Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I am sorry but that twitter post by yuma arclight guy regarding whether Naruto, Bleach and OP can survive/run in current age of WSJ is very terrible, misleading, incorherent and uninformative. It feels like the author has form his final opinion and conclusion, write it and during the write up he/she just feel in the blank whatever supposedly evidents and analysis that support his/her claim while ignoring everything else.
I ask, what may be my errors?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
It's a lot of shifts in the meta driving things, much of them caused by the Big 3. I go into more detail in this thread:

Dude.
STOP using this forum to promote your twitter account.
This discussion took place a month ago where everyone told you to stop and you said "Ok ok i'll stop".

There's a difference if your account had actual new information or data that is valuable. But it doesn't. So STOP IT.

Of all the things you seem to be doing from biased arguments to constantly bringing up S8 to prove some non-existent point, the one that annoys me the most is this.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Yeesh, chill guys. I'm just trying to promote discussion >>
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Yeesh, chill guys. I'm just trying to promote discussion >>
No. The discussion was LITERALLY happening in this very forum. There was no added benefit of you throwing your twitter account into this aside from you trying to get some hits. It's cringy and screams desperation. Learn to stop being so desperate for attention.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
We're blatantly arguing at this point which of the Big 3 could survive today, when I feel like a good topic that may be less divisive (I've jinxed it now) would be: which series do you think did poorly/below average in the past that might do well today?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
We're blatantly arguing at this point which of the Big 3 could survive today, when I feel like a good topic that may be less divisive (I've jinxed it now) would be: which series do you think did poorly/below average in the past that might do well today?
None, honestly. Maaaaaybe Psyren, if you consider it a failure (I really don't), but no series premiered before the meta shift really feels like it was "too early" so to speak.

No. The discussion was LITERALLY happening in this very forum. There was no added benefit of you throwing your twitter account into this aside from you trying to get some hits. It's cringy and screams desperation. Learn to stop being so desperate for attention.
I just provided the link to the thread because I didn't want to put in a giant wall of text, and the wording would be kinda strange to put in a post. I assure you, it wasn't for attention.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
We're blatantly arguing at this point which of the Big 3 could survive today, when I feel like a good topic that may be less divisive (I've jinxed it now) would be: which series do you think did poorly/below average in the past that might do well today?
Double arts probably.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
None, honestly. Maaaaaybe Psyren, if you consider it a failure (I really don't), but no series premiered before the meta shift really feels like it was "too early" so to speak.
.
None? How do you know?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well, not really, the thing that revived Dragon Ball was the DBZ: Battle of Gods movie
Actually, the thing that revived Dragon Ball was, and I shit you not, Dragon Ball Evolution. That movie was so ridiculously bad, it motivated Toriyama to abandon retirement and course correct the direction of the series, which then led to Battle of Gods.

In a weird way, we kinda owe Evolution a debt of gratitude.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
None? How do you know?
It's basic logic from my perspective. If the shift in the meta is caused by important things and surrounding factors having an unconscious effect of sorts, then logic dictates it's relatively unlikely that the failures of one point in time would suddenly be a hit in another, with a few exceptions maybe.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I just provided the link to the thread because I didn't want to put in a giant wall of text, and the wording would be kinda strange to put in a post. I assure you, it wasn't for attention.
Last time itself, you were told the best thing you could do is create a discussion thread on MH site itself. You would have no limit to how much you'd wanna discuss there.

Despite being told that you still shared your twitter account now. Stop trying to act like you didn't know the right way to have larger discussions on this site.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I really want S8 to be successful just out of spite at this point.
being a success it will be for sure, now if it deserves that success it is already another story, especially if we judge the first 6 chapters.
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
It's basic logic from my perspective. If the shift in the meta is caused by important things and surrounding factors having an unconscious effect of sorts, then logic dictates it's relatively unlikely that the failures of one point in time would suddenly be a hit in another, with a few exceptions maybe.
Are you Sharkbait alt?
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
There is such a thing called being "ahead of its time".
That's not to say cancelled series will 100% do better but a different era means possibilities of different outcomes.

Also why are people talking as if the current era is supremely different from the last one? MHA, KnY, BC, Jujutsu all primarily follow standard patterns of story and arcs that has existed for decades now. Just because a series like TPN exists right now, doesn't mean the whole era is different.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I don't know about Bleach but I feel like Naruto and OP would still do well if they began now, since the problem with modern battle shounen is that they tend to start either with lots of infodumping or spend all their run on fighting episodic forgettable one-off villains that add nothing to the story.

Naruto in its first couple volumes focused on building up team 7's relationship without needing to add pointless villains for conflict then jumped right into a big serious arc, all it'd have to do really is maybe cut out Konohamaru and the diarrhoea gag.

One Piece did have random villains but it also introduced core cast right away in pretty flashy exciting ways, and has its unique style.

And of course one benefit they both have is they both have pretty decent background worldbuilding without feeling a need to fill chapters with exposition before giving you any reason to care about their worlds.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
See, I don't really think it's a quality issue with the manga of today versus manga from yesteryear.

I think Jump has just become way less forgiving. They used to be way more lenient, where you'd have series like Magico that were allowed to run for like a year (IIRC) before ultimately being canned.

It's really about pacing. You NEED quick pacing with instant gratification to survive now. There's no longer a grace period, really.

Now, if THAT'S the criteria by which we judge a series' survivability, I can understand the argument. Although, I don't think the pacing was that much slower with the Big 3, really. I mean, with One Piece, yeah it's probably slower than today's hit manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top