Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
I feel like there's something wrong with the industry when 'not wanting to feel like I'm having a heart attack all the time' is described as selfishness.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
The "boy" in the middle is really not a boy at all, i'm pretty sure
In the oneshot he actually is a boy. The whole oneshot revolves around the other boys convincing him to become the female lol
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
The "boy" in the middle is really not a boy at all, i'm pretty sure
I thought so too, but they look awfully flat in that latest picture.


In the oneshot he actually is a boy. The whole oneshot revolves around the other boys convincing him to become the female lol
Well, there goes the last hope I had.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Guys, if I don't respond to reports instantly, it's because I like to read the thread before making a decision on the reported posts. There was a quick, rapid succession of reported posts just now, some complaining that I deleted one post without addressing others.

First of all, that's not the intended way to use the report function. It's not a revenge tool. Secondly, I like to be thorough. Give me time to ascertain context.

Thirdly, this is a volunteer position. None of us are getting paid for this, and I do have a life outside of MH. Please try to be a bit more patient in the future.

Now, having read the synopsis of Agravity Boys, can I ask you all exactly how it's homophobic/transphobic? It just seems like a standard gender-bender series. In an attempt for complete thoroughness, can someone explain to me why this series is homophobic/transphobic?
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
In the oneshot he actually is a boy. The whole oneshot revolves around the other boys convincing him to become the female lol
But you're talking about a 36 pages one shot, this is a serialization with 54 pages, it will already not be the exactly same content and i doubt a bit that the author would just do literally the same development considering the one shot is free to everybody read on Plus, my comment was more about the joke i made last week about betting that the boy in the middle would be revealed as a girl from the beginning in the end of the chapter.

Also, what is so terrible about the plot per se? isn't tagged as a sci-fi comedy?
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Guys, if I don't respond to reports instantly, it's because I like to read the thread before making a decision on the reported posts. There was a quick, rapid succession of reported posts just now, some complaining that I deleted one post without addressing others.

First of all, that's not the intended way to use the report function. It's not a revenge tool. Secondly, I like to be thorough. Give me time to ascertain context.

Thirdly, this is a volunteer position. None of us are getting paid for this, and I do have a life outside of MH. Please try to be a bit more patient in the future.

Now, having read the synopsis of Agravity Boys, can I ask you all exactly how it's homophobic/transphobic? It just seems like a standard gender-bender series. In an attempt for complete thoroughness, can someone explain to me why this series is homophobic/transphobic?
Basically, its that the entire premise is a minefield for really offensive and in poor taste gags, and between both the one-shot and the fact that's it's a comedy, I and a good number of others highly, highly doubt it won't dive into those headfirst.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think it's much better to WAIT for the actual chapter instead of making premature assumptions that the author will be "homophobic" with the manga and already starting to attack him and wish he gets cancelled, seriously, is just a few days and the chapter will be released.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
This doesn't really answer my question, though. Also, shouldn't we actually read the series before condemning it?
The funny thing is that gender bender series are something so old in this industry but when Shonen Jump starts one, suddenly is "a minefield for homophobic jokes" kkkkkk
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
The funny thing is that gender bender series are something so old in this industry but when Shonen Jump starts one, suddenly is "a minefield for homophobic jokes" kkkkkk
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
I assume Back Street Girls as that got an anime and Netflix even got worldwide rights for it although that's probably getting too far off topic.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
I love gender bender manga and also love Shonen Jump manga, but I'm not sure how well those two mix. This could be completely up my alley or bad. Looking forward to reading the chapter on Sunday I guess.
 

Jhonathan

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2019
Messages
337
Reaction score
387
Age
25
Country
Brazil
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
Well Boku girl is a recent gender bend series, and it was a popular enough to get 100 chapters
 
Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
I can't, but then again, most gender bender stuff is pretty niche, so it's neither aiming for a general appeal, nor is the general public really going out of their way to look for it. I do think you're not wrong to wonder what could happen, considering Jump is a much larger platform than most manga of this kind get, but at the end of the day I don't see this being that big of a deal unless it becomes like a smash hit or something. Tokyo Shinobi Squad caused a fair amount of controversy when the first chapter dropped, but nobody really cared after that because the series on a whole flopped so it left the spotlight.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
Ranma 1/2
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I can't, but then again, most gender bender stuff is pretty niche, so it's neither aiming for a general appeal, nor is the general public really going out of their way to look for it. I do think you're not wrong to wonder what could happen, considering Jump is a much larger platform than most manga of this kind get, but at the end of the day I don't see this being that big of a deal unless it becomes like a smash hit or something. Tokyo Shinobi Squad caused a fair amount of controversy when the first chapter dropped, but nobody really cared after that because the series on a whole flopped so it left the spotlight.
In fairness, that was in part because Shinobi itself forgot about that detail after Chapter 1. Agravity Boys entire premise appears to be contingent on this aspect of the plot
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ranma 1/2
Ranma is literally 30 years old
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,599
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Can you name me a recent gender bender/otokonoko series that wasn't a deliberate deconstruction like Bokura no ****** or Inside Mari and actually was accepted by the public? There's such a thing as a work of fiction becoming politically incorrect as values evolve.
Like mentioned, Backstreet Girls, hilarious manga, and Boku Girl from Young Jump was a pretty good and cute series, and these are just the ones that i read since isn't something that i really search to read, there are tons of gender bender series out there that have zero controversy surrounding it, so your entire point is just you forcing your "politically correct" views on it, you're just assuming stuff and going all "homophobic! i wish you get attacked and canceled", seriously Rain, not attacking you and anything, but be less please.
 
Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I think I’m the only person here that thing Agravity Boys sounds fun. Looking forward to it
I think it can be fun. Reserving judgment for after actually reading it since by premise alone I think my top series would look very different than they actually do.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
If Agravity Boys is keeping the oneshot premise for its serialization, then... I wish it the best of luck in the execution of its premise. I’m not saying it’s gonna be bad, but it’s going to be walking a fine line.

I’m honestly curious about it. Perhaps it’ll be good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top