Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Hmm, no Dr.Stone stage
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I mean, they could always pull a Hinomaru Zumo, but I have no idea why they would do that.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Last edited:

conankudo

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
456
Reaction score
389
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Viz have been recycling images for years. A few months back they even reused a Seraph cover that they’d already used 2 years earlier lol. On that note, this is the first time HxH has had a cover in the 3 years I’ve been subscribed, despite it appearing for like 30 chapters in that period.
I m well aware - I m following ESJ since it is release when they were two weeks behind. My wording might have been too short: I meant they recycle images instead of doing a Jump start
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Apollo was kinda boring. Basically Jujutsu Kaisen tbh. Maybe it could be reworked into something interesting, but I won't hold my breath.
last year 3 of the 5 GFC entries were horror/exorcists/demons manga and 1 of them (Joreishi Rentarou no Yakusoku) actually won it despite being painfully generic
this year 2 of the entries so far are horror/exorcists/demons slaying manga

it's not that hard to see what these newbie authors are trying to do, they're trying to get popular by jumping on the most popular trend and making something that's easy to get into

so yeah...welcome to the current era of manga, I blame the success of Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul to a lesser degree for this
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I m well aware - I m following ESJ since it is release when they were two weeks behind. My wording might have been too short: I meant they recycle images instead of doing a Jump start
A Jump Start of what? Nothing new started in Jump (I think same with all thr other Shueisha magazines) this week. Jump+ stuff goes in the free section now.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I think he means using the cp from David or Japan's second chapters as a cover
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Have they ever used a colour page that appears within that issue for the cover?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
iirc
they used Boruto cp as a cover for issue 38 (3 Gintokis were on the Japanese cover)
they used Seraph cp as a cover for issue 19 (Haikyuu was on the Japanese cover)
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Act Age Mangaka drawing Samon-kun wa summoner
Excellent taste confirmed! Glad to see this Tweet got a really favorable response by Japanese fans and got a few thousand likes/retweets. Gosh, I just miss Samon so much.... I'd love to see a little cameo of them in an Act-Age chapter sometime. I really want Numa Shun to come back with a new comedy ASAP since neither of the 2 new gag comedies are really winning me over.
I wish the Japan author would've serialized the anti-pollution one instead of this. I wouldn't call this one bad, but I'm just not feeling it as much as the other one. As for David-kun, the art is really good, but I'm not loving the humor so far. A bit too toilet even for my taste
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
iirc
they used Boruto cp as a cover for issue 38 (3 Gintokis were on the Japanese cover)
they used Seraph cp as a cover for issue 19 (Haikyuu was on the Japanese cover)
issue 38 has chapter 26 of Boruto which has adult Naruto with the cover being Boruto posing
issue 19 has chapter 67 of Seraph is a purple haired girl (sorry never read/watched so idk her name) and the cover has (I assume) the MC large with 5 smaller characters standing infront of him.

I meant have they ever used an exact colour page that appears within that issue on the cover, (like if that shot of Naruto was issue 38 instead of Boruto posing)
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I wish the Japan author would've serialized the anti-pollution one instead of this. I wouldn't call this one bad, but I'm just not feeling it as much as the other one.
funnily enough, characters from Terra-chan started appearing in Japan this week

issue 38 has chapter 26 of Boruto which has adult Naruto with the cover being Boruto posing
issue 19 has chapter 67 of Seraph is a purple haired girl (sorry never read/watched so idk her name) and the cover has (I assume) the MC large with 5 smaller characters standing infront of him.

I meant have they ever used an exact colour page that appears within that issue on the cover, (like if that shot of Naruto was issue 38 instead of Boruto posing)
oh I see, thanks for the correction

Battle battle manga.
Japan is a battle manga and very unique one at that

gotta wonder if this lives and Japan uses all of his 47 ultimate moves and covers all the 47 parts of Japan, what will happen then? will this end?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Apollo felt like Hungry Joker only mediocre instead of terrible.
Wasn't a fan of the pretentious pseudo science like the 21g leaving the body where the experiment has NEVER been successfully replicated.
I don't like when writers include urban legends or hoaxes in their stories though as if they're fact.
It's like the lazy overuse of the bullshit "you never use 100% of your brain at once"
If you used 100% of your brain energy you wouldn't be super human or in regards to intelligence of psychic abilities
The brain has to allocate different percentages to different parts of the body so that the body fucking works.
People who don't understand science or only have a surface level understanding are incapable of writing believable science fiction.
Science fiction of course will bend rules and reality for the sake of fiction and entertainment but you shouldn't outright spout misinformation and pass it off as fact.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Man, I thought the Apollo one shot was garbage too, but are you really ranting about one of the least offensive parts of the one shot?
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Man, I thought the Apollo one shot was garbage too, but are you really ranting about one of the least offensive parts of the one shot?
Eh, things like that may seem small but they're a huge pet peeve of mine.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Still no competition for Build King ;bash:teehee
 
Last edited:

crazybear1337

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 16, 2017
Messages
20
Reaction score
5
Age
28
Country
Mexico
Hello, has Shonen Jump had a manga adaptation of a franchise from other medium (LN, Game, TV show) besides Blue Dragon RalGrad?
It seems something typical for other magazines but not in Jump.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top