edited material, sometimes the author himself has to approve, which may take even more time. Then there is actual release with printing and distributing. I probably missed some steps there.
So, the same way that Manga Editors are misunderstood about the amount of job it takes, the publishers are even more misunderstood.
Why is France so ahead then?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hey all, just wanted to leave a link here to an interview I recently conducted with the Editor-In-Chief of English Weekly Shonen Jump, Andy Nakatani. Nothing too juicy, but just a couple of details I thought you might appreciate... http://www.multiversitycomics.com/interviews/andy-nakatani-intervivew/
Given the success of these two manga series, alongside the recent release of the English Dub for the Haikyu!! anime and the announcement of an anime for “Hinomaru Zumo,” could we see either of these two series join English Weekly Shonen Jump’s line-up this year?

AN: I wouldn’t say no.
--

Give me HQ please, the scan quality has declined to unacceptable levels :( :( :(
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Given the success of these two manga series, alongside the recent release of the English Dub for the Haikyu!! anime and the announcement of an anime for “Hinomaru Zumo,” could we see either of these two series join English Weekly Shonen Jump’s line-up this year?

AN: I wouldn’t say no.
--

Give me HQ please, the scan quality has declined to unacceptable levels :( :( :(
He might as well should've said no. What do we know anyway, we're just clueless and they are the pros. They're currently focusing on Love Rush and Red Sprite, both are great and better than Haikyuu, Hinomaru and Kimetsu.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why is France so ahead then?
There is probably a very good historical explanation for this, but I'm no specialist. However, it is evident that America has its own comics and the interest in manga is not that high. You can see the difference of tone on Wikipedia.

France:
"Since its introduction in the 1990s, manga publishing and anime broadcasting have become intertwined in France, where the most popular and exploited shōnen, shōjo and seinen TV series were imported in their paper version. Therefore, Japanese books ("manga") were naturally and readily accepted by a large juvenile public who was already familiar with the series and received the manga as part of their own culture."

USA:
"The growth of manga translation and publishing in the United States has been a slow progression over several decades."
 
Last edited:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Nice interview, but I wish he didn't dodge the questions so often.
 

Cavaner

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 15, 2017
Messages
16
Reaction score
7
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
Nice interview, but I wish he didn't dodge the questions so often.
Thanks! Yeah, it was hard to pin him down on some things. Hoping that'll be avoided with future interviews though, once there's more of a relationship there :)
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yeah it seems he was trying to maintain his integrity as the EiC. I don't blame him though, he's not really in a position to say anything for certain.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top