Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I'll probably get backlash from this, but honestly, I like Jujutsu because I think it's "cool". Its hard to explain, but I think the best way to explain it would be using Bleach as an example.
.....
I pretty much agree. Bleach stylistically was really cool. The anime adaptation (despite some of the filler) was really dope as well. The openings/endings were great, and its OST had that cool spanish strings going on.
I remember seeing many author comments when Bleach ended stating how they found it so "cool".
People can diss Kubo for the lack of background all they want but his style of drawing fights is intriguing as fuck. Very cinematic and stylistic. He takes up a lot of panels doing it, which some hate, but he does it incredibly well. The other person who takes it up even further is Murata with OPM.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'll probably get backlash from this, but honestly, I like Jujutsu because I think it's "cool". Its hard to explain, but I think the best way to explain it would be using Bleach as an example.

While I was reading Bleach about two years ago, I was completely aware of its flaws. Asspulls, literal Jesus MC, things being left unexplained, etc. But what kept me reading was that "cool" factor. Character designs, art style, the premise, the shinigami powers. I thought all of them were cool, and that's really what drew me in. The character designs and art syle were just top tier. Some like Ulqiorra had the right amount of edge to not come across as overbearingly edgy, others like Grimjow and Kenpachi were just plain cool characters. Zoro is another great example of this type of character.

Of course, Jujutsu isn't on the same level of Bleach, but it does give me that "cool" vibe that not many other manga have. The "blind but strong" character archetype is one of my favorites, and as much as the main character being able to control the demon inside him is cliche, I still think it's cool. I won't really miss it if it gets axed, but I would definitely like to see it through to its end, however long that is.
I actually have a good observation about this.

People opinion change when they binge a series from start to finish, or really huge backlog as oppose to reading it weekly.

The very recent series that did this to me was Toriko. When I binged it i thought it is one of the best shounen ever. The world building, the characters, no females though Dx, everything.

Toward the end i don't see a any quality drop, sure there is a rush around 50 chapters for the ending, but overall it was a good experience.

The other two series that i have the same experience were Kuroko and Haikyuu.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
People opinion change when they binge a series from start to finish, or really huge backlog as oppose to reading it weekly.
I agree to this. For example, I used to go back to read one chapter from Bleach's last arc just because I was bored or I wanted to see something and I find myself going through like 25 chapters just because it's a lot more exciting and a better experience to read in a stretch. And these would be chapters that I would've hated or didn't like on a weekly basis. Yet I'd find myself really enjoying the whole experience.
For Toriko, though I hated it at first, I started reading it more at a stretch with many chapters at a time and that's when i started really enjoying it.

I think that's one of the reasons I fell in love with Kingdom. Just literally zipping past 300 chapters at a stretch.
Reading many chapters at a stretch really keeps the immersion level stable as long as the series does what it does well. In Bleach's case it was the stylistic fights and cool factor, in Kingdom's case it was the adrenaline rush and in Toriko's case it was the great world building and adventure setting.
 

Obitooooo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
190
Reaction score
228
Age
30
Country
Colombia
Total sales (12 - 18 March ) :

1) One Piece : 191.425
9) Black Clover : 72.824
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Total sales (12 - 18 March ) :

1) One Piece : 191.425
9) Black Clover : 72.824
How much has Black Clover sold in total (this year) by now?
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I’d say maybe 1 mil at best, depending on the back logs.
 

Obitooooo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
190
Reaction score
228
Age
30
Country
Colombia
How much has Black Clover sold in total (this year) by now?
Total minimum sales : 1.3 Million ( 1.4 Surely because i don´t have info of two week in November )
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
About my favorite series in Jump right now, I think it's like that but it's very difficult to make a rank of enjoyment since I like pretty much all of them lol

We Never Learn
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Black Clover
Noah's Notes
Promised Neverland
Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Gintama
One Piece
Act-Age
Ziga
Dr. Stone

On hold:
My Hero Academia

Dropped:
Boruto
Shokugeki no Soma
Bozebeats
Laserbeam
Jujutsu
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Does anyone know in what order the series of Jump would be in it's average sales of volumes? I'm trying to figure this out but I can't find the information except that OP, MHA and Haikyuu are the first three of the batch with like 1m and 500k per volumes respectively
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I actually have a good observation about this.

People opinion change when they binge a series from start to finish, or really huge backlog as oppose to reading it weekly.

The very recent series that did this to me was Toriko. When I binged it i thought it is one of the best shounen ever. The world building, the characters, no females though Dx, everything.

Toward the end i don't see a any quality drop, sure there is a rush around 50 chapters for the ending, but overall it was a good experience.

The other two series that i have the same experience were Kuroko and Haikyuu.
There's a big rush, probably the biggest I ever seen. Legit skipped 3 arcs in a single chapter, don't get how the editor was fine with that. That was probably the most disappointing single chapter I ever read in manga too. It skipped not only a lot of world building but you can tell by the duo's interactions that they had character development.

Toriko never really suffered a drop in entertainment value, that madman knew how to keep us entertained every week. I would definitely say there was a very noticeable drop in quality during the another arc and onward. Prior to the another arc, Shimabu would take the time to flesh out the area and give us this rich world building but with the rushing he did a lot of brief telling than showing.

I enjoy binge reading HZ the most. WCI is a pretty weak arc for me so I may have a different view point when I binge read that. Overall I agree with you there.
 

Luca11

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2017
Messages
100
Reaction score
51
Age
33
Country
Wake Island
Does anyone know in what order the series of Jump would be in it's average sales of volumes? I'm trying to figure this out but I can't find the information except that OP, MHA and Haikyuu are the first three of the batch with like 1m and 500k per volumes respectively
You mean total recorded average right? A rough estimate based on Oricon ranking would be:
OP: ~1,500,000-2,000,000
H&H: ~1,000,000-1,200,000
Haikyu: ~800,000-900,000
MHA: ~600,000-700,000
TPN: ~500,000
Soma: ~400,000
BC: ~200,000-250,000
Yuragi: ~110,000
Kimetsu: ~100,000-110,000
WNL: ~50,000-70,000
Dr. Stone: ~50,000
HZ: ~27,000-30,000

I probably have underestimated some of them, due to not taking into full account all the volumes sold Q12018.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
You mean total recorded average right? A rough estimate based on Oricon ranking would be:
OP: ~1,500,000-2,000,000
H&H: ~1,000,000-1,200,000
Haikyu: ~800,000-900,000
MHA: ~600,000-700,000
TPN: ~500,000
Soma: ~400,000
BC: ~200,000-250,000
Yuragi: ~110,000
Kimetsu: ~100,000-110,000
WNL: ~50,000-70,000
Dr. Stone: ~50,000
HZ: ~27,000-30,000

I probably have underestimated some of them, due to not taking into full account all the volumes sold Q12018.
Yep, in it's total, exactly like that. I had some placements in my mind but not the average number. Thanks for helping me with this. o/
 

Pietro

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2012
Messages
2,405
Reaction score
818
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
My favourites series at the moment:

One piece
Black clover
Dr. Stone
Neverland
My hero academia
Robot x laserbeam
Kimetsu no yaiba
Yuragi no yuuna san
Foodwars
Bozebeats
New manga of izekawa
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
I just realized something. This might be me being negative, but it might be possible that Yuuna could get axed during or shortly after its anime, especially if it doesn't increase the sales much. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but a couple of manga recently have been ending during or right after their anime. I think Girl's Last Tour, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, Keijo, even Umaru. What's weirder about Umaru is that I think it's end was announced before the second season even aired. If the Yuuna anime ends up not boosting the sales much, then I can honestly see it ending soon after.
HZ and BC are in similar situations imo, though it all depends on how much the sales of HZ and Yuuna increase. If they rise enough, I doubt they’ll go anywhere. The second BC reaches its peak its on the clock, and since the anime has like 6 months left, I’d say it’s not far off that point. Obviously it’d still have a year or two though.

Talking about new series these past two years, I’ve been looking back at Jump around 2010 ish, and it wasn’t uncommon for cancel fodder to rank 5-10 for their first rankings, before dropping a few chapters later. Most series didn’t start in the bottom. These days people get excited if a new series gets 7th or 8th... How things change.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Beastars really deserved it, I couldn't be happier that it won. Neverland will be fine either way.
I keep trying to read Beastars, but the art just completely turns me off. Maybe I'll get some alcohol this weekend and try again. :P
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It begins.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top