Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Neverland doesn't necessarily have bad characters, but it's characters aren't that strong either. It's carried pretty hard by the story.
Not always. In some stories (plot-focused stories), the characters are just, well, plot devices, they obey the plot.
You guys convinced me. I really don't give a damn to The Promised Neverland characters and just the plot matters so it is the perfect example. XD

Death Note. Its carried primarily by its themes and story but the characters are not good.
Say for yourself, I think the characters in Death Note are very interesting to say the least.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Say for yourself, I think the characters in Death Note are very interesting to say the least.
Yeah like everyone's favorite character Misa. Don't forget two characters who's only defying trait is that they're two halves of the same character.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah like everyone's favorite character Misa. Don't forget two characters who's only defying trait is that they're two halves of the same character.
Because of Misa you are putting everybody in the same package? And how dare you talk bad about Misa-chan? XD
I don't know who you are talking about.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
In plot-focused stories, the recommended is that the author doesn't fall into extremes and balance both, plot and characters. A guy who does it very well, despite the endings, is Urasawa. And I think Death Note is not that poor. I mean, its characters are not "deep", but at least they have strong presence and mannerisms (oh no, bad flashbacks of people sitting like L). Neverland, on the other hand, is not so memorable in this department. Most people I know, at least, don't read the manga because of the cast.
 
Last edited:

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I remember enjoying Nami vs. Kalifa. Not cause Kalifa was a good character or the fight was great. Cause of obvious reasons.

That being said has it ever been asked why modern manga/anime use fanservice much more compared to 90s/early 00s series?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In plot-focused stories, the recommended is that the author doesn't fall into extremes and balance both, plot and characters. A guy who does it very well, despite the endings, is Urasawa. And I think Death Note is not that poor. I mean, its characters are not "deep", but at least they have strong presence and mannerisms (oh no, bad flashbacks of people sitting like L). Neverland, on the other hand, is not so memorable in this department. Most people I know, at least, don't read the manga because of the cast.
Urasawa is really good character writer is all I mean he started his career doing character centric stories like Yawara and Master Keaton before jumping into mystery thrillers like Monster and 20th Century Boys he just never lost his touch in writing characters ontop of giving us great stories (despite shitty endings). I don't think Neverland's characterization is that poor but the author is already making the same mistake as other "mystery box" manga where the mystery surrounding the story take center stage over the cast and this wouldn't be a problem with just a handful of characters yet Neverland just added a slew of expendables while leaving other half on the bus. The problem with Death Note's characterization is that none of the core cast are memorable (save L but that's because he's quirky for the sake of quirky) and they usually exist to be idiots to make Light look cool or to represent an ideal and Light himself stops being interesting when he loses any traces of gray morality after killing Naomi. The manga is a trashy cat and mouse thriller but when you try to think of it as anything but it falls apart.
Because of Misa you are putting everybody in the same package? And how dare you talk bad about Misa-chan? XD
Oh no its not that. Misa's awfulness stands out more than anything else in the entire cast is all.

I don't know who you are talking about.
You're proving my point man.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I remember enjoying Nami vs. Kalifa. Not cause Kalifa was a good character or the fight was great. Cause of obvious reasons.
:3c
The only interesting tidbit of that fight is knowing that Nami might be gay.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm not proving your point, it has been years since I read Death Note and although I like it, it is not my favorite series by far and as such I don't have any obligation to remember the story.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Apparently there's a new TOC guy.
91 ◆nPUAr9RtHUD6 (スップ Sd3f-yDfa)2018/02/21(水) 09:57:39.51ID:Vff4Lqacd
13号

ブラクロ ※巻頭C
ストーン
鬼滅
ネバラン
斉木 ※Cカラー(終) ※17号に斉木番外編&新作読み切り掲載予定
ヒロアカ
ハイキュー
勉強
相撲
岸部露伴は動かない ※Cカラー
ボウズ
ソーマ
ハンター
ボルト ※Cカラー
銀魂
アクタ
ゆらぎ
青春
ロボ
リコピン

14号 巻頭ネギとリンゴの大冒険 (伊原大貴)
Cカラー

15号 召喚士アレモの悪魔目録 (原作:ポン 作画:若尾和洋)
16号 CAT&FISH (岸本斉史)
I'd love it if this were real, a 3 series serialization round sounds exciting. Or is one of them a one shot? Any info on the author from No. 14?
 

Tymano

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2018
Messages
285
Reaction score
329
Age
26
Country
United States
I'd love it if this were real, a 3 series serialization round sounds exciting. Or is one of them a one shot? Any info on the author from No. 14?
The author for No. 14 is Daiki Ihara, who did Yukimi Daifuku from Jump+, No. 15 is a new author and No. 16 author is Kishimoto.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
That being said has it ever been asked why modern manga/anime use fanservice much more compared to 90s/early 00s series?
Because that’s probably the thing they allow to show nowadays lol.

For example, i’m reading orange road right now and it has topic on underage drinking and smoking. You can’t do that with modern romance manga. Also you don’t need fanservice to drive the plot with the old manga.

City Hunter has tons of adult theme in a shonen magazine.

You can’t show too much gore either these days.

But you can be more open minded and have more characters diversity compare to the old days (i think?)
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm not proving your point, it has been years since I read Death Note and although I like it, it is not my favorite series by far and as such I don't have any obligation to remember the story.
You say a series have interesting characters yet you can't remember them? :-_-
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I hope thats fake, i don't want Robot in the last place ;-;
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Whelp at least one group made it out of Jump GIGA.

Can’t wait to see what they will bring.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I kinda like the fact that they seem to be giving this a darker tone. If they went with some of the comic elements as in the original, it wouldn't translate well.
Also, the fact that they are sticking to the Grand Fisher storyline is perfect. If the movie does well, they can expand it to SS arc.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
Are any of the supposed new series based off one-shots? Seems fake, though. Kishimoto back to Jump? Wasn't he going to go monthly?
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
WSJ Circulation Oct-Dec 2017: 1,813,333 - (was 1,840,833 from Jul-Sept 2017)

Competitors
Sunday - 306,000 (311,167 in Jul-Sept)
WSM - 840,667 (883,804 in Jul-Sept)

Overall over 4 seasons of 2017

Jump:1.91 million-----1.85 million-----1.84 million-----1.81million
Magazine:960k-----930k-----880k-----840k
Sunday:320k-----310k-----310k------300k
Source: https://www.j-magazine.or.jp/user/printed/index/39
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are any of the supposed new series based off one-shots? Seems fake, though. Kishimoto back to Jump? Wasn't he going to go monthly?
Not him, his brother.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
I remember enjoying Nami vs. Kalifa. Not cause Kalifa was a good character or the fight was great. Cause of obvious reasons.

That being said has it ever been asked why modern manga/anime use fanservice much more compared to 90s/early 00s series?
90s and 00s have their fair share of fanservice (for straight men) though. Contemporary anime/manga may seem to be using much more fanservice because 1. There are much more anime being produced in total 2. More are being exported outside of Japan.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
Not him, his brother.
岸本斉史 is Masashi Kishimoto. Or you mean that his brother was the one who went to a monthly publication?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top