Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I wonder why Shueisha doesn't care about Jujutsu. It would be nice for Jujutsu to get 1/10 part of the push Dr.Stone gets weekly.

On the other hand, since it looks Jujutsu won't get any cover until its anime announcement, I'm rooting for Act-age to get the cover of Issue 21.
I don't know why you think Shueisha doesn't care about Jujutsu, how can you even say that? 😆
I also don't know why you came to the conclusion that there will be no new covers until an anime announcement, that could could be true but I don't know why you say it like it is a fact.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Supposedly the color page mentions the manga ending in x numbers of chapters
Shokugeki no Souma since it had a color page? Though it could be fake as was the first TOC (poor me for spending time to translate on a fake thing)

Also, regarding the real TOC, makes more sense. Shueisha giving David a CP after being a flat out disaster in Volume 2 sales would have been too much.
Yui Kamio is still unranked, but it being this low already may indicate it doesnt have a great initial reception.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Shokugeki no Souma since it had a color page? Though it could be fake as was the first TOC (poor me for spending time to translate on a fake thing)

Also, regarding the real TOC, makes more sense. Shueisha giving David a CP after being a flat out disaster in Volume 2 sales would have been too much.
Yui Kamio is still unranked, but it being this low already may indicate it doesnt have a great initial reception.
Yeah for Souma, its not confirmed though so for all we know I got baited
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Yeah for Souma, its not confirmed though so for all we know I got baited
You would have thought that kind of a big thing would leak out by now? Guess we will see in few days. Huge respect for the 6,5 years it survived and the sales it has, but it has to be put out of its misery.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
You would have thought that kind of a big thing would leak out by now? Guess we will see in few days. Huge respect for the 6,5 years it survived and the sales it has, but it has to be put out of its misery.
Yeah, I think its bullshit so im gonna delete my post
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Supposedly the Souma color page mentions the manga ending in x numbers of chapters
Would make sense to me since even if we didnt get any countdown, we could assume there's probably like 5 or 6 chapters left? We got the final fight started and everything is pretty much done.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
4chan post says

"Only 15 chapters remain for Shokugeki No Soma. The announcement comes from the color page this chapter"

I am not sure WSJ would announce that many chapters in advance but would signal it survives this axe round. Unlikely that this is any true.
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
33
Country
France
Hi everyone,

I am new here, I hope to learn more about pre-publication and in manga in general and I wish we all have interesting conversations !
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Since we have so many new users, let's discuss our biggest pet peeves when it comes to misconceptions about the magazine.

My big 3 are; people thinking shonen is a genre. In this context it's a magazine demographic.

People thinking the ToC is an exact ranking of 8 weeks prior. The send in postcards influence the placement however the TOC is not a ranking and is influenced by many factors.

People thinking Jump being cutthroat is a new thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh and of course "the big 3" being a thing. It was a western marketing gimmick. During Bleach's big years other series were just as popular such Death Note, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, Yugioh, Prince of Tennis, Shaman King, Reborn!, Gintama, and D. Gray Man.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Since we have so many new users, let's discuss our biggest pet peeves when it comes to misconceptions about the magazine.

My big 3 are; people thinking shonen is a genre. In this context it's a magazine demographic.

People thinking the ToC is an exact ranking of 8 weeks prior. The send in postcards influence the placement however the TOC is not a ranking and is influenced by many factors.

People thinking Jump being cutthroat is a new thing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh and of course "the big 3" being a thing. It was a western marketing gimmick. During Bleach's big years other series were just as popular such Death Note, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, Yugioh, Prince of Tennis, Shaman King, Reborn!, Gintama, and D. Gray Man.
Bro why u gotta be so iamverysmart?
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
33
Country
France
On my side, for the misconception about the magazine that I believed for a long time :

Thanks to Bakuman, I thought the TOC was only based on the "popularity vote" that happened 8 weeks before, and worse than all I though every magazine were working that way.

Either way I realised soon enough that Shonen was not a genre (as shojo and seinen) but more about the targeted audience.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
people thinking shonen is a genre.
this is the most annoying thing. Doesnt help that popular official sights even categorize action shows as such but leave shonen out of non action genres.

Also that shonen cant be romance series...
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
this is the most annoying thing. Doesnt help that popular official sights even categorize action shows as such but leave shonen out of non action genres.

Also that shonen cant be romance series...
What are some good shonen romances btw? I've mostly only read shoujo romances and even those usually had mystical elements or were mainly slice-of-life. Harem and romance sideplots in action manga don't count. I seriously want to read some shounen romance.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
What are some good shonen romances btw? I've mostly only read shoujo romances and even those usually had mystical elements or were mainly slice-of-life. Harem and romance sideplots in action manga don't count. I seriously want to read some shounen romance.
Horimiya is a good starting point. Not really Jump related but whatever.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
What are some good shonen romances btw? I've mostly only read shoujo romances and even those usually had mystical elements or were mainly slice-of-life. Harem and romance sideplots in action manga don't count. I seriously want to read some shounen romance.
Weekly Shonen Magazine has had a lot.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India


Does the image works?
Thx for the confirmation.
Last time I used the same website and for some reason it didnt work, anyways part two of Kubos project.

Thanks for these.
I miss Kubo's art. Also, as I was scrolling down I had no idea what these were but they just screamed "Tite Kubo art".
Some people often say his art is generic but his art is unique in a less obvious manner.

Since we have so many new users, let's discuss our biggest pet peeves when it comes to misconceptions about the magazine.

My big 3 are; people thinking shonen is a genre. In this context it's a magazine demographic.
Agreed. I sorta get tilted every time people refer to shonen as a genre. So many sites out there which often have 1000s of people using mention shonen as a genre. It's sad that misinformation is being spread and no one seems affected by it.
It's like saying "PG 13" is a genre.

Oh and of course "the big 3" being a thing. It was a western marketing gimmick. During Bleach's big years other series were just as popular such Death Note, Hikaru no Go, Eyeshield 21, Yugioh, Prince of Tennis, Shaman King, Reborn!, Gintama, and D. Gray Man.
To be fair, when Bleach got popular aside from Death Note which was 2 years in length, none of the others sold as much as Bleach did. Prince of Tennis was already declining by then. But yeah, the term was a western gimmick based on the 3 series often showed on WSJ covers.

What is this? A oneshot?
Promotion for the characters Kubo designed for a game.
 

RingoRoadOnceMore

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 20, 2019
Messages
33
Reaction score
105
Age
32
Country
United States
What are some good shonen romances btw? I've mostly only read shoujo romances and even those usually had mystical elements or were mainly slice-of-life. Harem and romance sideplots in action manga don't count. I seriously want to read some shounen romance.
I like Bloom Into You, which is apparently shonen.
 

Blue Rock

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
559
Reaction score
2,777
Country
Turkey
What are some good shonen romances btw? I've mostly only read shoujo romances and even those usually had mystical elements or were mainly slice-of-life. Harem and romance sideplots in action manga don't count. I seriously want to read some shounen romance.
Ao no Flag from jump plus is very good. There is also Koe no Katachi, it has finished and have a movie adaptation.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top