Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,386
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is even said that some of VGA volumes had sold 1 million copies the first edition.
Need some receipts for that, or is it hearsay and conjecture?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
If Act Age and/or Undead start selling million, they will put Kei Yonagi and Fuuko + (Andy) tagging as the face.

:oooh I forgot, if Akayashi becomes a fat hit then Jump will have to put Matsuri near the front, there is your female jump pillar lmao.


Nezuko could have been the face (piggy back along her brother) if Croc-sensei actually put her in as the magazine face for the last 4 years (Croc only put in Tanjiro for the Group Jump Cover).

The closest one before Emma would be Chitoge from Nisekoi, not Medaka.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What's with the desire to see a female editor or have a female protagonist as the face of the magazine? A lot of females read jump sure but first and foremost it's a magazine geared towards young boys. Hence have men's perspectives on stories, male protagonists as pillars and having men dictate the direction of the magazine seems like a no brainer.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I”s has sold 10,000,000 across 15 volumes, VGA sold 13,000,000 across 14 volumes, and orange road sold 20,000,000 across 18 volumes. It is even said that some of VGA volumes had sold 1 million copies the first edition. While these are not system seller sales these can definitely be considered pillars. Medaka box sold 5 million copies by 2013 (don’t know the current sales) across 22 volumes which is around 227,000 copies per volume for the time is mid tier jump sales.
I was more talking recently. I can very much see in the 80s and 90s why Jump wouldn't want a woman on the cover. Since than I really don't think Nisekoi/We Never Learn/To Love Ru/Yuuna ever pulled numbers worthy of being called a pillar.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What's with the desire to see a female editor or have a female protagonist as the face of the magazine? A lot of females read jump sure but first and foremost it's a magazine geared towards young boys. Hence have men's perspectives on stories, male protagonists as pillars and having men dictate the direction of the magazine seems like a no brainer.
I dont understand what you're saying. You do know, plenty of guys write Female-Led Media don't you? Plenty of guys songwrite songs for girls, direct movies with female leads, draw art feature females, etc.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
What's with the desire to see a female editor or have a female protagonist as the face of the magazine? A lot of females read jump sure but first and foremost it's a magazine geared towards young boys. Hence have men's perspectives on stories, male protagonists as pillars and having men dictate the direction of the magazine seems like a no brainer.
Okay. Lol.
Sooo with your logic, we can't have any female characters in manga written by men because they wouldn't know the female's perspective.

Many popular movies, songs, books etc are all written or co-written by females.

Having females write stories and/or female editors in a magazine aimed for boys is actually a great idea. It'll offer another perspective which is just as important as a male centric perspective.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shoseki Daily Ranking - 6/27

#60 World Trigger 22
#65 Jujutsu Kaisen 11
#75 Chainsaw Man 7
#164 Jigokuraku 10
#219 We Never Learn 17
#237 Mashle 1
Mashle is making me proud
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
*sigh*



The worst part is how proud they are of it...
No clear cut rules on obscenity huh?.....I wonder what the standards are on Violence, Blood and Gore, if they even have any.
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States
The current topic also reminds me of how lucky Arale from Dr Slump was to be a first female face years ago.

Then again, no one cared about the titular doctor (Senbei Norimaki) and everyone loves the crazy robot girl’s antics.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Anya is now the face of Jump+
Lala(?)/Momo were the face of Jump Square couple years ago

As I said from couple posts back, if Act Age and Undead x Unluck start selling more, Kei and Fuuko will be the face whether you like it or not (and Matsuri too from Akayashi).
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
I do believe Act age could get big enough for Yonagi to be put at the front of the magazine just like Emma did. Regarding the other newbies, if Time Paradox also gets to stay, you guys think Aino would be used as the face of the series?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
What's with the desire to see a female editor or have a female protagonist as the face of the magazine? A lot of females read jump sure but first and foremost it's a magazine geared towards young boys. Hence have men's perspectives on stories, male protagonists as pillars and having men dictate the direction of the magazine seems like a no brainer.
Because there are plenty of men involved in creating and producing things geared towards girls. Being a woman has borderline nothing to do with understanding what young boys are are into. In fact there are plenty of woman who raise sons, and assuming they’re someone who’s into manga enough that’d want to be an editor for one, they’d probably understand what young boys are into just as much, if not more, than the male editors.

I think having a female editor COULD give a positive perspective in the magazine (emphasis on “could”. I’m not saying this would absolutely without a doubt improve things).

There are soooo many series in Jump where the mangakas clearly have no understanding of how girls actually behave; and so many series where the creators either write romance HORRIBLY, or just miraculously puts the characters together off screen in a time skip because they admittedly have no clue of how romance works. (Bakuman, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Death Note, etc.)

Will hiring female editors mean that this issues would definitely be fixed? No. But having a female perspective on things wouldnt hurt, and could potentially help some series.
I’m also not saying “the horribly written romance in Naruto and Dragon Ball completely ruin the series for me”. I’m just saying these are small aspects where a female editor could make a small improvement.

With all that being said, that one interview where a female college student asked the EIC why there are no female editors; along with the pages from the Making Jump manga, clearly illustrate that Jump’s editorial department clearly have some misogynistic views towards woman (which ironically could explain why so many female characters are written horribly, get no screentime what so ever, are often only driven by having some sort of crush on a male main character, and only exist to one day become the main character’s wife off screen)
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Anya is now the face of Jump+
Lala(?)/Momo were the face of Jump Square couple years ago

As I said from couple posts back, if Act Age and Undead x Unluck start selling more, Kei and Fuuko will be the face whether you like it or not (and Matsuri too from Akayashi).
Well, Andy was in the last group cover and Fuuko was only the motif for his Koinobori so she probably wouldn't. I'm curious to see if for the next group cover they are going to show Matsuri as they are in the story now. Glad we're getting one soon.

I do believe Act age could get big enough for Yonagi to be put at the front of the magazine just like Emma did. Regarding the other newbies, if Time Paradox also gets to stay, you guys think Aino would be used as the face of the series?
She is not the main character. Even if she gets more popular than Teppei, it'd be putting Bakugou on the front and not Midoriya.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,076
Reaction score
6,934
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think having a female editor COULD give a positive perspective in the magazine (emphasis on “could”. I’m not saying this would absolutely without a doubt improve things).

There are soooo many series in Jump where the mangakas clearly have no understanding of how girls actually behave; and so many series where the creators either write romance HORRIBLY, or just miraculously puts the characters together off screen in a time skip because they admittedly have no clue of how romance works. (Bakuman, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Death Note, etc.)
I don't know if I'd agree with these sentiments beyond it in the ideological sense. In the practical sense, I wouldn't necessarily say femCreators are somehow masters of romance writing (leading to the stereotypical gender norms of "MEN LOVE ACTION - WOMEN LOVE ROMANCE" ). I'd rather say the creators and editors simply need to have a knowledge of how romance is handled and probably need to read or watch a wide range of romance books/novels.

The male editorial problem seems to be one of having a narrow and uninformed view of the subject matter at hand.

A female perspective could at least inform writers of
-Conversations girls actually have between each other in schools/hot baths (example...do girls really grab each others bewbies and compare sizes as they do in so many series?)
-Women empowerment
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
What's with the desire to see a female editor or have a female protagonist as the face of the magazine? A lot of females read jump sure but first and foremost it's a magazine geared towards young boys. Hence have men's perspectives on stories, male protagonists as pillars and having men dictate the direction of the magazine seems like a no brainer.
You do realise some of the most popular shonen manga of all time were written by women right? Hell Gotouge themselves are rumored to be female, even if there is no real confirmation for that.

By this logic Fullmetal alchemist, Urusei Yatsura, Ranma, Inuyasha, Reborn (quite possibly KNY) and so on all should've run in a shoujo magazine because a woman couldn't possibly know what guys want. Women know WSJ is a boy's magazine, it's not like they would try to change it into weekly shoujo jump.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I don't know if I'd agree with these sentiments beyond it in the ideological sense. In the practical sense, I wouldn't necessarily say femCreators are somehow masters of romance writing (leading to the stereotypical gender norms of "MEN LOVE ACTION - WOMEN LOVE ROMANCE" ). I'd rather say the creators and editors simply need to have a knowledge of how romance is handled and probably need to read or watch a wide range of romance books/novels.

The male editorial problem seems to be one of having a narrow and uninformed view of the subject matter at hand.

A female perspective could at least inform writers of
-Conversations girls actually have between each other in schools/hot baths (example...do girls really grab each others bewbies and compare sizes as they do in so many series?)
-Women empowerment
I agree. I don’t particularly think than men can’t write romance or good female characters. And I don’t think being a woman necessarily means they’d be better than writing romance than a man.

More so that at Jump I can’t particular think of many series at all where a creator successful developed a romance over the course of the series. I can count on one hand how many Battle series there are where the female characters aren’t sidelined most of the time, and/or only left to be the standard healer for the male characters. I’m not familiar with Jump’s romance series from decades ago, so I won’t say there NO good romance series in Jump, but most of their romance attempts now are at most just fun harems.

I don’t necessarily come to Jump for the romance, and the whole “Naruto only got with Hinata off screen” type of stuff doesn’t bother me THAT much. Just saying if they’re going to attempt including romance at all, it could still use A LOT of improvement. And the female characters in the magazine could just be treated better in general.

A woman’s perspective could definitely help. Having an all male editorial team clearly isn’t leading to any improvements, so it doesn’t hurt to add a woman’s perspective.

And even if hiring a woman led to absolutely no benefits, they still shouldn’t be all “wE dOnT hiRE wOMan cUZ dEy DoNT uNDErstAnD dA bOyS”. I’m sure there are plenty talented woman editors out there who would love to work for Jump but can’t because of this ignorant viewpoint
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Lmao, asking for female lead when there is still no female editor.
You guys do realize that WSJ is hella backward, right?
Someone posts that page from "how to make jump manga", please. You know which page I am talking about.
If we were to make a comparison, Jump is the WWE of manga. Both are run by absolute madmen to boot.
 

Lil meen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
502
Reaction score
754
Age
23
Country
United States
I agree. I don’t particularly think than men can’t write romance or good female characters. And I don’t think being a woman necessarily means they’d be better than writing romance than a man.

More so that at Jump I can’t particular think of many series at all where a creator successful developed a romance over the course of the series. I can count on one hand how many Battle series there are where the female characters aren’t sidelined most of the time, and/or only left to be the standard healer for the male characters. I’m not familiar with Jump’s romance series from decades ago, so I won’t say there NO good romance series in Jump, but most of their romance attempts now are at most just fun harems.

I don’t necessarily come to Jump for the romance, and the whole “Naruto only got with Hinata off screen” type of stuff doesn’t bother me THAT much. Just saying if they’re going to attempt including romance at all, it could still use A LOT of improvement. And the female characters in the magazine could just be treated better in general.

A woman’s perspective could definitely help. Having an all male editorial team clearly isn’t leading to any improvements, so it doesn’t hurt to add a woman’s perspective.

And even if hiring a woman led to absolutely no benefits, they still shouldn’t be all “wE dOnT hiRE wOMan cUZ dEy DoNT uNDErstAnD dA bOyS”. I’m sure there are plenty talented woman editors out there who would love to work for Jump but can’t because of this ignorant viewpoint
I just hope the next editor in chief isn’t as closed minded because a lot of shonen manga made by woman like d gray man, full metal alchemist, blue exorcist, magi, Hikaru no go, noragami, literally every Rumiko manga, etc. I seriously hope none of the authors are hiding there genders due to them having a possibility of getting backlash for it. It seems that other shonen magazines are more than willing to have female main characters and authors and still they make a ton of hits with boys so I don’t even get the mentality of that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top