Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,596
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
So basically, what you think is that fans are buying en masse volumes up to 150 (!) chapters later of something they only are about for one sakuga episode. Even remaining as hyped as to flock the stores the instant the 2 new volumes of said series come out, months after the anime ended.

There is not even a need to tackle this argument. This isn't the first or the last sakuga moment in anime.
Nooo :hurrgasm , I was talking about the anime & the manga
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Why so much paragraphs and with so short texts.
Easier to read:mono
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Oh, I just saw now that they are literally having scissoring lmao Forget all what I said, I thought they were just nude.
Yeah. I didn't notice it at first either.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Nooo :hurrgasm , I was talking about the anime & the manga
I still fail to see your point. Sales and quality are not a linear correlation, they never were and never will be. Kimetsu isn't the best manga ever made and I hate to break it to you but neither is OP, and no amount of sales is going to make them so.
 

kakilangit

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2020
Messages
275
Reaction score
403
Age
34
Country
Indonesia
its so funny when i read front page...and so many wrong about KnY cant dethrone OP sell this year.. all thoughts that the manga already in peak..but nope... it will double OP 2011 record and leave behind OP this year..
how WSJ take this matter??? can they announced their own version like last year again...?
keep downplaying KnY...
i hope JJK will had boost too.....the manga Rock!!

-newbie-
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
I'm a huge fan of Fujimoto and CSM but I think he's crossing the line with the color page (plus other stuff). I don't dislike what he's been getting away with so far but if this keeps on going, then what is the point of Young Jump? What criteria will the editors use to decide whether a series is suitable for the shonen demographic or not?
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm a huge fan of Fujimoto and CSM but I think he's crossing the line with the color page (plus other stuff). I don't dislike what he's been getting away with so far but if this keeps on going, then what is the point of Young Jump? What criteria will the editors use to decide whether a series is suitable for the shonen demographic or not?
In fairness, there have been plenty of series that could have been in a shounen magazine instead of a seinen, so I fail to see why the opposite can't be true. If the entire magazine were CSM level I could understand the concern, but one or two series don't really change anything.

I also find it odd that people are so shocked by stuff Chainsaw Man does, but series like Yuuna and To Love Ru have been considerably more sexual, and series like Fist of the North Star, JoJo, etc. have been more violent at points. Hell, Bastard! covers both grounds pretty well(it had legitimate sex scenes, as I recall).

I guess it's something to do with a changing of the overall audience, I guess? People not interested/who haven't read those series might not really know none of this is particularly new, we just haven't seen a lot of it that recently.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Young Jump can't get any new hits to survive at all, Why would an author go somewhere where people clearly don't care about new manga?
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'm a huge fan of Fujimoto and CSM but I think he's crossing the line with the color page (plus other stuff). I don't dislike what he's been getting away with so far but if this keeps on going, then what is the point of Young Jump? What criteria will the editors use to decide whether a series is suitable for the shonen demographic or not?
Because demographics at this point are dumb and editors will determine what content is suitable for the actual audience the series and the magazine has, not the name they stated +50 years ago. If Magazine can have Domekano and Hitman, Jump can perfectly go through this.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
I'm a huge fan of Fujimoto and CSM but I think he's crossing the line with the color page (plus other stuff). I don't dislike what he's been getting away with so far but if this keeps on going, then what is the point of Young Jump? What criteria will the editors use to decide whether a series is suitable for the shonen demographic or not?
To be fair, apart from the scissoring (that doesn't necessarily need to be interpreted as sex), Yuuna has alreading shown as much skin and more sexualized.

I guess you can show explicit sex and female nipples.



In fairness, there have been plenty of series that could have been in a shounen magazine instead of a seinen, so I fail to see why the opposite can't be true. If the entire magazine were CSM level I could understand the concern, but one or two series don't really change anything.
I guess the difference is what you are allowed to show an audience.

You can show almost everything to an adult audience, so you can give them some "Shonen stories".

However, there are things censored for a younger audience. So, you can't show them all that a "Seinen story" can offer. That's why the female nipples are still hidden in this CP.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
To be fair, apart from the scissoring (that doesn't necessarily need to be interpreted as sex), Yuuna has alreading shown as much skin and more sexualized.

I guess you can show explicit sex and female nipples.




I guess the difference is what you are allowed to show an audience.

You can show almost everything to an adult audience, so you can give them some "Shonen stories".

However, there are things censored for a younger audience. So, you can't show them all that a "Seinen story" can offer. That's why the female nipples are still hidden in this CP.
My problem with this is that while "shounen" implies it is aimed at a younger audience, it means very little considering the average audience of WSJ is 18+ now. It being a shounen magazine isn't that important all these years later. They have Saikyou Jump and all that for children. Which is mostly a bad magazine, in my opinion. Do kids actually like feces jokes THAT much? I think they just think their younger audience is too stupid to care at this point.
 

Tarot

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
420
Reaction score
535
Country
Italy
In fairness, there have been plenty of series that could have been in a shounen magazine instead of a seinen, so I fail to see why the opposite can't be true. If the entire magazine were CSM level I could understand the concern, but one or two series don't really change anything.
Exactly but I just think YJ doesn't serve a purpose anymore. New authors will just point at CSM if any editor tells them their series isn't suitable for their demographic.
 

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Exactly but I just think YJ doesn't serve a purpose anymore. New authors will just point at CSM if any editor tell them their series isn't suitable for their demographic.
Ah, fair point, I get what you're saying. I think Shueisha specifically doesn't care much BECAUSE they own both magazines. If they're both going to have shounen and borderline seinen series, that to me just sounds like having 40 slots for whatever they want to run, without being limited by supposed demographics for each magazine.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I wake up to find Fujimoto the madlad and his LCP. Suprised at the reactions though. As a Yuuna reader, this is somewhat the same stuff we aleady see for our LCPs.
In fairness, there have been plenty of series that could have been in a shounen magazine instead of a seinen, so I fail to see why the opposite can't be true. If the entire magazine were CSM level I could understand the concern, but one or two series don't really change anything.

I also find it odd that people are so shocked by stuff Chainsaw Man does, but series like Yuuna and To Love Ru have been considerably more sexual, and series like Fist of the North Star, JoJo, etc. have been more violent at points. Hell, Bastard! covers both grounds pretty well(it had legitimate sex scenes, as I recall).

I guess it's something to do with a changing of the overall audience, I guess? People not interested/who haven't read those series might not really know none of this is particularly new, we just haven't seen a lot of it that recently.
I believe that most of what happened in Bastard!! is off screen. But there was a time where a..
Blowjob scene kinda happened.
I have a feeling that the nipples in Jigokuraku are what made Viz give it an M rating. The violence isn't any worse than what we see in Chainsaw and there's no F-bombs dropped. Makes me wonder if they would slap Yuuna with an M rating if they did licence it...
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
mongoloids
If you are going to swear, you could mind your word better and not use one that is a racial slur.

Ok bear with me:

The definition of overrated is something that doesn't live up to its reputation or the hype surrounding it. An example of something that would be described as overrated is a restaurant that everyone says is delicious but which really is just OK.

For what the show is and for the people that only watch the anime, for me I cant see it as *THAT GREAT of an show that does better than all other series* but you dont need complex stories to break number or something very new in the Demoghraph and I'm fine with that (but shitty isekai garbage), then again it's also for the casual viewers.


And atleast I dont hate an series for the sake of hating that is already a world record breaking series to get clout. I can call it overrated cuz people swing the word only as (a little buit famous show than "X" show) or only got hype once and never talked again or for the sake to trigger people.

But if I get these fans why they like the show, only for episode 19 while other animes also exist with similar dramatic meaning ... yeh,, it's hard to talk with these people.

All in all it impacted the causual viewers cuz believe it or not, you will always have millions people that are new into anime that have no knowledge about a demograph/genre/ or anything, this doesnt only apply for anime.

How kimetsu impacted was the dark aesthetic taisei era (were normally the edo era is the one that people resonate for watching japanese culture/anime for the old days), so that made it unique on it's own core. Besides that...

it's all about simplistic phasing/setting/goal/characters, with something like kimetsu made it perfectly mold with it's unique artstyle.. with tanjirou being an very kind mc with a passionate oni-chan persona and forgiving, people often say that it "break" the mc cliches when you have something similar already like yo (shaman king) or ichigo (bleach).

What I'm trying to say is, its overrated for what it is for being nothing actually new or refined with people calling it #1 anime of the decade with these many numbers broken records.

break so many records they fast cuz of the *ANIME* & episode 19 of our lord ufotable & why it onl works on kimetsu than other show is cuz of its simplistic concept that grab millions of casual viewers easily/ the mc & the aesthetic that people dont care about talking.

I'm really happy for the author imo, it's hard to make it into the business succeeding that much

I freaking love kimetsu, I read it since ch 14 came out and the aesthetic alone is what I was invested. Since I'm into art myself, The way the author use the breathing style for oldschool art of ukyio is wonderfulll


But if you say to me to be quiet for an series that is 22+ years established for being a phenomenal icon of an series that people hardly can replicate into their own story.. than you are asking to get hated on with actual arguments, I do agree on couple points with u with One piece. No series is perfect, that is something you have to know, it may look for u that people act that way but so do the fandom for kimetsu and literally every show.

Some are debatable for breaking doors/ being revolutionary or refined the Demoghraph.

I dont find kimetsu THAT good of series that makes kimetsu better than one piece.

Thanks for reading
I feel losing brain cells try to read this. Some people really don't know how to use words efficiently.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain

lgrmjauffre

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
462
Reaction score
1,159
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wake up to find Fujimoto the madlad and his LCP. Suprised at the reactions though. As a Yuuna reader, this is somewhat the same stuff we aleady see for our LCPs.

I believe that most of what happened in Bastard!! is off screen. But there was a time where a..
Blowjob scene kinda happened.
I have a feeling that the nipples in Jigokuraku are what made Viz give it an M rating. The violence isn't any worse than what we see in Chainsaw and there's no F-bombs dropped. Makes me wonder if they would slap Yuuna with an M rating if they did licence it...
I flipped through a random Bastard!! volume I had on my shelf, volume 2 even, so super early, and you were right; there's no explicit sex but damn does it come close to it and it's heavily implied it does indeed happen offscreen. Even MORE violent than I remembered, too.

Also, just in case you didn't know, Yuuna has been licensed in English by Seven Seas, but I assume you were just talking about if it HAD been Viz.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Kimetsu's growth is insane. Its surprising that the boost hasn't stopped. At this point, I'd say 2.25 million as an initial print is the basic minimum they need.

Ok bear with me:

The definition of overrated is something that doesn't live up to its reputation or the hype surrounding it. An example of something that would be described as overrated is a restaurant that everyone says is delicious but which really is just OK.

For what the show is and for the people that only watch the anime, for me I cant see it as *THAT GREAT of an show that does better than all other series* but you dont need complex stories to break number or something very new in the Demoghraph and I'm fine with that (but shitty isekai garbage), then again it's also for the casual viewers.


And atleast I dont hate an series for the sake of hating that is already a world record breaking series to get clout. I can call it overrated cuz people swing the word only as (a little buit famous show than "X" show) or only got hype once and never talked again or for the sake to trigger people.

But if I get these fans why they like the show, only for episode 19 while other animes also exist with similar dramatic meaning ... yeh,, it's hard to talk with these people.

All in all it impacted the causual viewers cuz believe it or not, you will always have millions people that are new into anime that have no knowledge about a demograph/genre/ or anything, this doesnt only apply for anime.

How kimetsu impacted was the dark aesthetic taisei era (were normally the edo era is the one that people resonate for watching japanese culture/anime for the old days), so that made it unique on it's own core. Besides that...

it's all about simplistic phasing/setting/goal/characters, with something like kimetsu made it perfectly mold with it's unique artstyle.. with tanjirou being an very kind mc with a passionate oni-chan persona and forgiving, people often say that it "break" the mc cliches when you have something similar already like yo (shaman king) or ichigo (bleach).

What I'm trying to say is, its overrated for what it is for being nothing actually new or refined with people calling it #1 anime of the decade with these many numbers broken records.

break so many records they fast cuz of the *ANIME* & episode 19 of our lord ufotable & why it onl works on kimetsu than other show is cuz of its simplistic concept that grab millions of casual viewers easily/ the mc & the aesthetic that people dont care about talking.

I'm really happy for the author imo, it's hard to make it into the business succeeding that much

I freaking love kimetsu, I read it since ch 14 came out and the aesthetic alone is what I was invested. Since I'm into art myself, The way the author use the breathing style for oldschool art of ukyio is wonderfulll


But if you say to me to be quiet for an series that is 22+ years established for being a phenomenal icon of an series that people hardly can replicate into their own story.. than you are asking to get hated on with actual arguments, I do agree on couple points with u with One piece. No series is perfect, that is something you have to know, it may look for u that people act that way but so do the fandom for kimetsu and literally every show.

Some are debatable for breaking doors/ being revolutionary or refined the Demoghraph.

I dont find kimetsu THAT good of series that makes kimetsu better than one piece.

Thanks for reading
You seem like someone who gets too excited when responding that you dont phrase your sentences properly.

As a tip for next time, take a deep breath or two every few minutes when typing.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
I flipped through a random Bastard!! volume I had on my shelf, volume 2 even, so super early, and you were right; there's no explicit sex but damn does it come close to it and it's heavily implied it does indeed happen offscreen. Even MORE violent than I remembered, too.

Also, just in case you didn't know, Yuuna has been licensed in English by Seven Seas, but I assume you were just talking about if it HAD been Viz.
The
"Blowjob"
scene happens in Volume 21 (literally the first chapter in the volume), but Viz gave up on the series after volume 19, probably due to that very scene, as Jason Thompson conjectures on his review of the series.

I already knew about "The Yuuna Situation", your guess was correct there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top