Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,573
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
95 votes, red color chosen as the first in Top 3, yellow as the 2nd and green as the 3rd
So red is first place? Wow, 50 out of 95 voted it for first place then. Not bad at all. Same with the 95 votes overall.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Having read the new ZIPMAN chapter, I think we could very well see it end next week (or 1-2 more than that at most). The pacing is extremely fast and it is slowly tying all things up.
 

puppeto4

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
82
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
Dropping guardian, doesn't look it'll do anything interesting at all with the flow of story up to this point
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
My Jump top-3 is pretty clear this week: 1. Chainsawman, 2. One Piece, 3. Jujutsu Kaisen

This weekly chapter of Chainsawman has been pure madness. And the panelling has been awesome

Special kudos to UndeadxUnluck
 
Last edited:

MysticCatto

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
229
Reaction score
293
Age
25
Country
Malaysia
This week's chapters are amazing!!

TPN had a satisfying chapter, and the art was a step up from the previous recent chapters which honestly didn't look too hot.

KnY was intense. I saw a comment on MangaPlus saying it felt anticlimactic, but I couldn't agree less.

One Piece threw a funny twist and set up hype. I think the panel layouts are way more dynamic compared to last few weeks'.

Jujutsu Kaisen was nice for me, mainly because it featured my two favorite characters, Nanami and Nobara. Not much happened, but the character who showed up at the end gives promise that next week's chapter will be fun.

Dr Stone is entertaining. Boichi enjoying himself again with the fanservice.

MHA manages to keep up its hype. I like hearing what the villain's perspective of heroes was like. Can't wait for next week's chapter. I feel that Horikoshi's art has never been better

Black Clover surprised me with Grey's backstory. Curious and excited to see how this arc unfolds, I hope Tabata gives us a great one.

Undead Unluck is refreshing. That's a cool way to give the characters indestructible clothing. I like the dynamic between the MCs and Shen, there's no usual "rivalry or resentment"

Chainsaw Man opened doors to so many questions. Interesting developments, but I'm a bit confused so I'll read it again later.

Act-Age was good. I'm glad with the way they executed the many days of the play and Yonagi and Chiyoko's development is good as well. Not much else to say.

Mitama is funny. The series' strength lies in its use of the spirits to do wacky things and its chill atmospheric overall.

Samurai 8, farewell.

My top this week are Black Clover, One Piece, MHA, UU, KNY
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
The art of agravity boys is great, second only to Dr Stone.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright this week, I liked the characterization of the older sister. Unfortunately, none of the gags did anything for me, and ending another chapter with "lol Koichiro stalks Mutsumi" left a bad taste in my mouth after a pretty good chapter.

Mitama was great again, I love how Salmon is casually getting coffee with the guys.

Zipman might genuinely end up in the U19 club, it's almost comical how fast it's going.

Agravity was strong, glad to see more sci-fi stuff.

UxU was great, I like it more each chapter

Mash was pretty good. I'm still not the biggest fan of it but this was the first chapter in a good while that I really liked

Witch Guardian I still feel nothing from

Haikyuu, Jujutsu, and One Piece were all great this week. KnY feels so close to the end, and this chapter
reminded me of Mayuri's Bankai
. TPN feels like it will end in about a volume. Sam8 had an alright end, the chapter felt like, "This is what I wanted to show off and do" rather than giving it an actual ending. Not a bad ending, but probably my least favorite from it's batch. Rest in Piece squid, we hardly chewed thee.
 

BX-02BLODIA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2019
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
2,052
Age
24
Country
United States
Chainsaw was madness, pure madness.

Jujutsu is top 3 for me this week for that one page.

Act-Age is....heating up.

UxU is going places.

So is MASHLE wanting to be an battle series too? Not too many gags this time around.

An odd Mitama. For the first time in a while, i'll say that this chapter didn't really grab me.

GotW would have been better if it was about this previous guardian.

Agravity was fun, this pick up arc opens up some posibilities.

Thus ends Samurai 8, a series with interesting ideas and lacking execution. Hopefully Okubo and Kishimoto do better next time.

Did I mention that Sawako is literally me?
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
This Neverland chapter has been pretty boring. I really expected way more, being the cover of this week etc.

Dr.Stone also felt boring (at least me) this week. Haikyuu I can't comment clearly but I didn't feel it. Act-age is a clear transition chapter.

MHA and JJK have been very good this week. Same for UxU and Mashle. Kimetsu has also been good. Black Clover has been decent while Yozakura this week has been boring.

Chainsawman has been this week, by miles, the best Jump manga.
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
S8's last chapter was even more rushed than I expected. I have many mixed feelings about S8, as much as Kishimoto wasn't able to stick to the landing and produce a high quality material, it had many nice concepts that I wanted to work, but oh well, time to say goodbye now. Kind of interesting GOTW chapter, definitely better than most we've had so far. Yozakura was pretty funny this week and we got to know a bit more of a character so I'm actually satisfied. Enjoyed Mashle this week as well, I like the addition to the cast and Komoto has been using their art better. KNY should be ending really soon if Gotouge isn't adding some SOL chapters in between. That CSM chapter was absolutely insane, what a amazing way to twist the story and set up the bigger picture for the later part of this arc. The panelling was exquisite as well, Fujimoto is a legend. JJK was pretty hype this week, Akutami is a master of panelling and showing movement through their airt, also glad to see that one character back. Horikoshi's delivering one of the best arcs in the series, I'm so excited to see what this all comes down to.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Yeah s8 final chapter felt rushed to hell. Not even a panel with Hachimaru's father receiving the sad news about his son lol.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
KnY feels so close to the end, and this chapter
reminded me of Mayuri's Bankai
.
I assume you haven't read Akira?

An odd Mitama. For the first time in a while, i'll say that this chapter didn't really grab me.
I agree, also reminded me too much of a chapter of Mieruko-chan honestly.
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,440
Reaction score
3,618
Age
26
Country
United States
With this week we've one step closer to having a chapter for each Yozakura family member, only Nanao left. Mitama was good, not it's greatest but still solid. Agravity was fun, as was Undead. Mashle was alright. I really feel like slowing things down to do a training arc is the last thing Guardian needs right now, I want to get to more interesting stuff, and at this point I'm starting to fear it'll get axed before it can do that. Zipman really could end next week, I wonder if between that and Samurai 8 ending, we'll see another small batch, or if they'll wait a bit for series like Neverland and probably Mitama to wrap up and do a bigger one. Speaking of, Samurai 8 was very "here's all this other stuff I wanted to do that I can't" and while that does make me a little sad that it's over, I'll probably forget about it soon.
 

Jorden Rivera

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2017
Messages
392
Reaction score
724
Age
29
Country
United States
JJK and Chainsaw Man are probably tied for my favorite chapter this week. JJK because Nanami is a GOAT that everyone needs to admire. Chainsaw Man because it just keeps escalating. Both of these series are in, what’s likely to be, their best arcs once they are finished.
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Oh since I hadn't said it, my favourite chapters of the week are CSM/KnY/JJK, and since it came out today I'll also add Jigokuraku.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Samurai 8 was such a waste of potential, it got 43 chapters, 3 times as much as a lot of flops, yet all the ending leaves me thinking is the series probably would've been a lot better if Hachimaru wasn't in it. Skip the first two volumes, make Ann the MC.

Also Agravity Boys went in a direction this chapter that it really needed to. I'm guessing that (if it stays around for a bit) it plans to go back to normal stuff once this arcs over and I have a feeling I'll be pretty disappointed once it does. Two space adventure sci-fi series in the magazine and one spent the whole time fighting in space on blank backgrounds, and the other's hanging around a forest showing what, two types of alien so far?

There's limitless potential to space series, do some world travel, show cool aliens and crazy planets. Don't waste it never bothering to explore.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
With this week we've one step closer to having a chapter for each Yozakura family member, only Nanao left.
wasnt the start of the Hinagiku arc with Nanao on a mission and taiyo has to help him
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Samurai 8 was such a waste of potential, it got 43 chapters, 3 times as much as a lot of flops, yet all the ending leaves me thinking is the series probably would've been a lot better if Hachimaru wasn't in it. Skip the first two volumes, make Ann the MC.

Also Agravity Boys went in a direction this chapter that it really needed to. I'm guessing that (if it stays around for a bit) it plans to go back to normal stuff once this arcs over and I have a feeling I'll be pretty disappointed once it does. Two space adventure sci-fi series in the magazine and one spent the whole time fighting in space on blank backgrounds, and the other's hanging around a forest showing what, two types of alien so far?

There's limitless potential to space series, do some world travel, show cool aliens and crazy planets. Don't waste it never bothering to explore.
Tbh, Ann had more traits of a shonen mc than Hachimaru.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top