So.. rain.. ummm then what about all the people that just bought it because of hype? (which in the case of KnY is 90% of its fanbase).Then they can't also feel emotional connection?
A cousin of mine just got to watch got during this quarentine and he watched like the whole 8 seasons in a single week, just because he binged it he can't feel an emotional connection?
Heck even I devoured some of my favorite manga to date, back when I had no internet and burned Edited Mangas into CDs, I literally read 19 volumes of BLEACH in a single sitting, HxH took me two days, Hikaru no Go, Hoshin Engi, Ichigo 100% was more or less the same.
Gatekeeping series just because you watched/read from the beginning is also a dumb argument, people can feel a range of emotions regardless if they read/watched something over various years or in a single weekend...
Though I do agree there is a sentiment of "nostalgia" that can't be replicated if you binge read/watch something vs following it as it airs/runs.
///////////////////
@Buranchi here's a list of what I consider non-derivative Jump manga or manga that even though derivative kinda made their own "genre" or where different enough from their inspirations.
Harenchi Gakuen was first ecchi.
Mazinger although not only ran in Jump and was being inspired by Tetsujin-28 go definetly gave a boost to Mecha genre.
Hokuto no Ken in a sense is like Dark Souls in that it kinda created its own genre of super muscular macho looking teenagers that gave birth to series like Otokojuku and JoJo.
JoJo itself later created a "genre" of its own (I might be wrong, maybe it wasn't the first manga to do this) of having characters with weird powers (and also having a physical representation of it).
So you have series like Shaman King, Yu-Gi-Oh, Persona where they take the "Stand" element.
But you also have series like Hunter x Hunter and some parts of Yu Yu Hakusjo where they took inspiration from JoJo's Bizarre battle system (as in battles are more battles of wits to than muscle).
Yu-Gi-Oh! was pretty original from its very beginning, and then later when it changed to card battle manga it basically created a genre (not sure if there was a battle card manga before..? Maybe an adaptation of Mtg or something).
Ginga Nagarebishi Gin I'm most likely 100% wrong but I don't know if any other manga before Ginga other than Kimba the white lion that had animals for main characters, ofc then other manga like Gon or Midori no Makibao.
Bakuman I guess is like a documentary of sorts I mean sure is slice of life but it's its own thing.
Barefoot Gen is an autobiographical account of the Hiroshima bombing.
Talking about spokon.. So
Ring Ni Kakero Is a direct homage to Ashita no Joe, but it kinda started the whole "incredible sports" genre and so many cliches that even though it is derivative of Ashita no Joe is almost as if it's a subversion of everything Ashita no Joe was, if AnJ is a dark, gritty, realistic boxing manga then Ring Ni Kakero Is a over the top, bizarre, unrealistic mess with bigger than life battles with literal boxing Jesus chanting his "Neo Bible" attack.
And other titles like Captain Tsubasa would steal its formula and become worldwide classics.
Hunter x Hunter is like Community (a sitcom where basically every episode is an homage to a genre of movie, also it's on Netflix you should watch it if you haven't ), every arc of HxH is a derivation of a typical Shonen genre.
At first it's pretty meh, like it's a normal battle tournament arc, then a rescue arc, Greed island is an isekai, battle card, sport arc, etc... The newest arc is like a Survival game.. I just hope that HxH becomes a manga that other mangas derivate from haha.
Death Note, kinds derivative from the whole mystery genre.. but it had a pretty unique premise to it.
The promised Neverland and Assasination classroom seem original too, but I haven't read them.