Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,536
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MAPPA in the last years has many problems of schedule and production issues. Much like Madhouse, it's a former shell of itself. The only saving grace of them could be a talented staff but even so, schedule and other problems that comes from the studio could create production issues like it has been happening on everyone of their anime.


Actually, I think MAPPA basically had nothing to do with Sarazanmai, with basically all of the work coming from Lapin Track.

Could be wrong on that, but I risk going off topic.
No, you're right. Lapin Track was responsible for 90% of the series even if it was them and Mappa together.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Not saying that it’s confirmed to be MAPPA. But the whole “TOHO never worked with MAPPA before” and “it wouldn’t fit the studio” reasons aren’t solid reasonings.

Bones never made a Jump series before MHA
A1 never made a Jump series before Neverland.
Ufotable never made a Jump series before Demon Slayer
A-1 had nothing to do with Neverland. It was by Cloverworks, which is a different company.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
after Yuri on Ice most people should see MAPPA can do action very well

I guess people have problem with them over their business practices rather than their animation quality

I'm curious what series there are that we know have been longer than they maybe would've been because of foreign popularity.

I know there's a few anime that get more content due to overseas fans (and that number will probably keep increasing as licensing profits etc continue to grow), but I'm not sure about manga except some random speculation with no facts behind it (like some people thinking certain series perhaps got an extra final chapter because it was popular with viz readers or whatever).
WataMote mangaka have said 4chan saved it from cancellation
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I think people put too much stock into the "main" studio. Just yesterday Unreal Engine posted an interview with Cyclone Graphics about making the backgrounds of No Guns Life in the engine and I've seen praise for Madhouse for these backgrounds https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...omics-into-animation-with-real-time-rendering

I've seen people in this thread (or maybe last year's) talk about Cloverworks poor backgrounds on TPN and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely separate studio as well.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think people put too much stock into the "main" studio. Just yesterday Unreal Engine posted an interview with Cyclone Graphics about making the backgrounds of No Guns Life in the engine and I've seen praise for Madhouse for these backgrounds https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...omics-into-animation-with-real-time-rendering

I've seen people in this thread (or maybe last year's) talk about Cloverworks poor backgrounds on TPN and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely separate studio as well.
TPN's backgrounds were indeed made by another studio.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I think people put too much stock into the "main" studio. Just yesterday Unreal Engine posted an interview with Cyclone Graphics about making the backgrounds of No Guns Life in the engine and I've seen praise for Madhouse for these backgrounds https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...omics-into-animation-with-real-time-rendering

I've seen people in this thread (or maybe last year's) talk about Cloverworks poor backgrounds on TPN and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely separate studio as well.
That was probably me.

And it was. Same studio that does MHA's backgrounds, known as Atelier Musa (I believe). I just don't think they were a good fit for TPN. Compare that to Studio Pablo (who did backgrounds for Flip Flappers) and I think that would've been a much better fit.

I think I also mentioned that the new MHA movie got a new background studio, and it really shows.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is literally the first time I've ever even heard of "background studios."

I guess it makes sense to have different studios handle different things. I know game developers also do stuff like that.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Yonkou did say its a studio that likes to tack on projects and iirc people were saying MAPPA. Let's see if he's right or not. He did tease us with this info a few weeks back so if he gets it right then itll add to credibility, if not then he loses whatever credibility he has left.

Ufotable never made a Jump series before Demon Slayer
Ufotable has worked on Toriko, even if its a OVA, it doesnt change the fact that its their first Jump series they've worked on but yes I agree with you.

My only reason is that believing a guy that stated OPM 2020, DBS July and additional characters in Jump Force (this one being said to be internal information) is not the best option I would choose, lol. Still, we should have an official confirmation at Festa.
People harp on those but he's been right more often than not, hasn't he? Anyway this news of JJK potentially being adapted by MAPPA will say a lot about his credibility, for better or for worse.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
In fairness to Yonk, the DBS rumors were ones brought on by numerous sources (namely overseas studios) giving information that indicated the series was in production. It's just that, for whatever reason, it appears those plans fell through.
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
TPN's backgrounds were indeed made by another studio.
My reply is also to the one you quoted:
While one can say the main studio is not fully to blame, they can reject the poor work and ask them to redo it. If it has a bad backgrounds, it means that the main studio accepted the other studios work. So they do put some control and have expectations of what they should get. (I'm not trying to argue, but adding info to the topic)


And yeah, Ufotable did 2 Toriko OVAs. Heard the second one was even better than the first, but due to Toei license, it never was released outside of Jump Festa.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think people put too much stock into the "main" studio. Just yesterday Unreal Engine posted an interview with Cyclone Graphics about making the backgrounds of No Guns Life in the engine and I've seen praise for Madhouse for these backgrounds https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...omics-into-animation-with-real-time-rendering

I've seen people in this thread (or maybe last year's) talk about Cloverworks poor backgrounds on TPN and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a completely separate studio as well.
This is outsourcing, which the majority of the anime studios do. If you look at the credits, you see many studios doing it in an anime. In the case of No Guns Life and Neverland, the background was completely outsourced to another company, which from what I remember, are studios focused entirely on doing that for backgrounds.
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
This is literally the first time I've ever even heard of "background studios."

I guess it makes sense to have different studios handle different things. I know game developers also do stuff like that.
Kyoto animation and Ufotable are probably the only two studio that makes their own backgrounds. It's why many people say to focus on the staff. That includes roles like producers, art directors and director of photography because they can directly influence the show.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Disappointed if its Mappa, they are not that good when its battle shonen.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
MAPPA huh, could be worse I guess, just gotta hope the schedule isn't ass. Curious to see who the director will be.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,536
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Disappointed if its Mappa, they are not that good when its battle shonen.
Ushio to Tora was amazing, specially the final battle
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Is MAPPA doing a lot of adaptations for 2020? Dorohedoro aside
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
they're doing some Chinese dating simulator anime and Yuri on Ice movie


also regarding pacing complaints
both Ushio to Tora and Banana Fish were 1 episode = 1 volume
and it looks like Dorohedoro will follow that pacing too

I don't think they can do that with JJk otherwise they will run out o material after 10 episodes
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,499
Reaction score
39,536
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
both Ushio to Tora and Banana Fish were 1 episode = 1 volume
I don't know about Banana Fish but with Ushio its something more to do with Fujita mangas being always super long and the animes being complete adaptations, Karakuri Circus was 3 episode shorter and the manga have 43 volumes.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
they're doing some Chinese dating simulator anime and Yuri on Ice movie


also regarding pacing complaints
both Ushio to Tora and Banana Fish were 1 episode = 1 volume
and it looks like Dorohedoro will follow that pacing too

I don't think they can do that with JJk otherwise they will run out o material after 10 episodes
Yeah that worries me they'll fuck up the pacing. Maybe since that the series has only 7 volumes atm, they'll take it slower? Ushio & BF were complete at that time (I heard Fujita was involved with what to cut out). I remember Kakegurui getting some anime only ending lol.

Idk MAPPA doesnt strike me as the studio to do subsequent seasons (more than 2).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top