Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorden Rivera

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2017
Messages
392
Reaction score
724
Age
29
Country
United States
You’d think Dr Stone would be more popular considering how much they hyped up the anime(even gave the series a spin-off).
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
I liked the new Mangaplus series enough, it's an interesting setting, but we'll have to see how it goes when the adventure starts. Moderately hopeful.
It's an intriguing premise for sure, but I kind of feel bad for the boy. If he's trying to locate 'morning', I'm afraid he's setting himself up for disappointment. 😕

Also, did their proofreader fall ill? That's the first time I've ever seen three mistakes in one chapter. Curtain's Up had one, too.


I liked it
the full color is being wasted on a badly lit manga where the artist only uses 3 or 4 colors
but i guess that was the plan, otherwise drawing full color would be very hard
With one chapter every two weeks, it should be possible.

I'm more impressed with Dricam, releasing two full-colour chapters a week. Though I'm guessing the simple art style helps.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
ACT-AGE Lead Color Page
I love the colours, but I don't like the flowers in Momoshiro's hair. Doesn't feel fitting for Princess Iron Fan.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wow, I thought Black Clover had surpassed World Trigger sales.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Wow, I thought Black Clover had surpassed World Trigger sales.
I don't think it ever did? DIdn't someone showed those graphs where we could compare their volume growth and sale/sale time and such?
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Still curious what you think about my points that:

Chainsawman: Multiple people here said due to the craziness/negative traits of women in the manga, that Fujimoto might hate women. But it's a series where almost all the characters, male and female are highly flawed in interesting ways. e.g. Aki beating up the MC is "cool/funny" but as soon as the women do bad things it's "Fujimoto hates women".

BNHA/(Mammo?): Simply having many topics "covered" doesn't means anything. If you want to go by "number" (as you did by making a large list of topics, as if having a larger list means "more progressive"), One Piece covers way more.
Of course the "number count" isn't what truly matters. For example, a lot of the subjects on that list simply exist in BNHA and nothing in particular is special about them.
Example: like "child abuse". Literally in BNHA the child abuse is "Adult abused child, child is now evil/now mentally traumatized." This occurs in probably a majority of Jump series lol. And is explored in far more depth in them as well. I don't think listing "BNHA has drugs. BNHA has trans people" means it's that progressive. Even One Piece has all of those. And again I think HxH is the most progressive, how it handles all of these issues is the most mature and insightful.

If you're totally done with these topics though it's all good.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
This occurs in probably a majority of Jump series lol.
How about you name those? Giving only 2 examples (One Piece and HunterxHunter) doesn't equal a majority.

Even One Piece has all of those.
You say that like it's something unexpected, that one of the longest ongoing manga in the magazine has covered a multitude of topics. How about listing some manga that are still relatively new or with a chapter count below 200 chapters covering, or even just mentioning, the topics of drug abuse or the social standing of LGBT people in the world of these manga.
 

Roacher

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
138
Country
Poland
Chainsawman: Multiple people here said due to the craziness/negative traits of women in the manga, that Fujimoto might hate women. But it's a series where almost all the characters, male and female are highly flawed in interesting ways. e.g. Aki beating up the MC is "cool/funny" but as soon as the women do bad things it's "Fujimoto hates women".
I think Fujimoto is kinda progressive because in Fire Punch one of main characters was
trans.
Regardless when Chainsaw Man get anime will be probably pretty popular and many people will complain.
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
BNHA/(Mammo?): Simply having many topics "covered" doesn't means anything. If you want to go by "number" (as you did by making a large list of topics, as if having a larger list means "more progressive"), One Piece covers way more.
Of course the "number count" isn't what truly matters. For example, a lot of the subjects on that list simply exist in BNHA and nothing in particular is special about them.
Example: like "child abuse". Literally in BNHA the child abuse is "Adult abused child, child is now evil/now mentally traumatized." This occurs in probably a majority of Jump series lol. And is explored in far more depth in them as well. I don't think listing "BNHA has drugs. BNHA has trans people" means it's that progressive. Even One Piece has all of those. And again I think HxH is the most progressive, how it handles all of these issues is the most mature and insightful.
Todoroki is evil now?

Did I miss something? Because I'm pretty sure he and dad are still in the process of slowly redefining their relationship, and that's not something I've seen too many times before. Especially not from the dad's POV.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Wow, I thought Black Clover had surpassed World Trigger sales.
World Trigger still does much better than BC, even after a hiatus that lasted two years. WT volumes 19 and 20 had a 239k and a 226k first week, respectively. That alone is more than BC could do in a month and now BC takes more than a month to cross 200k.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't think it ever did? DIdn't someone showed those graphs where we could compare their volume growth and sale/sale time and such?
World Trigger still does much better than BC, even after a hiatus that lasted two years. WT volumes 19 and 20 had a 239k and a 226k first week, respectively. That alone is more than BC could do in a month and now BC takes more than a month to cross 200k.
Yeah, but given the attention BC got after the anime, I past the last 2 years blindly believing it was selling more than 300k without even looking closely at its sales. Shame on me. It was a tilt.
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Yeah, but given the attention BC got after the anime, I past the last 2 years blindly believing it was selling more than 300k without even looking closely at its sales. Shame on me. It was a tilt.
It's selling more than 300k, if you check the top selling volumes charts (for 6 or 12 months). It doesn't sell 300k physically in a month, but sales after the first month also count.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, I meant those charts, thanks.
Though I am still surprised that WT kept growing after the anime ended and after a two year long hiatus. Like I expected it to drop to 100k or less with only the most hardcore fans in Japan to keep buying it, but that didn't happened. Real glad Ashihara got such loyal fans in his home country who love his work so much.
 

supercow297

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2018
Messages
665
Reaction score
745
Country
United States
Todoroki is evil now?

Did I miss something? Because I'm pretty sure he and dad are still in the process of slowly redefining their relationship, and that's not something I've seen too many times before. Especially not from the dad's POV.
Shigaraki and Eri respectively. Also, don't ignore the rest of what I said to poke a little hole and feel like you won the argument. Please respond to it properly if you want your opinion to be well-conveyed.

@Mammo:
I missed it when you said "I agree about other titles going in deeper on issues they tackle, that's why I didn't say MHA is the only progressive manga or it's most progressive, I said "one of the most progressive"". Thanks for highlighting that point.

How about you name those? Giving only 2 examples (One Piece and HunterxHunter) doesn't equal a majority.


You say that like it's something unexpected, that one of the longest ongoing manga in the magazine has covered a multitude of topics. How about listing some manga that are still relatively new or with a chapter count below 200 chapters covering, or even just mentioning, the topics of drug abuse or the social standing of LGBT people in the world of these manga.
Jump series with child abuse
Child abuse:
"Child abuse or child maltreatment is physical, sexual, and/or psychological maltreatment or neglect of a child or children, especially by a parent or a caregiver."
It's clearly present in a majority of series. If you restrict it to "by a parent or a caregiver" it becomes less common, but off the top of my head, Gintama, Sket Dance, Dragon Ball, Rurouni, etc. all have this "topic".

"BNHA covers the social standing of LGBT people, and drug abuse"
The burden of proof is now on you.

And now let me "name them".
Jump series that cover a lot of those topics by chapter 200

"those topics":
mental illness (twice), drugs (overhaul) domestic abuse (endeavor), children abuse (eri, shoto, shigy), prejudice against quirkless (deku) systemic flaws (stain), extreme libertarianism (redestro)

Roughly up to the chapter MHA is at:
  1. Gintama - systemic flaws (Aliens. Prince Ouji. Etc), mental illness (depression in Gintoki), domestic abuse (Kagura's arc), children abuse (Kagura's arc) prejudice against quirkless (lack of powers - Yato perception of humans, etc), extreme libertarianism (various characters, later on Utsuro)
  2. Slam Dunk - mental illness (depression, anxiety, etc.)
  3. Naruto - systemic flaws (Uchiha massacre), extreme libertarianism (Akatsuki, later Sasuke), prejudice against quirkless (Naruto), children abuse (Naruto)
  4. Bleach - domestic abuse (father beats up son. Sure you can say it's played for gags but we're just listing them, not analyzing their merit. More importantly Orihime). Libertarianism (Aizen), systemic flaws (Aizen), children abuse (Orihime), prejudice against quirkless (people with power looking down on those without all the time. Byakuya in the beginning, various shinigami towards Ichigo.) Drugs (quincies have doping fluid IIRC).
  5. Black Clover - Mental illness (Patri), Drugs (Sally) Domestic abuse, (many characters, e.g. Noelle), prejudice against quirkless (MC), systemic flaws (royalty vs commoners), extreme libertarianism (various characters. Elf leader for example.)
  6. Chainsawman: mental illness (Denji), domestic abuse (Power), children abuse (Makima -> Denji), prejudice against devils, systemic flaws (Denji's situation)...
I could go on and on. With more series, and more subjects/examples for each of the above series. Using the same logic that as long as the topic is "present", it's been covered by the series properly and it's progressive.

---

Besides, assigning words like "extreme libertarianism" and "systemic flaws" to BNHA makes it seem like Hori did something more than just create a villain who wants less quirk regulation and a villain who dislikes heroes that don't match his personal preference.



Also I just found this lol.

The basic point is that if you want to use the above points to prove that BNHA is a paragon of progressiveness you have to acknowledge as well that by that logic so is Naruto, Bleach, etc...
 
Last edited:

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Hori is as much a political or social analyst/critic as Kishi is a feminist.
Just because a word or concept is brought up in a series doesn't mean there's anything behind it.
My Hero Academia is full of surface level shit that could be cool but is never actually elaborated on with any real thought. It's just there to give the appearance of thought. Just surface level laziness.
The way it handles things like mental illness, drug use, or discrimination are absolutely laughable in how poorly they're portrayed and (un)executed.

Adding to that; Hori is as much of a feminist as Kishi as we well. Like Hori probably put the girls at the beginning of the Overhaul arc and patted himself on the back for including them despite completely forgetting them the rest of the arc. Dude is a huge hack when it comes to this kind of stuff. It really is just Naruto with superheroes and even worse pacing.
 
Last edited:

Ecchi Boy

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 31, 2011
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
1,307
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hori is as much a political or social analyst/critic as Kishi is a feminist.
Just because a word or concept is brought up in a series doesn't mean there's anything behind it.
My Hero Academia is full of surface level shit that could be cool but is never actually elaborated on with any real thought. It's just there to give the appearance of thought. Just surface level laziness.
The way it handles things like mental illness, drug use, or discrimination are absolutely laughable in how poorly they're portrayed and (un)executed.

Adding to that; Hori is as much of a feminist as Kishi as we well. Like Hori probably put the girls at the beginning of the Overhaul arc and patted himself on the back for including them despite completely forgetting them the rest of the arc. Dude is a huge hack when it comes to this kind of stuff. It really is just Naruto with superheroes and even worse pacing.
I disagree but a Opinion is opinion
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
MHA is the manga I read only for its paneling.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top